Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

How bad is your snow addiction ?

stewfox

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heavy disruptive snowfall.

Oh I'm of the same opinion. We'll get a major one at some point IMO but it doesn't guarantee snowfall here. Still, -15C was still some experience in Jan 2010....seeing steam rising from the street drains was like a scene from a thriller film. It hurt to breathe in such was the intensity of the cold! Car batteries dying everywhere!

That slider in Jan 13, are you talking about the one on that Friday afternoon that gave Birmingham 8 inches, it just stalled about 5 miles from me and I got Nothing, I got blasted on the Sunday night after it though!!!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, storms and other extremes

That slider in Jan 13, are you talking about the one on that Friday afternoon that gave Birmingham 8 inches, it just stalled about 5 miles from me and I got Nothing, I got blasted on the Sunday night after it though!!!

Yep that Friday that was absolutely magical. Could have been better depth wise but certainly sweet (and I'm sure you'll forgive me for this one) seeing places like Stockport and the usual suspects missing out. It felt well deserved that we finally got a semi decent fall of snow!

• Like 1

Posted

Yep that Friday that was absolutely magical. Could have been better depth wise but certainly sweet (and I'm sure you'll forgive me for this one) seeing places like Stockport and the usual suspects missing out. It felt well deserved that we finally got a semi decent fall of snow!

I will forgive you, surely its only the East of Stockport that usually gets blasted though isn't it.

Posted

Not much but not bad for here...

post-10987-0-02540400-1438477439_thumb.j

I will forgive you, surely its only the East of Stockport that usually gets blasted though isn't it.

Yes it rises fairly quickly as you head out towards Marple way and up towards Ashton etc

• Like 1

Posted

Not much but not bad for here...

attachicon.gifDSC_0286.JPG

Yes it rises fairly quickly as you head out towards Marple way and up towards Ashton etc

That's a decent fall, you got to settle for that, I remember between 97 and 07 in the West Midlands, I didn't have a fall greater than 2 inches, I had gave up until it all kicked off on feb 1st 2009, although I was in Salford and got Nothing, it gave me confidence that finally the potent Easterly hoodoo had been blown away and the myth that a pasting was impossible.

Posted

I've also noticed (thanks to March 2013) that we need a SE'ly element to the wind rather than a direct E'ly with undercutting events. We're right at the southern end of a Cheshire/Manchester rain shadow with a direct E'ly.

Posted

I've also noticed (thanks to March 2013) that we need a SE'ly element to the wind rather than a direct E'ly with undercutting events. We're right at the southern end of a Cheshire/Manchester rain shadow with a direct E'ly.

You were probably too marginal for March 13 anyway though were you not? My mate got Rain in Manchester while 11 miles North East, we had an almighty blizzard for 24 hours.

Edited by feb1991blizzard

Posted

You were probably too marginal for March 13 anyway though were you not?

Yes, a lot of the drizzly snow that did fall just simply wetted the roads. However I firmly believe had precipitation intensity been greater (without rain shadow) we would have seen snow stick.

• Like 1

Posted

Yes, a lot of the drizzly snow that did fall just simply wetted the roads. However I firmly believe had precipitation intensity been greater (without rain shadow) we would have seen snow stick.

Oh mind you there was a few Easterlies in March, I was talking the late March Thursday night and Friday night one, all this talk is putting me in the mood too early, I might not even still be here by the time the winter occurs, I hope I am but I could be in Birmingham or even Crawley!!!

Posted

Oh mind you there was a few Easterlies in March, I was talking the late March Thursday night and Friday night one, all this talk is putting me in the mood too early, I might not even still be here by the time the winter occurs, I hope I am but I could be in Birmingham or even Crawley!!!

Can I have your old house?! :p:rofl:

Posted

Can I have your old house?! :p:rofl:

You can get better than that round here im 600ft and within 1.5 miles its 1000ft.

On the plus side, theres a very outside chance of Buxton or Flash for me, I would have to do very well and have some serious luck for that though.

Edited by feb1991blizzard

Posted

You can get better than that round here im 600ft and within 1.5 miles its 1000ft.

On the plus side, theres a very outside chance of Buxton or Flash for me, I would have to do very well and have some serious luck for that though.

Oh yes, the higher the better! I'm living with a housemate at the moment who can't understand any of this though and hates the snow....boo hiss! I don't get people who aren't fascinated by snow, just can't get my head around it :p

• Like 1

Posted

Oh yes, the higher the better! I'm living with a housemate at the moment who can't understand any of this though and hates the snow....boo hiss! I don't get people who aren't fascinated by snow, just can't get my head around it :p

Yes I agree, its like patriotism, snow rules this forum, I don't know what drives it, perhaps its us that re nuts and everyone else is right but I point to the online Netweather stats when a cold spell is due, that suggests we are in the majority, anyway I thought you had a missus.

Posted

Yes I agree, its like patriotism, snow rules this forum, I don't know what drives it, perhaps its us that re nuts and everyone else is right but I point to the online Netweather stats when a cold spell is due, that suggests we are in the majority, anyway I thought you had a missus.

Edit: Replied via PM

Edited by CreweCold

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter - Heavy Snow Summer - Hot with Night time Thunderstorms

I would say this is about a 3/10 for me. Used to be about a 7 but unless there is very heavy and significant cold like December 2010 (because it's noteworthy and rare) but otherwise I have no real interest in winter whatsoever. Give Me a nice hot and sunny day where I can freely explore and do everything outdoors without shivering.

Besides we don't tend to get much snow in the midlands/south west so it's rarely disruptive.

• Like 1

At this time of year my snow addiction is non existent, though I do have an addiction to endless 30C days of blue sky, the late sun sets of a month ago with the beautiful twilight which last for ages and the occasional thunderstorm for the benefit of the vegetation. :yahoo:

Then into autumn, again with mostly dry sunny days where the kaleidoscope of fallen leaves stay dry and crisp instead of gathering in a soggy mess with the temperature slowly dropping to end up with bright frosty crispy mornings. :)

Then into winter, again with bright sunny days and blue skies to compensate for the shorter days about -5C with occasional snow to keep the a pristine white cover and winds to build beautifully shaped drifts which I look and marvel at. :clap:  This is the time of my snow addiction. I would ban grey skies except when it is snowing - in winter there is nothing better than looking at snow covered branches against a backdrop of a beautiful azure sky and when the wind has dropped it can feel surprisingly warm.   :good:

Towards the end of winter I prefer the snow to sublimate rather than melt into a slushy mess with the temps gradually rising to the upper teens/lower 20's. :clap:

What I hate is grey skies with drizzle, fog and soggy conditions underfoot. :(

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, cold, cold and errrr......cold. I am, unashamedly, a cold fan.

I don't really care if it snows or not as long as it's cold. Snow is a huge bonus. :)

Posted

I was seeing someone from Stockport at the time of the 09/10 event and I can tell you now I think I'd have preferred that event than that of Dec '10 if I lived there too! I remember her struggling down here early Jan '10 and me being shocked that there was still a solid foot of snow iced on to the top of her car when she got here, never seen anything like it. There was about 3cm lying here!

It was an unbelievably potent streamer event and it still cuts me up that I missed it all by about 12 miles!

You poor sod! :rofl:

But yeah, Jan 2010 is still the benchmark in terms of snow and cold for me, beating Dec 10 for temperatures and snow depth. It was the closest I've come to experiencing "proper" winter conditions, as per most places on our latitude.

In terms of snow in Stockport, I'm fairly central and low-lying, so not the best location in theory, yet I have seen some spectacular snow events here over the last 5 years. Stockport rapidly rises in altitude to the east, and places like Marple can genuinely get pasted with snow, it settles earlier, deeper and lasts longer round that way, to the point that winter there can actually be relatively "severe" by UK standards.

Posted

Well I think I am fairly highly placed on this scale, I am already watching videos of snow in Buffalo, Rochester NY, and Sapporo Japan. Whilst waiting for the Snow in Northern Hemisphere Thread

I'm not a great fan of extreme cold but I just love heavy falls of snow. The most memorable for me lately have to be

March 2013 (the 18th roughly?) 25cm+

Jan 2013 (22ndish?) 20/25cm

I have a very vague memory of the 2009-2010 winters as that's when I became interested in weather, however I do remember the event on Feb2-3rd 2009 (what got me hooked). Plenty of snow from that easterly and I remember trudging through it on my way home from a friends house.

I fair pretty well here (apart from last winter) at 160m asl however I am hoping next winter I will do better than here as I am hoping to be in Leeds

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and Thunderstorms

I have a big addiction to snow i love going out into the peak district in it, rather ironic that i came close to losing my life in it too.

The Snowfall of 2010 was one of the biggest i have ever seen in my life around these parts we had 2ft of snow and my car was buried for a week the gritters couldn't get up our road due to abandoned cars it was manic, especially with there being a school on that road.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: extremes the unusual and interesting facts

Well I think I am fairly highly placed on this scale, I am already watching videos of snow in Buffalo, Rochester NY, and Sapporo Japan. Whilst waiting for the Snow in Northern Hemisphere Thread

I'm not a great fan of extreme cold but I just love heavy falls of snow. The most memorable for me lately have to be

I have a very vague memory of the 2009-2010 winters as that's when I became interested in weather, however I do remember the event on Feb2-3rd 2009 (what got me hooked). Plenty of snow from that easterly and I remember trudging through it on my way home from a friends house.

I fair pretty well here (apart from last winter) at 160m asl however I am hoping next winter I will do better than here as I am hoping to be in Leeds

Do not expect to have more snow in Leeds than Lichfield,you may have less! If you can get further into the pennines west of leeds it is a different world similar to the Staffordshire moorlands .

Posted

I am around a 9 on this scale. If snow is forecast over night I will check out the window every time I wake up. I will also stay up a little later to see it start. Lamp post watching is a time consuming hobby when winter rears it's head!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow, heat, thunderstorms

Do not expect to have more snow in Leeds than Lichfield,you may have less! If you can get further into the pennines west of leeds it is a different world similar to the Staffordshire moorlands .

Leeds is a good city for snow, by UK standards - certainly better than most. Of course, you can go further west and receive a lot more, but as far as cities go, it's a good place to be. We received over a foot of snow in January 2013 and a similar amount in March 2013. The past winter, we had about 3 inches in January which remained on the ground for a few days - while most of the country got very little to nothing at all.

'Staffordshire' is off to Uni so he can't really live in the Pennines. Sheffield would be better, but Leeds is still a safe bet most of the time.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: obviously snow!

Now I would never watch that ever, have no interest at all, but all have preferences