Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Model Output Discussion - The Start Of Winter

Paul

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Southerly tracking LPs, heavy snow. Also 25c and calm

Around 10% of the ensemble members go for a lowering of heights over Europe, and HP taking hold to our NE. But 20% go for a Euro high!

The predominant pattern is one from the west or northwest, continuing the average-to-cold conditions, while remaining unsettled. The snow over the Scottish mountains could well continue to pile up.

Cheers Nick...Plenty of time Nick say 10 days down the line to develop,  lovely current pattern emerging for early winter

BFTP

• Like 2

Posted

There have been a couple of posts this evening that have confused me , Nick L replied to SM`s post about what the ECM showed after t+240  and Nick replied there was decent support for a scandi high between 288 and 360 hrs, ( which is understandable as SM is like most of us on here, anticipating a much colder turn mid month.. ie 288= 18th dec to 360= 2nd jan) in turn invariably supports a much hypotheised forecast to high level building somewhere either to the north east or northwest of the UK.  

Then, Ian F  replied to NIck L post that all he could see from the ECM clusters were `dartboard` lows in our vacinity for that timescale. 

Assuming the ECM 12z wasn`t an outlier heres what the ensembles show 

T+144

attachicon.gifEDH101-144.gif

Deep low pressure ` dartboard type` as agreed on all models over or near the UK, a sausage shaped high anomaly stretching way across the atlantic and the USA to the south, and a very flabby high pressure to the east sat over western Russia. 

Now lets see what is happening at T+192

attachicon.gifEDH101-192.gif

Hights across the atlantic begin to weaken and at the same time the deep trough over the UK begins to weaken too.. the flabby heights to the east over russia begin to inflate and literally doubles in size. 

So at T+240 we have ....

attachicon.gifEDH101-240.gif

A weak azores high penned in well to our south , a shallow looking trough to the north of the uk, which has actually been pushed back by a very good looking high to our east which looks like its advancing westwards. 

Sorry Ian, but are you sure you are looking at this years charts and not last years  :rofl:

`IF` the ensembles are any where near the mark we can anticipate stalling lows, trough disruption and if really lucky undercutters. :rolleyes:  

Either way, PM flows for the time being, with a chance of heights pushing into Scandi ... fingers crossed!!

As always I stand to be corrected but those are anomaly charts which means that they don't necessarily equate to dartboard low or flabby shallow high or whatever: they are average pressure at the time mentioned compared to average pressure generally. Therefore I am not sure that it is correct to interpret them as you have done.

That said I too am extremely confused by Ian's comment compared to Nick L as they seem completely at odds with each other. Ian refers to deep lows North of or even over the uk. This would suggest a generally westerly flow. Whilst that doesn't equate solidly to mild weather, it is very different from the scenario Nick mentioned in his post hence my confusion. I therefore do not think I agree with the "blizzards" comment (much as I would like to) as that would be highly unusual in a mainly westerly flow away from Scottish high ground, especially this early in the season.

The GFS in FI both 6z and 0z before it supported Ian to a degree in giving a westerly flow in FI but no dartboard lows and in any case Ian has previously said that GFS low res is given very little credibility.

The signs more generally seem to point towards a colder evolution as per Nick L but when METO say no, only a fool doesn't listen (although of course they could be wrong).

I am a bit generally baffled by this apparent dichotomy and really don't know what to make of it.

If Ian and/or nick could explain then I for one would be very grateful!

• Like 3

Posted

Around 10% of the ensemble members go for a lowering of heights over Europe, and HP taking hold to our NE. But 20% go for a Euro high!

The predominant pattern is one from the west or northwest, continuing the average-to-cold conditions, while remaining unsettled. The snow over the Scottish mountains could well continue to pile up.

10%? Would that be the same probability that the forecast zonality several weeks ago wouldn't make it and we would see a continental flow instead?

• Like 4

Posted

Nick and ian are referring to the ECM clusters. The anomolys won't necessarily pick that up and the mean post day 10 definitely won't.

Your best indicator that we can see will be the london graphs in 30 mins

Moreover, I was also referring to 1000hPa clusters. I also did NOT say "all I can see is...". I merely said a repeating (sometimes potentially deeper) cyclonicity signal to N was striking: but bear in mind these are ENS clusters, not DET output! I see nothing in other output to alter that broadscale view: it also tallies with UKMO stance (posted earlier) on strong dipole of low heights to N, high to S, into 10-15d period.

• Like 6

Posted

Models supporting a more amplified flow over the atlantic as we move through next week aiding the development of more robust mid atlantic heights and conversely allowing a more northerly flow to develop as we head towards the weekend, the outcome of this will be some rather cold weather for December and certainly a significant risk of snow down to low levels where precipitation occurs even in some southern parts I would say - but still a while off.

Longer term - well as ever all eyes on developments across to the west atlantic, if we see further amplification take hold this would maintain stronger heights close to the west/northwest which could quite easily begin to ridge NE in the vicinity of Norway..  allowing lower heights to take hold over Europe.

Lots going on - no obvious signs of an impending very cold spell, nor anything particularly mild neither, indeed odds favour a continuation of near or below average temps as we move further into December.

• Like 7

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: heat and cold, storms and blizzards...zonal a no no

20% chance of a euro high... would definately have some on this thread revelling in glory, however, 10% of a scandi high sounds more like a no chance scenario.... what does the remaining 70% show ?

A very confusing picture just when i thought shannon had taken a holiday, like the PV is almost about to, Perhaps lets just get to middle of next week , get the storm out of the way, and enjoy the snow wherever it lands , im really certain we will be wheeling out the fat lady before long  :rolleyes:

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Southerly tracking LPs, heavy snow. Also 25c and calm

What i find interesting is that the GFS didn't have a sniff of this northerly 48hrs ago for in 6 days

Really proves that things can change very quickly... Let's hope things get very Wintry for all :)

gfs-2014120418-0-192_bod2.pnggfs-0-144_nzj3.png

Good post, agree wholeheartedly.  That is quite an increase in amplification.  Can't wait for next 2-3 days worth of model watching...maybe some more amplification and probably some more flattening....and the elation and despondency 

BFTP

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer:sunny, some Thunder,Winter:cold & snowy spells,Other:transitional

Moreover, I was also referring to 1000hPa clusters. I also did NOT say "all I can see is...". I merely said a repeating (sometimes potentially deeper) cyclonicity signal to N was striking: but bear in mind these are ENS clusters, not DET output! I see nothing in other output to alter that broadscale view: it also tallies with UKMO stance (posted earlier) on strong dipole of low heights to N, high to S, into 10-15d period.

Ian, re: your final bit above.

Am I right to ascertain from this, that you believe the UK will be sitting to the North of the High Pressure area during this timeframe and thereby, largely under the influence of PM airstreams throughout.  :good:

Edited by gottolovethisweather

Posted
  • Location: Derbyshire Peak District South Pennines Middleton & Smerrill Tops 305m (1001ft) asl.
  • Location: Derbyshire Peak District South Pennines Middleton & Smerrill Tops 305m (1001ft) asl.

Good post, agree wholeheartedly.  That is quite an increase in amplification.  Can't wait for next 2-3 days worth of model watching...maybe some more amplification and probably some more flattening....and the elation and despondency 

BFTP

Yes Blast, Lot's of uncertainty in detail, A few small shifts N/S can make all the difference in these set-ups. For which the Models can change at short notice for these adjustments.

Edited by Polar Maritime
  • Like 4

Posted

What i find interesting is that the GFS didn't have a sniff of this northerly 48hrs ago for in 6 days

Really proves that things can change very quickly... Let's hope things get very Wintry for all :)

Very true things do change quickly particularly with the track and timing of these depressions but I think it a little unfair to say it didn't have a sniff. It was sniffing around the day before.

post-12275-0-94909200-1417907824_thumb.p

Edited by knocker
  • Like 1

Posted

Hello BA would you mind explaining a tad please why?

Supportive of the raw output and the broken fronts in the sub 528 dam flow will deliver something wintry across Central areas on Thursday night.

• Like 7

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer:sunny, some Thunder,Winter:cold & snowy spells,Other:transitional

I think he's referring to the 528DAM line snow-maker (give or take a few other required variables) and the positioning of an incoming warm front over Southern Britain bumping into frigid air.

Best not look into things too deeply at such a range though.  :good:

Edited by gottolovethisweather
  • Like 1

Posted

Am I right to ascertain from this, that you believe the UK will be sitting to the North of the High Pressure area during this timeframe and thereby largely under the influence of PM airstreams throughout.  :good:

Although EC-ENSGrams for e.g. London or Reading show wide-ish but predictably so spread towards latter stages (I recall seeing 2m temps on 12z offering minority member support across anywhere from circa +12 to -3!), it looks broadly average as best my cursory look gauged (not mild) most of the way.

• Like 6

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: heat and cold, storms and blizzards...zonal a no no

A long way off in meteorological terms, but a developing warm front pushing up from the southwest crashing into a frigid cold airmass... once far enough inland rain will turn readily to snow (or at least front edge snow), also heavy ppn comes with it. the front also has the potential to stall then pivot south eastwards. 

would be fun and games if it verifies and your underneath wherever it stalls 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms, Squall Lines, Storm Force Winds & Extreme Weather!

Tonight's 18z GFS brings back thursday night's/friday morning's severe gales across southern England into East Anglia and Kent.

post-1600-0-71445900-1417907526_thumb.pn

One to watch this one..... :wink:  

Mammatus

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: extremes

Still a little disappointing for us in the south.

Although many are excited and understandably so !

Us in the south don't look like getting anything here.

Hopefully we can get some real heights nw or ne and channel lows this is possible but unlikely from the outputs seen.

Mind you pretty blowy at times but modified upper air is not to good for us in the sw se and South other than the highest hills.

Although coldest air does not look to be at our East more to our North and northwest.

So I'm hoping for a Greenland or Scandinavia heights but certainly not showing.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heat and Snow

The GFS is still going for the Northerly at day 6, but at day 7 the Azores high starts ridging in and we end up with with a W/SW. Hopefully the ECM continues with it's run from last night.

Also looks like the Azores is would move in at day 7 on the UKMO, so the most likely solution is a brief Northerly followed by some less cold and settled conditions.

There's still time for changes though, hopefully ECM prolongs the Northerly and the Azores is further SW.

Edited by Barry95

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Horizontal Drizzle - Nice Blizzards

00Z for today  - 7th December ended up a downgrade to be honest - but travelling over Shap through Cumbria later today to Keswick

(and through Dunmail Raise on the A591) I will see what the conditions really are like.

post-6879-0-40563300-1417932032_thumb.pn

All eyes obviously on Thursday

post-6879-0-44818100-1417931838_thumb.pn

but a week yesterday

post-6879-0-88241400-1417931829_thumb.pn

This is at +126 - was +144 considered reliable?

post-6879-0-06028600-1417931814_thumb.pn

Could be a different story -  all in all a very interesting week on here.

Ian

Edited by Iceaxecrampon
  • Like 1