Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

France weather

Eightwinds

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm and sunny with night time t-storms

27-28C in Basque France, c'est vraiment incroyable pour la saison, même ici dans Les Pays Basque!

C'est la même chose en Limousin, 26c hier! Un peu plus frais et plus nuageux aujourd'hui, mais encore 19c! Brouillard ce soir.

• 2 weeks later...
Posted
  • Weather Preferences: An Alpine climate - snowy winters and sunny summers

After record breaking mild so far this November, France is set for a big drop in temps this weekend. This from Meteo-France:

Arrival of cold after an unusually mild period
11/20/2015

While maximum temperatures will likely drop by more than 10 ° C between Friday 20 and Saturday 21 at the passage of a very active front, the first 20 days of November saw unprecedented mild, since the early measures - close to 4 ° C above normal. If many records were broken, sometimes very significantly (especially during the weekend of 7 and 8), the mild was also exceptional in its duration.

A record number of often mild days

Maximum temperatures regularly reached levels worthy of a late September or early October, the minimum sometimes full summer levels. In Bordeaux and Toulouse, there have already been eight days since the beginning of the month during which the temperature reached 20 ° C (previous records: 6 and 5 times respectively the full month). In Nîmes, 20 ° C were achieved 15 times (previous record: 9 times). He made more than 15 ° C 12 times in Strasbourg (old record: 9 times), 14 in Paris (old record: 12 times) and 11 in Lille (old record: 9 times).

Sudden cooling this weekend

The cold front brings rains sustained over many areas Friday 20 is followed by a maritime polar air mass, cold and wet, that will bring significant amounts of snow on all massifs. Temperatures will drop significantly between Friday and Saturday, and this decline will be dramatic in the Southwest Auvergne. In areas near the Pyrenees, who received a veiled sun and a gentle yet time Friday, we will lose more than 10 ° C in 24 hours: 13 ° C (21 ° C to 8 ° C) Toulouse and 12 ° C (24 ° C to 12 ° C) to Perpignan.

http://www.meteofrance.fr/actualites/30858898-arrivee-du-froid-apres-une-periode-exceptionnellement-douce

• Like 1

Posted

Lol, sudden cooling is an understatement, I was concreteing in my  t-shirt this morning with a lovely strong sun, then the wind shifted direction, and goodness me, I had to give up I was so cold, even with 3 extra layers on.  What the folks further inland had I can only imagine, but being used to between 15 and 20, when it dropped to 9 degrees with that cold wind it was definitely time to give up.

FC (shivering infront of the fire)

• 3 weeks later...
Posted

Went to the Limoges Christmas market today after work. Beautiful. Local crafts and gifts for a change! Also a snowy scene - perhaps the only one before Christmas:

566b0c1f668d0_Snowisfalling....thumb.jpg

Posted

I was out cutting the grass today, and I got a bit sun burnt, this weather is very strange indeed.  This coming week the south of France are expecting temps of around 20 degrees especially on Wednesday 16th.

FC

Posted

Just walked down to the Post Office after finishing some work. It's so warm out there it's bizarre. Time for a bit of garden tidying!

Posted
On 14/12/2015 at 2:01 PM, Spikecollie said:

Just walked down to the Post Office after finishing some work. It's so warm out there it's bizarre. Time for a bit of garden tidying!

yep very bizzarre, we have just had another weekend of sitting out on the terrace with a glass of wine whilst the sun shines, having cut the grass again!  I think I could be mowing the grass on Christmas day by the looks of things.

On the one hand I would say don't knock it, it is one of the reasons we moved to France, but this weather is playing havoc with the crops, and all the farmers around us are worried that mother nature may pay us back early next year.

Seasons greetings to one and all,

FC

Posted

We were able to have our apero's outside yesterday, the official temparature was 16 degrees, but our sheltered garden hit 21 degrees at one point.  The bizarre weather continues, I am beginning to wonder if we are just going to skip winter this year...

Cheers

FC

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
Posted

Incroyable weather here. It has rained and rained and rained. Today the howling gusts had us awake at 0430 along with mad rain. Real excitement followed as we had a first thunderstorm over the hills which was nice to listen too, but the next one sounded very different. Continuous thunder, then very loud thunder, then a blinding flash and deafening explosion outside my front door. A direct strike on our phone lines which killed my house phone and tripped the electricity. I ran around the house pulling plugs and switching off lights but should have gone downstairs and shut the lot off. Storms are great to watch but not so good when they come that close!

Posted
  • Location: Mostly Watford but 3 months of the year at Capestang 34310, France
  • Weather Preferences: Continental type climate with lots of sunshine with occasional storm

There have been warnings of snow, ice and thunder in the recent publication of le Midi Libre - also there are some recent photos of snowfall within the region, admittedly some are at higher altitudes but I dare say they will make some a little envious:cold::):yahoo:

http://www.midilibre.fr/2016/01/18/neige-dans-l-aude-et-l-herault-les-premieres-images,1272030.php

Edited by mike Meehan

Posted
On 1/18/2016 at 6:17 PM, mike Meehan said:

There have been warnings of snow, ice and thunder in the recent publication of le Midi Libre - also there are some recent photos of snowfall within the region, admittedly some are at higher altitudes but I dare say they will make some a little envious:cold::):yahoo:

http://www.midilibre.fr/2016/01/18/neige-dans-l-aude-et-l-herault-les-premieres-images,1272030.php

I'm in Dijon working for this week and I walked to work in falling snow this morning. and through the little covering that was left from last night. Only a few cms. Milding up now with the obligatory transitional drizzle and fog. I'm just looking forward to the Limousin spring now - I might even get out for a cycle ride on Sunday back home there with 15c forecast!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Continental type climate with lots of sunshine with occasional storm
3 hours ago, Spikecollie said:

I'm in Dijon working for this week and I walked to work in falling snow this morning. and through the little covering that was left from last night. Only a few cms. Milding up now with the obligatory transitional drizzle and fog. I'm just looking forward to the Limousin spring now - I might even get out for a cycle ride on Sunday back home there with 15c forecast!

Yes, the temps are warming up here for the weekend, up to double figures - wondering if I will be able to go gliding on Sunday but suspect there may be some low cloud which may put the mockers on that.

• Like 1

Posted

A completely superb day here in Limousin today, up to 17c with a few little Cumulus - like a real springday.

• 3 weeks later...
Posted

5 days in a row of strong winds and rain, and finally this morning the wind has died down to nothing.  Saw the Saper Pompiers out and about in convoys with thier pumping equipment yesterday, water levels everywhere in France appear to be high at the moment.  We live at the top of a gradient, but the folks down at the bottom are watching the Charente and its tributaries very carefully as the are pretty close to flooding now.

Hopefully we will be back to posting about the amazing sunshine soon, but not this week I fear.

FC

Edited by frozencanals

• 2 weeks later...
Posted
  • Weather Preferences: An Alpine climate - snowy winters and sunny summers

Report from Meteo-France - it's going to be the warmest winter in France since 1900.

Winter 2015-2016: the warmest since 1900 in France

Provisional results of winter at February 19, 2016
During this winter, much of Europe remained under the influence of a southwest flow and strong anticyclone positioned to the south of the continent. This dominant ocean circulation promoted very mild temperatures for the season. During these three months, France has not experienced real cold nor real winter conditions.

Taking all of the season, the temperature averaged over France looks like exceeding the normal by almost +2.5 ° C, placing this winter 2016 at the forefront of the warmest winters on the period from 1900 to 2016, far ahead of the winter 1989-1990 (+2 ° C) and winters 2006-2007 and 2013-2014 tied (+ 1.8 ° C).

December 2015 was the hottest in France since 1900 with average values 3.9 ° C above normal.

Report with graphs and charts: http://www.meteofrance.fr/actualites/33890918-hiver-2015-2016-le-plus-chaud-depuis-1900-en-france

Posted

http://www.midilibre.fr/2016/02/27/alerte-meteo-le-gard-et-l-herault-places-en-vigilance-orange-pluie-inondation,1292330.php#xtor=EPR-2-[Newsletter]-20160227-[Zone_info]

It looks like some pretty interesting weather coming up in Gard and Herault with up 150 mms of rain and at higher levels above 800 to 1000 metres, 80cm of snow.

I reckon they will close the A75 with that.

• 2 weeks later...
Posted

Up to Christmas winter failed to make a real appearance in the Charente, and since Christmas we have had nothing but rain but still no real winter, our one threat of snow was withdrawn 2 days before it was due and arrived as more heavy rain.  We are still, like many areas of  France still on a yellow warning for 'inundation', i.e. flooding and although we are on top of an incline we are still waiting for the water to clear from our drive, however it does look like spring is about to put in an appearance.

FC

Posted

Spring is definitely springing here in Limousin! The sunshine feels warm and I'll be out on my bike and gardening tomorrow - but you still need insulation against the wind. We're progged 20c by next weekend - whoopee!

• 3 weeks later...
Posted

It got up to 20c here in Haute Vienne yesterday, a beautiful balmy evening too. This was followed at about 2300 by stunning distant lightning all around. Much cooler today, around 12c with storm clouds threatening.

Posted
23 hours ago, Spikecollie said:

It got up to 20c here in Haute Vienne yesterday, a beautiful balmy evening too. This was followed at about 2300 by stunning distant lightning all around. Much cooler today, around 12c with storm clouds threatening.

Yes indeed - reached 21C in Charente near Ruffec - a few lizards thought it was warm enough to come out. We only had the storm about 04.00 Thursday for about two hours - just on the edge of it but a proper MCS. Awful drive back up through France yesterday in torrential rain associated with decaying storms and the occluded front.

Posted
22 hours ago, chapmanslade said:

Yes indeed - reached 21C in Charente near Ruffec - a few lizards thought it was warm enough to come out. We only had the storm about 04.00 Thursday for about two hours - just on the edge of it but a proper MCS. Awful drive back up through France yesterday in torrential rain associated with decaying storms and the occluded front.

`I wouldn't envy anyone who had to drive on Thursday, it was awful with continuous heavy rain. Cold too. Then you get those glorious warm days and balmy evening like Wednesday. Tomorrow (Sunday) looks like a repeat of Wednesday, up to 20c followed by evening storms. Our lizards came out for a scoot around on Wednesday too! I'm going to grab a cycle ride and a lawn mow tomorrow!

Posted
7 hours ago, Spikecollie said:

`I wouldn't envy anyone who had to drive on Thursday, it was awful with continuous heavy rain. Cold too. Then you get those glorious warm days and balmy evening like Wednesday. Tomorrow (Sunday) looks like a repeat of Wednesday, up to 20c followed by evening storms. Our lizards came out for a scoot around on Wednesday too! I'm going to grab a cycle ride and a lawn mow tomorrow!

Yes it was wet and only 4C driving from Ruffec to Tours before warming up on the coast, almost 20C colder than the day before

Posted
1 hour ago, chapmanslade said:

Yes it was wet and only 4C driving from Ruffec to Tours before warming up on the coast, almost 20C colder than the day before

Looking at the Météo France forecast for tomorrow it's going to get nice and warm, up to 20c, but they're forecasting storms from late afternoon onward. They're using the two lightning strike symbol for here in Limousin, something you don't see that often, so it could get quite exciting. Spring is here!!!

• 2 weeks later...
Posted

Some good summary and pictures from the last few days.

http://www.meteo-paris.com/actualites/de-frequents-orages-du-10-au-13-avril-mais-des-degats-limites-13-avril-2016.html

Yesterday was particularly spectacular for storms here. I had thunder almost all day and some amazing CGs and ICs.