Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

A massive reminder of last year..

Posted

Exciting stuff, I had a trip to Blackpool and had to crouch when a swirling squall swept through off the sea. it was AMAZING,  this year is boring me to death, I know most on here just want cold, and are relishing the charts that look like bringing just cold boring nothingness days :lazy:  , I want last year back , it was an excellent spell of interest for me , anybody agree, or am I a lone wolf 

Posted

Exciting stuff, I had a trip to Blackpool and had to crouch when a swirling squall swept through off the sea. it was AMAZING, this year is boring me to death, I know most on here just want cold, and are relishing the charts that look like bringing just cold boring nothingness days :lazy: , I want last year back , it was an excellent spell of interest for me , anybody agree, or am I a lone wolf

I live nearby to you and I'm baffled why you thought last winter was interesting at least locally.

Rainfall totals around here were not outstanding not like down south, infact they were much closer to average than record breaking and the gales we had and there weren't that many were nothing compare to some of the great gales we've had in the past, if you thought the gales last year were amazing, you should have seen those of late January and February 1990. Now that was an amazing spell of weather.

Edited by Weather-history
  • Like 1

Posted

I live nearby to you and I'm baffled why you thought last winter was interesting at least locally.

Rainfall totals around here were not outstanding not like down south, infact they were much closer to average than record breaking and the gales we had and there weren't that many were nothing compare to some of the great gales we've had in the past, if you thought the gales last year were amazing, you should have seen those of late January and February 1990. Now that was an amazing spell of weather.

I remember both from down here. At Portland both were severe, 1990 waves seemed to do more damage to property above the sea walls but last year seemed to do more damage to beach / seaward rocks. Interesting how wave shape and direction can make those differences. Some of the Dorset beaches have yet to recover their profile.

Posted

Yes it might have been interesting on the coast, but here it was just 3 months of nearly non stop rain (but no big daily totals) combined with a constant wind (but only one big gale, on 13-14 Feb) and temperatures nearly always between 5 and 8C. Very tedious.

For wind late Decmber 1997 and late Jan/early Feb 2002 were both more notable round here, as was the windiest day I can ever remember namely 20 March 2004.

Posted

i did a couple of trips to the coast and saw the force of what a tidal surge can do, spreading right across the prom and into side roads, quite a sight and a bit unnerving,  the waves were impressive,  and like I said when i squall came through we had to crouch for our own safety, and the hail was insane.

I agree locally the storms where mainly just branch swayers , apart from the one that the met issued a red warning, that was pretty wild here, a few trees down and I saw two power flashes in the sky from damaged overhead wires. was definatly not lightning

this year so far  zzzzzzzzzzzzz,   I do like the bright crisp days now and again, but in general stagnant cold weather and frost is not my thing

Posted
  • Location: Leeds/Bradford border, 185 metres above sea level, around 600 feet
  • Location: Leeds/Bradford border, 185 metres above sea level, around 600 feet

Here in Leeds i don't think the rainfall was remarkable last year. It was just a remarkably snowless (did fall, but none settled) mild and dull winter.