Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Rating Posts

Paul_1978

Posted

Hi all,

1) Is it possible to undo a rating if you've rated it by accident?

2) Is there can chance of a Dislike as well as a Like button?

Cheers,

Paul

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: obviously snow!

used to have minus reputation, but was classed controversial, like I could dislike, say the charts posted by members that show Atlantic air, which would be the majority! and that would go on members reputation, and shouldn't really

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cool not cold, warm not hot. No strong Wind.

On other websites I'm on I've noticed it tends to cause bad feeling and tension !....

I hate you Butler!

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cool not cold, warm not hot. No strong Wind.

YAY! Magic button click here --> [MAGIC BUTTON]

Posted

On other websites I'm on I've noticed it tends to cause bad feeling and tension !....

Yes I agree but that's because people don't know how to use ratings properly.

Eg, if someone posts mild charts in the Model Output thread but you are a coldie, then you shouldn't dislike the post just because it's not what you want to see.

However if they post in a particular style, or are clearly on the wind up, then you should be able to dislike it.

When a post has a number of Positive v Negative ratings, then it gives and idea of how it's been received.

And people should never be asked to justify why they have rated a post a particular way.

Anyway I can see it might cause some issues.....

Cheers.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: Cold & Snowy, Summer: Just not hot

Yes I agree but that's because people don't know how to use ratings properly.

Eg, if someone posts mild charts in the Model Output thread but you are a coldie, then you shouldn't dislike the post just because it's not what you want to see.

However if they post in a particular style, or are clearly on the wind up, then you should be able to dislike it.

When a post has a number of Positive v Negative ratings, then it gives and idea of how it's been received.

And people should never be asked to justify why they have rated a post a particular way.

Anyway I can see it might cause some issues.....

Cheers.

We've tried it on more than one occasion in the past, and the part in bold is exactly what happened unfortunately.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot summers, snowy winters and thunderstorms!

I thought for ages I had imagined the neg rep, turns out, I didn't!

I can't believe people would downrate a post just because they didn't like the chat or something!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot sunny summers, cold snowy winters

I thought for ages I had imagined the neg rep, turns out, I didn't!

I can't believe people would downrate a post just because they didn't like the chat or something!

Just need to look at other forums to see how neg rating buttons are abused.

I dont see the value in neg rating, it causes many more issues than is its worth.

Posted

Just need to look at other forums to see how neg rating buttons are abused.

I dont see the value in neg rating, it causes many more issues than is its worth.

I actually think the positive rating button is abused somewhat as well. You produce cold ramping posts, you are going to get more positive ratings than you probably deserve.

It should be really on the quality of the post not the contents.

Edited by Weather-history
  • Like 7

Posted

I think with any sort of like/dislike, vote up/vote down button their use is open to interpretation - not everyone has the same idea of what may or may not be deserving of a like/dislike. That in itself is fine, if someone wants to like a post for whatever reason then it's up to them really, that's kind of the point of it.

But where it gets more difficult and can create controversy is when that same option is there with a dislike type button as by it's nature it's seen as negative to both those reading and the person who made the post. So someone wants to like a post just because it talks about cold weather (for example) they are well within their rights, and no-one is likely to get upset about it. But clearly people disliking a post just because it talks about the wrong weather type is going to create some hassles!

Posted

Us and our First World Problems, eh?

Posted

For me it's useful if you don't feel the need to contribute but want to appreciate a post without having to simply post 'I agree'.

• Like 3

Posted

0 and now you cannot see who clicked  'like' could do before

Does it matter who clicks like; I remember a few sarky comments about who was liking certain posts that did not fit the majority view.

Posted

I still believe it's pointless. Post a baseless load of drivel about cold & snow being certain & watch the likes shoot up. Post a well researched & presented post, that concludes anything other than cold & watch it be attacked & remain largely pointless.

• Like 6

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: obviously snow!

Does it matter who clicks like; I remember a few sarky comments about who was liking certain posts that did not fit the majority view.

not sayimg it matters, just saying could see before which members clicked!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heavy disruptive snowfall.

I still believe it's pointless. Post a baseless load of drivel about cold & snow being certain & watch the likes shoot up. Post a well researched & presented post, that concludes anything other than cold & watch it be attacked & remain largely pointless.

Not true at all, Fergieweather has been the barer of bad news for cold and snow fans for the whole of last winter and the first of this, he has the best likes to post ratio of anyone on here, Steve Murr has one of the highest because although he chases cold, he does have an aptitude for understanding models and teleconnections, as many others do, yes its easy to get a few likes, I have had upwards of 10 for a one liner before but fergieweather and GP, Chiono, and Steve but to name a few, have had them in the hundreds, that's the difference.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm dry summers

Why don't we just get rid of the reputation button?

Because it saves 10 people for example all posting 'thanks' or something similar cluttering up threads where as by clicking the reputation button saves the need for 'one liners'

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow

Think of the poor mod team...everytime Tamara posts...they'd spend the remainder of the day clearing up 'Great post, thanks' comments in the MOD forum..  :sorry:

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: warehamwx.co.uk

Not true at all, Fergieweather has been the barer of bad news for cold and snow fans for the whole of last winter and the first of this, he has the best likes to post ratio of anyone on here, Steve Murr has one of the highest because although he chases cold, he does have an aptitude for understanding models and teleconnections, as many others do, yes its easy to get a few likes, I have had upwards of 10 for a one liner before but fergieweather and GP, Chiono, and Steve but to name a few, have had them in the hundreds, that's the difference.

It's 100% true. The names you've mentioned are well respected and they truthfully post whether it's good or bad. 

Edited by Paul
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot Summer, Snowy winter and thunderstorms all year round!

Think of the poor mod team...everytime Tamara posts...they'd spend the remainder of the day clearing up 'Great post, thanks' comments in the MOD forum..  :sorry:

Yes, I think everyone should think about the mod team at this time of year....A mod is for life, not for christmas......Please pm me with your donations, all gratefully received

Posted

:whistling: Feed the mods, let them know it's Christmastime.... :whistling:

• Like 1