Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

How bad is your snow addiction ?

stewfox

Posted

Nice photo's Nick.It looks a lovely location too.You seem to have the best of both worlds there.Snow in Winter when you need it and plenty of sun and warmth in Summer i guess.

I was a 10 in 1963 when as a 14yo had 9 weeks of lying snow to enjoy with my friends.

Now in my more senior years more a 7 or 8

.I enjoy a walk in it  when it's stopped falling and take photos but prefer to watch it falling from inside the warmth of the house.I do find clearing the drive and getting around more of a chore of course now but a snowy day is still a thing of beauty to me.

Thanks Phil. I used to be a 10 but can't manage the all nighters anymore staring out of the window! Although if snow is forecast I still tend to wake up early with anticipation. I think snow is still one of the most beautiful things though, it really is otherworldly. The thing I most love is that feeling of disconnection from the outside world, its like a comfort blanket where you feel in this weird place of serenity where the worlds problems hit the " snow forcefield".

Does this make sense? I think snow  connects to a spirituality or something within us that's difficult to really put into words. I'd better stop before people call the men in white coats to come and take me away!

• Like 8

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: SNAW

Things are so bad im going to be watching 'The day after tomorrow' again tonight....3rd time this week...I think I may need some professional help....when I was a kid in the early-mid 80's(some stunning winters even in the South East of England) I used to stand at the back door watching the snow falling believing that if I watched it snow it would get heavier....best snow fall I remember was December 1981 and Feb 1991....then March 2013....oh such a distant memory....

• Like 5

Posted

Thanks Phil. I used to be a 10 but can't manage the all nighters anymore staring out of the window! Although if snow is forecast I still tend to wake up early with anticipation. I think snow is still one of the most beautiful things though, it really is otherworldly. The thing I most love is that feeling of disconnection from the outside world, its like a comfort blanket where you feel in this weird place of serenity where the worlds problems hit the " snow forcefield".

Does this make sense? I think snow  connects to a spirituality or something within us that's difficult to really put into words. I'd better stop before people call the men in white coats to come and take me away!

With you 100% Nick....the outside world is  so beautiful and clean when all is covered in beautiful white...as soon as I see that first flake falling its like something happens inside and I cant help run from window to window looking at it falling...drive Mrs Bigsnow made so it does....my boys I think understand and at 4,6 and 8 they all scream the house down as soon as snow is falling...I think I may have passed the Snow Gene on to them.... ;)

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold/snow winter, Warm/hot summer, Thunderstorms, Severe Gales

10, probably down to the fact i live in a anti snow climate though, cant expect more than 3/4 days of snow falling in an average year id say, so it more special when it does actually snow.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Hot and Sunny but not opressive

I'm at least an 8. Before I found netweather forums I would check every going site I knew in the hope of the forecast I wanted to see. And when the event comes nearer I would watch the forecast on every tv channel available for near the whole day incase there was an update. Mad to think I did that, still do but not as much as have this great forum to fall back on . Used to drive my parents insane . Oh yeah when I was really young snow was forecast and there wasn't the forecast so frequent as there is now I ran out a £100 bill calling weather call . Soon got barred from the house.

• Like 8

Posted

With you 100% Nick....the outside world is  so beautiful and clean when all is covered in beautiful white...as soon as I see that first flake falling its like something happens inside and I cant help run from window to window looking at it falling...drive Mrs Bigsnow made so it does....my boys I think understand and at 4,6 and 8 they all scream the house down as soon as snow is falling...I think I may have passed the Snow Gene on to them.... ;)

That's great and especially nice that your kids have that snow passion. It's good that they took after their father!

• Like 1

Posted

Weather call was how I heard about the snowfest of Feb 91 was coming I told my parents that it was coming for about a week or so drove them mental....then the phone bill came in and I wished weather call had never been...lol...

• Like 1

Posted

Minus ten. I know, I know, who would have thought it.

And here I was thinking you loved a bit of snow and cold...lol.... :rofl:

With Mark on the MOD Thread....you need to get back in there...I don't like mild stuff but at least you stuck to ya guns and said it how you saw it...

Edited by bigsnow
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Hot and Sunny but not opressive

Minus ten. I know, I know, who would have thought it.

ha ha love it. Weather lovers from all spectrums . I thought you were a coldie knocker :-)

Miss your input in the model thread even if it is not what I want to see. The more info I see the better for such an amateur like me.

Edited by Mark wheeler
  • Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, snow and summer heatwaves.

Easy 10 here I have to admit.

I'll book days off as holiday just to see a transient snow event because of the added help of elevation at home and get really angry if I miss a snow event at home while at work lower down in rain. So hard to hide my excitement or disappointment if snow forecast falls flat.

Has broken up relationships as I've grown up because they claim it is an obsession   :nonono:  :rofl:  I could go on with many more examples and to this day I don't understand why I am up at 4am etc etc I just think it must be because I grew up in 80's while we had some decent snowy winters?

• Like 8

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow then clear and frosty.

Last Winter in Arctic Norway-a mad moment when i reverted to my childhood

Pensioner in the snow

post-2026-0-96131400-1418426167_thumb.jp

couldn't resist,lol.

• Like 8

Posted

A big fat 0  thank god its rare especially here in this town, I love our climate for that reason, just need more thunderstorms

if the climate turned snowy, i would emigrate, without any doubt 

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: anticyclonic unless a snow storm

Is there anyone on here who has or would foresake a summer holiday to go on a winter break instead that guaranteed snow?

I would say I am an 8. I sometimes cannot sleep when snow is forecast to start falling in the early hours and position myself so I can see the lamppost from the bed!

Though I am not a 10 because I also like other winter weather like haw frost and clear blue sky days like that is forecast for tomorrow.

Edited by BlueSkies_do_I_see
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine, convective precipitation, snow, thunderstorms, "episodic" months.

I am somewhere around the 8-9 mark, and I think my parents and sister are somewhere around 6-7 on average.  One of my late grandparents was definitely very close to zero on that scale though!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow Showers, Snowy Periods , Blizzards, Cold Weather

Id say a 9 as wouldn't drive for miles for snow but I love it so much! Just something you can't beat about snow falling in your own back yard/garden!

• Like 2

Posted

I would rank myself a 9 for as long as I live here.

That is Hobart, Australia's southern most city. Light snow will settle in the suburban foothills once, twice or maybe three times a year ( 200-300m ) but it is very rare for snow flurries to occur in the CBD at all ( near sealevel ). That's where I live. Brief snow flurries will usually occur once every three years or so but almost always after dark, and there has been no settled snow since 1986. The rarity fuels the excitement, and I have had sleepless nights with high anticipation. I also don't have a streetlamp nearby (!) so when precipitation on the roof peeters out with a changing sound, I'm out the front door at 3am to see what's going on. This forum is also great entertainment this time of year.

• Like 7

I'd go for 9 but with reservations - it has to be that lovely dry fluffy powdery snow, especially when it blown in the wind creating great sculptures on the landscape, surprising enough when it is like that all thoughts of it being cold get taken away by the wonderment of it all, then let it gradually sublimate under a crystal clear azure sky and bright sunshine, gradually to fade away.

On the other hand, and this is why I subtracted '1' - if it is that horrible wet slushy stuff forget it - can't abide that stuff.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Southerly tracking low pressure in winter. Hot and thundery in the summer

I'm at least an 8. Before I found netweather forums I would check every going site I knew in the hope of the forecast I wanted to see. And when the event comes nearer I would watch the forecast on every tv channel available for near the whole day incase there was an update. Mad to think I did that, still do but not as much as have this great forum to fall back on . Used to drive my parents insane . Oh yeah when I was really young snow was forecast and there wasn't the forecast so frequent as there is now I ran out a £100 bill calling weather call . Soon got barred from the house.

Haha that's what I use to do.when I was a kid u use to call this long range forecast in the hope it mentioning snow a week away. I got banned from the house phone as a kid cause I ran up massive bill after massive bill. I found weather two before netweather . But since netweather iv never looked back and it's almost changed my life since ! Sounds mad doesn't but that's the truth.

I would put myself as a 10 .

examples :

Stay up all night with window open taking videos and pictures :

Lampost watching waiting for the first signs of the rain turning sleety gradually watching the transition to snow and the first signs of slush on car and pavements !:

Back in November I actually became obsessed with the Web cams in upstate new york with the buffalo lake effect snowfall . Litterelly obsessed completely in awe reading the forums over there and how they feel as strongly as we do over hear about the snow lol:

Snow has the power to change make or break my day so if it changes path at last minute I become a vile man and use to just go out and get hammered with my mates to forget it !!!:

And finally the fact Iv been awake since 5:30am reading this and decided the post at this silly hour really says it all doesn't it ?!! :

Oh and yes iv moved me and the mrs to the cotswolds 700ft above sea level!! :

Definitely a 10 there I'm afraid I don't no how my poor wife copes LOL!!

• Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer heat and winter cold, and a bit of snow when on offer

Used to be a 10 although growing up in the late 60's where winters seemed to deliver and at an altitude where usually they delivered to I often got my fix.

Into working life, serious winter snow such as in 1979 and those of the early 80's started to put me off due to how more difficult it seems to make everyday living.

Then came the snow drought of the late 80's onwards and I genuinely started to miss the white stuff.

Now I'd put me as an 8 when it's forecast and when I can get out on foot to enjoy it but only a 3 when trying to clear the car or drive in it.

Very much a sign of getting older but the kid in me is still there, especially when it's the right type of snow - fine powder and blowing about over frozen surfaces.

Wet and slushy as we had this week and sorry but I'll swap it for plain old wet.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny Warm summers Cold Frosty winters

I would say 8 as a kid probably more like 10.