Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Wales - Weather Chat

Paul

Posted

I may be asking a very silly question so I am apologising in advance. The car temp this morning was -3 yet there was no ice on my car then as I drove in to Llanelli temp rose to -1 and the cars were covered in ice why wasn't my car covered in ice (not that I was complaining as I hate de-icing the car) :cc_confused:

Thanks in advance to anyone who may be able to enlighten me.

10 minutes ago, chubbystuff said:

I may be asking a very silly question so I am apologising in advance. The car temp this morning was -3 yet there was no ice on my car then as I drove in to Llanelli temp rose to -1 and the cars were covered in ice why wasn't my car covered in ice (not that I was complaining as I hate de-icing the car) :cc_confused:

Thanks in advance to anyone who may be able to enlighten me.

It could be that your area was drier and as such no ice was able to form, whereas other areas there was a little bit more moisture in the air and as such frostier.

A lovely sunny day here after a frosty start, and the ground remained frosty all day in the shade.

However this is probably the first day like this so far this winter and it is past mid January!!!

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: freezing cold and lots of snow

What a strange colour in the sky this morning!!! It's like an orange and red tint to it........

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: crisp frosty days in Winter

The old rhyme "red sky in the morning Shepards warning there will be rain before the morrow" I think it is caused by the high level ice crystals and dust which precede a rain bearing front. So red sky in the east rain before the following morning.

Did not see the sunrise here the cloud had rolled in before it was light shame though. Now light rain and the temperature feels like low to mid single figures so between 1 and 5 degrees

Edited by EastAnglian
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, cold, thunder and lightning.

I am absolutely drooling over the photos from Michigan. That ice is the stuff my dreams are made of. http://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/2016/01/22/michigan-lighthouses-ice-pictures-_n_9050984.html?ncid=fcbklnkukhpmg00000001

• Like 1

Posted

Cold snap next week.

http://weather.unisys.com/gfs/gfs.php?inv=0&plot=850&region=eu&t=5d

Followed by very high upper temps,buts its February by then.

http://weather.unisys.com/gfs/gfs.php?inv=0&plot=850&region=eu&t=9d

The snowstorm in the US will just bring wet mild and windy here sadly.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and thunderstorms

The bad news channel (met office) has coughed into life again by putting out warnings for Tuesday and Wednesday.  Said warnings have a distinctly unpalatable December look about them. "tropical air entrained...slow moving..50-100mm of rain...more than 200mm in exposed areas...

Here it goes again....

Posted

Yes sounds like a normal very wet and possibly windy end of winter,I read in model thread some of the most experienced posters going for possible cold mid Feb,we down south normally don't get it to bad by mid Feb.nights getting lighter and temps rise.roll on summer,wait I forgot we don't get summers very often. Never mind plenty of drinking water ha ha. Well at least we had snow for 2 days.

• Like 1

Posted

I think we need to get used to the idea that widespread snow events have changed from occasional to freak events.

I've started to dread winter and this winter has only reinforced that feeling.

another year of constant false predictions in the model thread. Not that I'm fooled these days. Complete waste of time. No point even looking at charts outside the 3 day range for a forecast. Spotting trends maybe but never take them as gospel.

saying that I do remember Feb half term being quite snowy back in the day so not saying we wont see anything. But overall another dismal winter so far.

just hope our forever autumn doesn't drag into another summer.

Edited by Cwmbran Eira
  • Like 5

Posted
21 hours ago, Cwmbran Eira said:

I think we need to get used to the idea that widespread snow events have changed from occasional to freak events.

I've started to dread winter and this winter has only reinforced that feeling.

another year of constant false predictions in the model thread. Not that I'm fooled these days. Complete waste of time. No point even looking at charts outside the 3 day range for a forecast. Spotting trends maybe but never take them as gospel.

saying that I do remember Feb half term being quite snowy back in the day so not saying we wont see anything. But overall another dismal winter so far.

just hope our forever autumn doesn't drag into another summer.

Dry sunny days are freak events, never mind widespread snow events! As for this "winter"  I can't help but admire the almost desperate hopeful optimism in the Model thread that something might turn up in 10 or 14 days time...let's face facts here. Time is fast running out...March is a Spring month, and a repeat of what happened in 2013 is about as likely as winning the lottery.

The fat lady isn't singing yet but she is definately clearing her throat with gusto in the wings.

Edited by Carl46Wrexham

Posted
11 hours ago, andymusic said:

This Saturday?

gfs-2-114.png?18

gfs-2-120.png?18

Meh...will doubtless be downgraded nearer the time. You'll probably need to be 3000ft up to see so much as a flake.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, cold, thunder and lightning.

Such a sophisticated piece of equipment. I want one.

http://www.walesonline.co.uk/news/wales-news/literally-just-live-stream-jug-10788813#ICID=FB-Wales-main 

:D

Edited by Clair_Witch

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: very cold or very hot

At caernarfon airport.  A bit shocked that the yellow warning wasn't upgraded to red.  If it was in England then it would be headline news 

Screenshot_2016-01-26-12-49-53.png

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Severe Weather

My mum was saying it was really bad up Deiniolen way this morning, she was surprised to see schools open. And I agree, when we had the flooding back late December they were awful with weather warnings.

On 13/01/2016 at 11:07 AM, Carl46Wrexham said:
22 minutes ago, marksiwnc said:

At caernarfon airport.  A bit shocked that the yellow warning wasn't upgraded to red.  If it was in England then it would be headline news 

Screenshot_2016-01-26-12-49-53.png

I see that the Met Office has issued a yellow rain warning for the South East of England, warning that rain could lead to surface water flooding.

Given that North Wales experienced several hours of heavy (sometimes very heavy) rain yesterday which resulted in many roads being flooded, the obvious question is, where was the warning? I don't mean to be overly critical of the Met Office but where is the consistency here?

I couldn't agree more with you Carl. I was home in North West Wales on Boxing Day when we had torrential rain and flooding (which also closed the A55 and saw many villages flooded) and Met Office didn't even consider changing the warning from Be Aware to Be Prepared until lunchtime.

• Like 1

Posted

Could be interesting surprise snowfall for high ground and  and mid Wales Saturday.The first signs of a decent cold spell coming in on Feb 2  the ecm, Mentioned today by the met that they also are mentioning this change in weather.

Edited by keithlucky
  • Like 1

Posted
21 hours ago, andymusic said:

130.gifgfs-2-54.png?12

Someone showed Nicolas Cage that map

Edited by Carl46Wrexham
  • Like 1

Posted
41 minutes ago, Snowyowl9 said:

Cold zonality returns tomorrow,but not expecting anything like last year yet.

Going all NIMBY here but do not want a repeat of last year....cold and wet...oh-shi.gif

Posted

Not much hope then.

Got a slight dusting of wet snow,or to be exact a sprinkling of wet snow 2.2c min.

Its not really cold zonality as we head to midweek as another patch of coold zonality.

Edited by Snowyowl9

Posted

It always feels like we're future gazing... Cold potential for next weekend? 

image.png

image.png

Posted

Look at the model thread and what you now see is straw clutching and wishful thinking, combined with an abundance of jam tomorrow. 10 days out....16 days out.....if this happens....we really need...

Smacks of 2013/14 non winter so much now.

Time is fast running out people....day after day of jam tomorrow charts with wildly almost desperately optimistic comments is beginning to grate. This winter has been a massive fail....is a massive fail...

If it's 96 hours away and nailed on, great. 16 days away? Wasting our time.

Edited by Carl46Wrexham