Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Wales - Weather Chat

Paul

Posted
  • Location: Sth Staffs/Shrops 105m/345' & NW Snowdonia 219m/719'
  • Location: Sth Staffs/Shrops 105m/345' & NW Snowdonia 219m/719'

Been for a run out from coast through Bala to Llangollen. More snow inland around Bala. The peaks around coastal regions only have snow at altitude. Sea temps must still be quite warm.

• Like 1

Posted

Sorry to rant but needed to add some realism to the conversation.

No, you're quite right. I lost sight of context when I embarked on my rant last night. I vividly remember those early Netweather days, especially between 2003-7, when we in South Wales saw decent snowfalls which weren't particularly spectacular but which far eclipsed anything seen in Central and Southern England. I recall the Valleys doing well from several frontal snow events during that period, while you in Swansea seemed to benefit from Northerly streamers.

The initial January 2013 event was fairly disappointing for me. I recall around 6-8 inches of snow when, perhaps being greedy, I'd expected considerably more given the MetO's red warning covering my area. The following two heavy snowfalls over the proceeding days were what made it, and the lack of any real snowmelt for the duration of the cold spell. Here are some pictures from that period:

gallery_160_1137_78447.jpg

gallery_160_1137_410047.jpg

So yes, all is not lost for us in South Wales.

South Wales is badly positioned along with our suffering South West England friends - we are right next to the Atlantic which for us is the winter killer.

This is sometimes true, more particularly for Southwest England, but being on the edge of a huge ocean often works in our favour since we're further north (and so more likely to be under the influence of a large, cold high) and many of us have elevation on our side.

Edited by Jackfrost

Posted

Well it's defo colder now than it was last night,currently 2.5 ,let's hope if anything falls it will be snow tonight! There are clouds about so let's hope :) anything plz.....

Posted

Sleet now in Swansea just turned to Snow AT LAST! :yahoo: :yahoo:Streamer has formed

Edited by keithlucky

Posted

Had snow in the Amman Valley a few minutes a go starting to lay above 250m sleety lower levels.

Posted

Turs back to sleet when precipation light now turned back to snow again,there will be terrible ice tomorrow.Looks the streamer is growing were in Wales will it hit?

Edited by keithlucky

Posted

Turs back to sleet when precipation light now turned back to snow again,there will be terrible ice tomorrow.Looks the streamer is growing were in Wales will it hit?

With the shift in wind I think Pembrokeshire will probably see most of the PPN... agh well, hope it falls as snow for them

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold snowy Winters, warm stormy spring & sumemr, cool frosty Autumn!

Had icy rain earlier but nothing since! Are we likely to get any wintery showers this coming week or is it gunna stay dry?

Posted

Woohooo, snowing in kilgetty, s,w pembs

Posted

0*c too, come on freeze and stick. Bloody wet outside though!

Posted

Ahh s**t, its stopped already

Edited by Pk10

No, you're quite right. I lost sight of context when I embarked on my rant last night. I vividly remember those early Netweather days, especially between 2003-7, when we in South Wales saw decent snowfalls which weren't particularly spectacular but which far eclipsed anything seen in Central and Southern England. I recall the Valleys doing well from several frontal snow events during that period, while you in Swansea seemed to benefit from Northerly streamers.

The initial January 2013 event was fairly disappointing for me. I recall around 6-8 inches of snow when, perhaps being greedy, I'd expected considerably more given the MetO's red warning covering my area. The following two heavy snowfalls over the proceeding days were what made it, and the lack of any real snowmelt for the duration of the cold spell. Here are some pictures from that period:

gallery_160_1137_78447.jpg

gallery_160_1137_410047.jpg

So yes, all is not lost for us in South Wales.

This is sometimes true, more particularly for Southwest England, but being on the edge of a huge ocean often works in our favour since we're further north (and so more likely to be under the influence of a large, cold high) and many of us have elevation on our side.

No worries at all.

It can get frustrating when you don't get anything when it is forecast (to an extent). But down here we were never in the zone anyway.

But hopefully next time it will work in our favour.

I think we are due better streamers as there has only been one decent one this decade. If the winds stayed NNW tonight, with the original forecast -8c  to -9c 850HPA, we might have been in business. 

Edited by J10

Saw some snow on way out earlier. [and a bit of everything else as well]

I just wish the streamer lasted longer, it might have made a decent event.

Good luck to those in Pembroke shire tonight.

Edited by J10

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Extremes

Big flakes here for about 15:mins, but stopping now. Enough to give a faint covering over everything though. Currently 0.9 degrees.

Posted

Been snowing here. Just stopped. Just a dusting but I'm happy!

Hope it comes my way,plz,just a little bit!:)

Posted

I can see nothing much is happening as we are moving further and further down the home page,oh well bring on the next bit of excitement!!

Posted

A bit of an unexpected covering last night. Stuck on grass and over hills. Froze hard too despite a breeze.

You just can't tell what's around the corner!

• Like 1

Posted
  • Location: Llanwnnen, Lampeter, Ceredigion, 126m asl (exotic holidays in Rugby/ Coventry)
  • Location: Llanwnnen, Lampeter, Ceredigion, 126m asl (exotic holidays in Rugby/ Coventry)

-5c at Tirabad and back home at Llanwnnen recently

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold snowy Winters, warm stormy spring & sumemr, cool frosty Autumn!

Cold out this morning with a low of -4c and current temp of -3.8c with thick frost/ice! These are the crisp clear winter mornings i like :)

• Like 1

Posted

Low of -8.3c Llanwnnen

• Like 1