Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Model Output Discussion - The Start Of Winter

Paul

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Spanish Plumes, Blizzards, Severe Frosts :-)

Hey guys the way I'm interpreting the models for the next few weeks has led me to reach this conclusion. There is no sign of mild benign conditions gaining a foothold whatsoever, we may well have a quieter interlude at the end of next week but not likely to last. I think the generally rather cold zonal pattern will persist with Atlantic depressions tracking east or southeast across the UK with mild weather at a premium. I think we will continue to have a risk of wintry precipitation, more especially across the north and in particular at elevation, also an ongoing risk of frost and ice during the many colder incursions. Uncle Barty won't be a Christmas / New year party pooper and there are signs of a colder pattern developing by the start of 2015. :>)

Edited by Frosty.
  • Like 8

Posted

The CFS is actually pretty good at picking up long term signals/trends if used correctly, Obviously looking at every run and picking out detail its useless.

is it really? i've heard this said before on here but never really given it much thought. Do the METO use it in their long range forecasts? If was that decent then surely they ought to?

Posted
  • Location: Derbyshire Peak District South Pennines Middleton & Smerrill Tops 305m (1001ft) asl.
  • Location: Derbyshire Peak District South Pennines Middleton & Smerrill Tops 305m (1001ft) asl.

is it really? i've heard this said before on here but never really given it much thought. Do the METO use it in their long range forecasts? If was that decent then surely they ought to?

I never said it was 'that decent', The Meto have much better in-house Models of there own (well ours realy) which they use for long range, As Ian expressed yesterday. 

Yes Frosty, Agree with your analysis there on the Models, Cold Zonal having/being the main driver over the UK so the theme continues as per Meto outlook - Just below average.

Edited by Polar Maritime
  • Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...

The CFS is actually pretty good at picking up long term signals/trends if used correctly, Obviously looking at every run and picking out detail its useless.

To be honest, PM, I've learned to pay it no attention at all... :D 

• Like 1

Posted

To be honest, PM, I've learned to pay it no attention at all... :D 

Me to Pete, To much like hard work  :wink:

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heat and Snow

Potential for snow to lower levels at day 7 and 8-

168-7UK.GIF?12-12174-7UK.GIF?12-12180-7UK.GIF?12-12186-7UK.GIF?12-12

One to watch out for.

Edited by Barry95
  • Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and warm in the Summer, cold and snowy in the winter, simples!

"Simple innit  :wink:"

Yes, what could possibly go wrong?  :laugh:  (Great post BTW)

GFS and GFS (p) [currently stalled 132 at time of post] improve the chances of another shot of cold air end of next week somewhat and across the output the trend has been to slow down the East West progression of the next deep depression to affect our shores from around day 4/5 through to day 7/8.

GFS op flattens out thereafter and offers monotonous fare TBH  but we have seen it overplay the AH time after time so that is open to change.

GEM keeps things a little more interesting with a more amplified FI

gemnh-0-240.png?12

Edited by Mucka
  • Like 2

Posted

On the flipside, NOAA and the NCDC do appear to have faith in it, spend time/money running and updating the model so if there was no value in it, you'd think they wouldn't bother?

Posted

Thanks Karyo, as you say though, the run to run differences are quite marked. The blue dotted ensembles run from yesterday, must have been a cracker.

The link would seem to indicate no decent -NAO until mid to late January.

The worrying trend is that the - NAO is getting pushed back all the time. It is like chasing a rainbow...

At some point, December was the start of the -NAO but now we are looking at late January!

Karyo

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm dry summers

For a time it was looking like the NAO would go negative in early January but today's update has pushed it back to the end of January now

naoindex.png

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm, bright summers and Cold, snowy winters

The worrying trend is that the - NAO is getting pushed back all the time. It is like chasing a rainbow...

At some point, December was the start of the -NAO but now we are looking at late January!

Karyo

Who said such thing?

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and warm in the Summer, cold and snowy in the winter, simples!

For a time it was looking like the NAO would go negative in early January but today's update has pushed it back to the end of January now

naoindex.png

But open to large scale changes and the NAO is a measure not a driver so it will change with any pattern change that gets modeled. Not something to get hung up on anyway.

• Like 8

Posted

Karyo

I thought not so long ago that forecast was showing a positive NAO throughout the whole of Winter?  Do correct me if I'm wrong!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Click on my name - sorry, it was too long to fit here......

Is the GFS run visible anywhere after 132h? Does someone needs to give the spanking new computer a kick or is it just Meteociel?

Posted

I thought not so long ago that forecast was showing a positive NAO throughout the whole of Winter?  Do correct me if I'm wrong!

That showed only for a day so I guess it was a glitch. In general, it was persistenly showing -NAO from mid December but then it got pushed back to early January and now later in January.

Posted

No, CFS never cited in any UKMO medium or longer-range analysis.

• Like 8

Posted

naoindex.png

the NAO even when used in conjunction with other factors is very unreliable after about 7 days, best not to use it for anything beyond 7 days or so. It is not a driver anyway as I believe someone has already stated.

• Like 9

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Seasonal

Agreed Nick. Noteworthy (as some others here have also spotted through different output) are the increasing EC and MOGREPS members offering ridged solutions towards latter stages of 10-15d trend period, which, in words of UKMO Dep. Chief, "...may be the first signs of a general change of type across northern Europe, with a slow-down in the predominantly W/WNW’ly jet – this in response to some signs from global teleconnectors of a move toward a negative NAO." There's no sign of meaningful change/cold pre-Christmas, but the period afterwards *might* offer broadscale change.

That showed only for a day so I guess it was a glitch. In general, it was persistenly showing -NAO from mid December but then it got pushed back to early January and now later in January.

As stated consistently by Ian, the above quote from the chief forecaster should be treated with caution however they are clearly seeing something we aren't. I wouldn't place too much focus on the CFS-derived outcome regarding the projected NAO.

• Like 4

Posted

There is certainly nothing I can see using whatever models cover the next 2 weeks to suggest any real change in the overall westerly pattern of weather. Possibly even a touch less cold (bit milder than the past few days) by Christmas?

Will do a summary of anomaly charts and other factors some time tomorrow along with links.

• Like 7

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...

On the flipside, NOAA and the NCDC do appear to have faith in it, spend time/money running and updating the model so if there was no value in it, you'd think they wouldn't bother?

I've no doubt that, over time, the CFS model will gain more and more credibility, as a long-range forecasting tool...No-one can expect new models to be as reliable as the older ones. I do think that the CFS is the way of the future. I'll not trust in it yet, though... :D 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Click on my name - sorry, it was too long to fit here......

GFS now rolling onwards again on Meteociel, thank you to whoever put the money in the meter.....

• Like 1

Posted

GFS now rolling onwards again on Meteociel, thank you to whoever put the money in the meter.....

Used to have a gas meter many years ago which  took 50p pieces,then they came and changed it

for a one that took £1 coins. :laugh:

I may have drifted off topic....

Is the GFS run visible anywhere after 132h? Does someone needs to give the spanking new computer a kick or is it just Meteociel?

Someone must have heard you and given it a kick as its out to 180 hrs now. :)

Edited by Cloud 10
  • Like 1

Posted

Karyo

6 1/2  weeks , I doubt that

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heat and Snow

Thats the GFS P, GFS has been out ages.