Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Model Output Discussion - The Start Of Winter

Paul

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heat and Snow

The theme continues on GFS 18z with the Azores high backing further west again, which results in the mild air being even more brief before the cold PM airflow moves in. Snow to lower levels in the North would be possible again from day 7 onwards if this run verified.

http://modeles.meteociel.fr/modeles/gfs/runs/2014121218/gfs-1-174.png?18

http://modeles.meteociel.fr/modeles/gfs/runs/2014121218/gfs-1-192.png?18

http://www.meteociel.fr/modeles/gfse_cartes.php?mode=1&ech=204

Mild air does return at 228 hours, but as ever will it make it into the reliable?

• Like 1

Posted

Could be a nice end to the pub run! good Atlantic riding and WAA up to Greenland. Hopefully over the weekend we will start seeing hints of what the Metoffice are seeing for after Xmas

http://www.meteociel.fr/modeles/gfse_cartes.php?ech=336&code=code&mode=0&mode3h=0&runpara=0&carte=1

• Like 3

Posted

GFS 18z less of a horror show than the ECM. FI is colder rather than milder with the PV looking disrupted by the end of the run. Wintry showers in the north for Xmas day. Those expecting sustained cold before new year will be disappointed, although i'd happily take something akin to the 18z. I note the strat warming is slightly upgraded which should aid any PV disruption. Any SSW seems reserved for the new year.

gfsnh-10-324.png?18

Edited by Mark Bayley
  • Like 3

Posted

Could be a nice end to the pub run! good Atlantic riding and WAA up to Greenland. Hopefully over the weekend we will start seeing hints of what the Metoffice are seeing for after Xmas

http://www.meteociel.fr/modeles/gfse_cartes.php?ech=336&code=code&mode=0&mode3h=0&runpara=0&carte=1

Indeed Tim, but I will keep my powder dry until those 'hints' become a > probability.

Edited by DAVID SNOW

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: The fabled channel low

Indeed Tim, but I will keep my powder dry until those 'hints' become a > probability.

hints>probability>potential>sub120>.........downgrade ;)

• Like 3

Posted
Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, snowy winters and warm sunny summers

That's a good pub run, much more amplified in FI with cold weather sweeping south into the eastern US and Western Europe and not a Bartlett in sight.

Too much chopping and changing with the models and it's interesting that the MetO ignore all these swings in their MRF and I think from now on I will do the same.

So if is cold north westerlies over Christmas as indicated by the guys at Exeter I will not be complaining.

Andy

• Like 7

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm, bright summers and Cold, snowy winters

The Para does a better job at developing -EPO ridge but still nothing that impressive.

Take a look at the latest CFS run

http://www.meteociel.fr/modeles/cfse_cartes.php?ech=354&mode=0&carte=1&run=0

While a beauty look at what happens over the Eastern Pacific something to look out for as we head towards the new year to at least get us in a -AO pattern and disrupt the vortex.

Edited by SN0WM4N

Posted

UKMO expect NAO phasing more neutral through the next week or so. First weakly -ve NAO cluster we've seen in recent EC-EPS now appears in back end of today's 12z suite but wsy out at T+360, needs to be taken with due caution(!). Nonetheless, shift remains in line with ongoing UKMO medium range expectation.

Thank you for that update Ian. That is positive news for the coldies. We need consolidation on this solution from now on.

The best bit about this news from Ian is that there is some consolidation in the long term between ECM and Glosea5.

Edited by blizzard81
  • Like 2

Posted

Encouraging updates for coldies on charts we cannot see, then, but on the charts we can see, the overall conclusion must be more of the same for the next 7-10 days, with an ongoing tussle between an Azores High that occasionally suggests it wants to move into the UK, and a jet that hints at the occasional dive from NW to SE, bringing more of a cold bite on the back of passing depressions.

Neither camp seem to be making strong moves though, perhaps Azores High on ECM slightly, the northern lows having the edge on the GFS - but the moves are fairly indecisive, so the end result will probably be more NWlies rather than SWlies, cold enough for snow on northern hills for periods and possibly at some lower levels just for a few hours - frosts not uncommon - oddly though it won't really feel like a cold spell away from the north, the CET may manage to stay below average throughout the period, as the Azores High may fail to get in a position to give us more than transient mild spells.

Oh, and one or more storms to come for the north, and squally frontal bands pushing south every couple of days.

Beyond that, well, waiting for the NH pattern to change feels like watching a set of dominoes, waiting for someone to push the first one and then the others will fall too. But there have been very few hints that this will happen even in the 10-15 day period. Still early days in winter, though.

• Like 4

Posted

Yes, but sizeable salt pinches required at this tentative juncture, plus clear recognition that even pattern change / -ve NAO shouldn't be confused with the guaranteed snowmageddon characterising the voodoo of Maddenology, versus the cautiously incremental analysis & prognosis expected from meteorology.

Feet always firmly on the ground Ian :cold:  :)

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy November to March and Sunny and warm April to October

Some cracking beasterly CFS charts for second week of Jan showing out in FI - let's hope some of these start appearing over the next couple of weeks among the more accurate models in a closer time frame

post-10303-0-28651500-1418434037_thumb.p

• Like 1

Posted

When that ridge starts crawling towards Greenland, dont forget which models were the first and most direct about it. :D

Before I go into more details, I wonder how many of you are familiar with NCEPs GEFS Reforecast 2 project/model? :D

geopotentialheight-in-hg.png

To quote ESRL:

"The ESRL/PSD 2nd-generation Reforecast Project has produced a dataset of historical weather forecasts generated with a fixed numerical model, using the 2012 version of NCEP's Global Ensemble Forecasting System (GEFS). This Reforecast V2 dataset consists of an 11-member ensemble of forecasts, produced every day from 00 UTC initial conditions from Dec 1984 to present. The horizontal resolution of GEFS is T254 (about 50 km) out to 8 days, and T190 (about 70 km) from 8-16 days. Real-time forecasts are ongoing.

Among the advantages associated with this long reforecast dataset is that model forecast errors can be diagnosed from the past forecasts and corrected, thereby dramatically increasing the forecast skill. Past results have shown that the improvements may be particularly large for medium-range forecasts and for forecasts of relatively uncommon events such as heavy precipitation."

The FTP is offline atm. so I will plot the R2 a bit later. In the mean time, yesterdays ECM really began to spice up the Atl. ridge.

(image removed on request)

Edited by Recretos
  • Like 9

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: The Actual Weather ..... not fantasy.

some premature posts writing off mild weather last night... both the ecm and gfs this morning (00z) have shifted towards a more mild outlook..

post-2797-0-02790800-1418455562_thumb.gi post-2797-0-44296100-1418455583_thumb.gi

post-2797-0-64653300-1418455610_thumb.gi post-2797-0-25312000-1418455633_thumb.gi

post-2797-0-24723900-1418455657_thumb.gi post-2797-0-84508100-1418455672_thumb.gi

thats alot of milder days on these runs...

... now im not suggesting that these will verify... and this outlook may well have changed by the next runs, but cracking open the champagne everytime abit of mild is delayed really isnt the first sign of a pattern change until subsequent runs support it...

meanwhile

post-2797-0-47024500-1418456064_thumb.gi

suggests a strong azores high ridging in towards the uk... and that would tend to support a milder outlook then a colder one.

itll be very interesting to see if stratospheric warming actually does bring about a major pattern change. being uneducated in these dynamics i remain sceptical until i see something in the reliable/semi reliable. and i dont mean that as any disrespect to the members who do have an understanding of the strat warming consequences, and that applies no matter what weather type such an event might produce.

Edited by Osbourne One-Nil
because there's no such word as varify
  • Like 3

Posted

some premature posts writing off mild weather last night... both the ecm and gfs this morning (00z) have shifted towards a more mild outlook..

In my opinion Mushy the model output shifted many days ago to a milder outlook as I have suggested in previous postings. Whilst we might see a very brief dip in temperatures around the 19th, thereafter milder weather is the trend and locations such as SW England could become very mild i.e temps 13/14C.

http://max.nwstatic.co.uk/ensimages/ens.20141213/00/t850Cambridgeshire.png

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything

The GFS op is in line with one of the clusters where the PV gets reorganised during week 2 and turns the UK milder:

post-14819-0-25825800-1418456477_thumb.p

Unfortunately this has been just a strong signal in FI than the more amplified cluster. The GFS P offers another cluster, where the PV remains mobile and disorganised but with little sign of blocking:

post-14819-0-84928800-1418456621_thumb.p  More average temp wise on this run.

Looking at the ensembles and this morning compared to the 12z little change. They may be in the throws of working out a pattern change (ridge towards Alaska) or it could be background noise. No definitive trend from the 12z so a watching brief. However even at D16 in the meridional members are really still not getting the cold to the UK yet (end December). So early January looking the most likely call for a trop led pattern change if the signal grows. However a continuation of the current pattern remains the most likely scenario even then.

In the next 10 days it remains clear in the UK sector that we remain under the zonal flow, consisting of PM and TM flows. On this run an equal mix of the two so averaging out:

ECM @D10: post-14819-0-57584500-1418456941_thumb.g  GEM: post-14819-0-90641800-1418456963_thumb.p

London 2m temps for the next 16 days. Not much sign of cold there: post-14819-0-39308000-1418457597_thumb.g

Good confidence in the lead up to Christmas 22-24th for a UK warm sector.

• Like 3

Posted

Much colder runs on the GFS 18z ensembles from Xmas Eve onwards compared to the 12z. Consolidation is the watchword

tonight. Lets see if we can consolidate on the 00z runs :cold:

Keep the faith coldies :)

i agree  f1 starting  to look better reg xmas    the charts are looking like they could be going colder by the end of next week we might be able to call it  far to early at the moment!!!

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: The Actual Weather ..... not fantasy.

In my opinion Mushy the model output shifted many days ago to a milder outlook as I have suggested in previous postings. Whilst we might see a very brief dip in temperatures around the 19th, thereafter milder weather is the trend and locations such as SW England could become very mild i.e temps 13/14C.

http://max.nwstatic.co.uk/ensimages/ens.20141213/00/t850Cambridgeshire.png

you may well be right dave, i suspect it but am not convinced. i certainly wouldnt like to call it as a cold pattern could emerge.

• Like 1