Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

How bad is your snow addiction ?

stewfox

Posted

Since winter 1962/63 I have been a 10, and no sign of my desire for snow waning as I get older. Winter 62/63 absolutely converted me to snow and cold. I remember being totally dismayed in March when the grass started showing through the snow for the first time since December 26!

I have been on ice and snow holidays and made an igloo and spent the night in it using my boots as a pillow. They were frozen in the morning, but the sleep was pretty good and in the morning we could stand on the igloo roof and it still stayed up OK.

No matter what I am doing, I will shovel snow at the drop of a hat. When it looks good for snow I put the snow shovel outside the backdoor in the hope I'll be digging myself out in the morning. I usually get up during the night to check on snow progress and the charts.

Behind us we have hilly fields and there are several spots whee the snow is always very deep when we get a good fall. i head straight to those with the dog!

I simply love snow and am obsessed by it. My partner is about a 4 and accepts my snow obsession, even encourages it slightly!

• Like 3

Posted

minus 1 million

:laugh: , take it you hate it more than me ,    to be honest i am probably a 1 or 2 , I just like  one huge blizzard per year that will last a few hours , be accompanied with a gale , drifting, and of course  some thunder, all for the spectacle of it......  as long as it clears away again the next day and does not refreeze and i can see the green and pleasant land again :p

I also like snow events that turn back to rain, quite satisfying

Edited by IanR

Posted

Thought I was on a different forum when I saw the thread title

10 for snow

1 for winter generally, with cold and ice and fog and stops you doing stuff , travel disruption etc

I'd be happy for a mild winter overall with 3 or 4 short lived cold snaps with fallng snow

• Like 1

Posted

Id say a 9, which is annoying in my location as i can often see the hills to the west being covered with snow while here we get sleet and rain!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Varied and not extreme.

Pragmatically, being disabled, I'm around a 3 or a 4, but, instinctively, probably a 7 or an 8, so I perhaps average-out at a 6,  Depending on how pragmatic I have to be on that day/in that week, I vary between a 4/5 and 8.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sun, sleet, Snow

Mine is under control thanks to me becoming addicted to alcohol instead! It makes the pain go away and stops me from going postal!

• Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine, thunder, hail & heavy snow

Probably about an 8 or 9. Snow is one of those things that's tricky not to think about. I like to do what some of the others do - guard the window and street lights when ever snow is likely to fall - even if it's just a slight chance that something wintry might occur. Sometimes go as far as going outside with the backlight on, even late at night, to survey the wintry scene!

There's just something about this type of weather that makes it so interesting to watch. Even when the snow isn't settling, just love watching the snowflakes hurry past each other before hitting the ground. And I can spend literally most of the day watching it snow. That's pretty much how strong my obsession/addiction is regarding wintry weather.

Edited by DiagonalRedLine
(to correct a little mistake)

I recall a snowy night back in the late 70's when I was stationed at Hemel Hempstead - it fell quite quickly and as a result the patrol vehicles were 'grounded' but that didn't apply to me - I was a sergeant, so I took out one of the patrol cars and drove up to the villages - between Hudnall and Little Gadesden there was something of an escarpment lowering towards the east, the direction from which the wind and the snow was blowing. 

A number of drifts about a foot deep had established themselves across the road and I experienced the utter joy and exhilaration of getting that car up to about 40 mph and ploughing through these drifts with the powder snow cascading over the bonnet just like the waves going over the bow of a destroyer in heavy seas.  

The first experience of real blizzard conditions was when I was lad of about 11 years travelling over the Lincolnshire Wolds - this blog refers to this: https://forum.netweather.tv/user/3118-mike-meehan/ 

The next was a few later but not that long afterwards - I was living in a village called Holton le Clay about 5 miles south of Grimsby - the day started off fairly calm and cloudy, then in the early afternoon I noticed that the twigs and branches were starting to twitch in the wind, then by the evening it had started to snow with the wind freshening to quite strong. By then I was hoping for something similar to my blog above.

I went to bed but was unable to sleep, so when everybody else was asleep I put my dressing gown on over my panjams, put on my slippers and went outside to investigate - the wind was still strong, though the snow had eased somewhat and I was a little disappointed but nevertheless I had a good look round. some smallish drifts had formed and I marvelled at the beauty of it all. Funny enough despite the scarcity of clothing I do not recall feeling cold.

Edited by mike Meehan

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sun, Snow and Storms

Hi guys,

Ithink I have varied a bit in my life -

Grew up having to go to school 2 miles away in hills and couuntry lanes in the late 40's. I had to walk and loved it. Even in the bad winters of 47 and early 50's where the snow was drifted to twice my height! I must have been an 11 at that stage.

Later at secondary school age had to travel about 5 miles along the A1 in North Notts in my dad's old Morris Minor whenever the school bus didn't arrive (particularly 56)! I remember having the feeling I was skating on ice at times that year along quite a wide flat road, but there was very litle traffic around fortunately, so I rate myself as a 10 at that stage.

Before i retired (15 years ago) I used to do a lot of driving. So I took myself of to have lessons in skid control. Each year thereafter, as soon as any snow fell I used to dash off to a local hardpatch and have an update (it really is like a riding a bike, or skiing, in that once you have the skills, they soon come back).

I rate myself as a 9 at that stage because I had all the usual addictions, but I was still aware of how little control many others drivers had. I remember being sat patiently waiting at some traffic lights, when suddenly a car overtook me silently skiing along into the oncoming traffic with the lady driver looking transfixed. That sort of thing did worry me!.

I put it down to the fact that in the 90's and 2000's people did not need those skills.

Since retiring I must admit to being a 12.!!!

I have recently resorted to subterfuge to feed my addiction! I told the wife that we needed to lop a tree down in the front garden because it was overhanging the pavement. The real reason? yes you've guessed it, it obscured the lamppost opposite from my bed!!.

Although I try to sleep if these is a chance of a snowflake, I wake up about every 10mins and look at the lamppost. I'm very fortunate the wife is a good sleeper and understands my addiction!. (She is probably a 6 on the scsle).

I have even refused to go away on holiday this year in the january to march period!

The reason?. Yep you guessed it -

I was away in Australia in 2010 and I missed the snows of 2012 as I went to South America on Jan 9th, just as the Easterly started. (It WAS the exact same day it started!) What sort of luck is that. I am not leaving it to chance this year!!

So I need help. PS I also need to get to the skidpan again. I think even that is an addiction now!

Any suggestion or help would be gratefully received.

MIA

• Like 8

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow deprived so anything white.

8.. Not up to letting it dictate where I live but have driven milesaway, up a hill (dartmoor, ivinghoe beacon) in the middle of the night to stand in it falling. Love it.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot summers, snowy winters and thunderstorms!

About an 8. I'm not obsessive, but I adore it when it comes and will lampost watch, but not stay up to do so.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot & Sunny, Cold & Snowy

Sadly my addiction was cured by the winter of 10/11' with the constant worry of a special needs son and the lack of ability to evac him to the Children's ward if he went down ( and all the schooling he missed when transport was unable to access us).

I used to be a proper snow nut and learned the art of lamp post watching by 7 or 8 years old ( the tall lamps over the East Lanc's road when heavy snow came through).

I remember some notable falls whilst at junior school ( no school closures back then !!!!) in the late 60's early 70's and one very special 'White Christmas' that seemed perfect for everything Christmassy!!!

My biggest falls have occurred since moving up into the hills of West Yorkshire and predominantly of 'powder snow' which makes the 'lamp post thing' a bit more of an art form!

I am currently down in the valley ( around 110m) so miss most of our falls ( over 200m ) but it does make travel easier whilst making the tops look very pretty!

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow/Thunderstorms

Quite bad as i go out chasing the Snow in the Peak District a lot and have got myself into a few hairy situations and got stuck a few times  :fool:

Im quite the same, I find myself driving some very remote locations in the Moors/Wolds on single track roads or trying to conquer the steepest hill with my winter tyres on. I get quite a thrill out of it all, but like yourself sometimes I lose the battle, however I always make sure I am equipped. Good atmospheric music, 50p flakes in the full beam and noone else around. Sorted!

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine and 15-25c

ill go for 0...been there done that and got the t-shirt ...i have seen more snow than you can shake a stick at....i really dont understand what the fascination is???

• Like 3

Posted

ill go for 0...been there done that and got the t-shirt ...i have seen more snow than you can shake a stick at....i really dont understand what the fascination is???

Well you would say that, a bit like a guy from Death Valley wondering why Brits get all giddy at the prospect of 30C in summer (but to be fair, I wonder exactly the same thing).  Snow? Please itself for me - all I ask is that if it's gonna snow, it does it right.

• Like 3

Thank God I'm not alone. I must be a 9.

Ever since I was a small lad I've been fascinated by the stuff. I still remember at the age of 5 looking out the window on boxing day 1962, the start of the big freeze. I think I got a sledge a couple of years later and had regular trips out to Bisham Hill, near Maidenhead to use it. At the time, most of the sledges were big wooden things, taking up to 4 people, typically half of whom would fall off before the sledge got to the bottom! All part of the fun. I still find it mesmerising and a wonder to behold.

In some ways the addiction is worse these days. In the old days, you just had to hope. Now there are 6 hourly updates of  GFS charts to waste time looking at, on the hope that they may improve.

Maybe we need a snow addiction clinic? On the basis, that the only cure is 'too much snow', perhaps we should open one in  Switzerland,  where you are forced to go out in the white stuff everyday, all day, until you can't stand the it any more.  

• Like 1

Posted

A Big fat 9 for me,the curtain twitching,lampost watchin,finding out where the floor boards dont creek as a kid,the breathing downwards at the windows as to not condence it,trying to sneak out at work every 10 mins or so.

I think growing up in the late 70s,80s is the reason for me.Had to scratch the ice off inside the bedroom window occasionally to view and open the window to let all the cold air out lol.Many obstacles to overcome there was lol.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Spanish plumes, hot and sunny with thunderstorms

Got to be a 2 from me. Its fairly interesting to see a fresh fall of snow but in reality Its just like sand falling from the sky, but white. If it hangs around it gets in the way of going about my daily life and its problematic to drive in. Im also too old for snowballs and snowmen. A sizeable fall overnight that has gone by the end of the day would be nice however.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything extreme

I suppose I would rank as a 10 because I've been obsessive about keeping met' records for the last 50 odd years and would regard it as a personal failure of significant magnitude if I missed a blob of sleet falling in cold rain during the depths of the night.

For that reason I have frequently crawled from a warm bed in the early hours of the morning to sit in the car and watch the windscreen with a powerful torch, or stand with a torch and  a piece of wet perspex/glass  above my head to catch that elusive speck of sleet in a marginal situation.

My enthusiasm isn't limited to sleet/snow either. I've often got out of bed in the early hours and walked 500 yards to the top of the moor behind my house  to do 20 minutes of measuring in stinging rain and hail, or snow, with a hand held anemometer during severe gales.

The long suffering Mrs Terminal has been known to offer some choice phrases as I've slid back into bed almost numb with cold and thinks my behaviour is symptomatic of me teetering on the edge of insanity .

• Like 6

Posted
  • Location: Derbyshire Peak District South Pennines Middleton & Smerrill Tops 305m (1001ft) asl.
  • Location: Derbyshire Peak District South Pennines Middleton & Smerrill Tops 305m (1001ft) asl.

Very much the same TM, I even started climbing mountains to catch the Snow which has led me onto further things, And chose my house location with Snow being top priority with isolation giving more chance of being cut-off.. Iv'e lived within 0.5m of my current location all my life apart from a few years at Strontian in Scotland.   Luckily Mrs Maritime loves Snow to, But does think i'm a little over the top! Since being a young lad it's fascinated me, I love getting up in the night and taking a walk over the snow fields with the Dog especially during a full Moon with clear sky's and no wind with sub-zero temps, It really is magical! So a 10 for me.

Edited by Polar Maritime
  • Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: As long as it's not North Sea muck, I'll cope.

I've not read the thread, apart from the opening poster's comment. Bizarre tbh. If you're an adult and are able to drive, a 'snow fix' is very easy. If you're a child or incapacitated (physically or financially) then I'd cut you some slack. The OP didn't say observing snow from his/her house though.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, Snow, Storms, Snow Thunder, Supercells, all weather extremes

defo 10 it totally controls my mood, when it does snow i kick off if the postman crosses the garden and spoils my perfect snow blanket USE THE PATH, i do not let the kids play in the back garden because i want it left untouched (my god i am evil) i am more than happy for them and me to go and make snow angels in neighbours gardens of course, i remember back in 2002 i think it was i went to bed with it snowing really heavy a few inches had already laid, to my horror when i woke in the morning it was slush i was completely devastated this was not forecast to happen, my whole day was ruined, i would love to move to canada i have mentioned it to the wife a few times but its a no go, anyway lets hope for some soon  :good: 

• Like 3