Sign in to follow this  
mike Meehan

Lying in Parliament

I think this is an important point because increasingly I feel that we cannot trust all our MP's to be truthful and personally I believe that INTEGRITY and ETHICS should be far more highly valued than what they are and I am quite sure I am not on my own in this respect.

In fact it has occurred to me that the word 'Parliament' is a combination of two French verbs, the first is 'Parler' - to speak and the second is 'Mentir' - to lie. 

Below is a petition applicable to UK citizens and perhaps with this we can bring our opinions to bear and hopefully encourage them to be mindful of this when in the house and that there should be a limit to 'Parliamentary Privilege' - of course we still have the final say at the ballot box. 

https://www.change.org/p/it-s-entirely-legal-for-an-mp-to-lie-to-parliament-doesn-t-sound-right-does-it-makelyinghistory?utm_source=action_alert&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=193761&alert_id=XhbIXTtFub_Kuk4ewO9njSYG7St1A4Crov4OKx6wdbOR65%2BtQK1V9P85TulsopIZno0%2Bfuu4HvG

There is hearing what you want to hear and what you need to hear I suppose, but lies come big and small.  You can pick your "faction" to side with, they all lie or "bend" the truth to suit their will.  Honest politics? never happen.

I think this is an important point because increasingly I feel that we cannot trust all our MP's to be truthful 

On this topic, political advertising is of course exempt from advertising standards.

Politicians are free to tell the most amazing porkies they like in such material. Yet that material is supposed to help people decide what to vote...

http://www.asa.org.uk/News-resources/Media-Centre/2014/Political-advertising.aspx#.VIBVRTGsWAg

I have no idea how it would be implemented or even if it would be possible, but I would be happy to see a law passed that means politicians cannot make pledges that they might not be able to fulfil, only ones that they can guarantee.

I think this is an important point because increasingly I feel that we cannot trust all our MP's to be truthful and personally I believe that INTEGRITY and ETHICS should be far more highly valued than what they are and I am quite sure I am not on my own in this respect.

In fact it has occurred to me that the word 'Parliament' is a combination of two French verbs, the first is 'Parler' - to speak and the second is 'Mentir' - to lie. 

Below is a petition applicable to UK citizens and perhaps with this we can bring our opinions to bear and hopefully encourage them to be mindful of this when in the house and that there should be a limit to 'Parliamentary Privilege' - of course we still have the final say at the ballot box. 

https://www.change.org/p/it-s-entirely-legal-for-an-mp-to-lie-to-parliament-doesn-t-sound-right-does-it-makelyinghistory?utm_source=action_alert&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=193761&alert_id=XhbIXTtFub_Kuk4ewO9njSYG7St1A4Crov4OKx6wdbOR65%2BtQK1V9P85TulsopIZno0%2Bfuu4HvG

Don't you mean any not all?...I find MPs or any politicians for that matter right down to local councillors( who are even worse)_ to be the biggest cheats and liars you will ever come across I lost any interest in politics years ago for this very reason, it doesn't matter which party they represent or from which political spectrum they come..its just lies lies statistics and bs from all sides.

Maybe I was more gullible as a youngster, or perhaps with the increase in media activity, so much more is brought to our attention these days but I get the distinct impression that the prevailing attitude amongst some MP's and certainly many people who are in executive positions of Industry, Commerce and Banking feel it is their right to tell us any rubbish they feel like and any connection between this rubbish and the actual truth needs a highly flexible imagination to perceive it - in the case of the latter three it would seem to be in pursuance of their personal gods, to mention but a few, the Pound Sterling, the Euro and the American dollar, which appears to be Chief god at the moment.

In relation to MP's, I can appreciate that some subjects would be of a sensitive nature, for example National Security, so there is sometimes a need to be discreet about these and as an ordinary member of the public I can understand why I am sometimes kept in the dark.

But is does not stop there - we have occasions where MP's have crossed what is to the public a crossing of a line - the best example is that of them fiddling their expenses - first of all they tell lies in the first place to get money to which they are not entitled, then when they are being asked to account for it, they continue to tell lies in an attempt to wriggle out of it. This type of conduct would lead to many ordinary jobs getting the sack, so why do we, who as the tax payers and ultimately employ them, continue to employ them under such circumstances?

But is just does not stop there, they as the leaders of the country set a yardstick for others to follow and indeed in latter years they have been following it, leading us into a situation where have been beset with banking scandals brought on where people have been in pursuance of a quick book. As one of the foremost financial traders in the world this can do our reputation no good at all and will lead to us losing a lot more in the long term than whatever we would have gained in  the short term.

We as a nation need to pull our socks and re-establish the reputation we once had for INTEGRITY and ETHICS, people who could be relied upon and the politicians need to set a much higher yardstick for us all to follow - there is no such thing in this life as things remaining exactly the same, they either improve or get worse, so if we accept the status quo and do nothing, there is only once direction in which we can go and that it down.   

Well since about five year old I knew MP's lie and they all do it. It's nothing to do with Parliamentary privilege where you can name people who do wrong doing without any come back from the courts. Next how would you define a lie? For example altering the inflation figures because they are two high. By claiming unemployment is falling because more are on zero hour contracts and yet may only work one week out of four?

At one time if an MP was caught out badly they would resign now they won't and will carry on regardless. So I think there should be a way to remove MP's. Also MP's should all be local to the place they represent.

Edited by The PIT

Politicians are about as trustworthy as a three headed snake bearing gifts of frankincense and myrrh ,I stopped voting years ago !!!...

I stopped voting years ago !!!...

Which, unfortunately, is exactly what the politicians you don't like want you to do.

Pretty much gives them free reign to act as they please.

---

There are decent, principled politicians. The more people vote for them, the more decent other politicians must become in response.

Democracy is only as good as the electorate makes it.

Edited by scottish skier
  • Like 2

Which, unfortunately, is exactly what the politicians you don't like want you to do.

Pretty much gives them free reign to act as they please.

---

There are decent, principled politicians. The more people vote for them, the more decent other politicians must become in response.

Democracy is only as good as the electorate makes it.

Politicians have pretty much reign to do what they like as long as they tow the party line and forgetting that they were elected to represent the people who voted for them as well.

However as the EU gets more and more powerful what your MP can do is getting less and less and eventually will have zero say and we will become a miniscule part of the EU where what local voters think will have very little weight and influence on overall policy.

If people find nobody represents their interest they have the right not to vote.

• Like 2

Politicians have pretty much reign to do what they like as long as they tow the party line and forgetting that they were elected to represent the people who voted for them as well.

However as the EU gets more and more powerful what your MP can do is getting less and less and eventually will have zero say and we will become a miniscule part of the EU where what local voters think will have very little weight and influence on overall policy.

If people find nobody represents their interest they have the right not to vote.

I absolutely get that. If I had a choice of the establishment quartet (Lib/Lab/Con/UKIP) I'd be very tempted to not bother voting.

But I can't see myself ever not voting.

I absolutely get that. If I had a choice of the establishment quartet (Lib/Lab/Con/UKIP) I'd be very tempted to not bother voting.

But I can't see myself ever not voting.

I said similar a few decades ago. Truth is as alluded to in above posts. The worlds economy and rules are set by those who hold 'old money', the politicians of then as now curtail to and represent the will of that, not you or I.

Having said that, keep voting for that which you believe to be right.

Not voting is worse, then you have not tried to make a choice or a change, you may as well not be here.

Surely telling the truth in parliament would be more noteworthy???

How do you/they get there?

Surely telling the truth in parliament would be more noteworthy???

Those are called whistleblowers.