Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Wales - Weather Chat

Paul

Posted
41 minutes ago, Jackfrost said:

Light-to-moderate sleet here.

well just got moderate very very cold rain right now - and it's bitter out - so a lowering of temps as the night goes on could well prove fruitful

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and thunderstorms
34 minutes ago, beatpete said:

Yep and the black mountain nr Brynamman

DSCF3166.JPG

DSCF3156.JPG

DSCF3118.JPG

I know there's been snow higher up...thats normal for winter. My beef with this spell is that it hasnt stopped bloody raining....so please excuse me if im not portraying any enthusiasm for recent conditions. Good riddance to bad rubbish .

• Like 1

Posted
1 minute ago, Carl46Wrexham said:

I know there's been snow higher up...thats normal for winter. My beef with this spell is that it hasnt stopped bloody raining....so please excuse me if im not portraying any enthusiasm for recent conditions. Good riddance to bad rubbish .

As much as i'm fed up with the rain, this 'winter' has been heaps better than last year, no snow for me down in the valley, but i've had at least 3 frosts this year!!!! and we're so lucky in wales to have mountains close which will at some point during winter have the white stuff :D This weekend was awesome on the tops, no wind for once and feet of power, very busy too which was nice to see.

Posted
45 minutes ago, andymusic said:

well just got moderate very very cold rain right now - and it's bitter out - so a lowering of temps as the night goes on could well prove fruitful

Yeah, maybe I was a bit premature and maybe my eyes were playing tricks on me. For what it's worth I'm sure it's still sleeting or that there's at least a wintry component to this rain but the radar doesn't back me up on that.

Let's hope for a little surprise overnight. It'll be nice just to see some falling snow, since it's obviously not going to settle with the ground soaked and temperatures marginal to say the least.

Posted
45 minutes ago, Jackfrost said:

Yeah, maybe I was a bit premature and maybe my eyes were playing tricks on me. For what it's worth I'm sure it's still sleeting or that there's at least a wintry component to this rain but the radar doesn't back me up on that.

Let's hope for a little surprise overnight. It'll be nice just to see some falling snow, since it's obviously not going to settle with the ground soaked and temperatures marginal to say the least.

it's not straight forward over the valleys and mountains - but the bbc and meto at least acknowledge that the chance of a wintry mix is possible here unlike euro4

edit:- weird temp behaviour on GFS - keeps dropping the overall temps on each run - difference between 12z and now 18z - maybe the cold from the east is biting harder than expected

gonna be close to an ice day on tuesday - no mild to see here

18z - high pressure to the east elongating the cold now till the end of friday - and it keeps getting pushed back - at this rate the mild atlantic mush won't be here until a week monday if at all

friday 1800

gfs-2-120.png?18

it ain't over till the fat lady sings - and from the weather models she doesn't even know where she's going to sing yet lol

Edited by andymusic

Posted

Also GFS the breakdown with the return to milder S west winds as been put back to Friday now ,.Maybe the Arctic HP will link up to Euro HP interesting week ahead.

Posted

ecm/gem/jma and now gfs all ending their runs today at the end of jan from about the 27th with high pressures/scandi and potential easterlies - could be a flippin cold feb

Posted

Sleet and snow is starting to break out over the Northern part of Mid Wales. I wonder if a little evaporative cooling will take place in other parts as the heavier precipitation moves in.

I've just been to put the bins out and it genuinely feels cold. With the drizzly, icy rain it's that damp cold that sinks through to your bones.

Posted

Not as cold as yesterday 2.8c with rubbish light rain,but it I didn`t mind this morning as the roads were clear.

Tonight frost returns we`ll see,take all these forecasts with a pinch of salt,they`ve been more wrong that right lately 75%.

http://www.wetterzentrale.de/pics/Rtavn3017.html

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Thunderstorms, Hot Summer days

disappointing weekend weatherwise, been milder, snow over large parts of the UK except most of Wales , looking forward to a drier and colder day/night or two.

Added insult this morning is that Facebook is reminding me of 3 years ago today when we had our (locally) last settling snowfall spells.

• Like 1

Posted
3 hours ago, swansearob said:

disappointing weekend weatherwise, been milder, snow over large parts of the UK except most of Wales , looking forward to a drier and colder day/night or two.

Added insult this morning is that Facebook is reminding me of 3 years ago today when we had our (locally) last settling snowfall spells.

I too was reminded by facebook of the unexpected snow day 3 years ago, still got my fingers crossed that we will have another snow day before spring.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, cold, thunder and lightning.

Ahh, good old facebook with their memories. I was drooling over the snow of years gone by too.

A light frost here overnight, just reaching 0c. Well, 0.1c, but close enough.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Thunder & Lightning, Thundersnow, Storms, Heatwave

First proper cold night of winter of here in Cardiff. -2.3c at 9pm and falling in the centre, more like it!

• Like 1

Posted

A proper chill in the air from about 3 this afternoon. Temp here -2.4°C been steady for a few hours. 

Posted

Coldest night of the winter so far. My bin was frozen shut by 8pm. Shame there's no ppn around tonight, bit at least it's sub zero and we'll have a good frosty morning.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold and Snow in winter Warm Sunny Summer

If nothing else I believe most of Wales if not all of it just experienced its first full 24hr period (since forever it seems) with no rain falling. Il take that and I'm sure the areas up north who have been worse effected would too. Here's to another dry day tomorrow :yahoo:

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter - Heavy Snow Summer - Hot with Night time Thunderstorms
1 minute ago, Pembroke Dangler said:

If nothing else I believe most of Wales if not all of it just experienced its first full 24hr period (since forever it seems) with no rain falling. Il take that and I'm sure the areas up north who have been worse effected would too. Here's to another dry day tomorrow :yahoo:

Just spared the people of Eglwyswrw that record of the most consecutive days of rain then! Phew! :)

Posted

Absolutely stunning frost here this morning. It added an extra hour to my shopping trip as I had to keep making detours to take photos. :D

1901900_10153745052730491_3475454042012478616_n.jpg12507647_10153745050760491_3179539895538533877_n.jpg12508795_10153745047665491_6946993713421203836_n.jpg12523007_10153745044740491_5196415763256960316_n.jpg12509548_10153745041800491_2066150679524993470_n.jpg

12593676_10153745051710491_4568946489898301676_o.jpg12540700_10153744928255491_6650666901968004435_n.jpg12573698_10153745048730491_3203924212653763333_n.jpg12621989_10153745046155491_2246103497176847055_o.jpg

Edited by Clair_Witch

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: crisp frosty days in Winter

Very frosty here this morning about +2 in the sunshine now but still below freezing in the shade. A nice Dry and sunny day.  :)

Posted

Thanks Midlands Ice Age. I snapped those with my phone, so looking forward to seeing what beauties I have on my proper camera later. :)

It's 3.2C in Cardiff now. Still lots of frost and ice lingering. If we can't have snow then this comes a close second best for me. Hopefully we'll get another cracking frost tonight before the mild air hits tomorrow.

Edited by Clair_Witch

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: freezing cold and lots of snow

Give me this weather any day of the week to the wet mild rubbish we had in November and December!!!!!! Just a shame it's back tomorrow :(:( 

The second successive ice day in Talgarth, Mid Wales.  We haven't had any sunshine on either day, just lingering freezing fog.  I measured to temperature at -3.2C at 2pm this afternoon, and the trees are still covered top to bottom in frost from last night.

Posted

very frosty up here too - sort of an ice day - and to prove it while checking the car over I go and slip on the ice - silly bugger LOL