Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

France weather

Eightwinds

Posted

Morning all,

Some intense stormy weather around the Charente over the last couple of days, continous thunder and lightening for 2 hours at a time.  So far in our area we have not had the intense winds and destructive hailstones that many other areas have had a bit further south.

I am hoping it will all calm down shortly, it is playing havoc with my work program

Cheers

FC

Edited by frozencanals

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot Sun, Deep Snow, Convective Goodness, Anvil Crawlers

We're currently under an orange warning for violent thunderstorms here in Biscarosse. I'm expecting initiation in the next couple of hours or so, we're going to go and sit and watch it kick off from the lake.

Had some really remarkable mammatus the day we arrived and an all night strobing MCS which was spectacular.

I guess the downside is that we are camping and obviously my love of storms tends to make life under canvas a bit tricky! Fortunately the wine is cheap and plentiful

FAAA8AEB-0611-47DC-BA4F-9ABE2419E87F.jpeg

• Like 1

Posted

Hmmm... Well that escalated quickly 

1736E92A-36FD-45FC-928D-6086ED3B960D.jpeg

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm and sunny with night time t-storms

We've just had a cracker with marble sized hail, incredibly gusty winds and some great CG strikes. Sunday night was amazing too, constant flickering lightning from the storms in Charente.

Say safe out there, Our next batch is on approach!

Posted

Yeah we've lost power... Just a little respite and the radar is showing another pulse incoming. Stay safe too!

• 4 weeks later...
Posted
  • Location: Mostly Watford but 3 months of the year at Capestang 34310, France
  • Weather Preferences: Continental type climate with lots of sunshine with occasional storm

Have been down here since 02.07.2018 with temps mostly in the low 30's C and we have had a couple of wet interludes in the form of storms but not amounting to too much in precipitation which has been mostly at night - the kind of weather I dreamed about having as a youngster - warm sunny days with the rain falling at night. However, in the last few days it has warmed up a bit more up to the 36C mark - we are obliged to turn on the air con - the problem we have with that is that the temp sensor is in the vicinity of the outlet to the air con which pushes out warm air, so the figures won't be totally accurate.

Earlier in the week there was a large variation between Capestang and our nearest beach, Valras Plage - 34C and 25C, the latter having sea mist.

Yesterday we went down to La Jonquera just over the border in Spain - here Accuweather spoke with forked tongue - although they gave out a max of 36C at Capestang, they forecast a cool 33C for La Jonqurera. We left latish morning  with a temp of 34C and by lunchtime at La Jonquera it was 36C there. We left there in the late afternoon 1700 hours and at the frontier the car thermometer registered 38C and back at Capestang an hour later it was 34C.

I note that 38C is forecast for most of next week.

France recalling the 2003 summer which resulted in a number of deaths is getting prepared more:

http://www.france24.com/en/20120817-france-weather-government-ministry-health-braces-heat-wave-canicule-prevention-measures/

Edited by mike Meehan

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Continental type climate with lots of sunshine with occasional storm

Final figures not in but it is reported that this July has been the third hottest in France since 1900, being surpassed by 1983 and 2006:

http://www.languedocliving.com/third-hottest-july-in-france-since-1900-news-10113.html

Temperatures forecast to reach 40C this week in our area.

• 2 months later...
Posted

What a stunning September we’ve had here.

The best thing about sunny weather at this time of the year is you still get some hot days but night times are much more comfortable .

• 4 weeks later...
Posted

Very interesting weather over France and western Europe today which will impact on the UK tomorrow and Wednesday.

http://vigilance.meteofrance.com/Bulletin.html?a=dept2B&b

Red warnings over Corsica for a storm called "Adrian" which has developed to the east of Sardinia as part of the "Genoa Low" we often get when an HP builds over Scandinavia and we get a NE or E'ly flow over the southern British Isles.

This segment of the LP is going to move north over Corsica and transit up eastern France, through Belgium and continue moving north through the North Sea to the east of the British Isles. It's not going to deepen much further (around 984MB) but it will lead to very strong winds and thunderstorms over Corsica and the south of France (hence the warning). For the UK it will probably only mean a spell of rain for eastern coastal counties tomorrow.

Posted
2 hours ago, Summer Sun said:

I missed that, went through that region on Saturday, travelling over the Massif to Clermont Ferrand. A journey we have made quite often over the last few years, with the weather ranging from thick fog - warmth, mid 20's in mid November, and snow a couple of times above 900 metres 

• 3 weeks later...
Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Any extreme weather conditions

Thick fog here in France, driving up from Nantes to Calais, it's just not lifting

• 2 weeks later...
Posted

Quite a lot of rain since my last post but it's been very mild at times. Snowline down to around 2000m but anything below that has been stripped bare by the wind and rain.

• 5 weeks later...
Posted

Morning all, and Happy New Year...

What a dull and dreary, and extremely wet month December was down here in SW France. Finally since Christmas it has stopped raining for a few days as the high pressure over western Europe has established it self and it is starting to cool down.  It has meant that we have had a few glimpses of the sun in recent days, and I have noticed there is a touch of frost on my car this morning.

All in all 2018 was a fantastic year for good weather in this region, which the vine owners are really happy about following 3 poor years (for Cognac at least - which is local to me)

Cheers all, from the Charente

FC

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...
Posted

Summer keeps trying to install here with odd nice days but then it keeps degenerating into thundery showers followed by crud. The number of June mornings I've driven into work in fog and mist and drizzle...

Tempete Miguel was a fairly standard windy and rainy affair here in Haute Vienne, well away from the coast, but in between time it has just been thundery showers followed by heavy rain. No thunderstorms of note, just a few rumbles. Some nights we've had the woodburner and electric blanket in action and Monday night it went down to near 0c!

This evennig is glorious after a lovely day albeit with a dodgy, showery start and it looks like things are on the up from the weekend onward.

Having had a slight moan, the gardens have flourished with the weather provided the gardener keeps a wary eye for slugs and snails and encourages the hedgehogs! My lettuces have been divine and the first courgette flowers are blooming. Potatoes and cabbages are doing well too.

I've been running and cycling despite the weather, Mylo my Border Collie doesn't complain on a run come rain or shine and neither do I, but a cycle to work yesterday morning was a big mistake - lakes in shoes and a take up of an offer of a lift back home at lunchtime with bike in back of car!

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot summers, snowy winters and thunderstorms!

I remember being on the continent back in 2003 in the European heatwave and that was horrendous and not quite as hot as it is now, so god knows how the French are feeling now.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and plenty of it.

I’m staying near Avignon and it’s around 45c which is the hottest I’ve ever been in. You could get a sun tan from the hot air by standing in the breeze. Sightseeing confined to small amounts of time outside and drinking loads of water. Not particularly pleasant to be honest.

Posted
11 hours ago, Lauren said:

I remember being on the continent back in 2003 in the European heatwave and that was horrendous and not quite as hot as it is now, so god knows how the French are feeling now.

Hot, Lauren! The problem is that the night time temperatures are not going below about 25c. It was 33c inside yesterday evening and our stone house holds the heat like a storage heater. You just drip and drink water all day at work and play - I tried a run yesterday evening at about 20h00 but decided to stick to cycling and playing in the water with Mylo...