Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Model Output Discussion - The Start Of Winter

Paul

Posted
  • Location: Derbyshire Peak District South Pennines Middleton & Smerrill Tops 305m (1001ft) asl.
  • Location: Derbyshire Peak District South Pennines Middleton & Smerrill Tops 305m (1001ft) asl.

The Northerly looks a little stronger on the 6z for the 13th, With the low swinging a further South in turn taking the Jet with it. All in all a cool if not cold outlook, With plenty of Pm shots bringing snow to low levels from the Midlands North. With the Highlands sub-zero touching -14c..

168-583UK.GIF?06-6gfsnh-0-168.png?6

Edited by Polar Maritime
  • Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything

IDO, you've used the 7am chart on Sunday, when the cold doesn't move in until the afternoon/evening. Monday is also looking like being the coldest day, and you've completely missed it out...attachicon.gifimage.jpg

Hi Barry was just marking the demarcation of the PM flow on each of the three shots. Of course they show colder air in the subsequent frames and I am not disputing that. The colder shots on the 06z are longer than the warm TM interludes. Too early to know about chances of snow but the two initial shots say no for south of Birmingham. Fridays PM flow will continue to change.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Southerly tracking LPs, heavy snow. Also 25c and calm

Indeed pM air is the order of the day and 06z amplifies nicely again introducing some interesting little secondary troughs running through and if we get a holding pattern with trough to our east and ridge to our west these spawning trough features could bring some very interesting wintry weather.  MetO saying average to a little above is...well we'll see won't we. 

test8.gif

I think the ECM anomaly chart as JH has said makes more of the Atlantic amplified ridge and for me is more on the money,  The past 24hrs we have seen the models go for this more amplified outlook and I think there is more to come out of this as in any attempt to flatten out will be pushed back as we approach it. 

So below average temps coming [edit.. are here and more to come] and don't be surprised if some well below average temps start to show for mid December. 

BFTP

Edited by BLAST FROM THE PAST
  • Like 6

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Severe weather enthusiast

Hi Barry was just marking the demarcation of the PM flow on each of the three shots. Of course they show colder air in the subsequent frames and I am not disputing that. The colder shots on the 06z are longer than the warm TM interludes. Too early to know about chances of snow but the two initial shots say no for south of Birmingham. Fridays PM flow will continue to change.

I think that is a fair assessment IDO....some decent cold shots from the NW/N with brief westerly interludes. However at the moment, the Azores/Atlantic high is being a bit of a pain, as it is repeatedly toppling cause the coldest uppers to water down and get shunted out of the way too quickly. It could eventually work in our favour though and is better than constant SW sourced winds.

Some areas in the north will see snow, but I think we need better amplification to allow that HP to nudge N before it risks getting pushed towards Europe or sit to the South of us....interesting times to see what happens next.

Edited by Chris K

Posted

An interesting set up shown on the GFS with that shortwave however it has a tendency to over do cold at that range and so its current precip projection of snow for especially central northern areas is unreliable.

The Pennines may well get some snow but on lower ground I certainly wouldn't be getting too excited especially as this shortwave may well disappear on future outputs. I think its best to not expect too much out of that and wait and see till nearer the time whether the cold advection does indeed get that far south.

It's overall pattern looks similar to this mornings ECM 00hrs run, the upstream pattern does undergo some temporary strong amplification over the eastern Pacific and western USA and because of this we might see some more changes upstream which might help to keep the high further north around that tiimeframe:

post-1206-0-60874200-1417863121_thumb.pn

As you can see its a complex pattern with the jet all over the place in the Atlantic but upstream developing alot more amplification, this may well develop something more interesting towards the eastern USA which may in future outputs help the high.

We'll see over the coming days whether this happens.

Edited by nick sussex
  • Like 3

Posted

I think the ECM anomaly chart as JH has said makes more of the Atlantic amplified ridge and for me is more on the money,  The past 24hrs we have seen the models go for this more amplified outlook and I think there is more to come out of this as in any attempt to flatten out will be pushed back as we approach it. 

So below average temps coming and don't be surprised if some well below average temps start to show for mid December. 

BFTP

Yes it does, and looking at its last 5 days height bias for D7 I would expect a more amplified ridge:

post-14819-0-19143100-1417863124_thumb.j

So if we assume that the bias is also on this morning's run then we can tone down the likely height anomaly at D7; and expect downgrades as we get to T-0.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Location: Llanwnnen, Lampeter, Ceredigion, 126m asl (exotic holidays in Rugby/ Coventry)
  • Location: Llanwnnen, Lampeter, Ceredigion, 126m asl (exotic holidays in Rugby/ Coventry)

Yes it does, and looking at its last 5 days height bias for D7 I would expect a more amplified ridge:

attachicon.gifNOAA_NWS_NCEP_WPC_MODEL_DIAGNOSTIC_-_INTERACTIVE_MODEL_BIAS_PAGE.jpg

So if we assume that the bias is also on this morning's run then we can tone down the likely height anomaly at D7; and expect downgrades as we get to T-0.

Is it bias though or just what it produces from the data it receives?

• Like 1

Posted

The GFS 06z would provide 2 real pastings of snow within the next week if it verified,thanks to small southerly tracking lows that some have mentioned,the first of which affects parts of Scotland on Friday...

....and the second one the day after for parts of Northern England and Wales....

Way to far out for any specifics,but there is the potential for heavy snowfall over parts of the UK within the next week or so,and that's not counting Sunday night/Monday morning which could spring some surprises. :)

• Like 6

Posted

Is it bias though or just what it produces from the data it receives?

That's what NOAA calls it, "bias", who am I to argue with the experts?

You can see from the London Snow risk that the op is probably another extreme. That is the lowest snow risk for the last few days:

post-14819-0-24060800-1417866124_thumb.g

As you can see from temps 3 of the days will be about 2c above average and 3-4 below average. Ties in with the UKMO update of around average temps for the south. The further north, as you would expect from a NW'ly, should feel a bit cooler. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, snowy winters and warm sunny summers

Regarding temperatures over the coming 10 days I would expect given the strong WNW flow ranging from well below average in NW Scotland to above average in SE England due to it's longer exposure to warm sectors.

This kind of cool zonality often results in near or even above average temperatures in Central England as the mild sectors can push temperatures above 10c for a short time even though temperatures are fairly low for long periods.

The very snowy zonal spell of January 1984 is a classic point as monthly temperatures were near normal in Northern England despite frequent and heavy snowfalls and 15+ days with lying snow!

This is the reason for the MetO prediction of mean temperatures a tad above normal.

Andy

• Like 9

Posted

Regarding temperatures over the coming 10 days I would expect given the strong WNW flow ranging from well below average in NW Scotland to above average in SE England due to it's longer exposure to warm sectors.

This kind of cool zonality often results in near or even above average temperatures in Central England as the mild sectors can push temperatures above 10c for a short time even though temperatures are fairly low for long periods.

The very snowy zonal spell of January 1984 is a classic point as monthly temperatures were near normal in Northern England despite frequent and heavy snowfalls and 15+ days with lying snow!

This is the reason for the MetO prediction of mean temperatures a tad above normal.

Andy

just a technical point the actual temperature has not too much connection to the wind speed but one feels the cold much more in widny contitons with the same temperature. Thus perhaps a forecast should have something like, about average temperatures but feeling much colder in the wind?

• Like 2

Posted

Not to worry, Gavin - other tools at our disposal.

Instant weather maps have a great range of parameters. Snow depth accumulated by 192 on the 06 GFS.

http://www.instantweathermaps.com/GFS-php/showmap-eurosfc.php?run=2014120606&time=INSTANT&var=SNOD&hour=003

BJrJgeF.gif

• Like 8

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm dry summers

Not to worry, Gavin - other tools at our disposal.

Instant weather maps have a great range of parameters. Snow depth accumulated by 192 on the 06 GFS.

http://www.instantweathermaps.com/GFS-php/showmap-eurosfc.php?run=2014120606&time=INSTANT&var=SNOD&hour=003

BJrJgeF.gif

Thanks for the link, going by that most parts of the UK should at least see a dusting of snow by this time next week

EURO_SNOD_sfc_180.gif

Edited by Summer Sun
  • Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Virgins

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Polar_low

It's sometimes worth remembering that polar lows can develop at very short notice.

The models can fail to predict such features and first warning comes from satellite observations.

• Like 4

Posted

Yes we would need -40c or lower at 500hpa for Polar Lows, With such an unstable airmass who knows..

hgt500-anomaly.png

Edited by Polar Maritime

Posted

This isn't due to go live on the site until tomorrow, but since I just finished the main part of it I thought I'd share in here. 

We've now got free viewers for the NetWx-SR and NetWx-MR models (were the NMM's) - our in house hi-res models. The SR is a short range (48 hour) 4km model for the UK, with the MR running out to 7 days at 12km resolution.

SR:

http://www.netweather.tv/index.cgi?action=netwx-sr;sess=

MR

http://www.netweather.tv/index.cgi?action=netwx-mr;sess=

I hope you like them :D

Ps - For Netweather Extra (and Extra Lite) subscribers these pages will automatically take you to the subscriber versions of these charts rather than the free one if you're logged in.

Just thought I'd repost this, as it's all live and properly linked up on the site now. 

• Like 7