Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

France weather

Eightwinds

Hi Guys, 

I'm really happy to find this english community. I live in Toulouse in the South of France and I have a lot interest for meteo/climatology. I'm so sorry for my english : french people have some difficulties in languages. It's not a big news.

So, I'm going propose you to follow the weather in France in this topic. Current weather is particularly animated. Let's us see the weather warnings for Friday : 

alerte_plp9.png

In Toulouse, the wind gusts could reach 100 km/h and potentially 150 km/h near to the Pyrénées. 

But, the situation become preoccupying on Mediterranan coasts. After the floodings in Var, new convective cells form and they promise until 300 mm for the next 3 days.

During our end of week, temperature can exceed 20 degrees : october's temperatures!

Thanks!

• Like 7

Bien venue 8 winds,

Or welcome aboard - when I am in France I am not too far away from you at Capestang (34310) - now that I am retired we spend approximately 3 months a year there. I generally follow the weather there on ''Accuweather' apologies to others who may think I am using bad language.

No problem with your English as far as I can see - I suspect you speak it better than I speak French. I will look forward reading your book posts.

A bien tot,

Posted

Thankfully so far the worst of the winds have missed . There was a short period last night when there was a sudden upsurge in wind strength and I feared the worst at that stage.

Alot of problems though further east towards the Var where sadly theres been some loss of life due to flooding, also the Autan Wind could cause problems towards Toulouse.

The current set up is quite unusual with this slow moving low  near Portugal, driving strong se winds north , generally any gales here come in from the sw.

Edited by nick sussex

Thank you Mike.

The climate at Capestang must be radically different than in England. You spend 3 months a year but do you go over there during the summer season or humid season ? 

About Capestang and a part of South of France, the weather is currently bad. Locally, rainfall intensity approaches 150 mm/h and it could be that the situation get worse during the next days on the mediterranean coast.

radar_mys0.png

In Toulouse, temperature is 16°C early in the morning thanks to the wind which blow from the mediterranean sea. 

Have a nice day.

• Like 1

Thank you Mike.

The climate at Capestang must be radically different than in England. You spend 3 months a year but do you go over there during the summer season or humid season ?

About Capestang and a part of South of France, the weather is currently bad. Locally, rainfall intensity approaches 150 mm/h and it could be that the situation get worse during the next days on the mediterranean coast.

radar_mys0.png

In Toulouse, temperature is 16°C early in the morning thanks to the wind which blow from the mediterranean sea.

Have a nice day.

We generally stay for 6 weeks in the spring and 6 weeks in the autumn, then sometimes a couple of weeks in the summer, when we have to let our house out for holiday lets - it's the only we we can afford to keep it! If you look on my profiles get you should find a link to our website.

This autumn we were there from the end of August to the begining of October and most of the time the weather was good with nice warm days and sunshine but just before the end it got decidedly soggy with 150mms of rain falling in a very short period, however we were lucky, Montpellier had 300mms.

From what I have seen since the weather has remained more or less unsettled. Not sure what this will mean for the winter but when we arrived last spring we were informed that there had been virtually no rain all winter - at that same time the UK was decidedly soggy with probably the wettest winter on record.

Next I will tell you about 07/08.03.2010 when I got surprise of my life at Capestang.

Edited by mike Meehan

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Ice and snow, heat and sun!

Hi Eightwinds, and welcome to NW. I too am semi-retired and spend 2 or 3 months in France, mostly during the summer when we run our gites. I'll keep popping back in here and look forward to a chat.

Edited by Yozzer

I'm glad to see this topic interested a few persons and I hope so it will allow to improve my english level. I'm waiting impatiently the rest of your stories ! 

Yesterday, temperature reached 20.3°C in Toulouse, that is to say 9°C above seasonal normal. Now, we can feel a mild wind blowing at 80 km/h, quite strange to two days of december.  

Moreover, we can't miss out on the tornado which caused Friday a lot of damages at Sérignan in Hérault, located at only 25 km to Capestang. 

possible-tornade-serignan-herault-28-nov

Next warming is for Aude and Pyrénées Orientales departments.  During the next three days, forecasting models predict until 200 mm.

84-777P_lul6.GIF

Edited by Eightwinds

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: 22-38C in summer with storms, cold in winter with some snow/or 15-25C

Southern France has had a very warm last three months relative to the average, with September, October and now November all having been well above average months, looking like a warm year overall, despite the cool summer (especially July & August) there.

I'm glad to see this topic interested a few persons and I hope so it will allow to improve my english level. I'm waiting impatiently the rest of your stories ! 

Yesterday, temperature reached 20.3°C in Toulouse, that is to say 9°C above seasonal normal. Now, we can feel a mild wind blowing at 80 km/h, quite strange to two days of december.  

Moreover, we can't miss out on the tornado which caused Friday a lot of damages at Sérignan in Hérault, located at only 25 km to Capestang. 

possible-tornade-serignan-herault-28-nov

Next warming is for Aude and Pyrénées Orientales departments.  During the next three days, forecasting models predict until 200 mm.

84-777P_lul6.GIF

Saw on face book that there was a mini tornado between Poilhes and Nissan on 28.11.2014 -

Stormy skies over Capestang today, and even a mini tornado at Poilhes and Nissan. Our little stream became a raging torrent. More storms, wind and lashing rain forecast over the next night and tomorrow. Where's our sun?

25...it´s the difference of temperature in degrees between two french towns this afternoon : Ajaccio with 26 degrees thanks to the Sirocco wind and Langres with 1 degree under the fog. Winter and summer clashed today !

And then...there are already these floodings in the south of France. Red warming that is to say the maximal warming for the Roussillon's waterways.

Edited by Eightwinds

Is southern France still feeling the earlier effects of the autumnal rains or was it very localised e.g in Montpelier.

Maybe it's my imagination but when travelling to Montpellier from Capestang, it has often seemed wetter sometimes. In the storm about 28.08.2014, we had about 150 mms of rain at Capestang but at Montpellier there was 300 mms - with a mixture of lowlands, sea and mountains, all in a relative close proximity, it's not surprising it makes for interesting weather at times.

Another thing I have noticed is that Narbonne and Carcassonne appear to be windier than Capestang but there is probably some basis in this - Both Narbonne and Carcassonne being just about midway in the valley between the Pyrenees and the Massif are more exposed to the Tramontane wind which blows from the north west and is funnelled along this valley. 

Edited by mike Meehan
  • Like 1

I'm agree with you Mike...Micro climate can exist anywhere and France too.

Next step after the floodings, the first snow flakes in the North and North-east, Wednesday. The temperature dropped 10 degrees at Toulouse. 18°C saturday, and only 8°C now. Winter comes back...

Have you observe any snow flakes in Great Britain since the start of the season ? 

I'm agree with you Mike...Micro climate can exist anywhere and France too.

Next step after the floodings, the first snow flakes in the North and North-east, Wednesday. The temperature dropped 10 degrees at Toulouse. 18°C saturday, and only 8°C now. Winter comes back...

Have you observe any snow flakes in Great Britain since the start of the season ? 

No, and we did not see any snow in our part of the UK either - the only time I saw snow last winter was when we were travelling along the A75 and we had about 50 mms above 900 metres, then last Spring on top of the Massif near St Flour, I estimate at about 1500 metres. 

I do recall that in May 2010, we passed by Toulouse on our way to Santander and there was snow on the foothills in that area and it finally warmed up when we got to Devon in the UK.

Still have to tell you about 7/8.03.2010 but running out of time.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: An Alpine climate - snowy winters and sunny summers

Southern France has had a very warm last three months relative to the average, with September, October and now November all having been well above average months, looking like a warm year overall, despite the cool summer (especially July & August) there.

Indeed 95 Degrees. In fact on 25th November Meteo France posted that 2014 likely to be in the top 3 hottest years since the start of the twentieth century. I've translated using Google:

The year 2014 will range most likely among the three hottest years in France since the beginning of the twentieth century. Temperatures were remarkably warm since the beginning of the year in France. Over the period from January to October, seven months (out of) ten experienced temperatures above normal.

http://www.meteofrance.fr/actualites?articleId=18304324

And in a separate post they say this Autumn will be the second warmest since 1900 as a result of a constant flow of winds from the south.

http://www.meteofrance.fr/actualites?articleId=18290790

Could I too extend a welcome to Eightwinds. Good to have a dedicated "France Weather" thread.

• Like 1

Hi Guys, 

I'm really happy to find this english community. I live in Toulouse in the South of France and I have a lot interest for meteo/climatology. I'm so sorry for my english : french people have some difficulties in languages. It's not a big news.

So, I'm going propose you to follow the weather in France in this topic. Current weather is particularly animated. Let's us see the weather warnings for Friday : 

alerte_plp9.png

In Toulouse, the wind gusts could reach 100 km/h and potentially 150 km/h near to the Pyrénées. 

But, the situation become preoccupying on Mediterranan coasts. After the floodings in Var, new convective cells form and they promise until 300 mm for the next 3 days.

During our end of week, temperature can exceed 20 degrees : october's temperatures!

Thanks!

Moi aussi, je parle français comme une vache Espagnol :)

• Like 1

You speak french like a Spanish cow, but a cow which speak french very well then! :)

I tried to send a message last night but I used my Ipad and it didn't want...

Mike, I remember this incredible day 6th and 7th March 2010. We measured 8 cm at the Blagnac airport in Toulouse and temperature didn't exceed -1°C all day...

Far far away of this amazing day, I want to build on the Blessed Weather's idea. The ten last days of november was completely crazy thanks to this southerly wind. At Blagnac, we have :

Tnm : 13.8°, so +8.0° ( if we use the monthly mean)

Txm : 18.1°, so +4.8°

Tm : 16.0°, so +6.4° !

For two days, we have been frozen with 4-5°C all the time.

I'm wainting snow...soon!

• Like 1

You speak french like a Spanish cow, but a cow which speak french very well then! :)

I tried to send a message last night but I used my Ipad and it didn't want...

Mike, I remember this incredible day 6th and 7th March 2010. We measured 8 cm at the Blagnac airport in Toulouse and temperature didn't exceed -1°C all day...

Far far away of this amazing day, I want to build on the Blessed Weather's idea. The ten last days of november was completely crazy thanks to this southerly wind. At Blagnac, we have :

Tnm : 13.8°, so +8.0° ! ( if we use the monthly mean)

Txm : 18.1°, so +4.8°

Tm : 16.0°, so +6.4° !

For two days, we have been frozen with 4-5°C all the time.

I'm wainting snow...soon!

Yes, at the time we were staying in our original house whilst the new house was undergoing a complete refurbishment - I think it was the Sunday evening when massive wet flakes started falling. The following day some friends of ours came to visit from Montpellier - they had a jeep type Toyota and were able to get through ok but several lorries on the A9 were stuck near Beziers - it continued to snow right through that day and the temperatures dropped to below freezing.

The day after we decided to go to Narbonne to do some shopping - we got as far as Cuxac to come across a DIVERSION, so we followed this through the little villages which looked great in the snow against the backdrop of a beautiful blue sky but damn it, I didn't have my camera.

JCB's were out clearing the snow off the roads - no salt or grit was used but once the sun got on the cleared roads they were dry again, so it wasn't really necessary.

At Narbonne watched the blowing snow in awe as it was blowing off the roof of Tridome.

On the wat back we were able to take our normal route but it became obvious that the road had been blocked just beyond Cuxac.

It stayed cold for the rest of that week with the snow only slowly disappearing.

Later that week we came across the Pompiers extinguishing a bush fire at the side of the road, although there was still snow on the nearby fields.

It seemed paradoxical that we could have snow like we had, yet the undergrowth remained tinder dry.

We don't normally experience it like that it the UK - normally when it snows it remains soggy.

Edited by mike Meehan
  • Like 1

I'm sure now! We will undergo a same thing this year! (I hope so strongly...)

Or another solution can satisfy my thirst of winter weather : A big high pressure on France after an cold southward allowing the installatin of freezing fog! 

gfs-0-192_nok5.png

Edited by Eightwinds

Posted

Bonjour,

I have not seen this thread before...  its a great idea I work in the UK during the week and at the weekend I am at home in the Charente.

It was -2c this morning here in Sigogne and everything is looking very crisp and white, and it is very cold! well it is for Southern French people :-)

2 weekends ago I was working in the garden in shorts and t-shirt, then bang the weather broke that weekend and winter arrived.

We have already burned more wood over the last 2 weeks that the whole of last winter!!

Cheers

FC

Huitesvents & Les Canals Glacé,

Have you seen this?:

Have just come across an excerpt from 'Le Midi Libre', a French newspaper circulated in Southern France and here there is an interesting article on what we could expect in 2050 with a number of videos giving simulated forecasts for some different world regions with additional ones on behalf of the IPCC.
I commend viewing:
http://www.midilibre.fr/2014/12/05/nimes-43-en-2050,1093525.php#xtor=EPR-2-[Newsletter]-20141207-[Zone_info]

I have just posted it in the Global warming Section but repeating it here to give you the opportunity of seeing it.

Edited by mike Meehan
  • Like 1

Hi Mike!

We could see these videos at the first national TV channel during the news at Thursday. It's really impressive these high temperatures in the totality of our country like in the heatwave of 2003. 

You're right frozencanals to highlight the minimal temperature this morning in the west of France. It's not every day we can observe this distribution of temperature...But, an extraordinary fact it's that in some cities, these frostes are the first or second of 2014! I remind you about our winter 2013-2014 are particulary sweat in France. Without surprise, these temperatures are often the minimal temperature of 2014.

Have a nice end of day.

temp_07_lsa9.png

• 2 weeks later...
Posted
  • Weather Preferences: An Alpine climate - snowy winters and sunny summers

The records continue to tumble. Meteo France post on their website today (translated using Google - I'm sure Eightwinds can translate more accurately!):

2014 the warmest year in France since 1900?

The annual average temperature in 2014 in France should exceed by more than 1.2 ° C normal (reference period 1981-2010), probably 2014 positioning at the forefront of the hottest years since 1900.....

http://www.meteofrance.fr/actualites?articleId=19501872

The records continue to tumble. Meteo France post on their website today (translated using Google - I'm sure Eightwinds can translate more accurately!):

2014 the warmest year in France since 1900?

The annual average temperature in 2014 in France should exceed by more than 1.2 ° C normal (reference period 1981-2010), probably 2014 positioning at the forefront of the hottest years since 1900.....

http://www.meteofrance.fr/actualites?articleId=19501872

From le Midi Libre 20.12.2014 - it says pretty well what you have said but goes into more detail about drought and the intense storms in the Med area:

16,5 °C. C'est la température moyenne globale qui sera enregistrée à Montpellier et Béziers pour l'année 2014. 

16,5 °C. C'est la température moyenne globale qui sera enregistrée à Montpellier et Béziers pour l'année 2014. Soit 1,3 °C ou 1,4 °C au-dessus de la "normale" (moyenne des trente années entre 1981 et 2010). La tendance est la même pour l'ensemble de la région. Les prochains jours, avec des prévisions encore très douces, indiquent que nous avons connu l'année la plus chaude depuis le début de relevés fiables sur l'Hérault, battant au passage les trois années précédentes les plus chaudes qui étaient 2011, 2003 et 1994.

2014, l'année la plus chaude depuis 1900

Avec une température moyenne annuelle qui devrait dépasser de plus de 1,2 degré la normale, 2014 sera "vraisemblablement" l'année la plus chaude depuis le début du XXe siècle, a indiqué Météo-France mercredi. "La quasi-totalité des mois ont présenté des températures nettement supérieures aux normales", précise l'organisme dans un "bilan climatique" encore provisoire de l'année, établi le 16 décembre.

"Ça va devenir l'année record", car le scénario d'une vague de froid durant les quinze derniers jours de décembre, qui ferait baisser la moyenne, "est hautement improbable", souligne Sébastien Léas, prévisionniste à Météo-France. Jusqu'à présent, "2011 détenait ce record avec une anomalie de température de +1,1 degré", rappelle-t-il à l'AFP. L'année 2003 est la troisième année la plus chaude depuis 1900, avec un dépassement de un degré, selon Météo-France.

Une tendance au réchauffement

"Depuis les années 2000, on a une tendance au réchauffement, avec des températures beaucoup plus chaudes que ce qu'on pouvait observer au début du XXe siècle. On a un réchauffement climatique qu'on ne peut pas nier", relève M. Léas. Ainsi, en France, "les 15 années les plus chaudes depuis 1900 ont toutes eu lieu durant les 25 dernières années, avec des pics, comme cette année, 2011 ou 2003", ajoute-t-il.

"On va effectivement vers une tendance au radoucissement, au réchauffement, mais ça ne veut pas dire que l'année prochaine sera une année chaude", souligne le prévisionniste. Selon lui, même si 2014 sera sans doute l'année la plus chaude depuis 1900, on ne peut pas parler "d'accélération" du réchauffement. Le diagnostic établi dans ce bilan provisoire "rejoint celui établi à l'échelle du continent européen", sous l'égide de l'Organisation météorologique mondiale (OMM), qui a annoncé que "2014 pourrait devenir l'année la plus chaude jamais observée en Europe", souligne Météo-France.

2014 année record en Europe et dans le monde

"Les dix années les plus chaudes observées à ce jour en Europe depuis le début du XXe siècle sont toutes postérieures à 2000, sauf 1989", précise M. Léas. L'OMM a elle aussi indiqué début décembre que les températures relevées entre janvier et octobre autour du globe, sur terre et mer, pourraient faire de 2014 l'année la plus chaude depuis 1880 dans le monde. Selon l'organisme mondial, cette hausse du mercure expliquerait en partie les pluies et inondations exceptionnelles observées cette année.

Des événements extrêmes fréquents difficiles à lier au réchauffement

Météo-France dresse dans son bilan une liste d'"événements remarquables" survenus cette année, citant notamment des "tempêtes à répétition en février sur le Nord-Ouest", une "sécheresse record dans le Nord-Est d'avril à juin", "un nombre record d'épisodes pluvieux intenses accompagnés d'inondations sur les régions méditerranéennes". Il se garde cependant d'établir un lien avec le réchauffement climatique. "On ne peut pas faire de lien entre la douceur et les intempéries (...) Ce serait un raccourci trop brutal de dire qu'à chaque hiver doux on va avoir de très fortes intempéries sur la Bretagne et sur la Normandie" par exemple, explique M. Léas. "Les mêmes causes n'ont pas les mêmes conséquences partout".

Posted
  • Location: Putney, SW London. A miserable 14m asl....but nevertheless the lucky recipient of c 20cm of snow in 12 hours 1-2 Feb 2009!
  • Location: Putney, SW London. A miserable 14m asl....but nevertheless the lucky recipient of c 20cm of snow in 12 hours 1-2 Feb 2009!

Extraordinary example of an inversion as my plane descended towards Geneva a little after 9 this morning (local time).

According to the video screen (which unfortunately up to that point had been showing Mr Bean, not the weather), at about **5200 ft the outside temp was +12C, despite a heavy frost visible everywhere between the Jura mountains and the lake. I thought at first it was an error, but as we dropped so did the temp - to 10C, then to 8C...and by the time we landed the reading was -2C (later confirmed on the ground).

Perhaps this is a commoner set-up than I realise, but I had no idea it could be so warm at that height during winter-time.

(**I presume this was above sea level - if so, Cointrin airport being about 1400 ft ASL, our actual height above the ground was probably more like 3500 ft.)

The tops of the Jura, incidentally, had as little snow on them as I can remember on any of the eight or ten occasions I have flown in to my sister's for Christmas.

• Like 2