Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Model Output Discussion - The Start Of Winter

Paul

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything

GFS 06z Run is rather Wintry after day 10.......... A repeat of the pattern we are currently in now.

http://www.wetterzentrale.de/pics/Rtavn2401.gif

http://www.wetterzentrale.de/pics/Rtavn2881.gif

http://www.wetterzentrale.de/pics/Rtavn3361.gif

Yes another three possible PM shots in the next 16 days:

post-14819-0-62412600-1418208558_thumb.p post-14819-0-45918200-1418208572_thumb.p post-14819-0-89513500-1418208576_thumb.p

The last one is more amplified but it is possible at that range the model is over doing it like it did on the up coming Non-Northerly?

D16 NH profile, subtle differences to the 0z but the same drivers dictating the Long Wave flow:  post-14819-0-18107300-1418208737_thumb.p

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: extremes

Yes another three possible PM shots in the next 16 days:

attachicon.gifgfs-1-162.png attachicon.gifgfs-1-264-2.png attachicon.gifgfs-1-360.png

The last one is more amplified but it is possible at that range the model is over doing it like it did on the up coming Non-Northerly?

D16 NH profile, subtle differences to the 0z but the same drivers dictating the Long Wave flow:  attachicon.gifgfsnh-0-384-33.png

That last chart would ignite the sw weather thread in fact it would ignite the best chance of wintry weather more country wide.

Anything is possible with our current set up.

Good to see the interest in the charts near term medium and long term jingle bells all the way.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Spanish Plumes, Blizzards, Severe Frosts :-)

The Gfs 06z op run shows a few weather bombs detonating with some stormy spells in the pipeline, funnily enough although the consensus is for generally less cold incursions next week, the 6z produces an even colder spell than this week, how ironic huh, anyhoo there is only a couple of technically mild days on the latest gfs run, it's still dominated by polar maritimes with a dash of the arctic in there too and xmas day starts and ends frosty, the bit in the middle looks cold too..anyhoo with all the talk of explosive cyclogenesis and exploding weather bombs..I  finally find a reason to use this.... :bomb:  :bomb:  :bomb:  :bomb:  :bomb:  :bomb: BOOM  :D

post-4783-0-09038300-1418211990_thumb.pn

post-4783-0-40572500-1418212013_thumb.pn

Edited by Frosty.
  • Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Southerly tracking LPs, heavy snow. Also 25c and calm

Hints from 06z that GEM might not be too outlandish and certainly that a flatter/milder pattern isn't a given at this point, am looking forward to the 12z runs and tomorrows runs.  We can't write off next week IMO let alone th rest of Dec.  It seems to be slightly slower than anticipated [caveated] but GEM reun is generally/broadly what I thought/think would/may be happening during this month.  Still 2/3rds to go amd plenty to play for.

Edit - clearly the favourite as it stands though with the models is to look W and at times NW for a while.

BFTP

Edited by BLAST FROM THE PAST
  • Like 2

Posted

From WSI via twitter

Another colder spell for Europe 17th/18th followed by quick recovery (GFS ensemble). ECMWF slightly less cold option.

post-115-0-17079000-1418215329_thumb.png

Latest ECMWF daily centimetres snow accumulation. 3 cm,or less, per day thereafter to the 16th.

post-115-0-89567800-1418215397_thumb.png

The latest 16-30 meto update is saying that there is a signal that conditions may become colder particularly into the new year.

Edited by No Balls Like Snow Balls
  • Like 8

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and warm in the Summer, cold and snowy in the winter, simples!

Had a look through all the output and IMO not much has changed this morning, the models have each toyed around with having the Azores high ridge in at some stage but they have also chopped and changed from run to run. They may show a more amplified pattern again this evening.

Putting a positive spin on things down the line;

There were always going to be warm sectors thrown across us between the bouts of PM air and I think it is too early to say these will become more prominent as the pattern flattens because as far as I can see it is by no means certain the pattern will flatten, certainly not over the timescales being discussed up to and through Christmas.

I can see a less cold interlude being quite possible, with a flatter pattern over several days, though it's by no means certain and anyway I think the trough will stall once it has moved East and met the Russian high which would once again lower heights in our vicinity and displace the Azores high West once more only this time the lobe of PV fueling the trough will be to our NE rather than N/NW which means winds would be more N/NE than W/NW as we have now.

If I were to assume this pattern is locked in for 10 days than I would still say there is a good chance of a colder flow setting up in around 12-14 days rather than a milder one. If the pattern remains more amplified than what the models currently show it could be sooner. 

Unfortunately it still would not be sustained cold with blocking but it could potentially be quite snowy and if the trough was deep enough the pattern would amplify so who knows what could come later by Christmas time should that happen.

Of course there is still the possibility of something unexpected popping up in the meanwhile as well but the point being that even if there is no real sign of blocking we could still get cold snap of 2 or 3 days with a chance of snow if things fall our way and we still have the current spell and the chance of upgrades for the mid term prospects so not too bad early Dec though I appreciate transient nothwesterlies aren't all that.

Fingers crossed the AH doesn't go all slug like on us and drape itself across NW Europe.

• Like 1

Posted

It turns milder for a time, but a possibility of a cold NW/ N in 7 days time.

Problem with NW'erlys is they are a bit like a stripper. Your all excited about it before it happens but after its happened, you are just left feeling frustrated and wishing you had got more

• Like 8

Posted
  • Location: Derbyshire Peak District South Pennines Middleton & Smerrill Tops 305m (1001ft) asl.
  • Location: Derbyshire Peak District South Pennines Middleton & Smerrill Tops 305m (1001ft) asl.

The latest 16-30 meto update is saying that there is a signal that conditions may become colder particularly into the new year.

Can i just say the 16-30 update is no change to it's last, With no mention of any colder signals, But cold shots from the N/W.

Edited by Polar Maritime
  • Like 1

Posted

Ummm sorry yes it does.

The last week of December will most likely stay unsettled and often windy with weather systems arriving from the west or northwest. It is likely that the UK will see cloudy periods with spells of rain, but that these will probably be interspersed by clearer and colder conditions with showers, which could turn wintry at times, mainly in the north. The most unsettled conditions are likely to be in the north and west. However, there is a signal that conditions may become colder particularly into the New Year, although the is a large amount of uncertainty surrounding this. Temperatures are expected be around average for the time of year, the may turn colder than normal in the New Year.

Yep  signals seem to be pointing perhaps to a more blocked set up as we enter new year   hopefully in the next few days  some nice fi charts will start appearing

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heat and Snow

Based on today's 06z GFS it does look like there is a strong possibility now of getting a below average December. The CET is forecast to be 0.7-1C below the average for the 15th, and with the PM incursions looking like continuing into the Christmas period this looks like almost a certainty now. So far we've had snow for many places, and more snow is forecast to continue during this coming week. Snow is possible at lower levels with 2-5cm possible for places in Northern England. While the south is unlikely to get much snow at lower levels this side of Christmas, there has still been plenty of frosts, which makes it a lot better than last year. Many of the LRF's, including the Met Office model were forecasting an average/mild December, so that's already 1-0 to the OPI in my opinion. January is still looking interesting to me, with the stratoshperic warming continuing to show during the Christmas period.

A quick look at the cold and snow chances this week:

Thursday

30-582UK.GIF?10-630-290UK.GIF?10-624-779UK.GIF?10-6

Thursday will feel bitterly cold with snow for Scotland, Northern England and Northern Ireland.

Friday

57-582UK.GIF?10-657-290UK.GIF?10-648-779UK.GIF?10-6#

Friday will feel like the middle of Winter in Norway with highs of 0-2C in the North, and feeling like -5 to -8 in parts of the North. More snow for Northern England and Scotland.

Saturday

78-582UK.GIF?10-681-290UK.GIF?10-681-779UK.GIF?10-6

The South will join the rest of the UK on Saturday with highs of just 2-3C, and again it will feel far colder than that with feel like temperatures widely below freezing. I'd wrap up warm in Central Scotland with it feeling below -10C! Precipitation does look minimal, but wherever there is any it will surely fall as snow even at lower levels.

So yeah, this position in December isn't bad at all!

• Like 9

Posted

im sure ian can help us re the updated meto 30 dayer. its either those ecm clusters coming back, latest mogreps having some colder clusters or the latest run of glosea showing a ssw and this caveat is there in case of a quick trop response.

as far as the morning ens runs are concerned, little of apparent interest via the means but i do note some colder london ecm members appearing approaching xmas

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: Cold & Snowy, Summer: Just not hot

im sure ian can help us re the updated meto 30 dayer. its either those ecm clusters coming back, latest mogreps having some colder clusters or the latest run of glosea showing a ssw and this caveat is there in case of a quick trop response.

as far as the morning ens runs are concerned, little of apparent interest via the means but i do note some colder london ecm members appearing approaching xmas

The regular ECM clusters don't reach into New Year yet, and the ECM monthly hasn't been updated for a couple of days, so I'm not sure the ECM has anything to do with it. I certainly can't find anything on the EPS or the EC monthly to suggest an overriding signal for cold. The monthly tends to show a westerly dominated pattern with chances of north-westerly spells at times as we had into the start of January, continuing the average-to-cool theme.

• Like 1

Posted

Ummm sorry yes it does.The last week of December will most likely stay unsettled and often windy with weather systems arriving from the west or northwest. It is likely that the UK will see cloudy periods with spells of rain, but that these will probably be interspersed by clearer and colder conditions with showers, which could turn wintry at times, mainly in the north. The most unsettled conditions are likely to be in the north and west. However, there is a signal that conditions may become colder particularly into the New Year, although the is a large amount of uncertainty surrounding this. Temperatures are expected be around average for the time of year, the may turn colder than normal in the New Year.

Sadly for coldies I believe that weeks 3 and 4 are updated twice a week and that the above update might have been driven by the increase in cold members picked up by the mets long range models over the weekend. This signal was quickly dropped and I would expect the next 3 and 4 update to drop these references to cold in weeks 3 and 4 in their next update.

• Like 1

Posted

Ummm sorry yes it does.

My error, Yes quite correct, I looked at yesterdays as not been updated yet in the Meto thread, But good news all the same  :)  

Edited by Polar Maritime
  • Like 2

Posted

Im not sure I agree with some of the comments made this morning.

Firstly the outlook does not look like bringing any signifiant cold spell via blocking and this can clearly be seen on the SLP ensembles.

https://max.nwstatic.co.uk/ensimages/ens.20141210/06/prmslOslo.png

https://max.nwstatic.co.uk/ensimages/ens.20141210/06/prmslReyjavic.png

The best we can get from this period is what we are seeing i.e brief colder NW,lys followed by brief milder spells.

infact it is quiet notable the lack of cold across most of Europe in the forecast period.

https://max.nwstatic.co.uk/ensimages/ens.20141210/06/t850Berlin.png

https://max.nwstatic.co.uk/ensimages/ens.20141210/06/t850Oslo.png

Even poor Moscow struggles to get below -5C!

https://max.nwstatic.co.uk/ensimages/ens.20141210/06/t850Moscow.png

This is all because so far this month the NAO has been positive as predicted by the seasonal models. At this stage nothing in the model output suggests this is likely to change in the near future.

http://www.cpc.ncep.noaa.gov/products/precip/CWlink/pna/nao.sprd2.gif

• Like 9

Posted

A quick update for the LRF fans with the CFS continuing it's blocked theme for January with a general broadscale pattern of low heights in the Mediterranean Basin and a Sceuro HP migrating into a Scandi HP with a generally cold easterly feed.....I'll continue to be watching this with interest 

At risk of sounding terribly thick, but can somebody please enlighten me as to what the term "Sceuro" means?

Scandi Euro?

Southern/Central Euro?

Bish

Edited by Bishop Brennan
  • Like 3

Posted

At risk of sounding terribly thick, but can somebody please enlighten me as to what the term "Sceuro" means?

Scandi Euro?

Southern/Central Euro?

Bish

Think its Scandi

• Like 1