Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Winter 2014-15 thread

Posted

I make it on the CET that this winter is 1.1c milder to winter 1983-84,correct me if I`ve got the wrong figures.

February 1984 was 3.3c 

Posted
Sunniest winter on record here by a considerable margin with 324.2 hours, the previous record being 281.4 hours in winter 2011/12. It’s very close to 50% of the possible sunshine.

Almost 100 hours more sun than in autumn 2014 – the dullest since 1968 – and even more incredulously sunnier than summer 2012 – the dullest since 1912.

Monthly breakdown:

Dec: 93.9hrs (177%)

Jan: 116.2hrs (173%)

Feb: 114.1hrs (132%)

December and January very impressive, February less so. In fact February did not seem like a sunny month at all to me due to almost all the dull grey days falling at weekends (14th, 15th, 22nd, 28th). A big difference between the weekday average of 4.6hrs and the weekend average of 2.7hrs, which is actually below average.

Posted

It was only 0.3C milder.

Where are the historic manley CET readings.

I`m looking at this site for the western CET zone http://www.personal.dundee.ac.uk/~taharley/centralengav_temperat.htm

Edited by Snowyowl9

Posted
  • Location: Ashbourne,County Meath,about 6 miles northwest of dublin airport. 74m ASL
  • Weather Preferences: Cold weather - frost or snow
  • Location: Ashbourne,County Meath,about 6 miles northwest of dublin airport. 74m ASL

Winter 2014/15 came in below average temperature wise in Ireland. Dublin airport recorded its sunniest winter on record.

From Met Eireann.

Temperature: winter mean temperatures below average nearly everywhere

Winter mean air temperatures were mainly below average with a few coastal West and Northwest stations reporting just above their LTAs. Variable mean air temperatures were recorded in December and January with below average mean temperatures reported in February. Differences from LTA ranged from -0.7°C at Dublin?Airport (seasonal mean temperature of 4.7°C) to 0.2°C at Finner (seasonal mean temperature of 5.6°C). Highest maxima of winter were all reported on Jan 1st or Jan 9th, with the season’s highest maximum of 16.2°C reported at Carlow (Oak Park) on Jan 9th, its highest since winter 2007/2008. A few highest winter maxima in the East, South and Southwest were the highest in seven to 11 years. The coldest conditions of winter were reported on Dec 29th, Jan 19th, Feb 3rd, Feb 4th and Feb 9th. The lowest winter minimum was -7.9°C at Dublin Airport on Feb 3rd, its lowest recorded during February since 1956. The season’s lowest grass minimum was -11.9°C at Gurteen on Feb 4th.

Sunshine: sunniest winter on record at Dublin Airport

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm dry summers

Winter summary from the met office

http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/climate/uk/summaries/2015/winter

Regional values

http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/climate/uk/summaries/2015/winter/regional-values

The provisional mean value is 3.9°C, which is 0.2°C above the 1981-2010 average so temperature wise it was a fairly average winter despite never getting exceptionally cold

Edited by Summer Sun