Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Weather-history

BBC TV and radio listings from yesteryears.

I don't know if this has been posted before but I stumbled across this of TV and radio listings from the Radio Times from 1923-2009

http://genome.ch.bbc.co.uk

I have been browsing through it remembering programmes I haven't seen for ages. You can even search for specific TV programmes if you can't remember the year.

They sure don't make Saturday TV like they used to. Live and Kicking, Grandstand, Generation Game, Noel's House Party ... (looking at 1996)

Pages from CEEFAX, lol. Who remembers pages from CEEFAX and the accompanying poxy music?

Even as late as early October 1986, this was a BBC one schedule.

Pages from CEEFAX schedule

6.00 to 6.50

9.35 to 10.30

In between was Play School?! Any idea why that specific time?

10.50 to 13.00

13.45 to 15.10

Look at it now, 24 hour TV.

^^play school was midmorning for children too young for school, and it gave any parents taking someone else to school a chance to get back in time to see it.

also that mornings playschool was repeated in mid afternoon..(playschool was 1964-1988)..

daytime tv changed in October 1986 when bbc1 decided to fill in the rest of the schedule with stuff like neighbour.. (oct 27th 1986), and gameshows likegoing for gold. and open air which was a consumer magazine style programme. which had a young eammon holmes as a presenter.

Remember all too well only having three channels to watch and it not being 24/7 either.

Saturday afternoons were a mare as it was swallowed up with sport (mainly football), why I read a lot or went outside to play instead, blessing really.

Just checked the listings for Saturday November 23rd 1963 - the day after Kennedy's assassination, a day I vividly remember because I heard about it on a crystal set I built after coming home from school.

5:15pm The very first Dr. Who: An Unearthly Child

5:40 The Telegoons 

5:55 News and weather

6:05 Juke Box Jury

6:35 Dixon of Dock Green

7:20 Wells Fargo

8:10 The Saturday Film 

9:35 Comedy Playhouse

10:05 News and Sport

10:20 That Was The Week That Was

Sixties TV was amazing

Compare that with the s**t that passes for televisual entertainment in the brave, new 21st Century.   :bad:

Explains why I don't have a TV nor licence.

Remember all too well only having three channels to watch and it not being 24/7 either.

Saturday afternoons were a mare as it was swallowed up with sport (mainly football), why I read a lot or went outside to play instead, blessing really.

When TV restarted in 1946 after the end of WWII there was just one BBC channel on 405 lines on VHF Band I until 1955 when ITV started transmitting on Band III.  BBC2 first aired on 625 line UHF in 1964.  A UHF aerial on the chimney was a bit of a status symbol back then.  The first colour transmissions began in 1967.  The first experimental colour test transmissions in the early Sixties used the American NTSC system, but in the event we finally chose the German PAL system.

Ah yes. The light programme 1952, Dick Barton - Special Agent. Magic.

Not much has changed, bbc still serving the public  a load of onions.

I miss ceefax. You could play games and you could press a button on your remote control to see if you had guessed right.