Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

France weather

Eightwinds

Posted

Looks like NW Europe could be in for a great sunny autumnal few days, back to sunshine and 20+ temps for the weekend in our part of France.

FC

Edited by frozencanals

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: An Alpine climate - snowy winters and sunny summers

Le Dauphine published some lovely photos on their website today, showing the early snowfall that has fallen in the French Alps over the last couple of days, including one of some cows still up in the high Alpine pastures at La Plagne:

Avoriaz post-20040-0-92973400-1443121559_thumb.j Flaine post-20040-0-91658200-1443121575_thumb.j La Plagne post-20040-0-05425800-1443121617_thumb.j

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm and sunny with night time t-storms

Looks like NW Europe could be in for a great sunny autumnal few days, back to sunshine and 20+ temps for the weekend in our part of France.

FC

Oh it's gorgeous here in Dijon! 23c days, but cool nights, and unbroken sunshine - shame I'm inside teaching. Same at home in Limousin. More to come. October cycle rides on the horizon in between work!

Corsica is the place tonight if you want your storms. Just watching the French news and there's an orange alert for torrential rain and coastal flooding. Today in Dijon was calm and warm after a cloudy start. Typical - rain for Limousin on Saturday, but I'll get out on my bike on Sunday!

Edited by Spikecollie

Posted

Meteo-France assessment of this September in France:

After six months warmer than normal, this September was marked by cooler temperatures and two episodes strongly rainy and windy in mid-month.

The average temperature was below normal in almost all of France. Only Corsica benefited from slightly above seasonal values ​​temperatures. Near normal on the eastern flank, except the Alps where they were lower than the average of 1 to 3 ° C, temperatures were generally 1 to 2 ° C below seasonal values ​​on the rest of the country. On average over the month and on France, the temperature should be lower than normal by almost 1 ° C.

Rainfall was excess of Poitou-Charentes at the Belgian border and the Haut-Languedoc north of the Alps and Lorraine. Rainfall exceeded 1.5 to 2 times the normal Charentes in Île-de-France and punctually in the Northeast. She reached 2-3 times the normal northern Hérault west of the Isere. In contrast, rainfall was generally loss of Aquitaine and Midi-Pyrenees north of the Auvergne and the Finistère to Cotentin. The deficit was even more pronounced on the Mediterranean coast and Corsica with the exception of Côte d'Azur, often above 70%. On average over France and over the month, rainfall is expected to be near normal.

Sunshine, broadly in line with normal on virtually all of the country, however, was more generous in northern Brittany to Normandy.

http://www.meteofrance.fr/actualites/29368361-un-mois-de-septembre-frais-et-agite

Posted

Looking good for t-storms here in Limousin tomorrow and early next week. My first since living here permanently, and since losing my "dog man". It has been lovely in Dijon, cool night s but very warm days, and when I got back here even with the shutters having been closed, it was still 17c inside. No cold on the horizon yet.

Posted

Early winter continues to visit the mountains of France. These photos published by Le Dauphine today:

Vars ski resort: post-20040-0-10890800-1443857721_thumb.j Nearby mountain road into Italy: post-20040-0-23186500-1443857736_thumb.j

If like me you're wondering where Vars is located: post-20040-0-14613600-1443857766_thumb.j

• Like 1

Posted

No overhead storms today here in Haute Vienne but distant thunder and near day time darkness this mid-morning. Lovely cloudscapes. Developed into a nice warm but always ominous afternoon with CBs and TCUs in the background, a max of 18c.

Posted

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot and thundery or Cold and snowy.
Posted

Posted

Anyone got a radar grab of these storms?

I see estofex had a warning out. Seemed pretty accurate too. 

http://www.estofex.org/cgi-bin/polygon/showforecast.cgi?lightningmap=yes&fcstfile=2015100406_201510030051_2_stormforecast.xml

No radar grab, but yesterday's GFS charts show what happened. The CAPE&LI chart shows the unstable air and the Precipitation chart the very heavy rain which went on all afternoon and into the evening. The photo from the BBC website of Nice v Nantes abandoned football match really shows the intensity of the rain.

post-20040-0-43397400-1443956054_thumb.p post-20040-0-32913900-1443956068_thumb.p post-20040-0-50154100-1443956230_thumb.j

• Like 2

Posted

Anyone got a radar grab of these storms?

I see estofex had a warning out. Seemed pretty accurate too. 

http://www.estofex.org/cgi-bin/polygon/showforecast.cgi?lightningmap=yes&fcstfile=2015100406_201510030051_2_stormforecast.xml

This a commentary and analysis with radar from Meteociel done over the course of the day and evening.

Some of the video footage is incredible, but it's the loss of life that is so awful.

Posted

I'm right on the borderline of the Estofex Level 2 warning for this evening into tomorrow. It has been a weird day here today, and everything says storms. It's warm and humid and looks very unstable up there. There were already heavy showers today in Limoges where I was working and I got soaked going out to get lunch! I'm off out to work again now until 2200, so I'm hoping I get back well before anything starts up.

Posted

Looks like we could have our first real frost in Limousin, some forecasts prog as low as -4c late this week and into next! Time to get the heating on me thinks...but a daytime high of 19c will more than compensate!

Edited by Spikecollie
  • Like 1

Posted

Belgium is forecast similar night-time temperatures with maximum temperatures in the east and south as low as 3c, which is really cold given the time of year and that nowhere in Belgium is above 700m. 

In keeping with the title, the closest major French town to me is Charleville and it looks to be getting maxes around 7-9c, so not quite as impressive. 

Edited by Harve

Posted

It was cold last night (hot water bottle well cuddled!). My thermometer only read 2c at 0600 and I'm in the hills/valleys. Driving through the flatter areas though, between Haute Vienne and Poitiers, there was a lot of fog, rime on the trees and white ground frost. A first, very subtle, freezing fog event I guess. The day warmed, and it is now 8c on my thermometer, a warming trend to come as we lose HP and gain more southerly winds here...

Posted

This last week has been a chilly one in France. This article from Meteo-France:

The cold air that swept the country since the beginning of the week has generated remarkably low temperatures for mid-October. Where the sky remained clear, particularly early night frosts were recorded, while the regions under the persistent low clouds recorded remarkably low maximum temperatures. In some places, such conditions had not been seen for 40 years.
From Saturday, a warm spell should be felt especially in the Southwest, while the atmosphere should remain a bit cool in the other regions.

Animation of the temperature anomaly: post-20040-0-13038500-1445068485_thumb.g

http://www.meteofrance.fr/actualites/29950959-pic-de-fraicheur-remarquable-sur-l-hexagone

Posted

Utterly beautiful here today in Limousin. I spent the day working in Limoges, but got enough free time to go outside. Quite windy. the leaves are falling fast, but blissfully warm. 18c and a virtually cloudless sky. Had the front door open when I got back from work "to let the heat in"! Hoping it goes on like this, and it looks like it will.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
Posted

Foggy here in Dijon tonight but not too cold.. 22-25c being forecast for Limousin over the weekend where I'm back to on Saturday afternoon, the blissful autumn continues...

Posted

Here's a link to Météo France's commentary on this weekend. I don't do Google Translate, but the gist is easy to get:

http://www.meteofrance.fr/actualites/30438834-un-week-end-exceptionnellement-doux

We had 26c max here today in my Limousin valley, and I was out cycling in my summer sleeveless top and shorts. It is so bizarre when the day is so short. The night is gentle and mild, and just before dark it was still 20c. More of the same tomorrow for our apple festival...

• Like 2

Posted

Glorious weekend in the Charente again (24 degrees), we were able to eat all or meals outside, and today is forecast to be even warmer than yesterday!  I think when autumn/winter arrives it is going  to be a bit of a shock to the system.

Cheers

FC

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: 22-38C in summer with storms, cold in winter with some snow/or 15-25C

27-28C in Basque France, c'est vraiment incroyable pour la saison, même ici dans Les Pays Basque!

• Like 1