Sign in to follow this  
Jax

Russia

President Vladimir Putin has warned Russians of hard times ahead and urged self-reliance, in his annual state-of-the nation address to parliament.

Russia has been hit hard by falling oil prices and by Western sanctions imposed in response to its interventions in the crisis in neighbouring Ukraine.

The rouble, once a symbol of stability under Mr Putin, suffered its biggest one-day decline since 1998 on Monday.

The government has warned that Russia will fall into recession next year.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-30322198

New cold war? Is the iron curtain being drawn again?

Yes been coming for years which is bad news for everyone. Much better if the major powers actually co-operated rather than playing internal politics within countries.

Yes. By attacking Georgia and Ukraine he is poking the dragon. 

I am confident given our economic might that the west will win although one can't exactly be sure what victory looks like. 

Think this will grow and come back to bite us.

I am confident given our economic might that the west will win although one can't exactly be sure what victory looks like. 

So long as our bit of the west works out where to source gas and oil in the short term. An awful lot of Europe's (including ours) energy supplies come from or via Russia.

Yes cold and without the lights on.  Triffick

You're presumably not old enough to remember the three-day week during the Heath government in the early 70s, Summer Blizzard. Didn't do a great deal for our status as an economic might and countries like Germany would be even worse hit than us. The last thing the world economy needs right now is another recession.

You're presumably not old enough to remember the three-day week during the Heath government in the early 70s, Summer Blizzard. Didn't do a great deal for our status as an economic might and countries like Germany would be even worse hit than us. The last thing the world economy needs right now is another recession.

OH rolling blackouts, remember them as a child, we had music from a car radio and car light bulb for light running off a car battery in the lounge.

So long as our bit of the west works out where to source gas and oil in the short term. An awful lot of Europe's (including ours) energy supplies come from or via Russia.

Yes indeed. Fortunately the US will export by 2100 so Russia could lose it's European custom.

Yes cold and without the lights on.  Triffick

The UK is not dependent on Russian gas, We can increase purchases from Qatar

Edited by summer blizzard

I remember it at least it had one advantage and that was that on a clear night you could have a good view of the stars because there was no light pollution.

We get most of our coal from Russia though, and coal produces a third of our electricity.

Edited by Nick L

Yes indeed. Fortunately the US will export by 2100 so Russia could lose it's European custom.

All depends if the fracking survives the falling prices. Companies will only mine for it if it's financially worth while. Shipping from Qatar is a lot more expensive than a pipeline across Europe.

All depends if the fracking survives the falling prices. Companies will only mine for it if it's financially worth while. Shipping from Qatar is a lot more expensive than a pipeline across Europe.

If Higher energy prices are a result of our sanctions against Russia we'll just have to bear them.

A stand had to be made against Russias illegal actions in Ukraine and better that the stand, initially at least, is economic rather than military. 20 years ago today (5 Dec 1994) Ukraine gave up the world's 3rd largest nuclear arsenal in return for territorial guarantees from Russia, Uk and US (Budapest Memorandum). Today Russia illegally occupies a significant part of Ukraine with Russian invaders killing Ukranians attempting to defend their country on a daily basis.

History shows that appeasement doesn't work so best that we hunker down and  work around higher energy prices........the propects for an intransigent, belligerent Russia under Putin aren't exactly rosy.

• Like 2

If Higher energy prices are a result of our sanctions against Russia we'll just have to bear them.

A stand had to be made against Russias illegal actions in Ukraine and better that the stand, initially at least, is economic rather than military. 20 years ago today (5 Dec 1994) Ukraine gave up the world's 3rd largest nuclear arsenal in return for territorial guarantees from Russia, Uk and US (Budapest Memorandum). Today Russia illegally occupies a significant part of Ukraine with Russian invaders killing Ukranians attempting to defend their country on a daily basis.

History shows that appeasement doesn't work so best that we hunker down and  work around higher energy prices........the propects for an intransigent, belligerent Russia under Putin aren't exactly rosy.

I agree completely with that. The one worry I do have is that as the Russian economy goes down the toilet and Putin loses more popularity he's the type to act completely irrationally.

• Like 2

I agree completely with that. The one worry I do have is that as the Russian economy goes down the toilet and Putin loses more popularity he's the type to act completely irrationally.

That's not going to happen is it.

‘Remember lessons we taught Hitler’: Top 10 quotes from Putin’s State of Nation address.

http://rt.com/news/211411-putin-state-address-top10/

Sanctions are mostly unpleasant but mostly for those who indroduce them.

‘Remember lessons we taught Hitler’: Top 10 quotes from Putin’s State of Nation address.

I must admit you have a well honed sense of humour.

• Like 1

There's no real basis in fact so far. The economic size of the west means overall sanctions will almost always hurt Russia more than the west.

One lesson he obviously didn't learn is that Russia could not have defeated Hitler on its own...so maybe he should realise that Russia is incapable of taking on the west on its own.

Love the irony in accusing the US of using Crimea as a pretext.

Nonsense.

Russia hasn't attacked Ukraine, and intervened briefly in Georgia to stop a genocide on ethnic Russians.

If the US was prepared to accept Russia as a security equal then we'd have a common security environment.

As it is, the US is interested only in domination. It knows nothing else. It's this pursuit of global domination which is manifestly de-stabilising.

For further context, the legal precedent for the annexation of Crimea was set by the West's forcible secession of Kosovo from Serbia in 2008.

Crimea was of course also democratically legitimate as reflecting the will of the majority through a referendum.

The tragedy in Ukraine arose from a US sponsored and backed coup against an elected President. To think there would not be serious repercussions from this was incredibly naive.

The US is good at replacing governments it doesn't like, But very bad at controlling the consequences.

• Like 2

Nonsense.

Russia hasn't attacked Ukraine, and intervened briefly in Georgia to stop a genocide on ethnic Russians.

If the US was prepared to accept Russia as a security equal then we'd have a common security environment.

As it is, the US is interested only in domination. It knows nothing else. It's this pursuit of global domination which is manifestly de-stabilising.

So what exactly are Russian Armed forces doing fighting in Ukraine then? As I have said before last I looked Ukraine was an independent nation Russia has no more right to interfere there than other nation..i see no other foreign troops on the ground fighting Ukraine armed forces?

• Like 1

So what exactly are Russian Armed forces doing fighting in Ukraine then?

They are on holiday!  Everyone knows that.  Russia soldiers get 10 months holiday every year and eastern Ukraine is their favourite destination for a bit of peace and relaxation.  Especially in winter.  :D

• Like 1

They are on holiday!  Everyone knows that.  Russia soldiers get 10 months holiday every year and eastern Ukraine is their favourite destination for a bit of peace and relaxation.  Especially in winter.  :D

Yes at one time it was Afghanistan but then the locals got a bit uppity.

• Like 2