Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Model Output Discussion - The Start Of Winter

Paul

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Spanish Plumes, Blizzards, Severe Frosts :-)

There is plenty of cold interest on the Gfs 06z operational run with frequent pm incursions and limited mild intrusion, the most potent cold tends to sweep across Scotland but colder air does dig further SE at times. If this run verifies, the risk of snow, frost and ice will continue, especially further north and more widely during Christmas and I can see the gfs is tinkering with a much colder pattern by the end of the run, all that bottled up Arctic air could be uncorked soon.

Edited by Frosty.
  • Like 7

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow

There is plenty of cold interest on the Gfs 06z operational run with frequent pm incursions and limited mild intrusion, the most potent cold tends to sweep across Scotland but colder air does dig further SE at times. If this run verifies, the risk of snow, frost and ice will continue, especially further north and more widely during Christmas and I can see the gfs is tinkering with a much colder pattern by the end of the run, all that bottled up Arctic air could be uncorked soon.

Complete opposite of what the models actually show!

• Like 2

Posted

Let's home the 12z GFS's and the ECM flip today and start showing some FI candy....then maybe Ian F will have more positive news from the professionals.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, frost, fog and ice!

Again I have to say I think the Met Office have been pretty spot on so far this winter. The updates that Ian gives us are invaluable. He stated well over a week ago that the Met were pretty sure that the NW/W flow would continue but it would slowly become milder with the winds veering more W/SW. From looking at the model output as it stands at the moment that certainly appears to be the case. At least we have some PM shots to look forward to. I know some people are downbeat but the winter so far has been much more interesting than last years already. I personally have experienced 7 frosts already! Virtually as many as the whole of last winter!

Anyway I am hoping the MET are onto something with the potential pattern change later in the month. I will be watching the Met Office and Ian's updates with keen interest. Thanks once again Ian :)

• Like 6

Posted

Let's home the 12z GFS's and the ECM flip today and start showing some FI candy....then maybe Ian F will have more positive news from the professionals.

No eye candy likely for another few days yet on ECM op. maybe a bit more amplification end this week but that's it. I think Monday's 12z at the earliest and at the moment, ECM suite seems a bit slower than ncep so perhaps wed/Thursday.

Posted

I think the general rule of thumb is the further north you are, the colder it looks for most of the time with hardly any noteworthy mild air whereas southern england looks mildish at times, especially midweek but the northern half of scotland in particular looks decidedly wintry at times with frequent shots of pm / arctic air and snow showers. :)

Edited by Frosty.
  • Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm, bright summers and Cold, snowy winters

Anoms

T240

gensnh-21-5-240.png?6

T384

gensnh-21-5-384.png?6

Mean

T240 - Possible above average temps in the south.

gensnh-21-1-240.png?6

T384 

gensnh-21-1-384.png?6

Turning unsettled further south as troughs make further inroads into Europe. 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Day after tomorrow.

Hello don't normaly post on here but wanted to ask a question.it seems to me that the 6z and 18z charts seem to favour cold solutions more than 0z and 12z.is there a reason for this?. Cheers :)

Posted

Looking through GEFS they build further in the last couple of sets towards pattern change. I'm wondering though if we might initially end up with a west based -NAO.

We are at least back in the game though during the Christmas and new year periods.

Posted

Presumably you mean for for potential afterwards, because to my untrained eye it looks like a SW flow with rather mild temperatures

5c , 7c , 5c , 5c , 11c , 12c , 9c , 5c , 5c , 11c , 11c , 6c , 6c , 3c , 3c , 10c

Quite a mixed bag I'd say with no weather on top mild or cold.

Edited by ajpoolshark
edited out comment that could be misconstrued as sarcastic
  • Like 2

Posted

I'm very optimistic that parts of the UK will have a white Christmas due to the topsy turvy pattern of mild alternating with cold day to day, it should be mentioned that milder air looks like having more success next week, especially through the midweek period but overall it's rather chilly with wintry ppn in the north and occasionally across the south too. At least we are in with a shout for Xmas day to be white instead of the usual green but we require a bit of luck with timings.

• Like 7

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Sun, Heat, Cold,T/storms via Spanish plumes *rare*

GFS 12z clearing some of the PV from Greenland at 144hrs which should allow the Azores to ridge up a bit further in this run, giving us a colder NW...

gfs-0-144.png?12

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and Cold! Winter :)

Yes, its younger brother P also very similar at the same time. Its good to see the Azores high kept further at bay tonight from GFS's :)

gfs-0-144.png?12

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter synoptics.Hot summers.

Not a bad 144z from UKMO shame the 850 chart is not available

http://www.meteociel.fr/ukmo/runs/2014121312/UN144-21.GIF?13-17

Posted

GFS P FI (360) looks good with heights pushing north and into Greenland, this is what we need to be seeing. This mornings GEFS showing more on this, 12z GEFS may follow.