Sign in to follow this  
Weather-history

Black Friday

For me, it's another American gimmick that has sadly infiltrated this country.

Causes chaos, websites crash and unfortunately fights, staff abused.

I feel sorry for store staff on days like this.

Ridiculous!

• Like 3

Sales like this should be outlawed. Won't be long before someone is killed.

• Like 4

This is one American idea I do not want to see in this country.

Sad fact is that some people are just not capable acting in an orderly fashion. It has caused chaos and the stores have fed this frenzy.

It's like a stampede

• Like 1

Makes me laugh they are mostly pushing and shoving over crappy TV's LOL, not even high end stuff. It's got to be a sad life you are living when all you have to do with your life is rush down to the supermarket and fight over a TV lol.

Edited by No Balls Like Snow Balls
  • Like 1

Sales like this should be outlawed. Won't be long before someone is killed.

Did you know there have been 7 deaths since 2006! Those are only people that died at the scene, many more died later in hospital!

It completely defeats the point of Thanksgiving, being grateful for what you have and then the next day going on a greed sopping spree.

I must say I did give a serious side eye to a family that came in today who because they claim benefits are able to claim their expenses back off the NHS (fair enough), they had just bought a TV, 2 IPad Airs and some trainers in the BF sales. And yet the £5 bus fair was unaffordable apparently.....

10548180_713553035421275_785082883141199

We have become the brain dead zombies from the 1978 movie Dawn Of The Dead, which was a satire about consumerism! But instead of lusting after human flesh, we are fighting over crap we really could do just fine without!

Makes me laugh they are mostly pushing and shoving over crappy TV's LOL, not even high end stuff. It's got to be a sad life you are living when all you have to do with your life is rush down to the supermarket and fight of a TV lol.

Not even curved screen ones lol!

• Like 2

I have no problem with it, if people want a bargain, then that's up to them! This stuff goes on in new year sales, even when an iPhone is being released- old news.

I'm looking forward to Cyber Monday!

Edited by Mapantz
  • Like 1

I have no problem with it, if people want a bargain, then that's up to them! This stuff goes on in new year sales, even when an iPhone is being released- old news.

It's not fair on the staff though, and the police could be doing better things than break up some sad twits fighting over a discounted toaster.

Members of staff in the US have been killed by the stampedes of morons.

• Like 3

It's not fair on the staff though, and the police could be doing better things than break up some sad twits fighting over a discounted toaster.

Members of staff in the US have been killed by the stampedes of morons.

It's the stores that are at fault, not the shoppers. The stores practically dangle a carrot on a stick, it's not surprising that it turns to chaos.

• Like 2

It's good for retail, good for consumers and is good for staff who's company may boost profits.

The savvy consumer will also realise that some so-called BF bargains are more expensive than they were a few weeks ago in previous promotions, esp on electrical items

Edited by Bristle boy

People really do show their true colours with things like this don't they. No common decency or respect for anyone else; just 'me me me' mentality, and all to save a few quid. Personally I wouldn't ever dream of behaving like that- reprobates the lot of them. I actually feel saddened we live amongst morons like this, is there any morals anymore?

How long before someone dies for the sake of someone having to have a piece of plastic discounted crap??

Edited by CreweCold
  • Like 4

We have become the brain dead zombies from the 1978 movie Dawn Of The Dead, which was a satire about consumerism! But instead of lusting after human flesh, we are fighting over crap we really could do just fine without!

Not even curved screen ones lol!

I sent my son to get mine last week !!!!
  • Like 1

The retail co.s are just being commercial and tapping into

- The UK consumer 'herd'

- It's payday (week) for those of us on monthly salaries

- Many consumers cannot resist a good spend on payday

The fact that human behaviour says we buy a 'bargain' when we dont really need it or sometimes dont really want it, but we just cant resist.

Behaviourial economics at its 'best'.

- The UK consumer 'herd'

The fact that human behaviour says we buy a 'bargain' when we dont really need it or sometimes dont really want it, but we just cant resist.

Right ok, but that doesn't excuse consumers for behaving like animals

It's good for retail, good for consumers and is good for staff who's company may boost profits.

The savvy consumer will also realise that some so-called BF bargains are more expensive than they were a few weeks ago in previous promotions, esp on electrical items

To me, it puts retail in a bad light. How can they afford to flog this stuff so cheap? Just how many of those visiting these stores in the stampede rushes bought something that wasn't on the sale? That's one of the tricks of a sale, have a honeypot that attracts customers and have them buy something that is not on the sale.

Good for consumers? Only if you bought something. Is it good for others who are trying to get on websites but unable to because of this? Isn't it actually a restriction, a lot of people will be put off from this?

Good for staff? Abuse, danger from attack from irate customers, trying to control a stampede?

Edited by Weather-history

I must say I did give a serious side eye to a family that came in today who because they claim benefits are able to claim their expenses back off the NHS (fair enough), they had just bought a TV, 2 IPad Airs and some trainers in the BF sales. And yet the £5 bus fair was unaffordable apparently.....

Exactly, I'm in no doubt some of the people out today would have been better served looking for a job rather than trying to stampede towards a half price TV. But que sera.

Great seeing greed in action, glad I am watching greedy people after a bargain being very rood to each other. LOL I have needed a television that much that I have trampled women and children for it the bargain ....NOT

People who profit most are the ones who study people, greed is easy to profit from.  

• Like 4

Great seeing greed in action, glad I am watching greedy people after a bargain being very rood to each other. LOL I have needed a television that much that I have trampled women and children for it the bargain ....NOT

People who profit most are the ones who study people, greed is easy to profit from.  

Totally agree.

From a sociological perspective it's a sad day IMO.

Edited by CreweCold
  • Like 2

You aren't wrong in your last sentence. I went to uni with someone who does just that for a number of companies and to say he is very well paid is an understatement!

- The UK consumer 'herd'

I'm really pleased to say I had no real idea what Black Friday was.

Yesterday guy at work brought it up and had to explain it to me. I thought it was some sort of American thing.

---

On the subject of TV's. We got a decent sized flatscreen in 2006 as a wedding gift. I see no need to replace it.

Edited by scottish skier