Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Model Output Discussion - The Start Of Winter

Paul

Posted

Just skipped over the gefs members at day 16 and to me, it seems they are trying to get a handle on where to go but making a bit of a pigs ear of it. Some mid Atlantic ridges, some Siberian ridges and a couple of members that would lead to a complete Pv breakdown and severe cold in the mid latitudes. of course, a few mid lat highs over nw Europe and displaced upper troughs. anyone got a pin?

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: SNOW ICE

Is the gfs12z to be bined because of the missing data so called red Run?

• Like 2

Posted

NCEP prefer solutions more amplified upstream. The GEFS 00hrs ensembles were ditched for being too flat aswell as the GFS 00hrs run, they preferred the ECM 00hrs ensemble mean aswell as the GEFS 06hrs because these trended to more amplitude, this is now supported by water vapour imagery from the Pacific.

This update won't include the latest ECM run however, we'll have to wait for some of the US state forecasts when they update later on.

• Like 5

Posted

This past 18 hours ( leading on from my post last night ) shows that using the 10 day mean, the 16 day Mean & the CFS mean is pretty useless, the models are picking up on the jet dropping a LONg way south over the NE states which is encouraging heights further & further North ahead of it-

Note the negative tilted low at 114 in the states ( remember what was said yesterday)

http://modeles.meteociel.fr/modeles/gfs/runs/2014120512/gfsna-0-114.png?12

Actually the main trough axis does appear more neutral/positive tilted, with the low core slightly ahead of the main trough axis. I would call it neutral/positive tilt. 

• Like 7

Posted

That's not the same T114 chart.

Both charts are the T114 from the 12Z  GFS - I used the Instant one as it was clearer regarding the isobars.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything

Both charts are the T114 from the 12Z  GFS - I used the Instant one as it was clearer regarding the isobars.

Its a positive tilt on the chart you showed though:  post-14819-0-72478300-1417803627_thumb.p

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and warm in the Summer, cold and snowy in the winter, simples!

The cold Northwesterly of late Sunday/Monday just beginning to come into range for Euro4, looking good for some wet snow to fall to low levels in the North.

14120712_0512.gif14120712_0512.gif

Edited by Mucka
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer:sunny, some Thunder,Winter:cold & snowy spells,Other:transitional

Meanwhile.................

Anyone left wondering how the reliable timeframe is being forecasted by the ECM 12z can view the attached. It does still look likely to a be notably deep depression even now. What surface conditions and general weather type will be delivered beyond its passing through or over the UK remains a most pertinent question right now.  :friends:

post-7183-0-49700800-1417803765_thumb.gi

And at t+120 hours.

post-7183-0-37742800-1417804085_thumb.gi

Here is UKMO version by way of comparison for the same timeframe.

post-7183-0-53393800-1417803786_thumb.gi

Edited by gottolovethisweather
  • Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and warm in the Summer, cold and snowy in the winter, simples!

JMA has the PV  :help: and an Arctic high forming.

JN192-21.GIF?05-12

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: extreme weather

Sorry can't post charts as I'm at work but the deep low on models tonight look like bringing us a lot of rain and gales next week. Not great. Scotland should see a lot of snow though. So the gritters will be busy. While most of U.K. might need a boat.

Posted
  • Location: Derbyshire Peak District South Pennines Middleton & Smerrill Tops 305m (1001ft) asl.
  • Location: Derbyshire Peak District South Pennines Middleton & Smerrill Tops 305m (1001ft) asl.

A much better Northerly from the ECM, With the low digging further South.

ECH1-192.GIF

Edited by Polar Maritime
  • Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold and Snow -20 would be nice :)

ECM1-168.GIF?05-0

Looking very nice folks :)

BFTP

Big big differences from this time yesterday.... Looking good :cold:

ECM1-168_jwx1.GIFECM1-192_ldf2.GIF

• Like 6

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm, bright summers and Cold, snowy winters

Ignoring the GFS op as it looks an outlier. The GEFS mean for D16 continues the NH theme to displace the Canadian/Greenland PV lobe. More towards the Siberian region tonight:

attachicon.gifgensnh-21-1-372.png

So as would be expected a cluster of more amplified members at that time scale. So the last third of December remains the most likely for a pattern change still.

Don't the GEFS members usually lag behind?

Like when we get led up the golden path then the OPs through two wild ones the GEFS continue to show the output of somewhere around a day behind?

But good trend none the less that maybe we can rid the lobe from greenland once and for all.

Posted

Hugely positive temperature anomalies at day 7 over Canada on the 12z ECM,with H500 along side......

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms, Cold & Snowy

:D 

ECM1-240.GIF?05-0

• Like 1

Posted

I wonder how many ECM ensembles might show a ne/e flow for De Bilt after day 10.

Overall some more positive output in the medium term for coldies but theres still a lot of complex interactions that will take some time to resolve over the USA and Canada.

So I think we'll need a few more days to see how this effects the pattern over western Europe.

• Like 3

Posted

I'm more confident the Canadian Arctic PV will go now, there is huge agreement on that for certain, the question will be how much amplification will there be, the models do seem to be trending on a more amplified outlook towards Newfoundland but of course, any short term shortwaves could always scupper this before you know it. 

Regarding the deep low, it has been toned down to a certain extent but the models are still showing it will still be quite a deep low, just how far Eastwards it will head will depends how severe the impacts will be and how tightly packed the isobars will be.

Whilst the outlook might not be a full on cold lovers dream, its hardly a cold lovers nightmare either, far from it. How will the weather pattern change across Canada will affect us and will it affect the PV over Greenland. Many more twists and turns to come yet for sure and I advise not to look in too much detail of each run.

• Like 7

Posted

:D 

ECM1-240.GIF?05-0

The low sinks into southern Europe, the Azores high ridges up to meet the ever growing Siberian high and hey presto, easterly incoming at day 12. The tweet by Matt Hugo last night made reference to the EC cluster bringing in an easterly at 2 weeks out.

Posted

A change is definitely on the way, interesting times ahead :)

ECH1-168.GIF?05-0gfsnh-0-168.png?12

Nothing mild in the foreseeable...

And GFS / ECM in reasonable enough agreement - that is encouraging. And I notice greens returning to the southern tip of Greenland at the same time.

I think we are getting close to the point where lowland areas are in the game for some snow too.

• Like 3