Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Model Output Discussion 1200 hrs 15/11/14

phil nw.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and frost in the winter. Hot and sunny, thunderstorms in the summer.

Good consensus between the ECM and GFS ensembles for heights to become positions somewhere in the northern Europe/Scandinavia region.

EDM1-168.GIF?16-12

EDM1-240.GIF?16-12

GFS

gens-21-1-168.png?0

gens-21-1-240.png?0

Week one looks near normal until later in the week where temperatures could rise to above or well above average. Week 2 sees the Azores high build over the top of a cut off low and then positions itself similar to now. This potentially could see a rather chilly south easterly develop which could end November on a rather cold note. Not cold enough for snow but cold enough to bring widespread frosts in any clearer spells. We will have to see what type of high sets up. Certainly hoping for a sunny one.

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: The Actual Weather ..... not fantasy.

Alot of talk of easterlies and sliders, not sure why the excitement at that as things stand, a glance at any of the upper air profiles on any current run shows that its not particually cold.

post-2797-0-12554000-1416127471_thumb.gi

however many great cold spells of the past came after a benign anticyclonic spell and as long as theres high close by then a cold evolution might happen in the future.

but for now the anomaly charts suggest some sort of easterly high ridging north, atlantic low stalled to our west  is the likely general pattern for days 6 - 10.

post-2797-0-37727300-1416127758_thumb.gi post-2797-0-64634700-1416127742_thumb.gi

it appears the ecm anomaly is off on one, it has no support from anywhere else that i can see. and although statistically the ecm is the best performing model, it is prone to some pretty dramatic wild changes. it isnt always right, even after a spell of consistency, exactly like the gfs or ukmo.

so on the face of it this morning, its looking like we might slowly dry out (that must suit everyone but ducks!) or at least become less wet after midweek as a rather gloomy spell (as overnight temps dont look frosty im guessing there is likely to be alot of cloud = gloomy) as the euro-high becomes dominant. theres a possibility of a mild southerly depicted on some runs recently, and no cold evolution yet although others have suggested a possible path to it.

Edited by Polar Maritime
To remove off topic reverences.
  • Like 6

Posted

the ECM ens are again happy to send low anomalys into europe to our south beyond next weekend. this means there is an average chance of advecting some low uppers from the east into the mix of any blocking. Thereafter, we have signs on both gefs and extended ECM ens that there is a decent chance of heights rises Iceland/Greenland (not Northern Greenland). without having spreads available on extended ECM, it's tricky to work out any direction of travel but I would end this post by saying that the ens no longer preclude winter arriving by months end.

• Like 8

Posted

An unusually precise ECM day 10 ensemble mean this morning with the high centered just NE of the UK feeding in an increasingly cool continental flow.

I wonder what those 00z dutch ensembles look like?

Plenty of activity on Moscow ensemble watch as well. :)

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: winter: cold spells, summer: (thunder)storms

An unusually precise ECM day 10 ensemble mean this morning with the high centered just NE of the UK feeding in an increasingly cool continental flow.

I wonder what those 00z dutch ensembles look like?

attachicon.gifEDM1-240.GIF

Plenty of activity on Moscow ensemble watch as well. :)

attachicon.gifMT8_Moskau_ens (1).png

As you can see, there's an increasing amount of members going for colder weather.

Yesterday evening:

b9gax5.png

Compared to the one this morning:

14idixg.png

• Like 7

Posted

the ECM ens are again happy to send low anomalys into europe to our south beyond next weekend. this means there is an average chance of advecting some low uppers from the east into the mix of any blocking. Thereafter, we have signs on both gefs and extended ECM ens that there is a decent chance of heights rises Iceland/Greenland (not Northern Greenland). without having spreads available on extended ECM, it's tricky to work out any direction of travel but I would end this post by saying that the ens no longer preclude winter arriving by months end.

Hi BA, am I correct in saying that it was the ECM that teased us with the promise of lower heights into Europe last winter, only for it never to come to fruition ?

Posted
  • Location: Caterham-on-the-hill, Surrey, 190m asl (home), Heathrow (work)
  • Location: Caterham-on-the-hill, Surrey, 190m asl (home), Heathrow (work)

A very strong westerly jet stream emerging out of NE Canada/New Foundland by day 10 on 06 GFS op, which tends to flatten out any attempts of a ridge over NE Atlantic/N Europe as it pushes east.

Interestingly, the 00z GFS Parallel had a similarly strong jet emerging oout of NE Canada around day 10, but with the Euro block/ridge north further west over the UK, the jet is bifuricated well away from the UK.

Difficult to get one's head round where the block will position and how this will displace the upper westerlies energy coming off the North Altantic. Block too far east or southeast and UK at the mercy of the Atlantic energy, or block just north and northeast and the jet goes up or under or both away from the UK. NWP never great at handling blocks IMO, so lots of rollercoasting to come!

Edited by Nick F
  • Like 3

Posted

Hi BA, am I correct in saying that it was the ECM that teased us with the promise of lower heights into Europe last winter, only for it never to come to fruition ?

Dont recall but the difference here is blocking in our vicinity which we didn't see last winter - modelled or actual! The point I'm making is low heights to our south raise the chances of western advection of any cold that drops into the block over to our east. At the moment, there is no deep cold in any blocking although late November under a continental flow will feel decidedly chilly.

I suspect there are many clusters at the moment in week 2 and we need to wait a few days for the primary one to cone to the fore.

Posted

At first glance, the model output may not look as good as last night but a look at the De Bilt temps shows a strengthening signal for colder options. I've used max temps rather than minimums as we know nights will be cold under high pressure - the days can be variable.

12Z     lG64a97.png

00Z    AQOS3Oc.png

• Like 6

Posted

Dont recall but the difference here is blocking in our vicinity which we didn't see last winter - modelled or actual! The point I'm making is low heights to our south raise the chances of western advection of any cold that drops into the block over to our east. At the moment, there is no deep cold in any blocking although late November under a continental flow will feel decidedly chilly.

I suspect there are many clusters at the moment in week 2 and we need to wait a few days for the primary one to cone to the fore.

Thanks BA. Well, after viewing the GFS 06z parallel, I am as confused as the models right now! Hope this jet streak from GFS at day 10 that nick f alludes to is a red herring.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything

Thanks BA. Well, after viewing the GFS 06z parallel, I am as confused as the models right now! Hope this jet streak from GFS at day 10 that nick f alludes to is a red herring.

Last week GFS and other models over done the Atlantic, then they went towards a middle ground of a SW to NE jet, yesterday and on the 0zs then went with MLB-HLB. Shannon Entropy in all her splendor. It is apparent the models are struggling with the current setup. Logic says the Atlantic should barrel through with maybe some initial fight from the sceuro high; and if they have overdone the Azores ridging then this will happen. The 06z's show repeated attempts at the Atlantic/Azores ridge to build NE but it succumbs each time to the lower heights to the NW. The timing and the phasing of those lower heights maybe the determining factor but it's a multi faceted jigsaw puzzle so pure guesswork at the moment. The T180 mean of the 06z shows that the suite has flipped on the Azores ridging to mid-latitude:

post-14819-0-76356300-1416136660_thumb.p

I am not a fan of the 06z so a watching brief from me.

• Like 2

Posted

Noticed yesterday evening that an easterly drift had come to my location - and that is pretty close in timing to what ECM first showed on 6 November for 9 or 10 days out.  So kudos to ECM's model for that - remarkable consistency in the uncertain circumstances.

• Like 1

Posted

Very pertinent post by Nick a bit further back in this thread this morning.

There does appear to be a more than just a hint that at around D10 a very strong looking jetstream will be emerging off the NE seaboard heading directly East. The point of resistance will lead to it becoming dissipated and more meridional but exactly how/where/% split etc will likely help shape whether or not we get our first cold spell of the winter at the end of the month.This is going to lead to some 'interesting' charts in the coming days I supect, from one end of the eye candy spectrum to the other. The rollercoaster is just leaving the station!

Edited by s4lancia

Posted

Very pertinent post by Nick a bit further back in this thread this morning.

There does appear to be a more than just a hint that at around D10 a very strong looking jetstream will be emerging off the NE seaboard heading directly East. The point of resistance will lead to it becoming dissipated and more meridional but exactly how/where/% split etc will likely help shape whether or not we get our first cold spell of the winter at the end of the month.This is going to lead to some 'interesting' charts in the coming days I supect, from one end of the eye candy spectrum to the other. The rollercoaster is just leaving the station!

Yesterday I mentioned all attention should be on events on the other side of the atlantic as this is key to shaping longer term developments over our neck of the woods. In the short-medium term we have an amplification of the long wave trough across the western atlantic seaboard which will have the knock on effect of propping up heights to our east and allowing them to advect westwards and crucially feedbacking warm air advection to the west of Greenland, but for the chance of a colder evolution setting up thereafter, much depends on the interaction, position and strength of the Jetstream - there are differing scenarios here, we either maintain a split jet flow which would probably result in high pressure sitting overhead or just to the north of the UK and we are then at the mercy of its power, if more energy is transferred into the southern arm of the jet, this would enable heights to retrogress NW resulting in a major cool down of eastern and northeastern Europe, with scandi trough formation, more energy in the northern arm and it all depends on the position, this could result in a long draw easterly, or it could simply result in a collapsed high and a return to westerly airstream, another scenario is that we see a meridional jet streak flow with energy in the northern arm, but if heights are strong enough over and to our NW, forcing the jet to take a more northerly looped path could thereafter result in major scandi trough formation and a cold attack from the NE this would happen if we continue to see a weak PV lobe across western Greenland and continuation in an amplified flow.

Lots of options, but many do point to the chances of a colder evolution occurring as higher than average.

• Like 6

Posted

Rather than the mist clearing this morning the reverse has happened with a fog bank of uncertainty!

The output upstream is all over the place, and even at T96hrs we have disagreement with how west the ridge extends, the differences being in terms of phasing or not phasing of some low heights with the troughing over Greenland.

So a little mini battle here between the GFS/UKMO against the ECM.

We do know that some de-amplification will occur upstream but how quick this happens and whether its a case of just less amplified rather than flat is still open to question, comments from NCEP suggest they are going for a slower de-amplification:

WPC MEDIUM RANGE SURFACE FRONTS/PRESSURES AND 500 MB PROGS ARE
PRIMARILY DERIVED FROM A BLEND OF 70% 12 UTC ECMWF ENSEMBLE MEAN
AND 30% 18 UTC GFS ENSEMBLE MEAN. THESE REASONABLY CONSISTENT
MEANS OFFER DECENT CONTINUITY COMPARED TO RUN TO RUN VARIABILITY
ISSUES INHERENT TO THE LATEST DETERMINISTIC MODELS AT MID-SMALLER
SCALES. THIS WPC SOLUTION THOUGH SEEMS TO OFFER ABOVE AVERAGE
PREDICTABILITY WITH THE MID-LARGER SCALE FLOW EVOLUTION OVER THE
NEXT WEEK AND LEANS ON THE SLIGHTLY SLOWER SIDE OF THE FULL
ENVELOPE OF SOLUTIONS WITH RESPECT TO LATER WEEK TRANSITION FROM
HIGH AMPLITUDE GIVEN UPSTREAM WATER VAPOR LOOPS AND RECENT PATTERN
HISTORY.

I think a sticking point in terms of a quicker and less stressful route for cold lovers here is the output at T144hrs and what happens to that shortwave in the Atlantic which sits between the ridge to the west and higher pressure to the east, we really wanted to see this forced se but we lack the upstream amplification that would help here, the UKMO although most amplified blows this shortwave up and the tilt of this is not condusive to the undercut, however given the volatility of the output we should assume that this will probably change by this evening!

Overall a confusing picture, you can make a case for different scenarios from mid latitude block to cold east/ne flow.

Show me an undercut at T144hrs and I'd go for the colder scenario, as it is it looks like this route to possible cold might well take the scenic route with quite a few steps along the way!

Or maybe not, who knows what tonights outputs might deliver....

• Like 8

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: extremes

you could not make it up last night everyone was getting rather excited but as a few top posters suggested watch out and although most certainly no alantic onslaught there is some very mild air coming up from africa going to feel balmy but at night if skys clear fog and frost is a feature and if fog sicks around then could be cold.

tbh its a stale mate colder air is getting into europe but its not enough just yet across the board theres south easterly and southerly flow but its a big difference from last nights charts and daytime temps will be fairly balmy at time judging on the southerly flow shown on almost all the models. 

Edited by Polar Maritime
To remove the term as to avoid confusion..
  • Like 1

Posted

Nothing wrong with enjoying the good charts that were on show but as they were all ten days away, nobody would expect them to verify.

Looking through the 06Z ensemble suite, nothing really has changed since last night. There is potential for a pretty cold easterly around the end of the month, but its only potential. I wouldn't also be too quick to assume that we are due 'balmy' weather. Remember that the wind flow doesn't follow the isobars exactly, so what actually looks like a deep draw southerly could be bringing some coolish air off the near continent as we are now into the 2nd half of November.

Edited by Polar Maritime
To remove deleted quote.
  • Like 4

Posted

you could not make it up last night everyone was ramping and rather excited but as a few top posters suggested watch out and although most certainly no alantic onslaught there is some very mild air coming up from africa going to feel balmy but at night if skys clear fog and frost is a feature and if fog sicks around then could be cold.

tbh its a stale mate colder air is getting into europe but its not enough just yet across the board theres south easterly and southerly flow but its a big difference from last nights ramps and daytime temps will be fairly balmy at time judging on the southerly flow shown on almost all the models. 

The charts the 18z threw out were more than realistic with HP being forecast by more than one model and it was eye candy we haven't seen for nearly two winters. I think people on here are sensible enough to know they might be gone in the morning.....and they were BUT the trend is still there for HP to around our area and as we know that could move anywhere in time

Edited by Polar Maritime
To remove deleted quote.
  • Like 4

Posted
  • Location: Derbyshire Peak District South Pennines Middleton & Smerrill Tops 305m (1001ft) asl.
  • Location: Derbyshire Peak District South Pennines Middleton & Smerrill Tops 305m (1001ft) asl.

Can we please continue to discuss 'Model Output', There are other threads for Met further outlook.

Many Thanks, PM