Scotland to Reduce Drink Drive Limit

a few ECHR cases in the future I would imagine !!!.....

What, trying to get your EU licence back? The one with the EU flag on it?

I think it is reciprocal, i.e. if your licence is taken off you in any EU state then they inform the UK authorities.

In the UK, the DVLA is a shared institution so certainly if a Scottish court sentences you to loss of licence, then that's it.

Well to me that's not fair , being banned in you own country even though you never broke the law there ,btw I'm a professional driver and don't drink at all when driving , if God forbid I was caught not that I do ,I would fight it tooth and nail !!...

So If I commit murder in France and get back to the UK without being caught I'm laughing? I mean I haven't broken any law in the UK right?

Drink driving is a criminal offence mind (EDIT, turns out speeding and stuff are too) rather than a civil one like parking violations.

Edited by scottish skier
  • Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Because everyone has a small amount of alcohol in their system from natural sources, even those who from abstain from alcohol.   Have the limit low, yes, but zero tolerance would mean everybody is a

Well that argument is kind of moot seeing as no one is banning drinking altogether...

As an average, a person will 'process' one unit of alcohol an hour, although different factors can affect this rate. There are roughly two units of alcohol in a pint of weak to normal strength beer. S

What, trying to get your EU licence back? The one with the EU flag on it?

why not , the clues in the human rights bit isn't it ? ,or is Europe truly twisted ( not going there ) !!!!

I don't think you understand the point. You will have your EU licence revoked and therefore banned from driving in EU countries.

I don't think you understand the point. You will have your EU licence revoked and therefore banned from driving in EU countries.

not quite I have been banned from driving in France a couple of years ago ,(speeding ) never stopped me driving here !..

not quite I have been banned from driving in France a couple of years ago ,(speeding ) never stopped me driving here !..

I'm honestly not sure (I know they are working on better cross-border integration of such things), but in Scotland, it is the DVLA, Swansea, who will remove your licence if a Scottish court decides that.

In the meantime you need to take up any complaints with the UK government as it's a reserved matter. While the laws governing drink driving limits are devolved to Scotland, penalties apply UK-wide as the UK remains a union state for now. While Scotland is an independent legal jurisdiction, if you break the law here, you have broken UK law and vice versa.

Edited by scottish skier

I'm honestly not sure (I know they are working on better cross-border integration of such things), but in Scotland, it is the DVLA, Swansea, who will remove your licence if a Scottish court decides that.

In the meantime you need to take up any complaints with the UK government as it's a reserved matter. While the laws governing drink driving limits are devolved to Scotland, penalties apply UK-wide as the UK remains a union state for now.

don't get me wrong , I agree with the principle of 50 mg , just better if it was for the whole country :)..... Funny that , banned in Scotland ,live in England ,and the Welsh remove your licence. !!!!... Edited by Mokidugway
  • Like 1

don't get me wrong , I agree with the principle of 50 mg , just better if it was for the whole country :).....

Better then to lobby Westminster and get rUK to follow Scotland's lead rather than complain about a lower limit north of the border. 

I am proud of the fact that Holyrood has taken a stand on this.

Edited by frogesque

In the meantime you need to take up any complaints with the UK government as it's a reserved matter. While the laws governing drink driving limits are devolved to Scotland, penalties apply UK-wide as the UK remains a union state for now. While Scotland is an independent legal jurisdiction, if you break the law here, you have broken UK law and vice versa.

Just showing up the shambolic state of devolution we currently have really. I wonder if anyone knows what would actually happen?

don't get me wrong , I agree with the principle of 50 mg , just better if it was for the whole country :)..... Funny that , banned in Scotland ,live in England ,and the Welsh remove your licence. !!!!...

LOL. True.

It's all a bit of a muddle really. Don't try and appeal to the Supreme court in London anyway; it doesn't have the power to overrule Scots courts as that would breach the treaty of union (independence of Scots law). You'd be better going to the ECHR - so it could be useful after all... :wink: 

Phew! You all got me worried there that just because I got married in Vegas, it would mean I was also married here!

Why didn't you nip over the border to Gretna Green? Would have been quicker for a shotgun wedding. :) 

As long as you didn't have too much of a tipple first that is...

Edited by scottish skier
  • Like 1

Most of our ancestors relied on alcohol to help their health.

Drinking it saves us from disease, in moderation.

Our DNA has relied on it to save us from over populated water courses until the Victorian sewage systems.

I think the Scottish are playing with fire closing down on drinking like that,

Leave it as it is and don't pander to modern Internet reactionary life. chill.....Let older people finish their life's in peace please, stop changing things and peoples way of life.

Yes people die but life is full of chances, live a little and stop dictating for everybody, boring, boring...................Our DNA would not exist still without the alcoholic drinks we are about to do away with. If pubs are not going to be able to sell a beer with a meal then its over. No pubs. Next day after 3 pints still no drive. No pubs. 

• Like 2

In fact I will go further, I hereby denounce Scotland as boring with a capitol B.

Alex won, we should have not bothered trying, Britain is no longer great. Sorry for all the Scots that thought otherwise. :hi: 

Pubs are about to meet their Lord Beeching, Axe and all...the writing is on the wall.

I give up, god help people, they have nothing now.

• Like 1

Most of our ancestors relied on alcohol to help their health.

Drinking it saves us from disease, in moderation.

Our DNA has relied on it to save us from over populated water courses until the Victorian sewage systems.

I think the Scottish are playing with fire closing down on drinking like that,

Leave it as it is and don't pander to modern Internet reactionary life. chill.....Let older people finish their life's in peace please, stop changing things and peoples way of life.

Yes people die but life is full of chances, live a little and stop dictating for everybody, boring, boring...................Our DNA would not exist still without the alcoholic drinks we are about to do away with. If pubs are not going to be able to sell a beer with a meal then its over. No pubs. Next day after 3 pints still no drive. No pubs. 

Well that argument is kind of moot seeing as no one is banning drinking altogether...

Edited by Lauren
  • Like 2

Although it is indisputable fact that the human reaction speed is affected by even small amounts of alcohol, and that drinking a large amount and driving is putting yours and others life in grave danger, you have to distinguish between someone who has been to the pub for 2 or 3 pints and is driving back at night and going 10mph slower than the speed limit, and repeat offenders who constantly drive while absolutely smashed, surely someone just over the limit but driving slower is compensating for his reaction time by driving slower.

If a pub can not serve a pie and a pint then we are all boring, so yes its over.

No pint then, why drive to a pub, for the single pint. No pub, just watch it happen.

The older people are keeping pubs alive as it is, not twenty somethings without cars.

Edited by Rustynailer

The point about saving lives is , just that , without regular alcohol, just watch people suffer. No fault of their own, just take off them what they have grown up with, 

Always had a beer with dinner, then, now't. Thanks mate, never hurt a fly, yet NO.

Hey rusty. I I enjoy reading some o f your off beat posts , but you did come in at a bit of a tangent and probably upset some of our Scottish friends ?...

Na.

I see his point and to an extent empathise, but don't agree when it comes to the main point.

If the limit was draconian, I'd be concerned, but it's not - just standard. rUK stands out now.

If you want to have some brews, then knock yourself out <has a sup of a beer>, but just don't get behind the wheel.

I love driving. Ice and snaw driving particularly. I also like a beer. The two don't mix.

---

Only thing Rusty needs to update re the Scots is to complain about Nicola now rather than Alex. :wink: 

Edited by scottish skier
  • Like 1

Strange really what happens with age - in my youth I was quite a seasoned drinker, not excessive by the standards of those days - about 4 pints of cooking bitter and I never had any qualms about driving afterwards. However with the advance of time things have changed considerably - about 20 years ago I started to notice that taking alcohol during the day made me feel a bit whoozy after only a couple of Demi's in France (about 3 units), so except for extremely special occasions I knocked daytime drinking on the head.

Then for a time up to 2006 I was still very religious visiting my 'church' every evening to partake of the communial wine with my mates but was careful not to exceed the limit - in fact I was breathalysed one night on my way home when stopped by a police control with a negative result but that was with the current English limit.

The no smoking law ended my religious activities, it just was not the same any more and was costing an aŵful lot of money.

Also a few years ago the French limit was set at the new Scottish level and because of the high casualty figures on French roads the Gendarmerie have and still do hold regular controls, so this always made me very careful about drinking and driving though I know some people who continue to to this with impunity.

For the past few years I have done my drinking at home, gradually cutting down - the moment of writing I have had one small glass of wine and a can of beer in the last 10 days - for me at any rate it is not essential and although I enjoy a glass abstinence is no problem. Apart from that I needed to control my weight so that it does not exceed the limits for flying.

It does seem as had been suggested by others that this is another nail in the licensed trade but if it saves lives we just have to adapt. I do know from taking note of my personal experiences that even small amounts of alcohol can affect ones driving.

Edited by mike Meehan

As far as I'm concerned any discussion on this subject is superfluous. There should be zero tolerance on drink driving throughout the UK. A taxi or designated driver when required. As my old friend Sammy Rachevsky used to say, "the self-evident is obscure to most people".

Edited by knocker
  • Like 1

As far as I'm concerned any discussion on this subject is superfluous. There should be zero tolerance on drink driving throughout the UK. A taxi or designated driver when required. As my old friend Sammy Rachevsky used to say, "the self-evident is obscure to most people".

Spot on knocker. Small amounts of alcohol do have an effect on reaction times, so it follows that no-one should be driving after even only small amounts of alcohol. People always assume that they are much more amazing than they really are, especially when it comes to their ability to drive.

Knocker, small amounts of alcohol can occur in the body naturally without any at all being ingested so under these circumstances don't you think it might be a little unjust to have a zero level?

I see nothing wrong with the limit of 50 milligrams of alcohol in every 100 millilitres of blood as introduced by the Scots and is currently used by a greater part of Europe - this allows some leeway for some alcohol being generated naturally within the body and the morning after the night before, whilst not being in the category of being at dangerous levels - did you know that recent research has shown that people using a phone whilst driving is likely to be more dangerous than somebody driving with 80 milligrams etc in their system?