Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Model Output Discussion 1200 hrs 15/11/14

phil nw.

Posted

Weatherbell's licence with ECM precludes re-distribution except for WMO-Essential. They haven't complained according to Ryan Maue when I asked for clarification on the issue.

Edited by knocker

Posted

FI has no raging PV. no cold in the next few weeks but much to play for mid dec onwards.

• Like 1

Posted

Weatherbell's licence with ECM precludes re-distribution except for WMO-Essential. They haven't complained according to Ryan Maue when I asked for clarification on the issue.

Interesting knocker - I just assumed that their notice re posting must have had a catalyst ? Maybe they didn't complain but reminded their license holders in general about reproduction of restricted output. that's more subtle!

Posted

Interesting knocker - I just assumed that their notice re posting must have had a catalyst ? Maybe they didn't complain but reminded their license holders in general about reproduction of restricted output. that's more subtle!

I think it did. I don't remember the details but some wag in the States produced some of the charts on his web page and made some erronius forecast that caused a certain amount of mayhem. There was more to it than that but those are the bear bones. RM was not amused but he seems a very easy going and helpful guy whenever I have emailed him. I did ask him why not the METO global. Answer quite simple. Cost.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heat and Snow

FI has no raging PV. no cold in the next few weeks but much to play for mid dec onwards.

Highs of just 4C possible on Tuesday widely, which is cold. Could also be snow for Scotland.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot and Thundery, Cold and Snowy

One thing that is very good to see, is the imminent looking cold that looks to set in stone over Europe in the coming week or so. 

In the next few days, we could see massive changes/swings in the models in handling the high pressure close by to the UK. One slight shift Northward could place us in a cold frigid Easterly flow, 500 miles further South, then it could be nothing! 

Things can change ever so quickly though. 

One minute you can have as mild as this :

post-17277-0-25153400-1417136935_thumb.g

To this:

post-17277-0-25964000-1417137105_thumb.g

All in the space of a week! Which then went on to bring the most snowiest winter on record! 

Edited by East_England_Stormchaser91
  • Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: wintry the better

Looks like Shannon is still with us, quite big changes at day 6 on the 18z

gfsnh-0-144.png?18gfsnh-2014112712-0-144.png?12

Much better for coldies!

I'm sorry what is a "Shannon" ?

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and warm in the Summer, cold and snowy in the winter, simples!

Morning all.

GFS at least firming up on a double dip with cold PM air albeit they are fairly brief affairs.

gfsnh-0-108.png?0gfsnh-1-108.png?0

gfsnh-0-174.png?0gfsnh-1-180.png?0

That would at least provide something worthwhile for high ground in the North and give a seasonal feel to the weather with more settled weather and night frosts possible in between.

No doubt the GEM run will be the real eye opener though with a prominent Atlantic ridge forming up with the Arctic high which has come from nowhere really and seems unlikely but the possibility of such changes does exist while an Arctic high is in the mix as the models have difficulty with them. Also though the upstream pattern being so amplified has also not been modeled before so we will have to see if any of the other models hint at such an outcome or if it appears in the ensembles.

gemnh-0-180.png?00

EDIT

Just had a browse through GFS ensembles and the vast majority have the Azores high ridging in over the UK though one or two do go with Atlantic ridge but not to the same extent as GEM. The only one that resembles it with similar amplification upstream was p1.

gensnh-1-1-180.png?0

Edited by Mucka

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and frost in the winter. Hot and sunny, thunderstorms in the summer.

Day 6 charts

UKMO

UN144-21.GIF?28-06

GEM

gemnh-0-144.png?00

GFS

gfsnh-0-144.png?0

Parallel

gfsnh-0-144.png?0

The UKMO and certainly the GEM try to attract that Arctic high towards Greenland with a potential extended ridge allowing colder air to try and shift south west from the pole. The GFS and parallel are not interested in this. The key seems to be how amplified the upstream ridge is.

The GFS ensembles tend to favour the high staying towards Siberia with an associated ridge, this isn't ideal for us as the polar vortex just spins around to the north/north west of us with pressure remaining fairly high, especially so in the south. Lets see what the ECM can chuck out.

• Like 1

Posted

I think this forum may wake up much happier this morning, GEM and now ECM pushing WAA up towards Greenland meeting with the Arctic high. ECM showing straight Northerlies by day 8.

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter synoptics.Hot summers.

Day 6 charts

UKMO

UN144-21.GIF?28-06

GEM

gemnh-0-144.png?00

GFS

gfsnh-0-144.png?0

Parallel

gfsnh-0-144.png?0

The UKMO and certainly the GEM try to attract that Arctic high towards Greenland with a potential extended ridge allowing colder air to try and shift south west from the pole. The GFS and parallel are not interested in this. The key seems to be how amplified the upstream ridge is.

The GFS ensembles tend to favour the high staying towards Siberia with an associated ridge, this isn't ideal for us as the polar vortex just spins around to the north/north west of us with pressure remaining fairly high, especially so in the south. Lets see what the ECM can chuck out.

Welcome back winter

http://www.meteociel.fr/modeles/ecmwf/runs/2014112800/ECH0-192.GIF?28-12

http://www.meteociel.fr/modeles/ecmwf/runs/2014112800/ECH1-192.GIF?28-12

We have sorely missed you. :good:

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and frost in the winter. Hot and sunny, thunderstorms in the summer.

ECM shifts the Arctic high in a similar manner to the GFS (drains it towards Siberia), but it does offer enough upstream amplification to deliver a brief northerly. Day 9 looks like a toppler but I suspect the next low will dive south east as the high retreats westwards.

ECH1-216.GIF?28-12

ECH1-240.GIF?28-12

Too early in my view but look for an evolution similar to this later in December.

Edited by Captain shortwave
  • Like 5

Posted

A general comment on the ECM monthly update keeping in mind MH's previous comments.

T240 has the Atlantic HP dominating and extending upstream into N. America with a trough pole/Scandinavia/Europe. HP over the Pole and trough eastern Pacific and NE Canada. It should perhaps be noted the sub-tropical jet has put in an appearance in the eastern Pacific at the moment for the first time for four years.

The next week amplification of the HP N. America and the opposite for the Pole. Zonal Atlantic flow with a trough north of the UK and removal of same Scandinavia with an increase in heights north eastern Europe.

Thisis  basically the scenario for the last two weeks, remembering that detail is missing.

On the surface this translates to a lessening influence of the Atlantic HP, a zonal flow with depressions centred Greenland.Iceland area.

Temps hovering around the average and no sign of any cold incursion.

• Like 1

Posted

A quick look at the GEFS anomaly. Chart shows T144 and from then onwards a flattening of the Meridional flow, and removal of the NE European trough.leaving the N/S Atlantic split. Essentially this a continuation of tha Atlantic HP with depression nipping around it to the north on the jet.

Chart courtesy weatherbell

post-12275-0-02871300-1417159162_thumb.p

Edited by knocker

Posted

The ECM shows an improved picture upstream with just enough amplification to make things a bit more interesting, however the GFS and GFS P are flat and even flatter with troughing over the ne  USA .

It's quite a hard slog really to get from T168 to T192hrs on the ECM, however at face value it could get even a bit more interesting if we could squeeze just a little bit more amplification at that timeframe but theres always that nagging doubt with the ECM and this more amplified scenario .

At T144hrs it does have some upstream support from the UKMO  but the key really is what happens between T168hrs and T192hrs.

More amplified the ridge topples even more favourably, flatter the energies phase to the north so its very much on a knife edge.

PS just seen the GEM which even me the optimist can't see happening! Of course I'd love to be  wrong but I have little faith in the GEM operational output.

Edited by nick sussex
  • Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything Extreme

I tend to look at the ensembles to get some sort of consistency at this time of year, I've noticed that after a slow decrease in the 850 Uppers, they are starting to trend back upwards again. 

Below is the ensembles for Derbyshire, which is about as close as you're gonna get to ''Middle Britain'' , why people are forever posting the London ensembles and thinking it's indicative of the rest of the UK i'll never know. 

t850Derbyshire.png

So after a short time of a few days of below average temperatures, presumably as transient north westerly's fall on the leading edge of any incoming High pressure cells.

Worth looking to see where the Jet stream is too, and not surprisingly it's well North of the UK from early next week onward and tends to stay that way throughout the run, going over the High pressure(s). 

hgt300.png

So more seasonable next week for sure and finally some respite from the rain...that will do me for now. 

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and cold

A fairly typical setup showing on most models with low pressure crossing well to the North of UK leaving us in a Westerly flow with brief colder incursions. The only glimmer of hope being offered is on the GEM model at T192. The ECM brings a brief Northerly but this relies on sufficient amplification upstream which needs to be shown on other models too in the next few runs.

Edited by prolongedSnowLover
  • Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Southerly tracking LPs, heavy snow. Also 25c and calm

gem-0-186.png?00

Spot on!  Just as an aside, this is kind f what I envisioned ......and believe may still happen 

BFTP

• Like 7

Posted

Hi all, newbie here.Have no idea on reading weather charts but hope to gain some knowledge from your excellent informative posts on here.thanks in advance.E.W.

welcome and don't be afraid to ask questions, also have a look at the Net Wx Guides area, lots of information in there

• Like 1

Posted

Still no indication from the METO of any potential Northerly blasts so I'd be surprised if the next run of ECM or GEM show this. I wonder if the early snow cover and strat warming may be starting to effect the Northern hem though, rapid changes in charts/medium term forecasts can happen at this time of year.

Posted

I'm sorry what is a "Shannon" ?

Shannon Entropy - it's basically a measure of confidence.

High Shannon Entropy values = low confidence.

There's a really complicated Wikipedia article about it but that's the gist of it.

Anyone please feel free to correct me if I'm wrong!

• Like 4