Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

How bad is your snow addiction ?

stewfox

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Northeasterly Blizzard and sub zero temperatures.

Snow addiction fans would love this chart from February 1969. Yes, this produced a proper Polar Low with very low temperatures and widespread deep snowfall in the North of England. I remember it well, 9 inches at Manchester Airport on the edge of the Cheshire Plain and 15 inches in the Cheshire Peak with deep snow drifts. The temperature at 4pm was -5c just after the Polar Low passed and fell to -20c in the days following.

C

post-3489-0-25649500-1438180780_thumb.gi

• Like 4

Posted

I should changed my name to thunder owl as that is my biggest addiction in weather.

Snow seen plenty of that,but thunderstorms are much harder to come by.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, storms and other extremes

I'm an easy 10 on the scale....You know it's bad when you're analysing the height above sea level of certain parts WITHIN the same town, a town that averages 50m asl. No chance of me moving to a 'dipped' part of town (about 45m asl) but every chance of me moving to a house at 55m asl :rofl:

• Like 1

Posted

It's your opinion but I feel I have to exercise my opinion as regards to this. I think you need to go to Specsavers because it can be a thing of beauty. This is what I took 5 years ago

2010_09070031-1.jpg

Has to be Dec '10? For sheer beauty of rime and generally picturesque scenes, that month surely has to be up there with the very best of them. Magical. Looking back, I think we should all be humbled that we got to witness the month of December 2010 (very nearly the coldest ever December on record), months like that don't come round that often!

Damn, given myself goosebumps now just thinking about it!

Edited by CreweCold
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Location: South Shields Tyne & Wear half mile from the coast.
  • Location: South Shields Tyne & Wear half mile from the coast.

If it snowed at 21℃ I'd be a happy man..!!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Spanish plumes, hot and sunny with thunderstorms

Its alright watching it snow, its when it settles then it becomes a ballache. Im more addicted to watching it melt. Nowt better than watching mild winds get to work on a lawn full of mucky slush and compacted ice thats no good to anyone.

• Like 4

Posted

Snow brings a dead world alive. Skeleton trees seem to come alive, the drab colours are replaced by a brilliant white, decaying vegetation is covered. It brings a "light" to the long dark nights. A full moon and a snow cover is a beautiful sight.

Edited by Weather-history
  • Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: obviously snow!

That is the most welcome feeling after a cold spell - watching those lovely warm southerlies charge in and put an end to the misery that has ensued for days on end.

eh? lovely warm southerlies? hardly, just a miserable dull windy thaw normally with rain at around 8C

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow!

That's magical: rime and snow is a beautiful combination. For me, it's also the sound; there's a certain kind of muffled stillness that you just don't get at any other time. Just a shame it's so damn rare.   

Stunning photo Yarmy

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hoar Frost, Snow, Misty Autumn mornings

Stunning photo Yarmy

It's Weather-history's work.  :good:

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hoar Frost, Snow, Misty Autumn mornings

Watching it thaw is much more fun for me because by that point, I know that the misery is nearly over as that soft mild air rushes in across the land. When it's falling, my spirits fall with it as I have to mentally prepare myself for disruption and my arthritic knee causing me a lot of pain, which I hardly enjoy. Yeah... snow sucks, in all honesty.

Last year you were well up for it:  :)

https://forum.netweather.tv/topic/80936-autumn-2014-forecasts-thoughts-predictions/page-4#entry3016635

Tempora mutantur and all that though, and people can like whatever they want. :good:

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Click on my name - sorry, it was too long to fit here......

I had a week in Iceland earlier this year which was just magical, touring around glaciers, glacial lakes, waterfalls etc., all with complete snow cover and beautiful blue skies. Even the incoming waves had frozen at the sea's edge. An awe inspiring place with beautiful weather, the only thing missing was a day of snowfall to see it being topped up (well, an erupting volcano would have been nice too, but Bardarbunga had just stopped...)

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: Cold & Snowy, Summer: Just not hot

December 2010...will we ever see its like again? A magical month that was. Stunning photos there WH.

Posted

December 2010...will we ever see its like again? A magical month that was. Stunning photos there WH.

Yes I posted, I think, a fair number of photos from the heaviest fall that I think Doncaster has ever had. 35cm of dry snow between 1730 30 November and 0800 1 December

Other than vague memories of an 8 year old in January-February 1947 that is also the most snow I have seen fall in England. About average for the Alps but that is another story!

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: obviously snow!

Yes it was December 2010

2010_09070004.jpg

2010_09070029.jpg

2010_09070027.jpg

2010_09070019.jpg

7th Dec was amazing here, thick rime and bright blue skies all day, and rime never thawed in the sun, the 8th though turned slightly less cold with a thaw of rime

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and heatwave

Well i think 25th September 1885 had snow falling in London, so will be starting lamp post watching shortly.

• Like 2

Posted

Well i think 25th September 1885 had snow falling in London, so will be starting lamp post watching shortly.

It was certainly rather cold for the time of year then, but looking at 850hPa temperatures (in this case around -1C or -2C) it was probably soft hail in a convective shower:

http://www.wetterzentrale.de/pics/archive/ra/1885/Rrea00218850925.gif

Posted

I've lost the original copy of this :( but you'll have to take my word for it that this was a stunning photo that I took in Dec '10 (have had to take this lower resolution one off Facebook). Crystal blue sky with the bright white rime

post-10987-0-57103100-1438281974_thumb.j

Edited by CreweCold

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: Cold & Snowy, Summer: Just not hot

Yes I posted, I think, a fair number of photos from the heaviest fall that I think Doncaster has ever had. 35cm of dry snow between 1730 30 November and 0800 1 December

Other than vague memories of an 8 year old in January-February 1947 that is also the most snow I have seen fall in England. About average for the Alps but that is another story!

Didn't get a great deal of snow back in Cannock compared to many parts of the country, but still got 5-6 inches. It was the severity of the cold that was incredible for me, and the snow we did get lasted for weeks. A marvellous month.

But my snow addiction is still off the scale, even if my life is made difficult at work because of it :D

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and heatwave

It was certainly rather cold for the time of year then, but looking at 850hPa temperatures (in this case around -1C or -2C) it was probably soft hail in a convective shower:

http://www.wetterzentrale.de/pics/archive/ra/1885/Rrea00218850925.gif

I was going on this

http://www.ukweatherworld.co.uk/forum/index.php?/topic/68103-earliest-london-snowfall-september-1885/

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: extremes the unusual and interesting facts

The 'Holy grail' for me would be a winter to end all winters,starting very early in October and running right through into May.I do not know what years would be nearest to this but the years that spring to mind [although quite short from it] are 1978/79 1954/55 and 1916/17.

• Like 1

Posted

It would be off the scale nothing beats a picturesque Victorian style village in a blanket of thick snow. Even in London it can make the city beautiful it just evokes nostalgia to me of winters past.

• Like 3