Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Possible storm/wind event - 9th December onwards

Skullzrulerz

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snowy or sunny but not too hot!

Sorry, I didn't appreciate your predicament! I'm guessing from the discussion on here and elsewhere that it will probably be a little rough on Friday. I'm very prone to travel sickness too and I sympathise. Travel sickness medicines usually make me feel worse, so I stick to natural remedies like ginger and accupressure bands. Nibbling ginger biscuits is good as the sugar helps as well as the ginger's anti-emetic effect. And above all as others have said, make sure your wife eats a good low GI type meal before travelling - something like porridge or toast or pasta depending on the time of day is good - as low blood sugar makes nausea worse, plenty of water and no alcohol needless to say. I've just about avoided the barf bag during quite a few very bumpy flights this year with this regime. I'm sure you'll both be fine and have a lovely time...

Hello Spikecollie,

Thanks for your suggestions as well as comments from John Holmes and others. My wife has accupressure bands and we usually have a meal on the ferry. Once we have eaten we will find a Christmas tree somewhere on the ferry and sit under it! :yahoo:  :yahoo:

Taking in what others have said it looks as though there has been no downgrading of wind speed for the English Channel, although it all could change nearer the time.

Kind Regards

Dave

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow

LIVE LINK PLEASE?

Not exactly live but you may find these useful!

Surface Charts & Fax Charts are here- http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/public/weather/surface-pressure/#?tab=surfacePressureBW&fcTime=1418040000

Regards,Mark

Posted

For the public there are several stages to this midweek windy weather, which need identifying to avoid confusion

Tuesday becomes windy, but is not the main event.

Weds looks like become an Amber warning for at least the Western Isles/W.Scotland and hitting most of the northern half of the UK and Wales, and that stormy weather lasts into Thurs morning.

Then we have the bit which looks like affecting southern Britain, which will get more coverage. So later Thursday into Friday, strong winds with gales,especially for the English Channel

and we can add some snow into the mix to make it even more interesting

I dont think we should at all under estimate Tuesday for a starters some very heavy rainfall and winds are forecast from a number of sources to be near 70 mph. Plus heavy rainfall tricky driving conditions from around 5 till 11 am.

Of course Wednesday is the main event. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Not too hot, excitement of snow, a hoolie

Met Office Shipping forecast for sea area Hebrides

Wind South veering west or southwest, gale 8 to storm 10. Sea state Very rough or high, becoming very high or phenomenal.

see http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/media/pdf/b/7/Fact_sheet_No._6.pdf  page 17

Edited by Jo Farrow
  • Like 6

Posted

Met Office Shipping forecast for sea area Hebrides

Wind South veering west or southwest, gale 8 to storm 10. Sea state Very rough or high, becoming very high or phenomenal.

see http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/media/pdf/b/7/Fact_sheet_No._6.pdf  page 17

Not surprising when you look at the chart. I'm not sure what it's called after phenomenal. Time for a guinness by then anyway.

Chart courtesy weatherbell

post-12275-0-52384200-1418116298_thumb.p

Edited by knocker

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: Cold & Snowy, Summer: Just not hot

Latest Euro4 has gusts of 110mph for the Western Isles, I doubt it will be that extreme however.

Edited by Nick L

Posted

Do you have a link for the Euro4? :) I've looked on weatheronline but can't find anything that ferocious 

I can only access it through work I'm afraid!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: As long as it's not North Sea muck, I'll cope.

Not surprising when you look at the chart. I'm not sure what it's called after phenomenal. Time for a guinness by then anyway.

Chart courtesy weatherbell

There is nothing ahead of phenomenal.

http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/guide/weather/marine/glossary

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Atlantic storms, severe gales, blowing snow and frost :)

Latest Euro4 has gusts of 110mph for the Western Isles, I doubt it will be that extreme however.

Hi Nick, what sort of gusts is the Euro4 showing for N/NW England?

Posted

Top gust so far is 60mph in the Western Isles. Parts of Southern Scotland, Wales and Ireland have reported 50mph. The wind should continue to increase over the next few hours but then start to drop down in speed through this afternoon but still staying very windy. Through tonight and all day on Wednesday is when the highest winds will arrive.

Posted

Hi Nick, what sort of gusts is the Euro4 showing for N/NW England?

70-80mph for the west coast of Cumbria, 50-60mph inland. However, I suspect the Euro4 is overdoing it.

ECM on the other hand has gusts not exceeding 60mph on the coast, with lower gusts inland of course.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Not too hot, excitement of snow, a hoolie

Top gust so far is 60mph in the Western Isles. Parts of Southern Scotland, Wales and Ireland have reported 50mph. The wind should continue to increase over the next few hours but then start to drop down in speed through this afternoon but still staying very windy. Through tonight and all day on Wednesday is when the highest winds will arrive.

Stornoway had 59knots at 10am so 68mph. Only going to get higher

Posted
  • Location: Derbyshire Peak District South Pennines Middleton & Smerrill Tops 305m (1001ft) asl.
  • Location: Derbyshire Peak District South Pennines Middleton & Smerrill Tops 305m (1001ft) asl.

What about Shetland? It's pretty windy today.

What a great place to live.. Wish i was up there tonight, Some very high seas forecast.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cool and Stormy

What a great place to live.. Wish i was up there tonight, Some very high seas forecast.

It is great if you like stormy weather. Yes, there is an island shutdown tomorrow as the Council is expecting a force 10-11 storm

• Like 1

Posted

It is great if you like stormy weather. Yes, there is an island shutdown tomorrow as the Council is expecting a force 10-11 storm

Keep the reports coming later, They will be much appreciated my myself and many other members.. Keep safe and enjoy! 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: warehamwx.co.uk

I would dread to think what the sea state would look like under this..

post-15177-0-53672300-1418124281_thumb.p

I'm watching deadliest catch right now as well!

Thursday night/Friday morning still looking hairy for a time, particularly on the coasts (although nowhere near what Scotland's coasts will see)

Still, 50 to 60mph likely on western and southern coasts, perhaps 70mph in those extreme spots.

Here's the NetWx MR, GFS, GFS Parrallel gusts charts, respectively..

post-15177-0-55093200-1418124847_thumb.ppost-15177-0-22660200-1418124856_thumb.p

post-15177-0-56071100-1418124869_thumb.ppost-15177-0-58575200-1418124877_thumb.p

post-15177-0-27914700-1418124886_thumb.ppost-15177-0-22279400-1418124899_thumb.p

A few small discrepancies between them on exact timings but it's academic really.

It will be 3 years, almost to the day that a similar system brought gales and heavy rain to southern areas. I was out fishing in Poole harbour at night when I heard sirens coming from the Poole side, it turned out to be a friend of mine who was killed instantly when her car aquaplaned and hit a fallen tree.

post-15177-0-62985700-1418124908_thumb.g

This is why I take my hat off to the MO. They have been superb with warnings for storms/wind events in the last few years, you cannot take them lightly.

• Like 3

Posted

Keep the reports coming later, They will be much appreciated my myself and many other members.. Keep safe and enjoy!

I will keep you updated. My house faces the Atlantic so there will be some huge waves tomorrow.

• Like 4

Posted

I will keep you updated. My house faces the Atlantic so there will be some huge waves tomorrow.

Fantastic, Will keeping an eye on the webcams to.. Do you know of any good live cams facing the sea on the Islands?

Posted

Fantastic, Will keeping an eye on the webcams to.. Do you know of any good live cams facing the sea on the Islands?

I will have a look. The airport runway (sumburgh) goes out to sea, so that might have a webcam.

Edited by shetland islands