Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

How bad is your snow addiction ?

stewfox

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm dry summers

defo 10 it totally controls my mood, when it does snow i kick off if the postman crosses the garden and spoils my perfect snow blanket USE THE PATH, i do not let the kids play in the back garden because i want it left untouched (my god i am evil) i am more than happy for them and me to go and make snow angels in neighbours gardens of course, i remember back in 2002 i think it was i went to bed with it snowing really heavy a few inches had already laid, to my horror when i woke in the morning it was slush i was completely devastated this was not forecast to happen, my whole day was ruined, i would love to move to canada i have mentioned it to the wife a few times but its a no go, anyway lets hope for some soon  :good: 

Bjorli in Norway does well for snow slightly closer than Canada :)

http://www.bjorliwinter.com/ - http://www.bjorliwinter.com/#!winter/mainPage

Edited by Summer Sun
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: extremes the unusual and interesting facts

I guess been born and bred at 340m in the pennines and worked 15 years at 360m snow is something I am very used to and in some ways winter is not winter without snow.It has been great to see some recent years returning to what we were accustomed to 20 yearsago and before,being out in the winters of1995,1990,1986,1981 and 1979 at that altitude is something specialyet due to circumstances beyond my control I find myself living down at 100m.What a contrast and I find myself craving to get back to higher ground as soon as the snow falls.I guess it is not so bad as I can see most high ground round here but I think the big difference between me and most on here is that I love long hot summers just as much.Summer would not be summer without the winter and vice versa !!!

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Extreme Events

I'm probably about a 9. Winter 09/10 was my first full winter away from Manchester living on the edge of the moors with Mrs formula one fan. I was really excited about the amount of snow we got that winter, her not so much. By December 2010 it became clear she didn't like snow as much as me so I decided to give her 1. :)

Now we have a lovely 3 year old daughter who gets excited even if snow is just on the TV.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sun, Snow and Storms

I guess been born and bred at 340m in the pennines and worked 15 years at 360m snow is something I am very used to and in some ways winter is not winter without snow.It has been great to see some recent years returning to what we were accustomed to 20 yearsago and before,being out in the winters of1995,1990,1986,1981 and 1979 at that altitude is something specialyet due to circumstances beyond my control I find myself living down at 100m.What a contrast and I find myself craving to get back to higher ground as soon as the snow falls.I guess it is not so bad as I can see most high ground round here but I think the big difference between me and most on here is that I love long hot summers just as much.Summer would not be summer without the winter and vice versa !!!

Hillbilly,

I feel you are trying to portray yourself as being a balanced person! (you have written the most balanced post)

However I think you need to see a physchiatrist (?)  before its too late (?)  You MUST be misleading yourself!!!!!

Come on,    let it all out. Don't keep it bottled  up. It'll do you no good!

I think you need help!!!  

(LOL)

MIA

• Like 1

• 7 months later...
Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Northeasterly Blizzard and sub zero temperatures.

Ever since experiencing the holy kalt  of winters in 62/63, my addiction to snow has never diminished with time. Now I spent 6 months of the year living in it and still crave for the first fall to occur. Even in the summer I sometimes drive  or walk up to the highest bergs in the area to touch it.

post-3489-0-01623100-1438075837_thumb.jp

Edited by carinthian
  • Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heavy disruptive snowfall.

Why do you constantly give me crap for not liking snow? Would it be fair if I went around giving everyone rubbish for not liking 30C and bright sunshine in summer, which I could happily tolerate? This thread asks people about how much they like it... it is not just a thread solely for people who will gush over it and say how great it is.

And no, I don't have a rain addiction either. As I think I have told you a million times, my prefered pattern in winter is mild and spring-like.

I thought you did like snow a little bit, certainly don't get the impression you hate it completely on the winter threads.

Posted

I say it like that so that my bias doesn't spoil it for those who do like it. If I was in there saying stuff like "God I hate this, hope it turns to rain straight away, or this sucks I hope it doesn't stick blah blah blah", I'd come across as an even bigger misery than I do right now.

Think you've just got to be honest TBH, I don't pretend to like heatwaves although I like it when the upper trough moves in from the West afterwards over a massively hot lower atmosphere and causes some serious fireworks

Posted
  • Location: Derbyshire Peak District South Pennines Middleton & Smerrill Tops 305m (1001ft) asl.
  • Location: Derbyshire Peak District South Pennines Middleton & Smerrill Tops 305m (1001ft) asl.

Yes WH, Beauty at its best this is from 2010 Snowdonia at dawn. Absolute heaven..

post-12319-0-47776100-1438107403_thumb.j

post-12319-0-97353500-1438107543_thumb.j

Edited by Polar Maritime
  • Like 4

Posted

No it can't.

Can I ask you what weather types can be a thing of beauty then?, baring in mind that if there wasn't ever any cloud then it wouldn't be called weather, it would be climate so clear skies really doesn't define weather in the true sense of the word.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: Cold & Snowy, Summer: Just not hot

No it can't.

In your opinion, perhaps not. Personally I think that photo is stunning. There aren't many better weather-related sights than a fresh covering of snow in my view.

Edited by Nick L
  • Like 6

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold and Snow -20 would be nice :)

Can't stand the stuff myself you would never see me in Lapland in minus thirty conditions you must have a really bad addiction to do that :whistling:

post-11006-0-17375900-1438107492_thumb.jpost-11006-0-51945900-1438107707_thumb.j

Edited by Dancerwithwings
  • Like 2

Posted

Thunderstorms.

They are exciting I will give you that, its just we rely on luck too much with them, to get an absolute stonker is rare cause they really need to be right over head with only a millisecond between the thunder and lightning.

Edited by feb1991blizzard

Posted

Snow addicts, how about a roll in this lot ? Outside my place back in February 2013. El Nino , means only one thing, snow for all of you before Christmas and lots of it. White out Blighty !

C

post-3489-0-11227300-1438109770_thumb.jp

• Like 8

Posted

Snow addicts, how about a roll in this lot ? Outside my place back in February 2013. El Nino , means only one thing, snow for all of you before Christmas and lots of it. White out Blighty !

C

attachicon.gif1398068_799997923371743_5329663870368125677_o.jpg

I take it that's the ski region and not sussex!!!!,    the very high parts round here slightly resembled that in Late March 2013 though!!!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow, heat, thunderstorms

I just fund it funny that people point fingers and say certain weather is disruptive when they themselves pine over other weather types that are equally if not more disruptive. Seems hypocritical to me. Anything that isn't benign and calm is usually a nuisance 

That being said, I'm not as obsessed with snow as I used to be, and will happily sacrifice a cold winter for a warm summer. I thought winter 2013/2014 would be the death of me, but you know what? I didn't really care at all. It just wasn't that big of a deal. It's only the weather after all.

• Like 1

Posted

I take it that's the ski region and not sussex!!!!,    the very high parts round here slightly resembled that in Late March 2013 though!!!

Yes, its in the Lungau at 1650m asl. Sussex Downs can sometimes cop it in a unstable NEly, have seen some deep drifts in East Sussex and Kent High Weald.

c

• Like 1

Posted

Carinthian, What can i say! Fantastic.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and warm in summer, thunderstorms, snow, fog, frost, squall lines

Am a 6 or 7 nowadays, after being a 9 or 10 years ago when we used to get decent cold spells and snowfall. When I was a teen thru the 80s I'd watch every single weather forecast, wouldn't be able to sleep, would lamppost watch out of an open window etc...my poor Mum used to go mad and everyone would take the mickey out of my weather obsession. These days, I'm not so keen on it. What I hate are slow thaws and temps above freezing in a 'cold' spell, which is what usually happens near London since the 90's. Decent snow events must have at least 2 consecutive ice days and nights or I'd rather it just rained and was mild.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hoar Frost, Snow, Misty Autumn mornings

It's your opinion but I feel I have to exercise my opinion as regards to this. I think you need to go to Specsavers because it can be a thing of beauty. This is what I took 5 years ago

2010_09070031-1.jpg

That's magical: rime and snow is a beautiful combination. For me, it's also the sound; there's a certain kind of muffled stillness that you just don't get at any other time. Just a shame it's so damn rare.   

• Like 7

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow,cold,frost,fog,wind,rain

I would love the chance to be addicted to snow! I feel a winter without any severe events is pretty much a wasted winter. I despise the summer I really do. I don't judge those who don't however lol nothing better than when the days are short, crisp evenings followed by heavy snow. Admittedly when it starts affecting transport for more than a couple of days,even for me it gets a bit much, but I'd rather have snow than high temps (anything over 10 degrees!) any day of the week

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, thunderstorms, gales. All extremes except humidity.

I guess that I am at the higher end. This weekend I will be driving up to the Central Highlands looking for snow patches on the hills.

I can still remember the sense of disappointment of waking up in mid Jan 2011 to find my grass clear of snow for the first time in fifty odd days.

Used to drive up to visit my folks in the Highlands most Winter weekends when there was no snow here with the excuse of getting the kids some sledging (but it was really for me).

• Like 1