Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Wales - Weather Chat

Paul

Posted

Chief Forecaster's assessment

Coastal areas facing west or southwest will probably miss most of the snow, but hail and lightning will be hazards here, along with gusty winds.

Edited by shaunwales

Posted

Some people may see their 1st snow in 2 winters, come tomorrow afternoon/evening. :-) 

• Like 1

Posted

Latest Euro4 looks quite snowy for Wales -

15011312_2_1206.gif

-

15011318_2_1206.gif-

15011400_2_1206.gif

Some agreement on the snow risk 06_45_preciptype.png?cb=444uksnowrisk.png

Edited by keithlucky

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold snowy Winters, warm stormy spring & sumemr, cool frosty Autumn!

Why do I have to be in Aberystwyth with the one chance to get snow, and im in one of the areas that won't haha well hope for some thunder and lightning instead!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, snow and summer heatwaves.

Why do I have to be in Aberystwyth with the one chance to get snow, and im in one of the areas that won't haha well hope for some thunder and lightning instead!

Just walk to the top of Penglais hill or even Llanbadarn it may be all you need...

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow in winter, good sun at other times with appropriate rain.

meanwhile, somewhere on a fjord in Norway...........

http://www.galahandel.no/kamera4.html

:cold: :cold: :cold:

Posted

Marginal to lower levels tomorrow I think for south Walians (Cardiff, Newport, Swansea for instance.) Think a bit of height will make all of the difference. South-east Wales valleys and north should fair pretty well! All now-casting with the shower activity I guess though. Longer term though things seem to be picking up in the slightly bi-polar model thread! Already been a meteoric improvement on last winter though, even if we only get a bit of sleet between now and April. I think we've all had at least one ground frost for instance!

Edited by ToffeeWales
  • Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold and Snow -20 would be nice :)

Hi Wales & Net Weather friends  :)  12Z WRF NMM is looking good for some of you folk http://www.meteociel.fr/modeles/wrfnmm.php?ech=3&mode=1&map=330 :D

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, snowy..warm summers but not so hot you can fry an egg on the ground

well just came home from work and we have a yellow warning for snow tomorrow evening....happy days

Marginal to lower levels tomorrow I think for south Walians (Cardiff, Newport, Swansea for instance.) Think a bit of height will make all of the difference. South-east Wales valleys and north should fair pretty well! All now-casting with the shower activity I guess though. Longer term though things seem to be picking up in the slightly bi-polar model thread! Already been a meteoric improvement on last winter though, even if we only get a bit of sleet between now and April. I think we've all had at least one ground frost for instance!

and what about those in Swansea at 160m lol

To me there are several types of snow events. in South Wales ( and in between)

1. Snow to all levels right to the coast, 

2 Snow inland, with rain sleet snow mix on the coast

3. Snow inland/ or on hills, rain at lower levels on coast

4  Wintry mix inland, Snow highest hills, rain on coast

5. Rain generally with snow on highest hills inland

To me this looks more like a 2 event on my scale above (worst case scenario is 4). I think there will be a fair bit of snow falling tomorrow evening right down to the coast at times.

But as others have said, accumulating snow is more likely inland and above 100m, But i think many will see some snow at some time tomorrow night and that some with some some hail/sleet and rain mixed in.

Please in event of my thoughts being wrong please don't shoot me.

Edited by J10
  • Like 3

Posted

and what about those in Swansea at 160m lol

Good point- I apologise. Bit of a generalisation! :sorry:

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, snow and more snow!

Plenty of wind though :whistling:

We all deserve a bit of snow this year so fingers crossed! Still plenty of time

Aye, we certainly do wind spectacularly well round these parts!  Might have a glimpse of the white stuff possibly....maybe,  but it's a 'blink and you'll miss it affair'  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wza569RpKMw&feature=youtu.be

Latest Euro4 looks quite snowy for Wales -

15011312_2_1206.gif

-

15011318_2_1206.gif-

15011400_2_1206.gif

One thing to me is promising is the very cold dewpoints.

post-213-0-72436700-1421090181_thumb.gif at around the time of the heaviest precipitation.

post-213-0-00994900-1421094327_thumb.gif

Edited by J10

Posted
  • Location: Llanwnnen, Lampeter, Ceredigion, 126m asl (exotic holidays in Rugby/ Coventry)
  • Location: Llanwnnen, Lampeter, Ceredigion, 126m asl (exotic holidays in Rugby/ Coventry)

Just go inland into the hills 5 miles there will be snow :)

Good point- I apologise. Bit of a generalisation! :sorry:

No need to apologise (hence my lol)

160m close to the coast is sort of in between in these conditions, certainly those inland at 160m are likely to do better.

Is there any chance of snow in Cardiff? Would be a nice birthday present Wednesday !

Falling snow. Yes

Settling snow. apart from temporary slushy deposits. I would say unlikely. (at lower levels)

But it it only my opinion,  I have been known to be wrong. :rofl:

Snow accumulations - highly erratic in terms of performance. but not quite as good at 06Hz run

post-213-0-00994900-1421094327_thumb.gif
Edited by J10
  • Like 3

Posted

Just walk to the top of Penglais hill or even Llanbadarn it may be all you need...

True thats all it may take, even Aber itself can get a surprise snowfall very occasionally!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Extreme weather, wind, snow, heat, storms

Depending on what time it hits it may be very interesting trying to get home from Merthyr tomorrow.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Extremes

haha, a single mention of the "S" word from the Met Office and we see life in here again!   Mind you, Andy is very quiet only posting charts, wheres the ramping mate???

woody

• Like 2

Posted

All in all looking like winters finally arrived - snow tomorrow into wednesday - wild windiness for thursday - and snow for the weekend by the latest models - with further atlantic meets the cold as well coming up - all good

haha, a single mention of the "S" word from the Met Office and we see life in here again!   Mind you, Andy is very quiet only posting charts, wheres the ramping mate???

woody

i'm here lol