Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Wales - Weather Chat

Paul

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: very cold or very hot

Nice having some snow on the mountains this morning. Deiniolen in the background in nw wales

post-22699-0-74291900-1417858033_thumb.j

Edited by marksiwnc
  • Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, cold, thunder and lightning.

I think I need to put my house on stilts.

• Like 1

The Met Office view is

Rain clearing southeastwards Sunday. Then becoming colder, windier, and showery. Showers mainly in the north/west, turning wintry over hills. Showers easing Monday and becoming briefly dry. Turning unsettled Tuesday.

-----------------------------------

Personally given the forecasted temps of sub -5c at 850HPA, close to -6c generally and with winds from the W to NW, I think some wintriness is possible a bit more widely that that perhaps with full snow showers restricted to higher ground.

But as ever time will tell.

Met Office

Sunday:

Cold and windy with sunshine and scattered showers. These showers will fall as snow over the Welsh mountains, and perhaps turn wintry to low levels in the north later. Maximum Temperature 6C.

Outlook for Monday to Wednesday:

A frosty morning then sunshine and blustery, perhaps wintry, showers Monday. Frosty, bright start on Tuesday, before turning wet and windy later. Very windy and showery Wednesday, snow over hills.

From Euro4 model post-213-0-14195700-1417890106_thumb.gif post-213-0-83629800-1417890166_thumb.gif

Edited by J10

Posted

ECM & GFS in agreement right now over more widespread wintriness/snow next Friday and Saturday

A nice biting cold ,snow showers Northerly Andy h500slp.png

Edited by keithlucky

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, snowy..warm summers but not so hot you can fry an egg on the ground

seems all doom and gloom in the model thread this morning after last nights excitement there.but i have noticed that every morning and then come the evening runs the whole place is smiles again.so far this winter I have seen more frosts than the whole of last winter so so far I'm happy.here's to a good winter hopefully!

• Like 2

Posted

seems all doom and gloom in the model thread this morning after last nights excitement there.but i have noticed that every morning and then come the evening runs the whole place is smiles again.so far this winter I have seen more frosts than the whole of last winter so so far I'm happy.here's to a good winter hopefully!

Hi dbaloo,I'm not far from you,I live in oakdale near blackwood,let's hope we get some snow hopefully near to xmas. It's been better already than last year but snow xmas eve would be perfect. Do you know how far above sea level we are?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, snowy..warm summers but not so hot you can fry an egg on the ground

Hi dbaloo,I'm not far from you,I live in oakdale near blackwood,let's hope we get some snow hopefully near to xmas. It's been better already than last year but snow xmas eve would be perfect. Do you know how far above sea level we are?

hi whiskers.i don't,but I will have a look later and see what I can come up with for you.snow at Xmas would be great tho!

• Like 1

Google Earth or Ordnance Survey Maps on the web is a good way to go.

As an example Oakdale Rugby Club is circa 235m, Blackwood Rugby Club circa 150m.

Edited by J10
  • Like 2

Posted

A nice biting cold ,snow showers Northerly Andy h500slp.png

yes Keith - BBC going for travel disruption tonight - but I think that'll be just for the sheep - next week looking better and colder for a possible more widespread event - this winter looking better all round so far though for something snowy

yes Keith - BBC going for travel disruption tonight - but I think that'll be just for the sheep - next week looking better and colder for a possible more widespread event - this winter looking better all round so far though for something snowy

post-213-0-54299000-1417970734_thumb.jpg

Indeed interesting for next weekend, however would still like a full blast.

post-213-0-79735900-1417970833_thumb.jpg

if what goes into the Atlantic on Thursday came straight for us instead, then we would really be in business.

Totally agree though things are looking better than last year.  (not saying much)

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Enjoy the weather, you can't take it with you 😎

I would say there is chance of some white stuff falling on the mountains overnight given enough precip, the Black mountains ,Cambrians and Snowdonia could see some white tops tomorrow

post-6830-0-11806800-1417979191_thumb.pn

post-6830-0-91366700-1417979259_thumb.pn

post-6830-0-33791000-1417979311_thumb.gi

Posted

It`s cold enough for a few snow here tonight,checking the uppers,could be some frozen stuff first thing tomorrow

But it probably won`t settle at 3.3c currently its borderline stuff.

Edited by Snowyowl9

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold . snow

hi whiskers.i don't,but I will have a look later and see what I can come up with for you.snow at Xmas would be great tho!

I live in brymawr we are 1350ft asl ...gritters just went by ...

• Like 2

Posted

Google Earth or Ordnance Survey Maps on the web is a good way to go.

As an example Oakdale Rugby Club is circa 235m, Blackwood Rugby Club circa 150m.

Thanks so much as I live a few streets away from oakdale rugby club,so I am 235 m above sea level! Ta !
  • Like 1

Posted

Yellow Warning of Snow and Ice for Wales : Powys, Wrexham, Denbighshire, Conwy, Gwynedd, Flintshire, Monmouthshire, Ceredigion, Carmarthenshire, Blaenau Gwent, Merthyr Tydfil, Rhonnda Cynon Taff, Caerphilly, Torfaen & Newport valid from 2030 Sun 07 Dec to 1200 Mon 08 Dec
  • Like 4

Posted

UD SNOW CHART FOR SOUTH WALES 

LATER TONIGHT

that map is great, do you know where I can find them please?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Extreme weather, wind, snow, heat, storms

Beacons looked very festive this morning. Very light flurry of snow as I drove over Llangynidr mountain at 9am.

Models thread is in constant flux right now. There has been a lot of mild ramping going on, and has been for a few weeks now....but it never seems to come to anything, which is fine by me.

Its looking nothing like last year and there seems to be plenty of opportunity for cold and wintry showers in the reliable time frame (5 days) Probably sleety and cold (not freezing and snowing). It will be interesting what the models look for after this Atlantic low moves away. My gut feeling is a progression to a longer spell of cold weather as to go into weeks 3-4 of Dec. Fingers crossed. 

Posted
  • Location: Llanwnnen, Lampeter, Ceredigion, 126m asl (exotic holidays in Rugby/ Coventry)
  • Location: Llanwnnen, Lampeter, Ceredigion, 126m asl (exotic holidays in Rugby/ Coventry)

Plenty of hail showers today, max a coldish 6.3c.

We know when winter begins when snow hits Wales beloved Horse shoe Pass !

Is that where they get the saying lucky horseshoe

(sorry couldn't resist)

Dry and mostly sunny here today after some sharp showers last night.

Edited by J10