Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Wales - Weather Chat

Paul

Posted
On 11/30/2015 at 10:26 AM, andymusic said:

14th DECEMBER 00z and 06z - both confirming again today - blizzards and winter will kick off that day or around that day - yer we go folks

Guess, we'll have to wait a little bit longer... 

• Like 1

Posted
On 12/11/2015 at 9:59 PM, virtualsphere said:

Make the most of any colder weather now, as it's due to get mild again shortly and unfortunately looks very wet in the medium term:

GEFS Ensembles Chart

GEFS Ensembles Chart

For those looking for something colder there's still scope for the models to change before Christmas, but not looking too promising at this stage.

Possibly some good news - compared to the chart I posted above, it now looks like it might get a bit drier in the medium term between Christmas and New Year.  Not much colder though - more a gradual climbdown from exceptional warmth to slightly above average.

GEFS Ensembles Chart

GEFS Ensembles Chart

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Extremes of all kinds...

Well, looks like we can expect three to five days of pretty much non stop, at times heavy, rain with strong winds as an accompaniment.   Not Christmas shopping weather then.  I dont relish the thought of tramping around Carmarthen in the rain but at least the car parking is under cover!   We could certainly do with a few dry days to dry  us out after Christmas but the trend is not hopeful......

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, snowy..warm summers but not so hot you can fry an egg on the ground

there's a couple of more positive posts in the mod thread today.hopefully it is the start of something interesting brewing. I am really hoping we get some reward for the miserable mild and wet conditions we have endured the last few weeks and hopefully something to cheer about come the new year

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold Sancerre.

Hit 16.1 C here today - winter madness! Warmest Dec temp since I started with my first weather station in 2008.

Posted

This day in 2010 I saw a max of -2.4, average of -7.3. Lovely.

Edited by in the vale

Posted

That new stream past my front door is back with a vengeance today and looks like becoming a permanent feature.  Perhaps I should try to name it.....   Any suggestions? 

On on second thoughts, perhaps I should improve the drainage in the lane before Noah turns up....

Posted

ok folks - winter is looking like a bust i'm afraid and what with the met office thinking that 2016 will be the hottest year ever if we see any of the white stuff here in wales - i would be very surprised - amazing the way the set up will just not update and change - we are stuck once again in a set up that is just not conducive to snow but we did have that set up annoyingly just before winter started

Posted
On 14/12/2015 at 4:55 PM, marclt said:

Guess, we'll have to wait a little bit longer... 

sorry the weather models made a complete fool even out of me - and it's not looking too good for the rest of winter either - it'll take a massive change in jet stream set up and general set up for this to take a u turn now

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Extremes

I flipping hope so A_T.  I am getting really fed up with the mild damp or very wet conditions, with winds touching gale force - but even they haven't bought any excitement this year :sorry:

Posted

"sorry the weather models made a complete fool even out of me - and it's not looking too good for the rest of winter either - it'll take a massive change in jet stream set up and general set up for this to take a u turn now"

Never mind Andy  - Just goes to prove that none of the models can be relied upon much beyond six days out .  10 to 14 days ahead they really have no idea at all - any model which occasionally proves reasonably accurate at that time distance is pure chance and it happens very rarely anyway.   In my opinion, any weather the models predict beyond 8 days should be ignored - you're better off reading tea leaves - but the models are worth consulting for a three to five day forecast or maybe for general trends.  How can we place any faith in computer programs which swing wildly from one extreme to the other even in a 24 Hour period?   Just wait and see - as soon as the North Sea cools down to its minimum winter temperature after mid January, the conditions will be right for colder weather in the UK and snow to fall more widely.  The changes in the atmosphere needed for widespread snow have occurred in very short time frames in the past and will do so again in the future.  Not that I am making predictions, mind....

Posted

My December average hit 10.0 today - how rubbish is that?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Severe Weather

Wow - thunder and lightning here in North West Wales - where did that come from?! 

Posted

Thunder and lightning here through the night too! It was soo loud,scary really,well,obviously going to be a wet xmas day......... Maybe next year?!

Posted

Merry xmas:D snow lovers,maybe next week?! Remember it's presence not presents that counts, enjoy x

• Like 1

Posted

Raining hard here this morning, the lane I live in has a lot of standing water in it and my septic tank is almost full to the top.

Pete

Posted

Well well well..... This is a mild winter.  Not looking at all cold. Nice to have Christmas with the kids and rest and not out in it but be nice to get something done in January/February/March. How do these months look on the models? 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm dry summers

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: very cold or very hot

All roads closed in nw Wales. Very severe weather.  There is no linking Road from Gwynedd Anglesey and Llandudno.  

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer: warm, humid, thundery. Winter: mild, stormy, some snow.

One of the last places I'd expect to flood like that would be Llanfairfechan area.. how unusual!

Edited by SP1986

Posted

It shouldn't be taken literally because the charts at this range tend to show general patterns rather than the precise setup, but make no mistake: this is an excellent chart for Wales.

Recm1681.gif

Edited by Jackfrost