Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Model Output Discussion - The Start Of Winter

Paul

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms frost snow heatwaves

PM shots aplenty this coming week with quite a potent one featuring next Fri/Sat, however latter stages of this am's Ecm op look very uninspiring with what has been described on here as that wretched Azores high, as it yet again threatens something less favourable from a coldies perspective  :diablo:

post-17830-0-87073100-1417851429_thumb.j

post-17830-0-12061300-1417851443_thumb.j

post-17830-0-57622800-1417851453_thumb.j

Edited by Newberryone

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything

Yes models are slowing down the overall zonal pattern so the topplers are slightly less transient and the following ridge showing slightly more respite. GEM never really goes more than average for the PM shot and continues to bring some warmer uppers in from D9:

post-14819-0-66966700-1417851893_thumb.p   post-14819-0-59612100-1417851860_thumb.p

No surprise that last night's 12z outlier is not repeated and GFS op is much flatter before D10: post-14819-0-69981400-1417851995_thumb.p

ECM also trending more towards GEM at D10: post-14819-0-24763400-1417852051_thumb.g

A cooler period but no widespread snow at sea-level and really nice seasonal feel as we continue to wait for blocking to develop.

Looking at the D16 GEFS the signal for heights to build near Greenland have all but gone as they now show a persistent mean area of low pressure in that region; the main PV lobe is in  Siberia, and any amplification now appears to be W.US and Pacific:

post-14819-0-75730600-1417852287_thumb.p

But to be honest there is no real signal for a HLB cluster in our region and the Russian/Siberian high may be more of a driver (small cluster) as it eases west. Still warming starting at D12 and continuing at D16:

post-14819-0-38262900-1417852601_thumb.p

Not all things going to plan in the strat but the chances of an SSW in January probably remain higher than no SSW.

Next week's storm, some "bombogenesis" incoming:

NWSOPC
00Z OPC 48-Hour surface forecast w/hyperactive Atlantic, storm force lows in W & E Atlc, bombogenesis near Greenland. http://t.co/f3qDzCInhS
06/12/2014 07:22 Edited by i'm dreaming of...
  • Like 6

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: April!

you keep going on about people 'going on' about mild...ive not seen one post anywhere that ramps mild more then what has been shown on the models, and just a week ago we had 15c !!! was that not mild?

of course we could turn this around and ask wheres all these pattern changes to cold (as in deep cold) that have been promised ever since all that northern blocking earlier last month? all those 'building blocks' that were supposed to lead to a cold spell as vaunted by some came to nothing..... nor did the eastern block that followed.

so no, theres no mild spells expected, nor are there any real cold spells for all, as nick l posted - average - below average which in december is cold (but not the deep cold most here seem to want).

There is certainly a pattern change afoot in that only a week ago the models were touting the Azores High to be the main player in the UK weather this coming week and there was plenty of talk about the pleasant anticyclonic, quiet weather it would bring.

Now however, we are looking at a wet windy and cold week ahead, with increasing chances of Northerly incursions.

What this has taught relatively inexperienced people like myself is that the models are frequently wrong after about 7 days. That doesn't mean I don't value their existence or LRFs etc, but only for gaining more knowledge in the overall patterns that make up our weather. Actually trying to get into specifics is fraught with danger.

So I take no notice of a mild forecast at 14 days out in the same way as a cold one.

Edited by Polar Maritime
To remove off topic reverences.
  • Like 7

Posted
  • Location: Derbyshire Peak District South Pennines Middleton & Smerrill Tops 305m (1001ft) asl.
  • Location: Derbyshire Peak District South Pennines Middleton & Smerrill Tops 305m (1001ft) asl.

A few post's have been moved, Model Discussion only please in here.

PM

• Like 2

Posted

Maybe its too early but I'm still trying to decide what this ECM ensemble spread shows:

Pressure:

post-1206-0-05988700-1417855736_thumb.gi

The 850's:

post-1206-0-38857500-1417856073_thumb.gi

It does seem that over the west of the USA and Canada theres room for a more amplified set up which would explain that drive of warmer air north.

Posted

I think the upstream situation is dependant upon the split flow off the eastern seaboard that will become more of an issue through week 2. At the moment, the ens behind day 10 are not best resolved to work this out. the general continuation of jet nw/se axis with depressions running west to east then dropping heights to our east with the Azores ridge rising and falling in tandem with each surge of the jet across the Atlantic. As time has ticked down, we have seen ops both over amplify the ridge and also flatten the pattern somewhat. So it's not a straightforward 'flatter pattern nearer the time' set up.

whilst the major anomolys week 2 remain high w Russian, canada, w Atlantic and low n pacific and east Siberia, there remains plenty of wriggle room for the detail to be decided in Europe. as I said, I think the energy distribution of the upstream split flow will dictate where we go.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow then clear and frosty.

We are having to remove comments and the odd post, which are nothing to do with model discussion.

Just a request to keep to the charts/data not individuals.

Cheers all.

• Like 1

Posted

I think the upstream situation is dependant upon the split flow off the eastern seaboard that will become more of an issue through week 2. At the moment, the ens behind day 10 are not best resolved to work this out. the general continuation of jet nw/se axis with depressions running west to east then dropping heights to our east with the Azores ridge rising and falling in tandem with each surge of the jet across the Atlantic. As time has ticked down, we have seen ops both over amplify the ridge and also flatten the pattern somewhat. So it's not a straightforward 'flatter pattern nearer the time' set up.

whilst the major anomolys week 2 remain high w Russian, canada, w Atlantic and low n pacific and east Siberia, there remains plenty of wriggle room for the detail to be decided in Europe. as I said, I think the energy distribution of the upstream split flow will dictate where we go.

I think the long wave pattern is quite set in the 8-14 day period, as the GEFS have been suggesting for a while. NOAA are giving "high confidence" in the US pattern, so downstream as you say the UK is subject to variations in the overall theme. That signal is a broadly westerly flow with possibilities of a flat to a more amplified shortwave ridge-trough combo. There is no sign of a ridge developing into a mid-latitude high or a trough digging south/SE and amplifying the Atlantic. The surface conditions will no doubt be cooler if there is more amplification, but in most of these cases the models meet in the middle; so just normal December weather looks the call IMO.

The 2m temps for London: post-14819-0-33371000-1417858858_thumb.g NOAA 8-14: post-14819-0-72760600-1417858886_thumb.g

• Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm dry summers

The latest snow accumulation map shows the snow risk getting much further south on this run during the next 3 to 6 days totals for parts of western Scotland look to be really mounting up could be looking at a foot of snow for some of the highest parts by later next week

uk.snow.next3to6days.cc23.jpg

• Like 8

Posted
  • Location: Llanwnnen, Lampeter, Ceredigion, 126m asl (exotic holidays in Rugby/ Coventry)
  • Location: Llanwnnen, Lampeter, Ceredigion, 126m asl (exotic holidays in Rugby/ Coventry)

The latest snow accumulation map shows the snow risk getting much further south on this run during the next 3 to 6 days totals for parts of western Scotland look to be really mounting up could be looking at a foot of snow for some of the highest parts by later next week

uk.snow.next3to6days.cc23.jpg

Pity no scale on that SS

Posted

Re 'pattern change': not something UKMO expect into next 10-15d, with both EC and GloSea5 showing strong dipolar anomalies (low heights N of UK, high to S) with strong jet continuing westerly mobility theme. Colder outbreaks will occur periodically but they reckon temperature overall coming out as average or a tad above through this forecast period (NB not 'mild'). Frequently very windy. Shannon Entropy low into this trend period, indicative of decent confidence on broad theme.

(Edit: Thus supporting Gibby summary above)

With the current setup and teleconnections in the medium term I can't say I am surprised at all other than the 'temperature overall coming out as average or a tad above' comment. I would have thought average and a tad below  is more likely but guessing the Met see more of a westerly then Northerly element.

• Like 6

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter synoptics.Hot summers.

Yes, some conflicting signals from different sources, if we get to phase 7-8 of MJO potential for a pattern change in next few weeks. However, reading the latest AER analysis and forecast issued yesterday, they seem to think the AO will be neutral/+ve for the next few weeks, the NAO perhaps strongly +ve with a temporary strengthening of the PV, also wave propagation weakening. But, they seem confident of AO dropping by the end of the month, with even a hint at a SSW in January:

https://www.aer.com/science-research/climate-weather/arctic-oscillation

However, depsite the strong vortex to our north over Greenland and Norwegian Sea, we are seeing cold zonality and also enough amplification over the Atlantic following the mid-week's low track towards Norway to keep the cold feed going until next weekend at least ... so we are doing well I think, very well, out of the current pattern. Even hints of temporary snow across central and southern areas later next week on GFS ... but plenty of snow to come for northern areas over the coming 7 days, even to lower levels at times.

Hi Nick,just read that update on the strat thread.Fantastic insight and a few would do well to digest it.Model watching prior and during the festive period will be eagerly anticipated.I agree we are for once about to be on the favourable end of the spectrum of weather that is available to us under the current set up.Enjoy the polar westerlies I say,there will always be fronts embedded in the flow to look out for.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and frost in the winter. Hot and sunny, thunderstorms in the summer.

With the current setup and teleconnections in the medium term I can't say I am surprised at all other than the 'temperature overall coming out as average or a tad above' comment. I would have thought average and a tad below  is more likely but guessing the Met see more of a westerly then Northerly element.

The ensembles for week 2 do such that the trough over or east of the UK will begin to lift out suggesting a return of a milder westerly regime.

EDM1-240.GIF?06-12

GFS looks a little better

gens-21-1-240.png?0

GEM ens suggest a westerly pattern

gens-21-1-240.png

That said can the ensembles be trusted at this timeframe? Not too sure on that.

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: April!

We are having to remove comments and the odd post, which are nothing to do with model discussion.

Just a request to keep to the charts/data not individuals.

Cheers all.

Fair point and apologies if my original comment took the discussion off track; that was certainly not my intention. My point was more that I never see any model output here that could possibly lead to some of the very specific forecasts we see being made for dates almost three weeks hence.

On to the 6z Gfs and still looking like a windy week ahead with some secondary depressions spawning off the main trough.

post-4908-0-65036800-1417860964_thumb.pn

• Like 3

Posted

Three PM shots in the next 6 days:

Tomorrow: post-14819-0-49994800-1417860821_thumb.p  Later Tuesday: post-14819-0-69264400-1417860868_thumb.p late next week: post-14819-0-67622000-1417860889_thumb.p

None initially look likely on the GFS 06z op of bringing snow at sea level south of Birmingham. However knowing the 06 there should be some amplification from D7.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow! Exciting weather!

............6z showing interest down south for snow for next weekend with the heavier precipitation (can't post charts atm)

• Like 1

Posted

6z prolongs the polar maritime regime. The jet pattern is consistently northwest/southeast. Good for some at times and would deliver snow to many occasionally.