Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Model Output Discussion - The Start Of Winter

Paul

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: The Actual Weather ..... not fantasy.

No let up in the cold zonality for the next 10 days

eh?.... sorry but that is simply not true!

post-2797-0-28902400-1418118161_thumb.gi

post-2797-0-22097600-1418118183_thumb.gi

post-2797-0-05515200-1418118196_thumb.gi

yes ive cherry picked the mildest charts , but it proves the point.... some mild, some colder, average id have thought!

That at far reaches of model runs, it may be a while before they show clear signs of synthesising change via drivers such as stratospheric warming. The tail-end of 00z EC EPS clusters, for example of inter-run oscillations, return to status-quo with no hint of possible NW heights as signalled in yesterday's 12z. Thus, it now aligns with latest EC32.

with respect, the question was 'in basic terms what does that mean' , i have no idea what you mean here and i have some rudementary knowlege of weather jargon. there are i believe alot of people with little or no knowlege of weather terms. can you tell us in very basic terms what is possibly going to happen and where on the models to watch for these signes please.

Edited by mushymanrob
  • Like 5

Posted

http://www.meteociel.fr/modeles/gfse_cartes.php?ech=6&code=0&mode=2

06Z GFS T+78 and T+84 shows a period of snow across the extreme south as a shallow low travels along the English channel.

Edited by 492
  • Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: The Actual Weather ..... not fantasy.

My interpretation in simpler terms:

It will take a while for the models to exhibit the effects of any stratospheric warming. The end of the ECM ensembles show little sign of height rises to the NW and is now singing from the same hymn sheet as the ECM monthly.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: Cold & Snowy, Summer: Just not hot

http://www.meteociel.fr/modeles/gfse_cartes.php?ech=6&code=0&mode=2

06Z GFS T+78 and T+84 shows a period of snow across the extreme south as a shallow low travels along the English channel.

The ECM has the cold air not digging in until it's cleared the southeast. Air temps will be around 6-7c by the time it clears so I'd say wintry stuff is unlikely.

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Spanish Plumes, Blizzards, Severe Frosts :-)

Cold zonal is the main driver but with little mild blips sprinkled in as warm front sectors dive southeast but cold polar Maritimes bordering arctic at times with a generally northwest to southeast aligned jet profile..compared to some of the mushy mild winters of years gone by, this winter has got off to a better start, at least for northern UK

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cool and Stormy

ECM has temps of around 7C in the south, so I doubt there will be any snow on the south coast. I suspect detail will firm up on the 12Z.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything

Last two runs of the CFS MJO suggests that the signal is trending to the "circle of death"?

post-14819-0-51200100-1418122317_thumb.p  latest: post-14819-0-21925500-1418122334_thumb.p

The composite for phase 5: post-14819-0-91198600-1418122463_thumb.g

So that very much marries with the extended outlook from the GEFS and EC32. The 06z op is consistent as it has been for days. No sign of blocking, a mainly westerly flow with some PM and some TM air. For the south average to above, the north average to below. D16 and no sign of a change:

post-14819-0-74727900-1418122623_thumb.p

The first week of December temp anomaly suggests average temps for most: post-14819-0-81691000-1418122669_thumb.p

So not mild but not cold either. The northerly for later this week is fleeting and it remains a westerly (>NW'ly) for south of Birmingham. This ties in with ECM snow on the ground: 

MarkVogan
Low crossing Scotland Thu could deliver 1-2" of snow even to low levels Thu. ECM 'snow on the ground; forecast @ 96h http://t.co/jkfHIOPrBg
09/12/2014 10:52

Still warming at the top of the strat and at 30mb it's continuing:

post-14819-0-10569000-1418122995_thumb.g

Edited by i'm dreaming of...
  • Like 5

Posted

Cold zonal is the main driver but with little mild blips sprinkled in as warm front sectors dive southeast but cold polar Maritimes bordering arctic at times with a generally northwest to southeast aligned jet profile..compared to some of the mushy mild winters of years gone by, this winter has got off to a better start, at least for northern UK

Standard Winter weather IMO, for the UK - yes, even in December. The North often sees pre-Xmas snow - esp over the mountains and hills.

It may be better compared to some winters, but i think it really represents more of the 'norm' for December. If not the 'norm' certainly nothing unusual.

• Like 8

Posted

In between the events of this week and the end of the month ... I sense a possible northerly for next week. GFS / GFS(P) / ECM at T192 are consistent in placing the surface low in the North Sea off the coast of Norway. Now this set-up is just begging a late-developing low to shoot across the North Atlantic and join this North Sea low on its southern flank, which would lead to a pull of colder northerlies over us once again as it clears. With heights low over Europe at this timeframe, there would be nothing to stop this secondary low on its journey SE-wards. This is not showing on the models but is the kind of thing that often appears at around T144, isn't it?? A possibility, anyway.

gfsnh-0-192.png?6

gfsnh-0-192.png?0

ECH1-192.GIF?09-12

Posted

To enforce the reality of no longer term cold spell the NAO forecasts remains positive throughout across all members. Any short potent Notherly/North Westerly will be determined upon how far North and West the Azores ridge can get.

http://www.cpc.ncep.noaa.gov/products/precip/CWlink/pna/new.nao_index_ensm.html

I would say the chances of white Christmas in the South are pretty remote with Northern and Western areas best in with a shout based on the latest output and potential of brief topplers.

Looking further ahead with the likely SSW towards the start of January, the downwelling can take a couple of weeks or more and then a further lag before it can impact our wee islands. So perhaps a lengthy cold spell might occur from mid January onwards.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm dry summers

What time does GFS P update for the 06z? meteociel is still stuck on the 00z run

ps the version on netweather is stuck on yesterdays 12z

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and cold

To enforce the reality of no longer term cold spell the NAO forecasts remains positive throughout across all members. Any short potent Notherly/North Westerly will be determined upon how far North and West the Azores ridge can get.

http://www.cpc.ncep.noaa.gov/products/precip/CWlink/pna/new.nao_index_ensm.html

I would say the chances of white Christmas in the South are pretty remote with Northern and Western areas best in with a shout based on the latest output and potential of brief topplers.

Looking further ahead with the likely SSW towards the start of January, the downwelling can take a couple of weeks or more and then a further lag before it can impact our wee islands. So perhaps a lengthy cold spell might occur from mid January onwards.

Still too early to be predicting xmas weather with so much happening in the nearby timescales. We could all easily be in a potent N' / NW' blast as shown in the GFS 0Z output.

Posted

Still too early to be predicting xmas weather with so much happening in the nearby timescales. We could all easily be in a potent N' / NW' blast as shown in the GFS 0Z output.

Well, it is certainly to early to call it accurately, but based on the current tropospheric signals as John alludes to above, there is nothing to support low level Southern snowfall for Xmas, but of course things can change.

What time does GFS P update for the 06z? meteociel is still stuck on the 00z run

ps the version on netweather is stuck on yesterdays 12z

I think there is still some maintenance, there is no data at all, even not data from parallel GDAS 06z.

It is probably linked to this :

"Tuesday 12/9 :  NCO will run a single-cycle parallel production test on

Gyre to test functionality post-Phase 2 integration.  No developer

access to the system during the test."

Posted

IDO, if the MJO does enter the 'COD', then I don't expect the composites will be relevant. Other drivers wil take precedence.

Ed, I did note on Sunday that there were the first sniffs of the Russian high pushing west and perhaps cutting off the trough to our se but tbh, there has been little momentum in that regard since then.

• Like 2

Posted

Well the plot thickens, both the GFS 06hrs and NAVGEM 06hrs runs trend towards the GEM 00hrs which to be honest I thought had gone AWOL once again.

Whether this trend lasts more than 6 hours we'll see tonight but certainly although not offering anything very cold at least they look more likely to keep temps on the cold side.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heat and Snow

The Stratospheric warming continues on the GFS 12z, and is now starting at day 13.

post-17488-0-37558100-1418129701_thumb.p

post-17488-0-74000200-1418129717_thumb.p

The Christmas period continues to show interest.

• Like 6

Posted

The NAO is only the representation of the pressure patterns in the ens.

If the ensembles are wrong then so is the NAO forecast. Xmas is over two weeks away. - impossible to make predictions yet - could be be steamy, could be frigid but likely something inbetween.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything

Massive 'broad brush' comments for Christmas 16 days away, not to mention what will happen in mid Jan. Wow. Do you have access to the METO's new super computer?!  :rofl:

Hi. Statistically according to the UKMO there is about an 8% chance of snow being on the ground on Christmas Day. That is for 40% of weather stations so about 3% chance for any one location and probably less than that for the south. So a reasonable statement and bearing in mind all LR Forecasts are painting the same picture where the south has little chance of snow for the foreseeable then no super computer is really needed. However its not like last year, so of course the models could easily flip in the next 2-3 weeks, but at this moment in time the models are poor for snow in the south (different story of course for up north and on mountains).

ECM Jan temp anomaly highlights this: 

WSI_EuroEnergy

Latest ECMWF January seasonal forecast colder Scandinavia, above normal mainland Europe, nearer normal UK. http://t.co/wdqYoetpJq

09/12/2014 13:55

Interesting tweet showing how important the SSW will be to our whole winter (if cold is what you are after):

chionomaniac

@antmasiello @scotlandwx Look how important SSW could be for rest of winter http://t.co/joGJhRM0F5 http://t.co/qJFvmsIP8u

09/12/2014 11:12

(UKMO data source: http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/learning/snow/white-christmas)

Edited by i'm dreaming of...

Posted

Now I am working quite a bit with GEFS for the strat., but I work with the bias corrected version of the GEFS, while meteociel and wetterzentrale I think use the normal one. So,.. if anyone is interested what kind of a difference that makes, here is a comparison of the 6z GEFS, the bias corrected vs the normal one. I usually always prefer the BC one, because it removes some of the known bias or a false tendency of the GEFS, compared to the normal one. Differences are not that big, but are meaningful.

This basically shows where the BC version of the GEFS is higer/lower in heights, and where the BC version is warmer/colder than the normal one. 

geopotentialheightisobar.png rre.png

Cheers

• Like 9