Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Possible storm/wind event - 9th December onwards

Skullzrulerz

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, Snow, Windstorms and Thunderstorms

Here's what we'd all like to see with this wind!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yCxnjgrZ5Lg

• Like 4

Posted
  • Location: Derbyshire Peak District South Pennines Middleton & Smerrill Tops 305m (1001ft) asl.
  • Location: Derbyshire Peak District South Pennines Middleton & Smerrill Tops 305m (1001ft) asl.

Lovely weather there Born :-)

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: warehamwx.co.uk

It's looking quite wet for the duration. 10 - 15mm quite widely, higher totals likely in the west/south west.

post-15177-0-16135000-1418298248_thumb.ppost-15177-0-97825900-1418298247_thumb.ppost-15177-0-04742000-1418298262_thumb.p

40 to 50mph gusts possible inland, 60mph+ on the coast. It wouldn't surprise me if somewhere got a 70mph in exposed locations, Portland, IoW or the coast of Kent tomorrow morning.

Thankfully, it is quite short lived. It looks like the strong winds will clear the far south east before 9am.

post-15177-0-64987900-1418298806_thumb.ppost-15177-0-10844800-1418298821_thumb.ppost-15177-0-99546000-1418298830_thumb.ppost-15177-0-96311100-1418298838_thumb.p

A lively period of weather to come and most of it while many of us are asleep. :)

Posted

Hi@ all

post-22350-0-97464900-1418305231_thumb.p

Impressive thundersnow event over parts of Netherlands and NW Germany. Lucky buggers there :db:

Regards

Ralph

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Extremes

Evening all

The latest warning from Jersey Met - Code Red  :help:

However, we've experienced far worse although I'm glad they're taking the potentially volatile situation seriously. That said, our local Met Department don't issue code reds willy nilly so probably best to stay in and monitor the situation carefully.

We're just glad that the worst of the wind looks likely to affect our region between 03:00 and 08:00 with a peak somewhere in the middle when most peeps should be safely tucked up in bed  :drinks:

post-5600-0-89794100-1418316091_thumb.jp

Edited by Fitzwis

Posted

I think the key here, is gust speeds.

The St Jude storm barely showed 25mph windspeeds for here, but gusts were 55 to 60mph, and there were a lot of trees down due to that.

post-15177-0-93056500-1418316347_thumb.ppost-15177-0-30113700-1418316348_thumb.p

Posted

Overreactions, gusts of 50 to 60mph are a normal winter storm.

Posted

Overreactions, gusts of 50 to 60mph are a normal winter storm.

You might wish to view one of my previous posts, the bit near the bottom.

https://forum.netweather.tv/topic/81943-possible-stormwind-event-9th-december-onwards/?p=3084048

Posted

I think there will be a short but quite severe slot of winds tonight along the south coast. I do expect to see a few gusts in the low 70mph.

Will be interesting to see the the reports overnight but i suspect some will be surprised by the strength of the winds.

Although max in London region will probably be circa 55mph.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm and sunny with night time t-storms

Torrential showers of rain, hail and sleet here all day and especially this evening. Roads running like rivers in places and I got stuck in one of the showers on my dog walk - slipping and sliding down the moorside as fast as we could in the torrents...by torchlight as it was virtually dark!

Posted

I would dread to think what the sea state would look like under this..

attachicon.gifviewimage (9).png

I'm watching deadliest catch right now as well!

Thursday night/Friday morning still looking hairy for a time, particularly on the coasts (although nowhere near what Scotland's coasts will see)

Still, 50 to 60mph likely on western and southern coasts, perhaps 70mph in those extreme spots.

Here's the NetWx MR, GFS, GFS Parrallel gusts charts, respectively..

attachicon.gifviewimage (5).pngattachicon.gifviewimage (6).png

attachicon.gifviewimage (7).pngattachicon.gifviewimage ( 8).png

attachicon.gifviewimage (10).pngattachicon.gifviewimage (11).png

A few small discrepancies between them on exact timings but it's academic really.

It will be 3 years, almost to the day that a similar system brought gales and heavy rain to southern areas. I was out fishing in Poole harbour at night when I heard sirens coming from the Poole side, it turned out to be a friend of mine who was killed instantly when her car aquaplaned and hit a fallen tree.

attachicon.gifRrea00120111213.gif

This is why I take my hat off to the MO. They have been superb with warnings for storms/wind events in the last few years, you cannot take them lightly.

So sad to hear that. Until someone you know is affected these are just 'winter storms'. 

A similar story with drink drivers. You may not think its a problem until you know someone who has been killed by it and sadly I and many others do.

Lets hops everybody stays safe tonight

• Like 1

Posted
  • Location: Caterham-on-the-hill, Surrey, 190m asl (home), Heathrow (work)
  • Location: Caterham-on-the-hill, Surrey, 190m asl (home), Heathrow (work)

Have done a blog on tonight's depression moving across southern Britain here: http://www.netweather.tv/index.cgi?action=news;storyid=6344;sess=

• Like 6

Good evening folks.

Well it's not often the Midlands finds itself sandwiched between MO weather warnings for snow to the north and strong winds to the south, leading me to think the path of the low centre is a little unusual.

Anyone have any thoughts on a shuffle north of the system over the next few hours?

Posted

Have done a blog on tonight's depression moving across southern Britain here: http://www.netweather.tv/index.cgi?action=news;storyid=6344;sess=

What are the chances of a squall line developing Nick? The NMM precip rate shows one, but it has done many times before without one occurring, so it can be misleading.

I would have thought the cold front may be rather active?

post-15177-0-63935800-1418325600_thumb.p

Posted
  • Location: Llanwnnen, Lampeter, Ceredigion, 126m asl (exotic holidays in Rugby/ Coventry)
  • Location: Llanwnnen, Lampeter, Ceredigion, 126m asl (exotic holidays in Rugby/ Coventry)

It has just been a typical windy few days here and far from constant, highest gust 37mph so far was the other day.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Extremes

Here in Haverfordwest I got 50mph in the early hours of this morning.  Been cold all day and very blustery

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: North Atlantic cyclogenesis
Atlantic low 1013 moving very rapidly northeastwards, expected German Bight 981 by same time

Says the shipping forecast. Anything moving and deepening that quickly will pack a punch. 

And here we have it:

Dover
Gale warnings - Issued: 2156 UTC Thu 11 Dec

Southwesterly severe gale force 9 increasing violent storm force 11 imminent

Posted
  • Location: inter drumlin South Tyrone Blackwater river valley surrounded by the last last ice age...
  • Weather Preferences: jack frost
  • Location: inter drumlin South Tyrone Blackwater river valley surrounded by the last last ice age...

causing a little light rain here  :)

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: North Atlantic cyclogenesis

Although max in London region will probably be circa 55mph.

Probably enough for mass hysteria!

The "weather-bomb" stuff has been pure gold for the media. It was just a typical winter storm for the north with increased wind shield (mega waves formed) in reality, but the short, snappy title of weather bomb sure made its presence on social media, and mocked to boot!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Extremes, to a point .....

Ramsgate here, not expecting much until the early hours, I will update if I'm awake :-)

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms, Squall Lines, Storm Force Winds & Extreme Weather!

Interesting few hours ahead for Southern England, the SE and E.Anglia. 

Rapidly deepening now..... the low pressure really feeding itself......

IR Satellite Image

I suspect inland gusts hitting 70.mph across Sussex, Kent and Essex during the early hours, with 80.mph through the Dover Straits.

Mammatus

Edited by Mammatus