Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

France weather

Eightwinds

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm dry summers

From Sky news

In France, up to 15,000 vehicles are stuck in the French Alps as heavy snow blanketed roads leading up to ski resorts near Brides les Bains.

The French Interior Ministry said one person died in the bad weather and roads were blocked in both directions.

Posted
  • Location: Putney, SW London. A miserable 14m asl....but nevertheless the lucky recipient of c 20cm of snow in 12 hours 1-2 Feb 2009!
  • Location: Putney, SW London. A miserable 14m asl....but nevertheless the lucky recipient of c 20cm of snow in 12 hours 1-2 Feb 2009!

Yes, here in the foothills of the Jura (at about 500m, the other side of Geneva from the Alps) we had much more settling snow than had been expected by the authorities. Most - but not all - forecasts, including the official Meteo Swiss site, suggested that below 700m Saturday morning's snow would be transient, and turn quickly to heavy sleet/rain around 7 am, dying out by 10 - then the temp would dip below freezing again after 4 pm with a bit more light snow. In the event significant snowfall and temps near 0c continued till midday, by which time we had at least 20 cm (8") lying. Temps then rose well above freezing, with sleet/wet snow showers of varying intensity, and stayed above zero well into the night. Later on it finally cooled, and we had a further 5 cm in dribs and drabs during the early hours and into the morning. It just goes to show how even in places thoroughly used to snow, it is incredibly difficult to predict marginal snow events accurately.

P.S. As the last of the flurries fade, the skies are set to clear as some seriously cold air moves in from the NE this evening. Earlier predictions of night-time temps below -20c in the next few days have now been moderated, but -11c to -13c still seems very possible tonight into Monday, and Wed into Thursday.

• Like 4

Posted

Hi, I am a long term member of Netweather and used to live in the North of Scotland until three years ago. Now live in the North West of France where it is really wet in winter. Great to see a French thread on here. :clapping:

• Like 1

Posted

Hi Gilly, a belated Merry Xmas, I hope life in France is treating you well :D

Ah, thanks Catch......very well indeed.  I am sure the weather in Scotland is seasonably cold at the moment,  any sign of snow yet?

Lovely day here.....5C with clear sunny skies.

Hope You, Mrs Catch and the four little Catches have a great, healthy, happy New Year. :drinks:

From Le Midi Libre:

Perpignan : 20,2 °C un 3 janvier, le record de température de 1875 presque battu

Les relevés de Météo France ce 3 janvier à 14 h à Perpignan, ont frisé le record de douceur enregistré il y 140 ans, en 1875. Le thermomètre affichait alors un 20, 3 °c. Le réchauffement climatique n'était pourtant pas d'actualité.

L'Indépendant de Perpignan souligne la température exceptionnellement douce en ce début du mois de janvier 2015. Les prévisionnistes de Météo France étaient étonnés de cette valeur même si depuis le mois d'octobre la tendance était à la hausse. Les températures maximales très élevés enregistrées cet automne et en ce début d'hiver malgré quelques journées bien froides. Toujours est-il que la valeur de ce 3 janvier 2015 reste remarquable.

My translation – if it is in error, perhaps the French speakers will correct me - I had to change it round a bit to get what I considered to be the right sense:

Perpignan : 20.2C on 03 January, the record of 1875 nearly broken.

'The readings, by Meteo France on 3rd January at 1400 hours at Perpignan, were the mildest temperature for 140 years, since1875 when the thermometer then showed a temperature 20, 3 ° c. Then Global warming was not topical.

This independence at Perpignan underlines the exceptionally mild temperature at the beginning of January 2015. The weather forecasters of Meteo France were surprised by this value even though since October the trend has been upward. High maximum temperatures were recorded this autumn and early winter despite some cold days. The fact remains that the value of this January 3, 2015 remains remarkable'.

NB - I can't help thinking that this high reading was probably aided by a 'Fohn effect' from the nearby Pyrenees. I noted that in the Daily Telegraph on the same day at Toulouse the maximum temperature was much colder and that the minimum at Perpignan was -1C.

Edited by mike Meehan
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: 22-38C in summer with storms, cold in winter with some snow/or 15-25C

2015 starts where 2014 left off, some incredibly mild temperatures on the French Mediterranean Coast forecasted this week-end, the average maximum temperature of Perpignan for example is 12.4C, but is already sitting at 16C so far, with low 20s forecasted this week-end, January 2007 record may be challenged at least if this continues.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm and sunny with night time t-storms

We're heading down to just outside Perpignan tomorrow for a week, so we'll let you know - we sunbathed on January 1st last year down there and were then nearly blown off the road in a storm at the end of the same day! The other potential issue of interest is the Tramontane for this coming weekend - it looks like being pretty tempestuous as it often is when the setup is like it is further north - watch this space...

Here in Limousin we're plagued by low cloud, fog and horizontal drizzle - but we had a gloriously warm day yesterday so we can't complain. Happy to miss out on what the UK has to offer for the time being!

Posted

We got up to 18c here in Leucate today, but there is a very strong Tramontane. Went to Rivesaltes this afternoon/evening and there was an almost summer like warm wind - I suspect the temperature could have reached 20+ in the city as it is very tempered where we are by the sea. Amazing times...

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: 22-38C in summer with storms, cold in winter with some snow/or 15-25C

Foehn/Mistral affect hitting the Côte d'azur, Nice went from 12C to 22c in just one hour.

Posted

L'Indépendant de Perpignan souligne la température exceptionnellement douce... 

My translation – if it is in error, perhaps the French speakers will correct me - I had to change it round a bit to get what I considered to be the right sense:

This independence at Perpignan underlines the exceptionally mild temperature...

V intereresting report, Mike, thanks, and most of the translation is good...but I strongly suspect that L'Independant de Perpignan is a newspaper!

Edited by osmposm

Posted

V intereresting report, Mike, thanks, and most of the translation is good...but I strongly suspect that L'Independant de Perpignan is a newspaper!

Quite correct indeed. L'Independant is a local newspaper down here, the other is Midi Libre.

It has been quite exceptional. Our top gust here in Leucate was 105km/h yesterday, yet the day before we were (along with quite a few others) on the beach and strolling along until after 1600 as the temperature in the shade on our patio was 21c! The wind was so strong that it was difficult to walk but we simply had to go for a dog walk just to experience that amazing sensation. It's a non-destructive wind in the main (the Tramontane from the North) provided you have everything secured, but it is spectacular to feel. Today it is clear, quite still, but much colder and it was into low single figures over night. I have some photos which I will post later from various days.

Back up to Limousin in a couple of days, then the UK next weekend, then back to France for me the following weekend. Who knows what meteorological treats lie in store!

Edited by Spikecollie

Posted

Rough night here in Brittany.......heavy rain and high winds leaving chaos in its path. Garden(field)  looks as if a tornado passed through!!!
Forecast saying we are possibly in for snow after next weekend.  We shall see.

• 2 weeks later...
Posted

Possible ice day here in the Charente (SW France) today, lots of freezing rain about too.  Took my daughter to her horse riding lesson and all the ground at the riding centre was sheet ice.  It is still -3 and its almost midday!

Sadly no snow around, I always find it odd that it is so cold but it still cant snow....

Take care

FC

Posted

I've just arrived in Paris. A lovely apricot sunset flying in and quite mild too. Heading to Dijon on the train in a short while where it might be a bit colder.

Posted

Possible ice day here in the Charente (SW France) today, lots of freezing rain about too. Took my daughter to her horse riding lesson and all the ground at the riding centre was sheet ice. It is still -3 and its almost midday!

Sadly no snow around, I always find it odd that it is so cold but it still cant snow....

Take care

FC

Limousin, my soon to be home, gets like that too. We had New Year there - hard frost but little snow. Edited by Spikecollie

Posted

Hi Spike and Frozencanal........we had a couple of cold days with frost but since the days have been sunny but with a biting wind.  Today it will be mild(11C forecast) and rain has returned (normal for this region as it is a maritime climate).  Maybe the chance of snow at the end of the week again.  I am looking forward to summer,
I'm sure you will enjoy your life here in France Spikecollie. :)

Edited by Gilly

Posted

I woke up this morning here in Dijon to an absolute blizzard. I went back to bed as I wasn't teaching until 1600! The snow turned to rain very quickly and it rained all day. Now just a malign drizzle. The end of the week looks interesting - I fly back to the UK for a brief stay on Saturday - but I think spring will be incoming soon! I can't wait to spend a full year in Limousin...

Posted

A nice covering of snow here in Dijon to Wake up to, but it has all gone now - evaporating mysteriously the way it often does here. More forecast overnight with freezing fog on the menu too. Looks like I might get something of the t-storm variety in northern France tomorrow also - the forecasts have been getting more and more interesting with the Meteo France map now half covered in hail and lightning symbols. A cloudspotting flight back to MAN me thinks. Not so keen on having to get the 0700 train though...

Posted

White for the last three mornings with a mix of hail and snow.......we are over 850 feet up.  So waiting to see what this week brings on Wednesday and Thursday........  rain is so depressing.   :) 
Speaking to family in South West Scotland and it would appear the weather has been very similar to here in North Western France .

Posted

What about the mega snow in the Pyrenees? over a metre and still falling in Bareges.

Yes.....it is incredible!!!  Up to another 15cms forecast today.

We had a dusting of snow last night.....current temps around 1C

Edited by Gilly

Posted

Afternoon all,

Some pictures from our friends in the Pyrenees....  after one and a half meters of snow fell....

We are even expecting some snow in Bordeaux and the Charente this week...

post-4424-0-95946400-1422894991_thumb.jppost-4424-0-97224500-1422895002_thumb.jppost-4424-0-89452200-1422895012_thumb.jppost-4424-0-01181500-1422895022_thumb.jp

Edited by frozencanals
  • Like 1

I return from my hibernation! 10 degrees now in Toulouse. That's different from our last week and its snowmen in the gardens. The snow remainded during one week and it's so incredible for a city like Toulouse (south of France). It's the biggest episode of snow since 1992 with 10 cm on the ground observed by the Blagnac airport and probably more (15 cm) in the suburb and countryside!

I don't know if I need to say that the road network was completely blocked because the snow occured during the rush hour morning! So funny...