phil nw.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heat and Snow

Day 9 is far better than day 9 on the 06z

gfsnh-0-216.png?12gfsnh-0-228.png?6

Edited by Barry95
  • Like 4

Posted

Huge difference in NH profiles at day 8, this just shows all is to play for come the end of the month.

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Southerly tracking LPs, heavy snow. Also 25c and calm

I anticipate many more runs are needed over days and days to come to resolve it, but I like the tweaking going on,  One would think it has to go one way or another, but then I think of RJS and it won't make up its mind comment.  But having said I have made my mind up. :crazy:

BFTP

Edited by BLAST FROM THE PAST

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heat and Snow

The Weekend is looking pretty cool to me (with the exception of the SE coast)

gfs-1-72.png?12gfs-1-96.png?12

:cold:

Edited by Barry95

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer:sunny, some Thunder,Winter:cold & snowy spells,Other:transitional

Well by this time next week, the mildness of later this week and into the weekend will have been ushered away and banished from any coldie's thoughts as most of us will be positioned under a quieter spell of HP influence and much cooler surface Temperatures. Next question and by now deep FI even at this early stage, is just how far South and how vigorous does the meandering NH Jet wish to get by then. The NW to SE axis of said feature is a beauty to behold it must be stressed. As a result of this, just where can we expect to see any resultant Atlantic lows position themselves in relation to the tiny UK landmass. Favourably for some colder uppers to be dragged into the mix by day 7-10, just possibly I would say right now. The stubborn trough pattern at least, looks like finally losing its grip on this part of the world and we can certainly be thankful for that. However, a lot of dice need to be rolled before we can even talk about deep cold uppers or the slushy iced liquid stuff falling from the skies, my friends.   :friends:

Edited by gottolovethisweather
  • Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: The Actual Weather ..... not fantasy.

Certain posters have claimed that the Atlantic will win out for weeks now, by analyzing day 10-16 charts supposedly supporting there claims, it was the exact same with the Polar Vortex apparently getting stronger and more organized. It does confuse me that certain posters still seem to be unable to understand the fact that what the models are showing outside the unreliable time frame is not certain to happen, whether it be an Atlantic flow or an Easterly flow.   

yyyessss... (paxman stylee), thats what the charts were showing, (and still are) , therefore is as relevant to this forums discussion as the possible fi cold evolution the recent northern blocking was. .  it was of course, only a few days ago that we lost the direct atlantic flow, a flow that has seen the uk get rather wet in recent weeks.  even now the west is getting direct atlantic weather as a frontal system sweeps up from the southwest. so i dont see it so much as the 'atlantic winning out' , as the atlantic re-establishing dominance after a short interlude.

these charts for days 6 - 16 show an expected decline of the eastern block, and a strengthening   atlantic trough dominated pattern. of course it isnt certain, but with the uk's default setting being westerly it has to be a fairly possible outcome.

post-2797-0-89975200-1416414959_thumb.gi post-2797-0-28106800-1416414981_thumb.gi

Edited by mushymanrob
  • Like 4

Posted
  • Location: Derbyshire Peak District South Pennines Middleton & Smerrill Tops 305m (1001ft) asl.
  • Location: Derbyshire Peak District South Pennines Middleton & Smerrill Tops 305m (1001ft) asl.

The GFSP again looks very promising in it's signals. As the Atlantic battles with the block to our East.

The Jet has no option but to head South. Very meridional, Bringing the possibility of some very disturbed/stormy weather for the turn of the Month, On a chilly Pm flow, Giving the possibility of Snow over high ground and maybe Sleet to lower levels, It will certainly feel raw. A good start to Winter if this set-up rung true, Which i believe wont be far from the mark.

gfsnh-0-216.png?12gfsnh-5-240.png?12gfsnh-6-240.png?12

Edited by Polar Maritime
  • Like 6

Posted

yup looks like the very warm uppers have been squeezed out over the last few days for the weekend! ! At one point there was strong infact very strong agreement on +13 uppers but now they manage just about get to the 10 degree mark before fading away! !
  • Like 2

Posted

Certain posters have claimed that the Atlantic will win out for weeks now, by analyzing day 10-16 charts supposedly supporting there claims, it was the exact same with the Polar Vortex apparently getting stronger and more organized. It does confuse me that certain posters still seem to be unable to understand the fact that what the models are showing outside the unreliable time frame is not certain to happen, whether it be an Atlantic flow or an Easterly flow.   

What the 10-16 day charts, or at any rate, the 500mb anomaly charts are 'suggesting' note the caveat, that the Atlantic does seem more likely than a block east or NE of the UK. They can be wrong but maybe 3 out of 10 times compared to being close to the mark 7 out of 10 times IF they show consistency. As to what happens beyond 16 days, maybe out to 18-20 days a similar idea beyond that and I don't pretend to be able to say. One can look for possible ideas looking at MJO data along with AO and NAO but neither AO or NAO are especially reliable beyond about 7 days so the anomaly charts are as good as any for a 2 week outlook. The MJO is rather more reliable I find but got to confess I have not looked at this for a few days.

The MJO is currently in 2 with a prediction of going to 3 with a bit of amplitude so its 500mb comparisons are probably reasonable

links

http://www.americanwx.com/raleighwx/MJO/MJO.html

Edited by johnholmes
  • Like 6

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow then clear and frosty.

The GFSP again looks very promising again in it's signals. As the Atlantic battles with the block to our East.

The Jet has no option but to head South. Very meridional, Bringing the possibility of some very disturbed/stormy weather for the turn of the Month, On a chilly Pm flow. 

gfsnh-0-216.png?12gfsnh-5-240.png?12gfsnh-6-240.png?12

Yep the south east dig of the jet continues to be the main theme PM.

Although the Scandi. block ebbs and flows over a period it never disappears and is the reason why the Atlantic is not getting past the meridian so far.

There does appear to be a trend to ease the mean Atlantic trough position a little closer to us in a few days but that will bring some polar maritime air into the mix anyway,so it looks like we will see a cooler unsettled spell with the most rain in the west. 

The stand off continues in the overall pattern so while there's no early prospect of deep cold it's still a decent set up with the 00z ECM and this 12z GFS(p) showing further upstream amplification of the jet  in the higher resolution part of it's run. 

• Like 3

Posted

What the 10-16 day charts, or at any rate, the 500mb anomaly charts are 'suggesting' note the caveat, that the Atlantic does seem more likely than a block east or NE of the UK. They can be wrong but maybe 3 out of 10 times compared to being close to the mark 7 out of 10 times IF they show consistency. As to what happens beyond 16 days, maybe out to 18-20 days a similar idea beyond that and I don't pretend to be able to say. One can look for possible ideas looking at MJO data along with AO and NAO but neither AO or NAO are especially reliable beyond about 7 days so the anomaly charts are as good as any for a 2 week outlook. The MJO is rather more reliable I find but got to confess I have not looked at this for a few days.

The MJO is currently in 2 with a prediction of going to 3 with a bit of amplitude so its 500mb comparisons are probably reasonable

links

If the MJO is in 2 or 3 does that suggest Atlantic Storms for our part of the world in your opinion?

Posted

links

Thanks, John. The phase two > 1 composite that was posted on the winter thread. Very amplified in our area.

BTaVgn5.gif

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything

GFS P wet from D9-16 as lows move around the UK with fronts crossing on a daily basis:

post-14819-0-82439400-1416417028_thumb.p  post-14819-0-65898800-1416417037_thumb.p

Reminds me of last winter, so the possibility of extensive flooding if this run was close to verifying.

The Euro high gets pushed east and we get an Atlantic flow that turns cooler at the end of the run; cold rain time.

NH profile: post-14819-0-75376400-1416417224_thumb.p

GEM at D10 doesn't promise anything but a very wet period from the west: post-14819-0-75735500-1416417173_thumb.p

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm dry summers

Yep away from the far south it looks like Saturday could be quite chilly

GFS

96-580UK.GIF?19-12

GFS Para

96-580PUK.GIF?19-12

Which leads to a cold night widely

114-580PUK.GIF?19-12

:cold: :cold:

• Like 3

Posted

A quick glance at the GFS and P at T192 and the jet. Lows could wing along on the cold air side of this and do us no good at all.

Charts weatherbell.com

post-12275-0-33095500-1416418335_thumb.p

post-12275-0-35052800-1416418345_thumb.p

post-12275-0-84428100-1416418356_thumb.p

Edited by knocker
  • Like 2

Posted

A quick glance at the GFS and P at T192 and the jet. Lows could wing along on the cold air side of this and do us no good at all.

Yes a mix of Tm & Pm, But never a true Tm as from Polar regions as John alluded to. A possibility of some very stormy/unsettled weather on the way with flooding.

Edited by Polar Maritime
  • Like 2

Posted

http://www.wetterzentrale.de/pics/brack0.gif

Latest UKMO T+24 FAX is almost identical to previous run except that the occlusion over western UK is moved further west. So still some backtracking occurring even within a very short timescale.

• Like 4

Posted

ECM is stuck on 96 hours on Meteociel and 72 hours on wetterzentrale! 

What drama! Its a cliffhanger! I wouldn't have minded so much if it got to T120hrs before imploding.

• Like 2

Posted

Remembering here that the more that amplifies the more dig you'll see in upstream troughing.

do you not mean downstream?

• Like 2

Posted

What drama! Its a cliffhanger! I wouldn't have minded so much if it got to T120hrs before imploding.

good news is it looks kinda similar to the gfs at 96 hours so hopefully if and when the next frame updates it looks just as good as the gfs!!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm dry summers

ECM is going to be delayed this afternoon it got to t96 then stuck

From meteociel

The ECMWF / CEP server is unavailable, the data will be late. Thank you for your understanding.

ECMWF server is down. Data Will Be Late. Sorry for the inconvenience.

Edited by Summer Sun

Posted

Remembering here that the more that amplifies the more dig you'll see in upstream troughing.

do you not mean downstream?

Yes that's what I meant, that deep low over the Great Lakes is the key to downstream. Nice too see you're on the ball John!

• Like 1

Posted

C'mon ECMWF, you've kept us waiting... Be a stonker! 

I only want it to come out if it doesn't put a dampener on proceedings, otherwise it can stay crashed! I'm heartened by that UKMO output especially and don't need the ECM to do a Scrooge!

• Like 2