Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Model Output Discussion - The Start Of Winter

Paul

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and frost in the winter. Hot and sunny, thunderstorms in the summer.

Well the next 7 days tends to be dominated by more milder airmasses overall, so I would expect the CET to rise from its current slightly below average value to above average. This morning though it does look like it will begin to turn colder around Christmas with the cold front forecast to push south on the big day itself being shifted to Christmas eve.

So we have this for Christmas day

ECH1-216.GIF?16-12

ECH0-216.GIF?16-12

Still only looks like being Scottish hills which could get some snow, but a chilly and sunnier day for most compared to previous runs.

Beyond Christmas day, still looks good from the ECM which will begin to bring much colder air down from the north by day 10.

Edited by Captain shortwave

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and warm in the Summer, cold and snowy in the winter, simples!

ECM quite a bit different by 192h compared  to GFS due to how it handles upstream developments. 

A much deeper trough by the 24th

ECH1-192.GIF?16-12

and a chilly Northwesterly established by Christmas day.

ECH1-216.GIF?16-12ECH0-216.GIF?16-12

That would be ideal for my part of the world, please Santa.

Atlantic ridge ultimately  foiled once more though, so still no Operational output showing the Atlantic being blocked off for any length time.

Edited by Mucka

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: extremes

incredible massive blob of cold air around the northern hemisphere from the ecm.

ECH0-240.GIF?16-12

Certainly wintry out there today fog and frost here on the sunny costa del south coast very pleased to see 

Edited by emotional rollercoaster

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and Cold.

This mornings 00Z run obvously hasn't had it's coffee this morning because it went from this in the pub run last night...

h850t850eu.pnguksnowrisk.png

to this...

h850t850eu.pnguksnowrisk.png

So it's the usual flip flopping untill the weekend by which point we should know which way the cookie is going to crumble.  

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Spanish Plumes, Blizzards, Severe Frosts :-)

Something wintry is definitely brewing for later next week with an increasing risk of snow showers and frosty weather. In the meantime, although the next few days will be milder, it turns colder and showery from the NW for friday and Saturday,then milder wet and windy and then colder and showery again. The festive period itself could be dominated by frosty & snowy weather. :-)

• Like 6

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything

MattHugo81
Amazing change to the EC Seasonal with such a strong +ve height anom over the pole for Jan/Feb/Mar. It's playing catchup once again.
16/12/2014 07:17

Good news the background signals are still going to plan. Looking at the CFS Monthly Feb-March was always looking blocked and Jan has been flip flopping between blocked and not, so I suspect the change sometime in Jan.

In the medium term, say till the end of December a continuation of the pattern with possibly a fleeting Northerly due to transient heights in the Atlantic/Greenland. Looking synoptically more likely than the non-Northerly of last week but again it remains one of about three clusters so it remains fluid. The Christmas Day and Boxing Day means:

post-14819-0-34890300-1418717088_thumb.p post-14819-0-36178000-1418717098_thumb.p post-14819-0-43361200-1418717106_thumb.p

More green than white to my eyes. The London temps (uppers) for the next 8 days suggests more milder days than cooler and the cooler look close to average (2m temps) so the south remains relatively average to above:

post-14819-0-65182500-1418717683_thumb.g post-14819-0-63145500-1418717694_thumb.g

In the 10-16 day period no real change in our region, a continuation of current synoptics looks the most likely. ECM at D10 (as it will) slightly more amplified trough but followed by a more amplified ridge. With a flat upstream:

post-14819-0-41820900-1418717312_thumb.g 

Mixed messages from the GEFS out in FI re the "possible" Alaskan Ridge. These potential heights are looking more mobile and less members are linking the polar heights with that ridge so looking less of a block and more of a mobile flow. Could be just run so more runs needed.

Edited by i'm dreaming of...
  • Like 9

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine, thunder, hail & heavy snow

In a way, Christmas Day is still far enough away for things to improve with regards to cold weather possibilities. On a personal level, considering how uninspiring last Winter was for low level snow, it'd be nice to see something a little white for Christmas. The models do seem to be playing about with some kind of amplification to our West towards Christmas - whether it's a mid-Atlantic ridge or heights building over Greenland like on the GFS Paralell run. Both scenarios of which could produce a Northerly (even if it's just brief) if the High Pressure to our West can amplify enough. And also if a piece of the Vortex can get pushed to our East to allow room for High Pressure to amplify to our West. I suppose having read Tamara's post yesterday, she did seem to give the impression to not panic if you're after a different weather pattern setup and that a change to cold shouldn't be ruled out yet.

Apart from the cold possibilities towards Christmas and/or after, the weather for the next few days is likely to bring a mixture of rain, showers (some wintry over high ground to the North-West) and some drier interludes. Some days being on the chilly side, especially late this week and into the weekend with a cool/cold North-Westerly flow establishing.

I really wonder how *seagulls would cope with cold weather? (*that should help the other hosts/mods/admins with their weather Model game they're playing - don't ask. :p)

• Like 6

Posted

I'm somewhat underwhelmed by the outputs this morning, more especially the ECM which phases that USA troughing with that low off the eastern seaboard of the USA.

That small low needs to do one asap!

In terms of trend upto T240hrs the GFS P is the best as it doesn't phase the trough with the low and is more amplified upstream.There are quite a few changes this morning in terms of how the models bring about that colder flow into Christmas, the ECM looks a bit quick over the USA and has a broader trough digging south.

Overall it does look colder for Christmas but the depth of cold to tap into this morning bar the GFS P isn't really going to deliver more nationwide.

ECM ensembles out shortly, hopefully they're a bit more amplified upstream.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Location: Llanwnnen, Lampeter, Ceredigion, 126m asl (exotic holidays in Rugby/ Coventry)
  • Location: Llanwnnen, Lampeter, Ceredigion, 126m asl (exotic holidays in Rugby/ Coventry)

it is of course entirely possible that one possibly even 2 days in the Christmas period might rate rather cold by official standards but I have to say again that there is nothing to suggest any more than this. Which day or two is still not clear if either in fact occur. It is now 9 days from the 25th so watch each model for the same time over the next 3-4 days don't compare the 00 to the 06 and the 06 to the 12 etc. Checking the same time output is far more likely to reveal a trend than the other way. By all means from 144h then each run is a fair enough thing to do as by then later data may give a better update on what the actual may turn out to be.

But looking 6-15 days ahead nothing suggests any marked cold spell is yet in sight. I know some deride the anomaly charts but in spite of a post last evening suggesting otherwise they are a far better guide than the 4x or 2x model outputs at beyond 6-7 days ahead. They have been the reason I have not given any suggested marked change other than the mild to less mild they predicted some 7-8 days prior to the last week or so of somewhat below average temperatures with a fairly mobile westerly as the average direction at 500mb. I did rigorous checks over 3 years that proved this. In all honesty I can only think of 4 maybe 5 instances in that time that the synoptic models picked out a change of type in a consistent manner before the anomalies did. But we all have our favourites and it all adds to the interest on here.

The post by IDO above with charts is again the most level headed and realistic outlook so far this morning-just my view!

Agreed no snow away from Scottish Mts on the Big Day is what the models scream out. IDO seems to have a fine handle on the models yes.

• Like 2

Posted

Confirmation from the ECM mean that the D10 amplified pattern in our sector is the usual ECM teaser. The mean has more in common with the GEFS than its own op:

post-14819-0-44097800-1418720135_thumb.g  post-14819-0-04164500-1418720143_thumb.p GEM also: post-14819-0-00072900-1418720190_thumb.p

I suspect it is the same situation as the GEFS, a cluster of members with the more transitory amplified Atlantic but the majority of members having a flatter pattern. So the ECM op remains a possibility but as usual with these "Northerly's" more than likely a non-event south of the M62.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: The Actual Weather ..... not fantasy.

when i first joined the site nearly ten years ago, the first 'lesson' learned was dont trust fi as its usually nothing more then fantasy. im abit bemused then that theres are discussions going on about t384!!! and the only reason such discussions are going on is because it shows a possible colder outlook.

what does fi @ t384 show this morning?

post-2797-0-40376400-1418722389_thumb.gi :whistling:

the gfs suggests the post crimbo ridge (where the azores links with the greenland high) isnt the precursor to a pattern change but a temporary, transient feature  before the jet powers through it again, returning us to a mobile regime.

im not saying the pattern wont change at this juncture, im saying that the hoped for pattern change to cold isnt the only option. and these transient ridges in mobile westerly patterns are common enough features.

Edited by mushymanrob
  • Like 5

Posted

Confirmation from the ECM mean that the D10 amplified pattern in our sector is the usual ECM teaser. The mean has more in common with the GEFS than its own op:

attachicon.gifEDM1-240.gif  attachicon.gifgens-21-1-240 (3).png GEM also: attachicon.gifgens-21-1-240 (4).png

I suspect it is the same situation as the GEFS, a cluster of members with the more transitory amplified Atlantic but the majority of members having a flatter pattern. So the ECM op remains a possibility but as usual with these "Northerly's" more than likely a non-event south of the M62.

Not sure how much use the mean is, surely the best way of looking at these long range charts would be to use the ensembles and look for groupings rather than looking at the mean of all the runs together, (I acknowledge the information to do this with the ECM is not freely available The GFS on the Other hand) 

• Like 2

Posted

Not sure how much use the mean is, surely the best way of looking at these long range charts would be to use the ensembles and look for groupings rather than looking at the mean of all the runs together, (I acknowledge the information to do this with the ECM is not freely available The GFS on the Other hand)

Hi. I agree and if you re read my post, I did add that exact point! Though the majority go for a flatter pattern so that is probably the most likely outcome without discounting the possibility of more amplification.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm dry summers

A head of the next cooler spell from the north west we have a couple of very mild days away from Scotland

Temperatures tonight will be rising as the hours go on we could see a transient spell of snow on higher ground in Scotland as the rain moves in

18-582PUK.GIF?16-6

By 7am most parts of England a wales are in or very close to double figures

24-582PUK.GIF?16-6

13:00 & 16:00 see's temps in parts of the south close to 13c

30-582PUK.GIF?16-633-582PUK.GIF?16-6

Very mild away from Scotland Wednesday night and into Thursday these are the minimum temps

45-583PUK.GIF?16-6

Thursday could see temps around 14c for some parts of Scotland remain cold with temps just above freezing for some

57-582PUK.GIF?16-6

By Friday the south holds onto the mild weather but its becoming cooler from the north

90-582PUK.GIF?15-18

By Saturday temps are back around average for England and wales

114-582PUK.GIF?15-18

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm, bright summers and Cold, snowy winters

Some large differences early on for the 6zOP.

0zgfs-0-138.png?06zgfs-0-132.png?6

Makes a big difference later on with the cold sweeping south faster.

0zgfs-1-150.png?06zgfs-1-144.png?6

Edited by SN0WM4N
  • Like 5

Posted

The GFS is quite different this run even by Sunday, 4c uppers replaced by -4c uppers in Scotland.....Thats a big change at relatively short range.

Edited by Ali1977
  • Like 4