Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Model Output Discussion 1200 hrs 15/11/14

phil nw.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heat and Snow

ECM has also moved towards the GFS output this evening and has the ridge of warmer uppers hitting the UK next weekend as well:

attachicon.gifECM0-144-3.GIF  attachicon.gifECM1-144-17.GIFattachicon.gifECM0-168-4.GIFattachicon.gifECM0-192-2.GIF

Do we not get a North-Easterly at day 9 and 10 on the ECM

Edited by Polar Maritime
To remove impolite remark.
  • Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything

Do we not get a North-Easterly at day 9 and 10 on the ECM?.

The GFS and GEM support the warm uppers for next weekend so that looks like a good chance of verifying and if it does I suspect November will be the warmest month of the year on the CET anomaly, with a week to go. As for D9-10 from the ECM, I am sure you know my thoughts on those. Heres a clue; the last three runs have had a Greenland HIGH, UK HIGH and a Scandi HIGH.

Edited by Polar Maritime
To remove deleted quote.
  • Like 2

Posted

http://www.wetterzentrale.de/pics/Recm1682.gif - Hot Plume of air next weekend on ECM 12Z, I can bet you though it will not feel anything like it looks ;)

Wind strength will be key. A brisk wind and 17C not unthinkable. Light winds, and you may not even get 10C due to murkiness and fog. 

Edited by Polar Maritime
To remove double quoted post.

Posted

Would someone kindly post these 2 links

weatherbell model suite - covering the t2M anomalies over europe & NH that knocker posts

Also the ecm eps day 10-15 ens means that sk posts.

Nice ECM... Day 10 & 11 would feel very cold & a shock to the system as the cold feeds in from the east-

I think they are pay per view.

GEM spotted the warm plume first for next weekend and I have noted their high propensity to spot a synoptic, though they do tend to initially over egg it. 

Edited by i'm dreaming of...

Posted
  • Location: Derbyshire Peak District South Pennines Middleton & Smerrill Tops 305m (1001ft) asl.
  • Location: Derbyshire Peak District South Pennines Middleton & Smerrill Tops 305m (1001ft) asl.

The GFS and GEM support the warm uppers for next weekend so that looks like a good chance of verifying and if it does I suspect November will be the warmest month of the year on the CET anomaly, with a week to go. As for D9-10 from the ECM, I am sure you know my thoughts on those. Heres a clue; the last three runs have had a Greenland HIGH, UK HIGH and a Scandi HIGH.

Yes i'm dreaming, Another warm Month on the cards looking at the Models, How long can this continue for.. 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heat and Snow

You post day 16 GFS charts though, surely those are far worse?

Day 16 on the GFS yesterday:

gfsnh-2014111518-0-384.png?18

Day 16 today:

gfsnh-0-384.png?12

Edited by Barry95
  • Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow then clear and frosty.

No real sign of an Arctic block developing just yet with the vortex spread across the Polar regions.The Canadian lobe is still lurking and until that changes there will continue to be enough energy going across the north to prevent this.

We can see the push from those low heights to the north west even on the ECM which tends to favour ridging in the later frames.

Overall there appears to be a fairly even split in the jet  to our west around T144hrs.

This usually ends up with a mid-latitude high which has been modelled in the ens  for a few days and again in today's operationals. 

If looking for a change to a colder outlook this isn't  the worst pattern as the ECM illustrates.

I don't normally highlight later Op frames as we know how they can change by the next run but this at T240hrs just shows what i mean.

post-2026-0-25098800-1416165267_thumb.gipost-2026-0-31622500-1416165276_thumb.gi

A high at a fairly modest latitude but because of it's orientation brings a plunge of cold air into continental Europe around the top and down on the eastern flank-so some energy over the top can be beneficial in these circumstances.

For us to draw on that cold we would need that high further north or north west. but as it is we would likely cool at the surface if we pick up a SE or E drift off the continent anyway.

Still some upstream details to be decided but with a increasingly weak Atlantic jet profile there is every chance this block becoming more influential by next week end as low pressure systems split off to our west..

• Like 6

Posted

No uk highs in the last 3 runs....

Not withstanding the fact that you over analising day 10 charts, the ECM has been consistent in showing a high pressure ridging close to western Norway

Maybe you punt up what the gfs had for comparison .....

This morning's ECM D9-D10 chart: post-14819-0-34654300-1416166220_thumb.g post-14819-0-49174100-1416166184_thumb.g

Yes GFS is not brilliant at the moment as we go through this uncertain period of modelling. I was just responding to another post suggesting we would get a NE'ly at D9-10 with respect to the ECM.

• Like 3

Posted

Maybe the UKMO were talking more of upto T144hrs where the ECM performs best.

As this thread is most interested in colder synoptics we're probably more microscopic about it when it shows more amplitude past T168hrs, the ECM gets away with its odd AWOL moment because it remains ahead of the rest upto T144hrs.

I have to disagree with what the UKMO have put out, I've seen 99 percent of every single operational output from the NWP for the last ten years of winter months and more especially in recent winters the ECM has been often just as useless past T168hrs as the GFS.

...which is *precisely* why Exeter's M-R detailed guidance only ever goes out to T+132 (+144 was dropped a few years back). Beyond that, only ever broad-brush based on combination of EC/DECIDER & MOGREPS. Wisely so...

• Like 9

Posted

Indeed, very visible on the 0z ECM EPS mean too even out to day 15:

attachicon.gifday15h500ECM0z.png

Also using the very handy tool you guided towards yesterday, you can see the swing in the EPS over the last 24 hours towards this:

attachicon.giflowprobprev.png

12z Yesterday

attachicon.giflowprobcurr.png

0z Today

The suites at this range are far from infallible, but offers the best NWP insight available to us mere mortals.

SK

That 360 hr ensemble mean chart for the first day of winter will do nicely,and i dare say a decent

sized cold pool to our far East.

• Like 1

For us to draw on that cold we would need that high further north or north west. but as it is we would likely cool at the surface if we pick up a SE or E drift off the continent anyway.

Still some upstream details to be decided but with a increasingly weak Atlantic jet profile there is every chance this block becoming more influential by next week end as low pressure systems split off to our west..

Sorry to partially quote, but at the moment I am quite pleased at this evening charts, why some may ask, well things settling down with a bit more of drier weather, and that is a blessing in itself.

If this leads to some frosty weather overnight this is a bonus.

post-213-0-99525500-1416166590_thumb.png post-213-0-81565900-1416166595_thumb.png
  • Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and Cold! Winter :)

Best thing i can see on tonights models is that the polar vortex is still very much struggling right out to the end of the runs. This is a good trend as each time it has been shown to gather strength its failed to verify :)

Tonights ECM, GFS and GFS(P) at T240:

ECH1-240.GIF?16-0gfsnh-0-240.png?12gfsnh-0-240.png?12

Nice!

• Like 5

Posted

Indeed

WOW. Yes the talk should be about the anomalous warmth coming up. I am sure it has happened before but I have rarely seen such a warm anomaly in late November; that strong. Interesting to see how that will translate to 2m temps assuming all the models haven't gone schizo. Even the D9 and D10 ECM charts have +8 and +4 anomalous 850s over the UK.

post-14819-0-77832400-1416169000_thumb.gpost-14819-0-07314400-1416169010_thumb.gpost-14819-0-56516900-1416169019_thumb.g

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: The Actual Weather ..... not fantasy.

Yes i'm dreaming, Another warm Month on the cards looking at the Models, How long can this continue for..

Actually, thats quite telling. Theres no reason why it shouldn't continue indefinitely, on the other hand of course it might end this month.

Current runs suggest daily high records might be broken later this week, or at least threatened. IF we get a warm plume as some models suggest is possible.

Posted

WOW. Yes the talk should be about the anomalous warmth coming up. I am sure it has happened before but I have rarely seen such a warm anomaly in late November that strong. Interesting to see how that will translate to 2m temps assuming all the models haven't gone schizo. Even the D9 and D10 ECM charts have +8 and +4 anomalous 850s over the UK.

attachicon.gifECM100-168-3.GIFattachicon.gifECM100-216-2.GIFattachicon.gifECM100-240-3.GIF

Yes pretty amazing, just imagine the temps in the summer coming off that southerly flow. It looks marvellous down here with temps likely to hit 20c and perhaps more because of the fohn effect

I'm all for cold but maybe we should think of it as one last warm hurrah before the cold arrives, warm southerlies however are often precursors to easterlies, the straight southerly with high pressure is often indicative of deeper diggy troughing upstream, its this same dig that we need later on in the ECM output but much further west to help build a ridge ahead of the troughing at T168hrs.

• Like 7

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Enjoy the weather, you can't take it with you 😎

Tiny little steps for some cold  across the nation at day 10 and given the 12z suite Gfs /Ecm both yesterday and today show an evolution  to something like winter. But, before then, there are hills and rivers, and mountains to cross. Normal November murck on offer before then............. :closedeyes:

post-6830-0-21046400-1416169399_thumb.pn

post-6830-0-26450900-1416169431_thumb.pn

post-6830-0-96917100-1416169467_thumb.pn

post-6830-0-29151800-1416169531_thumb.pn

• Like 1

Posted

Actually, thats quite telling. Theres no reason why it shouldn't continue indefinitely, on the other hand of course it might end this month.

Current runs suggest daily high records might be broken later this week, or at least threatened. IF we get a warm plume as some models suggest is possible.

Here is the Reading epsgram of the ECM 12Z output - the high uppers do not reflect in surface temperatures but both deterministic and control are at the bottom of the range.

I've used an imgur link in case of copyright issues.

http://i.imgur.com/UId8M3x.gif

Edited by Nouska
  • Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot Summer, Snowy winter and thunderstorms all year round!

A couple of posts have just met their maker in internet oblivion, so just a friendly reminder to keep on topic, and friendly as well.........thanks

• Like 4