Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Model Output Discussion 1200 hrs 15/11/14

phil nw.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Northeasterly Blizzard and sub zero temperatures.

It *could*, but the west-v-east situation still unresolved (ahead of 12z output, at least) and clearly finely balanced, albeit a trend to slow mobility is their favoured outcome (the high level of uncertainty needs stressing). Whether the 12z suites offer more compelling evidence either way, we shall see.

Thanks for that information Ian. Probably wise not to look much beyond 144hours. Anyway makes for good viewing and always the possibility of the surprise elements.

C

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer:sunny, some Thunder,Winter:cold & snowy spells,Other:transitional

It *could*, but the west-v-east situation still unresolved (ahead of 12z output, at least) and clearly finely balanced, albeit a trend to slow mobility is their favoured outcome (the high level of uncertainty needs stressing). Whether the 12z suites offer more compelling evidence either way, we shall see.

Thank you and if you could kindly arrange it so that the inevitable Atlantic mobile pattern gets pushed back further by another day and another day over the following outputs, I suspect it would be most welcomed by many in here. :gathering:  At this rate, it may well be Winter (meteorologically speaking) before the breakdown arrives, if at all. :unknw:  Now for the reality check.

A few of us (myself included on occasion) could be getting ahead of ourselves with our excitement for cold solutions, but there is certainly plenty of scope for it to ocur in deep FI, I believe, so all is not lost. A milder end to the week and overall a drier picture for now is where its at within the reliable, at least IMBY.

On with the 12z outputs we go.  :clapping:

Edited by gottolovethisweather
  • Like 2

Posted

Early on and on the GFS 12z everything is that tiny bit more eastwards, so slow mobility at this point looks like happening need to wait a little longer to review all the models as they come out for the 12z

But could there be an undercut on this one?? (GFS 12Z?) = not likely 

Edited by Swave Snow

Posted

Difference already at 90 hours! ! 06z had low pressure centre West iceland whereas 12z has it way south west of iceland! ! Gfs parallel has high further west up to 60 hours

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: action weather

I would also like to echo other posters thoughts on any possible pattern change ,looking at all current charts Mild with typical late autumn weather for now .Then a possible battle between high pressure over central and some parts of northern europe probably taking place in about 5/6 days .over the last weeks there has been some very interesting charts on offer and also a lot of variation from day to day ,I would not be surprised to see some Tasty charts appearing tonight and over the coming few days ,I have always said we have a Great forum here on Net weather and its great when we get input from professionals and experienced posters . :gathering: STellas all round  :drinks:

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: cold ,snow

Interesting the waa going into greeland at 138hrs and slightly higher pressure.may be nothing but there none the less

Posted

Unbelievable!

FI starts at T96hrs, UKMO at T96hrs:

post-1206-0-00202400-1416327002_thumb.gi

GFS at T96hrs:

post-1206-0-90203800-1416327020_thumb.pn

This makes such a difference as to how far ne that high to the sw might ridge later ahead of the upstream troughing, the GFS has moved towards the ECM 00hrs but the UKMO refuses to back down.

The GFS has now a deeper low over the USA which will interact with the PV, for newbies if you're interested in why this is important I posted on this earlier, post 474. It might still be close but no cigar with this GFS run but its still a step in the right direction.

Edited by nick sussex
  • Like 6

Posted

It has always been an issue with trying to forecast with the Atlantic trying to break down a surface high and upper ridge to our east or NE. Neither human trying to do a forecast for 24-72 hours ahead nor any model at time scales beyond 48-72 have yet overcome this issue. Why we cannot remains a mystery, as both work on basic physics. Cold air is dense and usually associated with the surface high and is almost always hard to shift.One day maybe the models will be able to give a better feeling for what is likely. Refer to the 500mb charts for what pattern any of the models are suggesting, ignore the surface until they show similarities. That is assuming the 500mb charts are showing consistency with time and one another.

Edited by johnholmes
  • Like 7

Posted

Looks like tamaras post earlier maybe not far off the mark here.Amazing isnt it you get the low slipping south but the heights to the north andeast have moved away.oh well roll on ecm i guess

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything

Looks like tamaras post earlier maybe not far off the mark here.Amazing isnt it you get the low slipping south but the heights to the north andeast have moved away.oh well roll on ecm i guess

Yes consistent output now. Even with changes in short wave variables, timings and positionings of ridges and troughs, the long wave pattern remains predictably stable. At D10 the stand off remains between the block and Atlantic. The main area of uncertainty is the boundaries and surface conditions due to the messy nature of the UK being caught in no mans land between these competing forces. GFS op and Parallel along with GEM all very similar in the over all Synoptics. At D10 we have a strong pulse of lower heights descending on the UK from the NW and FI maybe from here, as to how the models deal with that:

D10: post-14819-0-03603300-1416329677_thumb.p post-14819-0-34000300-1416329690_thumb.p post-14819-0-11349600-1416329700_thumb.p

Though I don't see a short cut to anything cold from here.

Edited by i'm dreaming of...
  • Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: The Actual Weather ..... not fantasy.

The Easterlies that COULD appearer on the 12z........ I think the poster is making the point that the 384 hours chart changes all the time.

d'oh...i knew i wasnt reading it right... cheers for that.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Northeasterly Blizzard and sub zero temperatures.

You have heard from Ian and the experience of John Holmes. A high level of uncertainty in this type of set up (ie) West v East. Beyond 144 hours forecast models low confidence. Interesting forecast period to evolve.

C

• Like 6

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: extremes

but the overall trend is a rinse and repeat as tamaras post suggested and although we are in a stalemate there really is not alot to be excited about and am finding it difficult to work out how and where the cold train comes from.

its not east and it would have to be something super extreme from the west maybe a nw but that will only be any good to the nw we have no greenland block and a polar vortex where we dont want it and its all rather messy if you ask me and possible states get the best of it again with record cold.

and we get the soggy wet windy.

the gem upgrade throws out this gem-0-240.png?12

ukmo is heading towards a flat zonal and complete flattening of the heights to our east.

UW144-21.GIF?18-18

gfs to wants to play the zonal game really nothing to be excited about and the concern is that last year this lasted all winter.

gfs-0-144.png?12

couple that with every long range weather model going for average to above average then i really dont see the excitement,

• Like 1

Posted

Agreed here. I wouldn't be surprised to see the whole pattern back further and further west as we enter and progress throughout Dec....Bit by bit

Could i ask you why?Thanks in advance

• Like 1

Posted
  • Location: Derbyshire Peak District South Pennines Middleton & Smerrill Tops 305m (1001ft) asl.
  • Location: Derbyshire Peak District South Pennines Middleton & Smerrill Tops 305m (1001ft) asl.

As i mentioned this morning, It does look like the Low may drop S/E drawing a cool Pm N/Wly and possibly cut-off over the UK giving us a better chance of a colder feed from the East N/E. But with such high uncertainty 'which usually marks the sign of a pattern change' We have some very interesting Model watching coming up over the next few days. Better already than of all last Winter alone. 

gfsnh-0-276.png?12gfsnh-5-312.png?12gfsnh-0-312.png?12

Edited by Polar Maritime
  • Like 7

Posted

I've just had to delete some post's, Please keep on topic and be polite  :)

Thanks, PM

Posted

As i mentioned this morning, It does look like the Low may drop S/E drawing a cool Pm N/Wly and possibly cut-off over the UK giving us a better chance of a colder feed from the East N/E. But with such high uncertainty 'which usually marks the sign of a pattern change' We have some very interesting Model watching coming up over the next few days. Better already than of all last Winter alone. 

gfsnh-0-276.png?12gfsnh-5-312.png?12gfsnh-0-312.png?12

You have hit the nail on the head

It is much better than last year and we are only mid November

• Like 5