Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Wales - Weather Chat

Paul

Posted

February 1st hmmmm

13th February London Greenwich observatory recorded 19.7 degrees as maximum Feb temp.

This winter is worse than last winter because of the marginality and silly " warnings ".

Unless the met office give an amber warning it's not worth it.

My rule is now to take their warnings - knock it down by one level then that's what you may get.

Also , what's the point of the green squares in the met office matrix ?

Are they ever ticked ?

According to the matrix - You could have a green warning that has a moderate chance of occurring giving a moderate impact lol ... What the Dickens is a moderate green warning ?

Has anyone ever seen a green met office warning ?

A health warning , that your grass would be visible in winter therefor upsetting coldies on various weather sites ?

Hopefully we can get a nice warm 15-16 degrees soon and put this dire spell to bed .

Nice warm southerly breeze , bike out around the gower , run on the seafront , luncheon in verdis yes please

Edited by Seasonal weather required
  • Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, cold, thunder and lightning.

Please no Spring yet. It's way too early for my liking, the Spring and Summer months are endless these days. I hate the light mornings and light nights, sunshine puts me in such a bad mood. Give me rain, clouds, cold, storms, anything except warm sun please. 😊

Edited by Clair_Witch
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and thunderstorms

It's almost certainly not going to happen, Andy.

It feels vaguely Spring-like today. Let's pray for an early start to the real Spring to put this wretched Winter out of its misery.

I have to concur with this. It doesn't feel THAT cold. This cold spell has (away from elevation) been a wretched fail. I don't recall too many January northerlies in previous winters where marginality was such a major factor. I can imagine the only people who are enjoying this spell are those who are living at elevation, or have ridiculously dumbed down expectations.

I've had enough of this winter now anyway..I say we take off and nuke it from orbit...it's the only way to be sure...

Edited by Carl46Wrexham

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Thunder & Lightning, Thundersnow, Storms, Heatwave

I have to concur with this. It doesn't feel THAT cold. This cold spell has (away from elevation) been a wretched fail. I don't recall too many January northerlies in previous winters where marginality was such a major factor. I can imagine the only people who are enjoying this spell are those who are living at elevation, or have ridiculously dumbed down expectations.

I've had enough of this winter now anyway..I say we take off and nuke it from orbit...it's the only way to be sure...

the cold spell that's only been really started maybe 2 days really so far? End of last week was never the start of the cold spell, coldest air was always forecast to move south last night and today.

The problem with this cold spell is now that although it's going to be cold for almost a week, 2-4c max with 0 to -4/-5 min, it looks to be dry cold rather than snowy and that is the disappointment.

The air is cold enough for snow for the coming week, the problem is, there won't be any precipitation around.

Overall my opinion would be it hasn't really started yet but this cold spell is a disappointment if you want snow. It was too marginal when there was precipitation and now next week when it is cold enough, it will be dry. If you like clear days and frosty weather, you'll love this week.

Personally, I'm disappointed but id rather cold and frosty than windy mild and wet.

Posted

Met office green warning for wales below 500 m ASL

The recent average weather has produced a higher than usual slug anomaly .

Your garden is at risk .

This is highly likely to happen but has no impact whatsoever other than to gardens.

Please see our weather matrix which will demonstrate our thinking behind this .

Glorious sunshine now , curtains open , nice mild day , putting the washing out to dry shortly.

I'm sure that was a rabbit leaping in yonder field just then , new life birdsong too, is that the ice cream van echoing down the valley ?

• Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Thunder & Lightning, Thundersnow, Storms, Heatwave

No one can deny that this is not cold for the end of this week. -10 uppers with an easterly flow. That will be very cold across all of wales so for the "this cold spell is just below average temps", the end of the week should disprove that.

BUT, the problem is that the flow would be mainly dry again. We all want to see cold and snow, not cold and sun. So really for many it will still be a disappointment.

post-16336-0-16947400-1422795447_thumb.j

post-16336-0-60834900-1422795453_thumb.j

Edited by bradythemole

Posted

Just been up the Preselis (Crymych end)... 3/4c and frequent fleeting wintry showers, mainly of hail.

Nothing white on the ground, bar the odd micro hail drift.

Snow visible on the Beacons in the distance.

I think we needed a cooler Autumn/early winter period to get much from the marginal situations of the last few days. A big high and a week of deep frosts in December might have helped take some of the 'local' heat out of the system. Atm, ground temps, air temps and sea temps all seem a bit too high to allow widespread, lowland settling snow.

Has there actually been any ice-days across Wales this winter?

Maybe the coming week will correct 'background' temps downwards and we'll have a shot at a snowy breakdown, at least.

• Like 1

Posted

Weafher station showing a windchill of -11 here last night - in the very strong winds it was COLD

Just been up the Preselis (Crymych end)... 3/4c and frequent fleeting wintry showers, mainly of hail.

Nothing white on the ground, bar the odd micro hail drift.

Snow visible on the Beacons in the distance.

I think we needed a cooler Autumn/early winter period to get much from the marginal situations of the last few days. A big high and a week of deep frosts in December might have helped take some of the 'local' heat out of the system. Atm, ground temps, air temps and sea temps all seem a bit too high to allow widespread, lowland settling snow.

Has there actually been any ice-days across Wales this winter?

Maybe the coming week will correct 'background' temps downwards and we'll have a shot at a snowy breakdown, at least.

Should've popped in for s cuppa! There have been a frost day or two. But I agree. The constant hail / snowy mix is annoying. Although we've fad several dustings since Christmas.

• Like 1

Posted

Feels very cold today unlike yesterday theres a different feel about it and it was thawing quickly yesterday at 4c max.

Today a very slow thaw at 3.1c max,snow is still hard and also it`s 3/4 cloudy with sun.

Edited by Snowyowl9

Posted

Just one more rant before I try to resist ranting :-

"Windchill factor "

Room 101 for this ?

I feel embarrassed that tourists or foreigners watching our weather must be chuckling to themselves when they see this .

The other day it showed " feels like 3 degrees " -- think it was South west ,but come on ! That is embarrassing .

Can't get below 7 or 8 degrees in a screaming northerly so the windchill factor is thrown in to try and make it seem extra cold and we should all be worried !

Lol what a joke .

It is not below freezing , it's no where near freezing, nothing has frozen , so don't try to make out it's extra cold when it just is not .

Bog standard cool winds nothing else .

Freezing means 0 degrees Celsius or below .

Deep snow is 6 -8 inches plus.

Snow that doesn't stick is pretty but useless .

I have felt colder working outside in raging 10 degree wet South westerlies than this.

• Like 2

Posted

Just one more rant before I try to resist ranting :-

"Windchill factor "

Room 101 for this ?

I feel embarrassed that tourists or foreigners watching our weather must be chuckling to themselves when they see this .

The other day it showed " feels like 3 degrees " -- think it was South west ,but come on ! That is embarrassing .

Can't get below 7 or 8 degrees in a screaming northerly so the windchill factor is thrown in to try and make it seem extra cold and we should all be worried !

Lol what a joke.

Finished ranting already after only 7 posts... That's rubbish! 😉

You're in Swansea... Hardly the cold and snow capital of Wales or the UK for that matter.

I agree that the weather warnings have been over cooked the whole way through this one, as a nation we're hysterical over the weather disrupting anything. I'd have thought there should have been a wind warning out for the west coast/hills it brought trees down and some travel disruption.

Maybe our memories of our last snowy adventures two years ago have gone all rose tinted.

Snow is a rareish commodity.

Edited by marclt
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, snowy..warm summers but not so hot you can fry an egg on the ground

I recommend that many of the posters take a 4hour walk to pen y fan mountain today or tomorrow.freezing cold,lying snow blowing with the wind,don't know where to to step incase u fall in 2 foot drift.might be the only chance you get to see lying snow this winter but well worth it!

• Like 3

Posted
gfs 6z either gone off it's rocker today - or we are in for possibly the mother of all easterlies - with potential for massive snows from the atlantic - stay tuned - it's only feb after all

Andy,is this an early April fool? Are you pulling our legs? Tell us more! :)

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms, Snow

After a few light snow & hail showers last night it has been largely dry today.

So this time around the NNW flow produced some snow, including coverings for those inland and on high ground. Over the last few days dew points were marginal most the time especially in the south and west, with the colder upper air getting mixed out at times to.

Still remaining cold and dry as the high pressure system begins to take control.

Edited by SnowStorm(Jamie)
  • Like 1

Posted

Lol you guys like to moan. :rolleyes:

I see the Atlantic trying to fight against frigid cold air, and here is where you can get snow events. between the boundary. I think this will be the eventual outcome, I believe welsh valleys got a red warning in Jan 2013, for 25cm+ and drifting. Wales is not the best place to be but sometimes it is.

• Like 1

Posted

I was in the middle of that red warning and I can tell you with certainty that there was not 25cm - it was 18 at most - and there was no drifting.

That cold spell wasn't particularly cold or severe, but it did contain two further significant snowfalls after the initial event.

Northeast Wales was absolutely buried two months later in two-three times as much snow and didn't receive a red warning. 

Edited by Jackfrost
  • Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, snowy..warm summers but not so hot you can fry an egg on the ground

top of the valley did get around 25cm as I was meant to be working up there and had call from the customer saying that her husband had measured the snow and it was at 23cm and still snowing so not to try and go up there.....like I was going to anyway.snow day!!!!℠⛄

• Like 4

Posted

Please no Spring yet. It's way too early for my liking, the Spring and Summer months are endless these days. I hate the light mornings and light nights, sunshine puts me in such a bad mood. Give me rain, clouds, cold, storms, anything except warm sun please. 😊

Yep Clair I agree 100 percent.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold and Snowy, Hot and Dry, Blizzard Conditions
  • Weather Preferences: Cold and Snowy, Hot and Dry, Blizzard Conditions

3e7c499db51c2640524b7755f783acbd35f20cc0

Potential dangler setup happening tonight......hmmmm

Edited by Snowmadsam

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: very cold or very hot

Just missed my area unfortunately but there seems to be more coming from the Irish sea

Posted

GFS with absolutely no interest in a return to the Atlantic. Northerly turns to North Easterly turns to Easterly. Potentially a couple of cracking weeks of cold, crisp weather. Never the greatest snow maker for our region but always potential for something developing and moving through the English channel. The lack of cloud will make our already lengthening days seem longer too. Things will change but looking forwards to it.

Posted

Just looking at the same thing! Maybe tonight's the night!

For the first time during this chilly spell - the temperature has just reached 0c

3c here- also the coolest it's been during this cool spell...

Less wind tonight might mean slower moving showers with more time to put a bit down and less warm air being blown in from the sea. Also 850s better -7/-8, atm and dewpoints favorable, too.

Posted

I guess the snow we were meant to have mon/Tuesday isn't happening then :(

The possibility of a bit more Dangler action into the SW looks about your lot over the next 48hrs or so...

However, as the last few days have demonstrated, those precipitation forecast charts are not always as accurate as you might hope and I guess that can cut both ways; in this set-up, there's always the possibility something could appear that's currently unforecast.

• Like 2