Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

France weather

Eightwinds

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm and sunny with night time t-storms

I've just mowed the lawn for three hours in my vest top and trousers. 20c here in Limousin, a bit breezy but warm when your working!

• 3 weeks later...
Posted

What does anyone think about upcoming t-storm potential over here? It's still 20c at 2000 here in Limousin. I'm taking tomorrow and Friday off work and having  day cycle rides...

• 4 weeks later...
Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot & Sunny, Cold & Snowy

I was looking for more data on the omega block event over France Germany and was hoping to learn more here? Seeing as lives were lost and towns drowned/devastated I thought it should at least be included lest folk ignore it?

France say the rainfall was the heaviest recorded since records began?

The other point , being from a flood blighted area, is " has the trough moved east"?

If low ice causes these Jet Anoms has lower ice since 2012 forced the Jet East?

Posted

I am curious about the increase in thunderstorms and wonder about the Solar Miniumum effect.
Apparently the Sun's hit a Solar Minimum and this has an effect on the heliosphere which weakens and in turn affects our weather thus possibly Increasing thunder storms which  may be the case across Europe.

Solar Minimum brings many interesting changes. For instance, as the extreme ultraviolet output of the sun decreases, the upper atmosphere of Earth cools and collapses.  Also, the heliosphere shrinks, bringing interstellar space closer to Earth. Galactic cosmic rays penetrate the inner solar system with relative ease. Indeed, a cosmic ray surge is already under way.  I am wondering if this has an effect on the weather in Europe at the moment. 
The above info is from bits and pieces gleaned on the internet.

Posted
1 hour ago, Gilly said:

I am curious about the increase in thunderstorms and wonder about the Solar Miniumum effect.
Apparently the Sun's hit a Solar Minimum and this has an effect on the heliosphere which weakens and in turn affects our weather thus possibly Increasing thunder storms which  may be the case across Europe.

Solar Minimum brings many interesting changes. For instance, as the extreme ultraviolet output of the sun decreases, the upper atmosphere of Earth cools and collapses.  Also, the heliosphere shrinks, bringing interstellar space closer to Earth. Galactic cosmic rays penetrate the inner solar system with relative ease. Indeed, a cosmic ray surge is already under way.  I am wondering if this has an effect on the weather in Europe at the moment. 
The above info is from bits and pieces gleaned on the internet.

The solar cycle is not yet at minimum but being weak overall, the effects may be similar to minimum conditions in that there is a propensity to meridional weather patterns. We also need to look at the Arctic ice loss as there is a signature of increased blocking associated with that also.

Some recent research on both that may interest you.

On all timescales, flood frequency is higher when solar activity is reduced. In addition, the configuration of atmospheric circulation associated with periods of increased River Ammer flood frequency broadly resembles that during intervals of reduced solar activity, as expected to be induced by the so-called solar top-down mechanism by model studies. Both atmospheric patterns are characterized by an increase in meridional airflow associated with enhanced atmospheric blocking over central Europe. Therefore, the significant correlations as well as similar atmospheric circulation patterns might provide empirical support for a solar influence on hydroclimate extremes in central Europe during spring and summer by the so-called solar top-down mechanism.

http://www.clim-past.net/12/799/2016/cp-12-799-2016.pdf

http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1002/joc.4673/full

• Like 3

Posted
3 hours ago, Nouska said:

The solar cycle is not yet at minimum but being weak overall, the effects may be similar to minimum conditions in that there is a propensity to meridional weather patterns. We also need to look at the Arctic ice loss as there is a signature of increased blocking associated with that also.

Some recent research on both that may interest you.

On all timescales, flood frequency is higher when solar activity is reduced. In addition, the configuration of atmospheric circulation associated with periods of increased River Ammer flood frequency broadly resembles that during intervals of reduced solar activity, as expected to be induced by the so-called solar top-down mechanism by model studies. Both atmospheric patterns are characterized by an increase in meridional airflow associated with enhanced atmospheric blocking over central Europe. Therefore, the significant correlations as well as similar atmospheric circulation patterns might provide empirical support for a solar influence on hydroclimate extremes in central Europe during spring and summer by the so-called solar top-down mechanism.

http://www.clim-past.net/12/799/2016/cp-12-799-2016.pdf

http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1002/joc.4673/full

Thank you for that information Nouska......it made me wonder!  I also take your point on the Arctic ice loss.
 I will take the time to read your links, they are much appreciated.
Another grey humid day here in North West France......

• Like 1

Been over in France (Bordeaux) this past week to watch the football and to catch some sun and to topup my tan.

However the weather has been very poor for a summer holiday, it has rained every day, with some very heavy and at times thundery showers.

Sunshine amounts have generally been disappointing, when the sun has come out, it has felt warm, but it has been windy and felt cool/cold more often than not. Temps maxing around 19/20.

The weather slowly started picking up in Southern France, just as we flew back today, but damp, cloudy and a little cool for Paris on the way back.

Edited by J10

• 4 weeks later...
Posted

• 4 weeks later...
Posted
  • Location: Mostly Watford but 3 months of the year at Capestang 34310, France
  • Weather Preferences: Continental type climate with lots of sunshine with occasional storm
  • Location: Mostly Watford but 3 months of the year at Capestang 34310, France

The grape harvest looks like suffering through the drought in Languedoc, specifically Aude, as described here:

http://www.midilibre.fr/2016/08/14/occitanie-de-la-vigilance-a-la-crise-les-vignes-au-regime-sec,1379975.php#xtor=EPR-2-[Newsletter]-20160815-[Zone_info]

I spoke to my tenant yesterday - there has been a profusion of 'bush fires' in the region and it has only rained twice since they took up residence on 01.06.2016.

Edited by mike Meehan

• 3 weeks later...
Posted

Just back from Languedoc on Sunday, and yes, it is very very dry. Ironically it has been hotter here in Limousin where things are also worryingly dry despite a small thunderstorm on Sunday morning. It goes on being hot - we're working on our land today and it's 30c+, but it's nice to be able to take a swim in the lake to cool off. The heat looks set to continue well into September too. We're starting to enjoy our pears, and the rest of the veggie garden just keeps on giving. Loving life and living it to the full - work will intervene from the end of next week onward - but always remembering that I work to live!!!

• 2 weeks later...
Posted
  • Weather Preferences: An Alpine climate - snowy winters and sunny summers

For all of us who love the mountains, this is probably our worst nightmare. There are 45 people stuck in the Mont Blanc cable car this morning after high winds tangled the cables yesterday afternoon. What an unpleasant way to spend the night - dangling above the mountain at over 3,000m.

I've looked at the Meteociel archive charts for yesterday and I have to say I can't see any high winds across France. Maybe it was a very localised phenomenon caused by a particular weather set-up in the Mont Blanc area?  BBC report: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-37314661

Mean winds 14.00: GFS 0z on Thur08Sep Vent.png

Posted

Thanks it wasn't in wintertime. Do cable cars have heating? Can you open up the windows a bit? I went on a couple in Switzerland but I can't remember those fine details.

Posted

We're having another "pic de chaleur" today and tomorrow with the temperature possibly reaching 37c in places. Thunderstorms forecast for tomorrow evening which could be eventful!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: 22-38C in summer with storms, cold in winter with some snow/or 15-25C

Been 27+C  all month here, and around 35C now, quite an experience to say the least, considering it is now Mid-September!

Edited by 95 Degrees

Posted

So what is the word on the street for weather in around Rocamadour during period 19th to 24th September? Been cruising the weather sites but results a bit erratic. Possibly a bit far out for anything too accurate. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: An Alpine climate - snowy winters and sunny summers
23 hours ago, Styx said:

Thanks it wasn't in wintertime. Do cable cars have heating? Can you open up the windows a bit? I went on a couple in Switzerland but I can't remember those fine details.

I'm a skiing fanatic and I've never been in a cable car with heating. The reports of the Mont Blanc incident quoted trapped passengers saying how very cold it went overnight. It could have been serious if it had been winter with overnight temps at that altitude easily reaching into the minus 20C's. But ventilation isn't a problem - either windows or lots of vents.

A few thunderstorms near Chamonix tonight: Lightning 21.00.jpg

But looking like some serious storms around tomorrow (Tues) evening in the SW of France:

Unstable atmosphere 17.00 Arpege MUCAPE Tues13Sep 17.00.png  Rainfall by midnight Arpege Precip Wed14Sep 00.00.png

EDIT: My curiousity got me researching further into heated cable cars and I've discovered that in the last 2 years Austria has installed 2 new cable cars with heated seats. They are the new Wildspitzbahn ascending to the Pitztal Glacier and the new Salvenbahn ascending to the Hohe Salve at Brixental. With new cable car installations, if money is no object, they can put in a third cable for electricty supply. There is also a lot of interest in putting solar panels on the top of existing cable cars, thanks to the cost of them coming down and a big improvement in the performance of batteries to store the power generated. So expect more heating and wi-fi in cable cars!

Edited by Blessed Weather
  • Like 2

Posted
3 hours ago, Blessed Weather said:

I'm a skiing fanatic and I've never been in a cable car with heating. The reports of the Mont Blanc incident quoted trapped passengers saying how very cold it went overnight. It could have been serious if it had been winter with overnight temps at that altitude easily reaching into the minus 20C's. But ventilation isn't a problem - either windows or lots of vents.

A few thunderstorms near Chamonix tonight: Lightning 21.00.jpg

But looking like some serious storms around tomorrow (Tues) evening in the SW of France:

Unstable atmosphere 17.00 Arpege MUCAPE Tues13Sep 17.00.png  Rainfall by midnight Arpege Precip Wed14Sep 00.00.png

I'll let you know what happens here!

• Like 1

Posted

Ouch!!             aromehd-1-11-3_rgh1.png   

36 hour total aromehd-25-36-0_tfg7.png

That will break the drought in a rather spectacular fashion.

http://propluvia.developpement-durable.gouv.fr/propluvia/faces/index.jsp

An edit to add a couple of links from Meteo France about the new September heat records and the storms that followed.

http://www.meteofrance.fr/actualites/40476083-nouveaux-records-de-chaleur

http://www.meteofrance.fr/actualites/40517706-bilan-des-orages-de-la-nuit

Edited by Nouska
Additional material.
  • Like 2

Posted

No sferics, just - for the moment, gentle pattering raindrops. I can feel the garden smiling...

Posted

We are off to Paris on Saturday, 24th, and I wonder what we can expect weather wise. I have to say neither my wife or I cope with heat, and have visited France at the same time of year for the past few years, and last year was ideal, 20-22C, clear skies, and fine all week. Usually by now it is not as hot. This year September has been different from our norm in the UK. We may plan on a trip to the south, but if temperatures are still 30+ then we will go in a different direction. So is there any consistency on 10day forecasts yet?

• 2 weeks later...
Posted
  • Weather Preferences: 22-38C in summer with storms, cold in winter with some snow/or 15-25C

Average high in down here in Toulouse looking like being 27C for the month, not bad for what is now September! it is also very very dry.

Posted
14 minutes ago, 95 Degrees said:

Average high in down here in Toulouse looking like being 27C for the month, not bad for what is now September! it is also very very dry.

I'm, working in Dijon right now. Same here. Warm and dry. Rain expected over the weekend...please!

Posted
On 9/16/2016 at 20:59, mike57 said:

We are off to Paris on Saturday, 24th, and I wonder what we can expect weather wise. I have to say neither my wife or I cope with heat, and have visited France at the same time of year for the past few years, and last year was ideal, 20-22C, clear skies, and fine all week. Usually by now it is not as hot. This year September has been different from our norm in the UK. We may plan on a trip to the south, but if temperatures are still 30+ then we will go in a different direction. So is there any consistency on 10day forecasts yet?

Where have you ended up? You've had a lovely week, at least I have here in Dijon where I am working, and I am told it has been gorgeous in Limousin where I live, also.

Depending on where you are, from this evening into tomorrow night could provide some spectacular thunderstorms, and in places an awful lot of rain - some warnings out for Languedoc Roussillon.

Posted

On 30/09/2016 at 11:15, Spikecollie said:

Where have you ended up? You've had a lovely week, at least I have here in Dijon where I am working, and I am told it has been gorgeous in Limousin where I live, also.

Depending on where you are, from this evening into tomorrow night could provide some spectacular thunderstorms, and in places an awful lot of rain - some warnings out for Languedoc Roussillon.

Weather has been ideal, two short wet spells, Sunday evening and Friday evening. other than that sunny but not too hot, back home now ready for work tomorrow. Spent our time in the Paris area, apart from a day trip to Troyes, which was very enjoyable, with perfect weather (rest of pictures on Flickr).

DSC_0422a.JPG