Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Model Output Discussion - The Start Of Winter

Paul

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: SNOW ICE

The ECM ensembles show that the Control is more than likely on a par with the operational with a quick swing at day 10-13 from atlantic profiled weather to air sourced from the North east.

http://www.weerplaza.nl/15daagseverwachting/?r=midden&type=eps_pluim

Very cold air arriving.

from my Winter forecast the closest 'dated' analogue to a xmas change was Dec 1968.

& whilst the AO hit -2.5 on the 25th the -EPO ridge was lurking some 4 days before-

http://modeles.meteociel.fr/modeles/reana/1968/archivesnh-1968-12-21-0-0.png

All in all a very positive eve in the 'bigger picture'

S

Hi Steve what is the percentage chance of above coming of and do you expect a big divergence in the model output in the comming days!

Posted
  • Location: Derbyshire Peak District South Pennines Middleton & Smerrill Tops 305m (1001ft) asl.
  • Location: Derbyshire Peak District South Pennines Middleton & Smerrill Tops 305m (1001ft) asl.

Yes as Phil & others say, Some promising upstream signals in the models for some sort of change around the turn of the Month. And will hopefully will lead to some interesting viewing on the run-up to Christmas as they run through various solutions/outcomes. 

• Like 2

Posted

The GFS mean hts anoms. charts at T240 and then T384hrs illustrate the shift of the pattern post Christmas.

attachicon.gifgensbcnh-21-5-240.pngattachicon.gifgensbcnh-21-5-384.png

underlines what Chiono. and Steve have indicated.

Upstream  the newly formed Alaskan ridge impacting into the Atlantic via formation of that Canadian trough inducing ridging downsteam.On our side of the Atlantic a Scandianvian trough ejecting lower heights into Europe.

At this range still detail to be ascertained as the amount of ridging and placement of the main features but we can see some changes look likely between now and month endwith height anomalies rising over the Arctic.

Growing signs of a falling AO/NAO pattern but as ever in the UK getting the cold here is never a smooth transition.

Promising signs and plenty to keep us interested though.

Well Phil I'm looking at the ECM ens T360 anomaly chart and by that time we are supposed to be locked in to the cold. So this chart must be way out. I know it's 15 days hence but still.

And does NOAA support the cold post Xmas day scenario? Very dubious.

post-12275-0-73402300-1418680058_thumb.g

post-12275-0-97327800-1418680064_thumb.g

Edited by knocker
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and frost in the winter. Hot and sunny, thunderstorms in the summer.

Yes as Phil & others say, Some promising upstream signals in the models for some sort of change around the turn of the Month. And will hopefully will lead to some interesting viewing on the run-up to Christmas as they run through various solutions/outcomes. 

Let's just hope that the models don't play the role of Grinch and throw a spoiler shortwave on their output on Christmas day. :p

Plenty of water to get under the bridge before then

ukmaxtemp.png

Including some very mild weather through the middle of the week.

Temperatures do drop back to average, though nothing particularly cold until potentially after Christmas. At this moment I would put the chance of a white Christmas as pretty slim. But maybe I might see some snow during my trip back to Norfolk before New Year :)

• Like 2

Posted

I can't ©     But the NOAA 8-14 isn't a million miles away although it has less emphasis on the Alaskan ridge  and southward influence of the Scandinavian trough so not really that helpful in that respect.      

EDIT

This answer is redundant as IF has replied with more detail.                  

Edited by knocker
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow then clear and frosty.

Well Phil I'm looking at the ECM ens T360 anomaly chart and by that time we are supposed to be locked in to the cold. So this chart must be way out. I know it's 15 days hence but still.

I don't think anyone has proclaimed UK cold by then Knocks-i certainly havent- but we can see the changing placement of height anomalies in the GFS mean anomls.

Of course you have the advantage on the ext.ECM ens. so i can't comment on them really except to say if you are just looking at the mean it will be give a clouded picture at that range.

At this stage it is case of watching to see how things evolve.I did say  getting cold here wasn't straightforward. :)

Edited by phil nw.
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything

I am in the minority I think with respect to any Atlantic/Greenland ridge at around D10-12 in that I believe it is not a pattern change, is just transient, and is nothing to do with the early stage development of the Alaskan/Pacific ridge, just a "possible" short term amplification (one of several clusters on the GEFS) as the US ridge vacates from the Conus. The GEFS have been advertising this for sometime and it has always been transient, except when the Polar Heights migrate to Greenland; however the consensus is that those heights will slide to the Alaska region to promote the -ve Pacific Ridge. The wave from the Pacific Ridge surely won't affect the downstream UK region till at the beginning of January?

For instance it is only on the 31st December that WAA really starts to amplify the Alaskan Ridge on the GFSpost-14819-0-65186000-1418679600_thumb.p

The NOAA 8-14: post-14819-0-05765200-1418679789_thumb.g

Only my opinion but it looks like the last week of December is just a variation on the upcoming theme.

• Like 3

Posted

I don't think anyone has proclaimed UK cold by then Knocks-i certainly havent- but we can see the changing placement of height anomalies in the GFS mean anomls.

Of course you have the advantage on the ext.ECM ens. so i can't comment on them really except to say if you are just looking at the mean it will be give a clouded picture at that range.

At this stage it is case of watching to see how things evolve.I did say above getting cold here wasn't straightforward. :)

Just quoting SM Phil

As a rudimentary figure I would day 70% odds on favourite for a NH pattern change between 25-27 December-

50/50 whether we lock into the cold, I would say as it stands the anomalies at least look in favourable locations..........

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Southerly tracking low pressure in winter. Hot and thundery in the summer

And does NOAA support the cold post Xmas day scenario? Very dubious.

Well it's not dubious though is it ? The second chart would give us a good northerly of sorts maybe Northwest . Good ringing into Greenland . Just no low hights into Europe but quite a good chart if you ask me
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow then clear and frosty.

Fair points IDO and indeed although there are signs of an adjustment/change post Christmas we cant  ascertain how this plays out for us and whether this will be temporary.

I don't think we can expect any real change in that 8-14 day pattern yet anyway.

As Ian F said above it's too early to consider details towards month end but it does make for some good debate. 

Edited by phil nw.
  • Like 2

Posted

Well it's not dubious though is it ? The second chart would give us a good northerly of sorts maybe Northwest . Good ringing into Greenland . Just no low hights into Europe but quite a good chart if you ask me

I didn't say it wouldn't give a NW just that a pattern change was dubious.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and warm in the Summer, cold and snowy in the winter, simples!

If speculation and post activity were any barometer then we would be expecting an upcoming change in our weather.

Which is what this forum is all about so no problem with people tapping the gauge to make sure the needle isn't stuck, especially at this stage.   :wink:

Anyhow 18z rolling out and ready to muddy unclear waters which won't stop us detailing what may be lurking beneath the surface of course. 

I've gone a bit analogy mad this evening haven't I?  :unsure2:

anyhow the pub runs looked slightly more amplified upstream in the early going but let's see what develops. :ninja:

Edited by Mucka
  • Like 2

Posted

The NOAA 8-14: attachicon.gif814day.03 (1).gif

Only my opinion but it looks like the last week of December is just a variation on the upcoming theme.

Indeed it is and until they change nothing major or even fairly minor in terms of any cold other than coldish as we have had over the past week or so. Great to speculate but if it is a scientific appraisal then in 8 out 10 cases the anomaly charts will be the guide. Be that to show no change or to indicate the likely change in pattern to bring more substantial cold or mild into the UK. The minor changes the main 3 are showing, have done for several days in differing areas of the chart, is not yet an indication of the major wavelengths changing in my opinion in the time scales they represent, 6-15, maybe even 17-18 days ahead.

• Like 3

Posted

-10c uppers into Northern Scotland by Boxing Day....great pub run

Edited by Ali1977
  • Like 1

Posted

Taking the 18z as gospel (which it isn't of course!) it's a green christmas for most...

http://www.wetterzentrale.de/pics/Rtavn2401.gif

Maybe not a green Boxing Day for some...

http://www.wetterzentrale.de/pics/Rtavn2641.gif

And the -5 air is over all the UK by 27th!

http://www.wetterzentrale.de/pics/Rtavn2882.gif

We can but dream!

• Like 1

Posted

F.I. looks very, very low resolution and sparse to be taken seriously. We still have no idea or resoultion as to how it will go after the 23rd. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and warm in the Summer, cold and snowy in the winter, simples!

-10c uppers into Northern Scotland by Boxing Day....great pub run

We can do better than a transient Northerly though can't we?

At least that is what a lot of us will be hoping.

Parallel looks mildish for Christmas day but promising upstream at 222.

Edited by Mucka
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: April!

Indeed it is and until they change nothing major or even fairly minor in terms of any cold other than coldish as we have had over the past week or so. Great to speculate but if it is a scientific appraisal then in 8 out 10 cases the anomaly charts will be the guide. Be that to show no change or to indicate the likely change in pattern to bring more substantial cold or mild into the UK. The minor changes the main 3 are showing, have done for several days in differing areas of the chart, is not yet an indication of the major wavelengths changing in my opinion in the time scales they represent, 6-15, maybe even 17-18 days ahead.

Now this is where I get confused. John says the anomaly charts show no change to the current pattern whereas others have posted anomaly charts showing expected HP into Greenland with resultant troughing to the East, which seems like a pattern change to me? Are different models showing different anomalies because I'm losing track!

Apologies if I'm just being slow on the uptake.

Edited by Long haul to mild
  • Like 5

Posted

Parallel day 10

gfsnh-0-240.png?18

ECM day 10

ECH1-240.GIF?15-0

I would take either of those at this stage.

• Like 3