Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Model Output Discussion - The Start Of Winter

Paul

Posted

Strangely there is no sign of any mean upper response to that surface cluster. presumably it would turn out to be a fairly mobile feature though at this range it seems odd to see such a large cluster on something which turns out to be mobile.??

The back end of the ECM extended ens shows the main part of the vortex the other side of the NH (Far East of Siberia extending into the Aleutian area) with a small Canadian segment just nw of Greenland. As I posted earlier, of that verifies to any eat extent, I would expect to see something this side of the NH taking control. That could vary from a displaced Azores ridge over us to the Siberian one extending into scandi and beyond. it could also leave us stuck in a weak mean trough between an Atlantic ridge and west Russian one. whatever transpires, it could stick around without too much of a northern arm to move it on.

Yes, and if either one of those two scenario's transpires, mild will not be the watch word.
  • Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heat and Snow

Yep, if you are looking for mild weather in the next couple of weeks you will be very disappointed, could be a good month for snow in Scotland.

Thursday

h500slp.png

ukmaxtemp.png

Friday

h500slp.png

ukmaxtemp.png

Saturday

h500slp.png

ukmaxtemp.png

Sunday

h500slp.png

ukmaxtemp.png

As you can see from the Max Temperature Charts, it's staying rather cold throughout this week, especially for Northern UK. There is also some snow interest for Scotland and higher ground over Northern England, especially on Friday and Sunday.

Friday snow

uksnowrisk.png

uksnowrisk.png

Sunday Snow

uksnowrisk.png

uksnowrisk.png

uksnowrisk.png

So there could be some accumulations for Scotland and higher ground over Northern England as Summer Sun pointed out earlier. The Scottish Ski Resorts should be in a healthy position, especially for early December. For most of us at lower levels, we will have to keep waiting, but as Frosty says 'Patience Grasshoppers'. Anyway, as has been said numerous times, we are in a far better position than we were in this time last Winter. There's currently not a cloud in the sky as I type this, and this should continue for the next couple of days.

• Like 6

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: Cold & Snowy, Summer: Just not hot

Several posts have just been removed. Let's not resort to childish comments please.

• Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot Summer, Snowy winter and thunderstorms all year round!

A few posts removed for being off topic and/or not model output related....

An idea for posters, is that rather than posting a one-line sentence stating you disagree with a poster, try posting something more substantial giving reasons why you disgree as simply saying you disagree really doesn't help the discussion....thanks

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm, bright summers and Cold, snowy winters

Posted

Doesn't them 2 charts equate to 2 mild days out of the next 10?

I thought that from looking at all the latest model runs from the past few days is that generally temps were going to be cool to cold countrywide with the VERY ODD mild day here and there as LP's pass through. I don't know if you meant in on purpose but the way you posted would suggest it is going to be nothing but mild from now on?, which could not be any further from the truth if you tried.

Odd, as I could swear he said 'the end of the run' in his post, which I'd equate to mean the end of the run rather than all of it?!

• Like 6

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, storms and other extremes

Hi Snowman,

Yes, although some of them are heading for the "Circle of Doom" which you don't want. A rinse & repeat scenario of mush.

We have support though, even from MOGREPS-G Ensemble System:

UKME_phase_23m_full.gif

And the MOGREPS-G Control Run:

UKMA_phase_full.gif

We also have support from: Global Ensemble Forecast System (NCPE):

NCPE_phase_21m_full.gif

NCEP Global Bias-Corrected Ensemble Forecast System:

NCPE_BC_phase_21m_full.gif

Along with others...

What we don't want to see is the "Circle of Doom" scenario.

Lets see if we can get to Phase 7, and establish some blocking in areas that favour a more "cold" outcome.

JanuaryPhase7All500mb.gif

Seeing as we appear to be in an MJO led base state at present, should modelling firm up on us progressing into phase 6/7 then some 'stellar' charts showing up in the NWP can be expected soon.

• Like 2

Posted

Would trust MOGREPs ahead of any other chart. That model nailed the failed easterly in Dec 2012, the cold spell in Late Jan-April 2013 and the failed attacks on the vortex in winter 2014.

• Like 1

Posted

Would trust MOGREPs ahead of any other chart. That model nailed the failed easterly in Dec 2012, the cold spell in Late Jan-April 2013 and the failed attacks on the vortex in winter 2014.

It'll be interesting to see whether the model will now begin to pick up on any blocking signal as we progress through December.

Posted
  • Location: Caterham-on-the-hill, Surrey, 190m asl (home), Heathrow (work)
  • Location: Caterham-on-the-hill, Surrey, 190m asl (home), Heathrow (work)

By Jan, those models forecast the MJO goes too weak, so not having any major forcing impacts on trop/strat circulations. So those composites maybe less relevant if that became the case.

Strong El Nino tends to favour a weak or absent MJO, though we're unlikely to go strong rather weak or mod at the most, so hopefully the MJO will keep some amplitude this winter in the phases that are good. Be interesting to see if we go into the circle of death or remain enough strength through 7-8, as per MOGREPS, which will create some fun and games later this month.

Been out in the park with little one this afternoon, and boy does it feel raw how it should do in early Dec unlike anything experienced last winter. Though not particularly cold atm, I guess it takes a while to climatise after successive months of mild. Certainly not a mild outlook ahead by any stretch of the imagination and the strengthening wind next week sourced from polar regions will make if feel cold next week, even if temps aren't spectacularly cold unless you're up in the northern hills enjoying the snow (or not, if in a blizzard).

The pattern could be alot worse with Tm rather than Pm being the dominant airmass with the more mobile Atlantic coming late weekend, of course. Ideally many would rather see a more blocked pattern to get a cold/wintry pattern locked in, but the weather will certainly be interesting for some of us next week with everything but the kitchen sink weather wise thrown at us.

Edited by Nick F
  • Like 7

Posted

Note, the Mogreps are only one week forecast whereas the others are for two weeks. It is into the second week where signal diverges - prefer to see the multi model one, myself.

ALL_emean_phase_full.gif

• Like 3

Seeing as we appear to be in an MJO led base state at present, should modelling firm up on us progressing into phase 6/7 then some 'stellar' charts showing up in the NWP can be expected soon.

Hi Crewe,

Good call - I would expect (*IF* the MJO forecasts backed by most models get to Phase 7) the models to be showing different scenario's by early next week & the work done by Judah Cohen & his team for a colder winter than usual to start to rear it's head within the modelling outputs.

Edited by Dr. Astro
  • Like 9

Posted

Hi Crewe,

Good call - I would expect (*IF* the MJO forecasts backed by most models get to Phase 7) the models to be showing different scenario's by early next week & the work done by Judah Cohen & his team for a colder winter than usual to start to rear it's head within the modelling outputs.

The ECM MJO forecast looks well off to me but cannot simply be ignored either.

Posted

I saved this image from a post in the last thread, just to follow verification. ECM and UKMO were on the right track.

jZNbaa8.gif

• Like 1

Posted

I saved this image from a post in the last thread, just to follow verification. ECM and UKMO were on the right track.

jZNbaa8.gif

True, but it's certainly comforting that the UKMO model is progressing the MJO favourably. We'll just have to wait and see. The ECM solution could be disastrous, not just in terms of this month but also further ahead into Jan.

• Like 1

Yes, the ECMF is not what you want to happen, thats the Circle of Doom scenario I was talking about earlier, but it's not got too much support at the moment, with that said, it can still go that way.

All to play for it seems.

• Like 3

Posted

Shortwave virtually non existent on this run/does not deepen!!! When comparing to yesterday's charts its quite a big change! ! Many more changes to come possibly! !

Posted

Oh man here we go again! !! Fi at 96 hours maybe!! Ukmo more amplified and it looks to me as though the northwesterly is getting stronger by the minute for Sunday! !!

• Like 3