Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

France weather

Eightwinds

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: An Alpine climate - snowy winters and sunny summers

Cold week coming up for France. I've already posted in the Alps thread that Alpine resorts could see up to a metre of snow starting this weekend.

This from a Meteo France report today:

A cold and disturbed episode is expected by the beginning of next week, with snow at very low altitude and temperatures 4-8 degrees below normal over much of France, rather worthy of a month of January.

France Temp Anomaly 04 Nov 2016.png

Chart: Deviation from normal daily maximum temperature for November 4, 1980 (reference period 1981-2010)

The full report (in French) talks about other noteable Novembers in France including 1980, 1966 and 1919.

http://www.meteofrance.fr/actualites/42374384-froid-debut-novembre-les-precedents

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: 22-38C in summer with storms, cold in winter with some snow/or 15-25C

Posted
On ‎07‎/‎11‎/‎2016 at 15:12, 95 Degrees said:

yes, I saw that on the news, it was a bit of a surprise, and caused 544KM of traffic jams too....

The mild weather broke suddenly on Sunday morning at around 10am, it was strange, a very noticeable and sudden temperature drop, I was working outside in just a shirt then suddenly I needed to get my body warmer.  I have not really experienced such a sudden temperature drop before.

Cheers

FC

Edited by frozencanals

Posted

Milder weather has returned to SW France, getting off the plane on Friday in Bordeaux I really felt the difference with the UK, the house is now too warm as we had the heating on after the mild weather broke around the 7th, but can't open the windows because of all the flies that suddenly appeared to bask in the sun...

it has been a very warm Autumn this year.

FC

• 1 month later...
Posted

wow it has turned chilly here in SW Fance over the last couple of days, we even had an amber warning for freezing fog and some snow, however neither the freezing fog or snow made an appearance where I am, but it is still pretty cold.  The French Meteo keep toying with the idea of periods of snow showers over the coming week for the whole of France, but I don't thinkit will happen.  I am sure in Eastern and Central France it will be cold enough for snow, but here in the west we will still be protected by the gulf stream for a few more weeks.

Cheers

FC

Edited by frozencanals

• 5 weeks later...
Posted

Morning all,

Well January was a really cold, sunny and dry month in our part of France, and in other areas of the Hexagon records for cold tumbled.  As we enter February the cold is being pushed away and, in our area of SW France temps are climbing quite rapidly again as the cold is pushed back eastwards out of France.

Cheers

FC

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm and sunny with night time t-storms

Gust to 110km/h being forecast by Météo France for my area on Saturday.

Posted

Horrible forecast!

http://www.meteofrance.com/accueil

How long without power this time?

From Friday to Sunday, three active depressions will follow one another in France. They will be associated with violent gusts of wind and will maintain a strongly agitated and dangerous sea on the Atlantic coast. From this evening, very strong waves are expected on the Finistère which is placed in vigilance orange waves-submersion.

To monitor the situation, consult our forecasts and the vigilance map.

Friday 3 February, violent winds are expected to affect western France in the passage of a very hollow depression. At the end of the morning, gusts could reach 120-130 km / h on a coastal strip of southern Brittany in Pays de la Loire. They will quickly reach the northern coasts of Brittany and the Cotentin. Inland, gusts of the order of 100-110 km / h are expected from Brittany in the Pays de la Loire and up to Normandy. The sea will be strong and dangerous on the entire Atlantic coast.

Potentially very violent winds Saturday

In this well-established perturbed context, a new storm is expected to hit France on Saturday (February 4th). At this stage, the scenario envisaged is a trajectory running from the Charentes and Vendée coasts to the North-East through the Massif Central. As of the second part of the night from Friday to Saturday, the gusts could be locally very violent, sometimes reaching 150 km / h on the Charente and Vendée coast, 130 km / h along the Aquitaine coast. Inland, the wind will also blow very strong, up to 120 km / h on the Charentes and the Massif Central. The sea will remain dangerous on the coastline, particularly from the Vendée to the Spanish border where the risk of waves submersion will be high.

Another Depression on Sunday

On Sunday, a new depression could affect the country with strong winds on the coast and inland. However, its trajectory and intensity remain to be specified. The southern regions may also be affected by these strong winds.

Update with the 12Z models.

Nasty squall line modelled before the wind comes in with full force.

aromehd-29-40-3_ylw5.png   arpege-11-44-3_wlm8.png

Strongest winds reaching your area Spike.

1350_zlu7.png

Edited by Nouska
  • Like 2

Posted
5 minutes ago, Nouska said:

Horrible forecast!

http://www.meteofrance.com/accueil

How long without power this time?

One of my students said this morning that it was 5 days in 2000, as well as 2009! What fun and joy! Let's hope it's not as bad as they are predicting...

• Like 2

Posted

afternoon all,

Wow what a contrast with the January cold, now we are sitting under a red warning for storm force winds this weekend....  so we are laying bets on when the power and phone lines will drop, first world problems eh?

Take care and stay safe everyone...

FC

• Like 2

Posted
1 hour ago, frozencanals said:

afternoon all,

Wow what a contrast with the January cold, now we are sitting under a red warning for storm force winds this weekend....  so we are laying bets on when the power and phone lines will drop, first world problems eh?

Take care and stay safe everyone...

FC

Hi, yes, you too. It is looking like an exceptionally rough night and morning in your specific area. We've been chatting on a status update. The internet playing up badly now but don't know if it is weather related or something else - a bit temperamental like all utilities in rural France!

• Like 2

Posted
15 minutes ago, Nouska said:

Hi, yes, you too. It is looking like an exceptionally rough night and morning in your specific area. We've been chatting on a status update. The internet playing up badly now but don't know if it is weather related or something else - a bit temperamental like all utilities in rural France!

I think our electricity will be first to go, if anything does I've usually managed to keep the internet, as I use a 3g dongle. But that only works as long as there is power in the laptop, obviously!. It has been howling here already, but only under the showers, which have been torrential and accompanied by thunder...

Posted

A wee touch north again on the 12Z AROME and a more south westerly angle of approach. I might just dodge the worst of this bullet. Dry slot appearing on water vapour satellite - they must be reckoning on a sting jet with the forecast wind speeds.

AROME 709_orx8.png  ARPEGE 1212_xnf6.png

seviri_eurnat_wv6-2_20170203_1700.jpg

Source.

http://brunnur.vedur.is/myndir/seviri/2017/02/03/seviri_eurnat_wv6-2.html

• Like 1

• 2 months later...
Posted

Hi all,

It has been a bit quiet on this thread, I guess everyone has been out enjoying the amazing weather we have been have for the last month or so, at least here in SW France.  But all good things must come to an end and the weather broke over the May Bank Holiday weekend and the 26 degree warmth has been replaced by a decidedly cool 13 degree wet and windy scenario.  We even had 3 mornings of frost last week which the vine growers around here were very unhappy about as the heat had brought the vines on rather more quickly than usual.  It looks like cool wet and windy weather is set to continue this week.

Cheers

FC

Posted

The weather certainly did break over the Bank Holiday and hasn't really settled down since! It's been nice enough but a cold breeze has been a frequent visitor. Today is lovely with mid 20s, typically I'm stuck at work, but it's downhill again for tomorrow and this next Bank Holiday weekend. Hopefully the warm, settled weather will make a return but I suspect the coming week will be very perturbed. Hopefully some thunderstorm activity will make up for the lack of sunshine. The rain is much needed though and as a gardener I'm not complaining...

• 3 months later...
Posted

Hi all,

Very quiet on this thread at the moment, it has been a bit of a strange summer here in SW France, our grass has managed to remain green all summer, for I think the first time since we have lived here.  The grass usually turns yellow from July to September and no mowing required.

It has been warm and very warm but always punctuated with a week or so of cooler weather, and we have had a lot more rain than normal, we have not run out of captured rain water, indeed all our tunns are full going into autumn.

Here is hoping for a warm autumn and a crisp winter.

Cheers

FC

Posted

It looks like many areas, especially in the west, will get nice convective weather with some thunder today and a refreshing breeze.

I hope it won't be hot when I holiday in the Pyrenees orientales and Montagne Noir in a week's time. Some scattered thunderstorms would be also nice.

Posted
3 hours ago, frozencanals said:

Hi all,

Very quiet on this thread at the moment, it has been a bit of a strange summer here in SW France, our grass has managed to remain green all summer, for I think the first time since we have lived here.  The grass usually turns yellow from July to September and no mowing required.

It has been warm and very warm but always punctuated with a week or so of cooler weather, and we have had a lot more rain than normal, we have not run out of captured rain water, indeed all our tunns are full going into autumn.

Here is hoping for a warm autumn and a crisp winter.

Cheers

FC

Always found it a bit odd that Nick Sussex never seems to mention the weather for his area and what the models are suggesting for his area as well. 

Posted
27 minutes ago, Weather-history said:

Always found it a bit odd that Nick Sussex never seems to mention the weather for his area and what the models are suggesting for his area as well. 

The area where he lives has a microclimate and it is so beautiful that the weather takes secondary importance. At least that was my experience.

• 1 month later...
Posted
  • Weather Preferences: An Alpine climate - snowy winters and sunny summers

Very little rain in the SE corner of France since April of this year has resulted in drought conditions for that area. This tweet from the WMO today:

And here's an extract from the full Meteo-France report issued yesterday:

Over the overall April-September period (last 6 months), precipitation was very low. Here is the report on the scale of the different "regions" of the South-East:
- Languedoc-Roussillon: the cumulative rainfall of April to September 2017 reaches only 224 millimeters on average in the region (a deficit of 44% over 6 months), a record over the last 60 years (old record: 241 mm in 1967).
- Corsica: with 118 mm recorded since April, the deficit reached 61%, second after 1970, which had been even drier (91 mm and a 70% deficit over the period April-September).
- Provence-Alpes-Côte-d'Azur: with 226 mm since April, a deficit of 44% is reached and 2017 is in third position after 1967 and 1979.

At the departmental level, this period April-September 2017 is the driest since the beginning of the measures for the departments of Hérault, Gard, Aude, Ardèche and Alpes-Maritimes.

More locally, remarkably low rainfall amounts were recorded in September, for example:
- Orange: 7.0 mm in September (7% of normal), 137 mm from April to September (39% of normal and the driest April-September period at the station since the start of measurements in 1948)
- in Nîmes: 5.4 mm in September (13% of normal), 141 mm from April to September (41% of normal)
- in Montpellier: 7.0 mm in September (9% of normal), 118 mm from April to September (46% of normal)

Full report (in French): http://www.meteofrance.fr/actualites/54471693-sud-est-secheresse-persistante

• 1 month later...
Posted
  • Location: Mostly Watford but 3 months of the year at Capestang 34310, France
  • Weather Preferences: Continental type climate with lots of sunshine with occasional storm

Took an interesting drive through the Massif yesterday - left Capestang with almost wall to wall sunshine, though a little cool at 12 C, but as we neared the Massif the temperature rose to 14 C - with a northerly I suspect there was something of a fohn effect but by the time we reached a service station at 600 metres altitude the temperature had dropped to 7 C but with clear skies persisting. 

As we progressed north there was evidence of cu which gradually increased in area though not much in height until it was spreading out a little, tending towards strata cu. 

About half way we saw the tops were covered in snow and as we continued it was more and more in evidence, with the temp dropping further to 2 C for quite a while but at the northern end at altitudes of a 1000 to just over 1100 metres it had dropped to 1 C and the snow was more widely spread with some evidence of drifting. 

There wasn't enough to impede the journey and as it turned out it tied in well with the Accuweather forecast for St Flour, which predicted a cm of snow. 

Down the other side at Clermont Ferrand the temperature rose again to 7 C. 

Invariably the drives which we do twice a year return each year are invariably interesting and at this time of year we have had a high of 25 C and lows of about 0 C - we have had fog and torrential rain and snow above about 900 metres some of which I have posted. 

Yesterday for example the bottom halves of some wind turbines were plainly visible whilst from the axle upwards was obscured by the cloud.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Continental type climate with lots of sunshine with occasional storm

As a follow up to the above - we left Clermont Ferrand with a clear sky, the previous evening had been cloudy and some fog had developed with the wind dropping out, with the temp mostly about 2 C but dropping to 1 C in the region of Orleans.

Visibility along the autoroute was mostly about 300 to 500 metres, though with occasional clear patches. 

I marvelled at the French technology when enabled drivers to travel without any lights at well in excess of the 130 kph speed limit in those conditions. 

It's either that, where they could make a fortune if properly marketed, or might it just be that some of those drivers have a suicidal streak? 

As was the low temps stayed as far as Orleans when by stages they peaked at 13 C near Rouen with variable cloud. 

An interesting 30 hours weatherwise. 

Edited by mike Meehan

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Not too hot, excitement of snow, a hoolie

European storm naming convention starts with Ana on Monday 

0812ana.png