Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Wales - Weather Chat

Paul

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and thunderstorms

It's......RAINING (again). Someone wake me when this (guffaw) cold spell is over.

Posted
14 minutes ago, Carl46Wrexham said:

It's......RAINING (again). Someone wake me when this (guffaw) cold spell is over.

here you are Carl - just to prove there is some snow in Wales - the beacons

Penyfan.jpg

Edited by andymusic
  • Like 3

Posted

Hi guys thought i would pop in as I'm normally lurking and reading the discussions going on here.

In Newport currently  its 4.3 deg ,%74 humidity ,pressure 1020.2  and 0.3 precip in the last 24 hours.

I can see a dusting of snow over twmbarlum mountain and the black mountains in the distance are white.

Broken cloud here but radar saying it should be raining.

Posted
26 minutes ago, Carl46Wrexham said:

We're just north of you and the snow on the ground is thawing and will be gone soon.

But - the light rain has turned to light sleet with the odd wet flake. 

Latest BBC forecast also shows a lot more snow over north Wales,  but altitude will help.

Posted

does this make any sense to anyone? - mountain forecast on met office site for the beacons

Temperature

Valleys:
Minus 6 Celsius rising to plus 2 Celsius.
800m:
Minus 2 to 4 Celsius.
Freezing level:
At most levels.

they all seem to contradict each other - you'd expect the valleys to have a higher temp than the 800m level - and if it's freezing at most levels then you'd expect 0 degrees or less at all levels?????????????????? - sorry to be picky lol

Posted
9 minutes ago, andymusic said:

does this make any sense to anyone? - mountain forecast on met office site for the beacons

Temperature

Valleys:
Minus 6 Celsius rising to plus 2 Celsius.
800m:
Minus 2 to 4 Celsius.
Freezing level:
At most levels.

they all seem to contradict each other - you'd expect the valleys to have a higher temp than the 800m level - and if it's freezing at most levels then you'd expect 0 degrees or less at all levels?????????????????? - sorry to be picky lol

HI, well no. 

Cold air sinks in a sense it goes down, it is less dense than warm air, warm air rises. Benson a famous frost spot in England, Oxfordshire, is a good example of this - cold air which accumulates at elevation, descends into the valleys. Most notable is the minima, typically at elevation maxima is colder than valleys vice versa on minima.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold snowy Winters, warm stormy spring & sumemr, cool frosty Autumn!

Well certainly not 'cold' here now, temp risen to 7.8c! Didn't think temps were going to get this warm today! 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and thunderstorms

Light rain reported from the Denbigh Moors (400m asl)

Kick this not cold spell out on its arsenal.

Temps on the rise here - now 3.3c DP 3.2c

Edited by Carl46Wrexham
  • Like 1

Posted

Yet another miserable day in this most miserable of winters. The only change has been that instead of mild rain we're getting cold rain. Roll on spring.

Pete

• Like 3

Posted

Temp now dropping here and feels colder than it says on the weather station , What are our hopes of snow tonight and tomorrow and monday (if there is any ) .

Down to 2.3 now

snows.JPG

Edited by Cloud buster
change in temp

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: freezing cold and lots of snow
32 minutes ago, Cloud buster said:

Temp now dropping here and feels colder than it says on the weather station , What are our hopes of snow tonight and tomorrow and monday (if there is any ) .

Down to 2.3 now

snows.JPG

I'd say no hope for us at lower levels cos this has just been a cool spell not cold spell 

• Like 1

Posted
1 hour ago, Cloud buster said:

What are our hopes of snow tonight and tomorrow and monday (if there is any ) .

Tonight and tomorrow, patchy light rain or sleet with snow on high ground but nothing more than that. Just the dribs and drabs associated with the system sliding down through England.

Monday is more interesting. The front has been corrected slightly Westwards and the models have a tendency to move these kind of setups further West as each run progresses so all is not lost. There's currently an awful lot of sleet in the forecast for Southeast Wales from late Sunday until early Tuesday. A one or two degree drop in temperature and a further Westwards correction or two, both of which are more likely than not going on past experiences and typical model behaviour, would put many of us in the firing line.

Edited by Jackfrost
  • Like 2

Posted

everything is still to play for going into Sunday night/all day Monday and now all day Tuesday - parts of Wales could still see a good dumping of snow out of this front that is approaching from the west and will undercut and stall - where it stalls is where the cold air will dig back in - it's still flipping cold out there now compared to the rest of the blow torch winter we've had so far.

gfs-2-60.png?12

gfs-2-72.png?12

gfs-2-72.png?12

• Like 1

Posted
1 minute ago, Jackfrost said:

Tonight and tomorrow, patchy light rain or sleet with snow on high ground but nothing more than that. Just the dribs and drabs associated with the system sliding down through England.

Monday is more interesting. The front has been corrected slightly Westwards and the models have a tendency to move these kind of setups further West as each run progresses so all is not lost. There's currently an awful lot of sleet in the forecast for Southeast Wales from late Sunday until early Tuesday. A one or two degree drop in temperature would put many of us in the sweet spot.

plus a little height - generally the gfs had us down for 4 degrees today but still didn't get past 2 here and will be dropping away now

• Like 1

Posted
40 minutes ago, andymusic said:

plus a little height - generally the gfs had us down for 4 degrees today but still didn't get past 2 here and will be dropping away now

Yes, an over-egging of the temperatures both by the models and TV forecasts has been notable over the last few days. I suppose that can be explained by altitude making such a huge difference to the weather in the UK, more than many other countries, that to cover every possible local outcome would require an hour-long weather forecast.

It has felt properly wintery around here with patches of lying snow, white hills in the distance, leaden skies with weak sun poking through and temperatures no higher than 2°C although, of course, there's nowhere near enough snow for my liking.

At the moment I'm more positive than negative about Monday, at least for inland South Wales, but that's probably cold comfort (no pun intended) for the majority who live on the coastal strip.

Edited by Jackfrost

Posted

3.2 deg here in newport at my height humidity 84 % with ho wind ,it reached 7 deg earlier . As i work outside i dont consider this cold at all ,so all this nonsense about a cold spell i don't understand.

I remamber as a kid skating on the canal with ice 4 or 5 inches thick after being frozen for days and having to dig my street out of snow to get the car out to take my gran to her hospital apt .

• Like 1

Posted
3 minutes ago, mickeyflyn said:

it reached 7 deg earlier

2.9°C in Cardiff, 1.9°C here, 7°C in Newport; that doesn't sound at all right!

Posted
2 minutes ago, SLAMMER said:

that happened 5 years ago.

Didn't get above 2.9 in central cardiff today.  thats below average.

Thats strange as i travel betwen cdf and npt most days and always find cdf 2deg milder than npt for some reason.

Posted

Well it is down to 0.6 c and still dropping ' fingers crossed we can get some of the white stuff very soon .:cc_confused:

Down to 0.4 c now

colder.JPG

Edited by Cloud buster
change in temp

Posted

There's an area of light precipitation (with a few heavier bursts) currently moving down through Wales. Expect it to decay and/or raise the uppers, but it's something to watch nonetheless.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold snowy Winters, warm stormy spring & sumemr, cool frosty Autumn!

Currently 5.3C here after a high of 7.9C, will be surprised if we get a frost tonight. Just hope the temperatures can drop back enough for Monday but during the day they just seem to be getting too high around here!

Posted

Interesting weather come Monday as the front stalls and wavers ,then retreats westwards , that"s according to the latest GFS.overnight Monday we could well see rain/sleet turn back to snow as colder air digs in from the East.