Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Model Output Discussion - The Start Of Winter

Paul

Posted

I do hope your instincts are correct on this but the GEM is the king of the amplifiers and has seemingly performed quite

badly recently. What better time though to thoroughly redeem itself :clapping:

Indeed yes it would be! It was the only run that "looked right", according to my unscientific appraisal! If the GEM model is the amplifier, then I guess the GFS is the opposite, so maybe the actual outcome will be somewhere in between. We'll see!

Posted

Have done a synoptic analysis for the coming 10 days or so - including the weather 'bomb' tomorrow and the wintry spell following for northern areas, then the pattern next week/beyond:

http://www.netweather.tv/index.cgi?action=news;storyid=6340;sess=

Not a strong heavy snow signal from 18z GFS early Friday as that wave and associated fronts move through, with precip likely to turn to snow quite light and heavier precip further south in the milder air. But could change - so one to keep a close eye on.

18z seems to have flattened out the flow mid-week next week too to more in line with ECM, 12z op was more amplified.

Hi Nick, should we not be paying more attention to the GFS Parallel runs though? Are these not the upgraded version of GFS?

Posted

Indeed yes it would be! It was the only run that "looked right", according to my unscientific appraisal! If the GEM model is the amplifier, then I guess the GFS is the opposite, so maybe the actual outcome will be somewhere in between. We'll see!

Yes, 9 times out of 10 will be a middle ground.

Posted

Could anyone tell me if the 18z GFS has more credence these days? I hope not as both the (old) GFS and GFS P for the 18Z

have followed the ECM 12z with the propensity to build heights over south west Europe. Please someone tell me that the 18z

is still a drunkard lol - and even the pretender to the throne - parallel.

Posted

Hi Nick, should we not be paying more attention to the GFS Parallel runs though? Are these not the upgraded version of GFS?

I'd guess yes, but tbh its just as grim and very similar the existing GFS.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Blizzards, Hoarfrost, Frost and Extremes

Big differences tonight in the models for just 48  -60 hrs.

Latest GFS (above) shows the secondary coming straight across the Midlands with a period of back-edge snow.

BBC (UKMO) has temps of 9C for the Midlands at  the same time with Severe gales and the secondary crossing central Scotland.

Who will be correct?

MIA

Given that the local Meto (for BBC East Midlands ) were forecasting snow for yesterday IMBY (it didn't even rain!) I would be inclined to go with the GFS   :wallbash:  :crazy: 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow

The thing is both the gfs and parallel run have the low at 60 hours virtually in the same place so can they both be wrong?

Yes they can, even at that timeframe there is the chance that are both are somewhat off. Just keep watching developments on future runs, generally as we get closer models "usually" gets model agreement. Short range models handy like the Euro 4 as we get closer (goes out to 48hrs?)

Edited by Mark N

Posted

Yes they can, even at that timeframe there is the chance that are both are somewhat off. Just keep watching developments on future runs, generally as we get closer models "usually" gets model agreement. Short range models handy like the Euro 4 as we get closer (goes out to 48hrs?)

18z euro4 should be coming out now!! I understand if one of the gfs runs were showing the low further south and the other run showing it to be further north but with both of them showing it in a similar position i wouldn't think they'd be that far off!!

Posted

Just seen the pressure chart on the euro4 and its pretty much the same as the 18z gfs so maybe its onto something! ! Ian Ferguson could maybe give us a bit more information on the potential!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Blizzards,Hot Thundery nights.

Morning all, have just read post #1339 from Vorticity0123 and would just like to say what a wonderfully explained post it is.

Even I could understand it. :-)

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and frost in the winter. Hot and sunny, thunderstorms in the summer.

Day 6 charts

ECM

ECH1-144.GIF?10-12

Similar to yesterday, the Azores high move into southern Europe for week 2

UKMO

UN144-21.GIF?10-05

The Azores high is in a similar position to the others this morning.

GFS

gfsnh-0-144.png?0Aga

The GFS shows something more promising with a chance of a colder shot once again at days 7/8

Parallel

gfsnh-0-144.png?0

Makes less of the cooler shot than the GFS

GEM

gemnh-0-144.png?00

Whist not visible here, the GEM soon becomes the odd one out with significant Atlantic ridging. Given it's the GEM it's probably not worth paying too much attention to it. For me the outlook looks likely to be a westerly dominated pattern with rain and strong winds at times. If anything there is a trend for temperatures to climb back to average or even a little above later on if the Azores high shifts into southern Europe.

Edited by Captain shortwave
  • Like 2

Posted

ECM op develops a pretty big scandi trough in week 2 but even that becomes negatively tilted in the face of the Siberian ridge. Looks like the jet aligning more nw/se which is a predictable response. this follows on from ed's post yesterday re this possible evolution.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: extreme weather

Looking very likely now that next week we will be heading to a westerly regime with rain and plenty of wind. Plus if the Azores high ridges into Southern Europe we could be looking at temps above average. So think after these pm hits this week. Think into next week if the gfs is correct we willbe seeing temps recover.

Posted

Very disappointing output. It looks as though another brief NW,ly cold outbreak may occur around the 18th Dec but thereafter a mild/very mild SW,ly will spread across the UK. This can be seen on the ensembles but also this would follow on from the ECM +240 chart.

https://max.nwstatic.co.uk/ensimages/ens.20141210/00/t850Cambridgeshire.png

Edited by Polar Maritime
To remove LRF comments.
  • Like 4

Morning All

Nice to see matt posting in here, although probably not what most fancied reading.

On a model update looks like UKMO is back up & running - 72 on meteociel

As for the models an update today around 10 which should be a little more positive ......

S

Edited by Polar Maritime
To remove LRF comments.
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Location: Derbyshire Peak District South Pennines Middleton & Smerrill Tops 305m (1001ft) asl.
  • Location: Derbyshire Peak District South Pennines Middleton & Smerrill Tops 305m (1001ft) asl.

Models Discussion please, There are other threads for LRF's.

Just for a little perspective this morning, We are currently only 10 days into Winter..

Thanks, PM

• Like 6

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything

Yes previous posters have summed it up. The D16 GEFS mean:  post-14819-0-75905500-1418195193_thumb.p

Though I could have used anyone from the last 6-7 days and it would be the same. Very consistent GEFS along with JMA and EC32. No shock really, it was always going to be a medium term problem, Novembers amplified pattern, as it just delayed the inevitable 2-3+ weeks of Atlantic driven weather. However November's pattern kept the PV disorganised and at the moment there is no sign of imminent recovery; so for the last half of Winter we may benefit. CFS run after run is consistent for winter in Feb-April with the Greenland negative anomalies gone:

post-14819-0-94581300-1418196453_thumb.p  post-14819-0-83601300-1418196620_thumb.p

It has however not been keen on a blocked setup in January.

The ECM showed the odd outlier suit where blocking fleetingly visited, the GEFS did yesterday (12z) but we need these to run consistently for several days before we can draw conclusions. The GEFS are not doing that.

GEM is notorious for over amplification on its op but looking at last night's mean is it in line with the other models:

post-14819-0-23993600-1418195589_thumb.p

ECM again at D10 offers some amplification downstream but that is it's will and will be gone tonight: post-14819-0-53278800-1418195731_thumb.g

I am not confident that the trop can develop a more blocked pattern without an SSW so its a matter of waiting till mid-Jan for a significant pattern change. We may get variations on the theme, from a NW-SE jet, to a flatter jet, but nothing that is likely to herald a cold wintry period. The trend for temps in the south remains for average to above in FI:

post-14819-0-53964800-1418196189_thumb.g

Edited by i'm dreaming of...
  • Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Southerly tracking low pressure in winter. Hot and thundery in the summer

Morning,

Not that I often post in here, but I think the above post sums up the situation well and just wanted to relay my own thoughts, as a one off. Starting with the stratospheric events and clearly that will have little impact on present day so despite that being a positive development towards the end of December, any influences from that will not be felt until January, so anyone thinking that will have an impact in the short and medium term will, unfortunately, be let down. The developments at the moment continue to point towards an area of the polar vortex remaining in place over Greenland and surrounding areas, perhaps wandering a little, but overall it remains in place. The other feature which seems to be developing, as mentioned in the post above, is there is growing ENS support for the Azores high to build into SW Europe rather than remain well to the W and SW of the UK and hence allow for these NW'ly outbreaks. This, as a result, does look as though it'll lead to more of a tropical maritime air mass at times and again this will lead to a rise in temperatures. 

Whilst day-to-day variations could change, it would seem that the broader pattern is now almost 'locked in' for the next 2 weeks at least, which takes us towards Christmas. The MJO has failed to make any impact and is about to head into the 'circle of death' as it is so-called named. Clearly Christmas is just around the corner and whilst a temporary NW'ly may occur for Christmas (pot luck setup as per usual in the UK), the weather does look like being mild and unsettled at the moment as the most favoured outcome. The potential for a 2nd half of the month pattern change is now becoming increasingly unlikely, perhaps with the exception of the final week of the month and more potentially into the New Year, but the persistence of the +NAO pattern looks set to continue and I, personally, cannot see any significant pattern change to bring 'true' winter synoptics across the N Atlantic until the end of December at the earliest now.

Regards, Matt.

Wise words , which although hasn't occured yet , it just reminds me of the unpredictability of the weather , whilst the strat warming gives us hope , it's also a reminder to me that even with other factors on our side this year , for example the massive SSI we saw in October , the weather in the main has its own ideas , because at the turn of the month the massive russian high was replaced by a massive Russian low ! Which really holted the progression of the feedback process , infact it was indicative of a low snow advancement index , which really gives question marks on the reliability of it . Of course that's now reverted back to the expected pattern of high pressure over there, Sure a "a cold hearted winter" may well happen , let's all hope so , but a SSW doesn't guarentee a thing in itself , just increases our chances . Time will tell I suppose .

I for one hope for a flip in the models ASAP and know how quick models can change , just hope the high doesn't get into South europe cause that can be one disgusting pattern.

Edited by Polar Maritime
To remove reverences to LRF's.
  • Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: extreme weather

So looks like average to above on the charts this morning. Not great output if it's cold and snow your after. Especially with the Azores moving into Southern Europe. This could move the temps into the above average category. Think until we see the ssw take effect we will just have to grin and bear it. In the words of frosty mild mush is making a comeback I'm afraid.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Spanish Plumes, Blizzards, Severe Frosts :-)

I don't get all this we will be returning to a westerly regime next week business..we are already in a westerly regime are we not? As for it turning generally milder, when the met office stop saying cold incursions then I will accept it but for now, there has been no downgrade..I mean, what is there to downgrade from? the south has had diddly squat cold weather as it is..so what's new?

• Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Spanish Plumes, Blizzards, Severe Frosts :-)

Thanks, PM

Indeed, with lots more pm to come, especially oooop north :cold:

• Like 1