Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Wales - Weather Chat

Paul

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Thunderstorms, Hot Summer days

Have to agree with several posters here, so far this cool (cold   :rofl:  ) spell is more akin to a post equinox wintry spell, hail, sleet, cold rain and any snow looking stuff that falls is gone within minutes, however I do think we may have at least one more shot, even the everchanging 5 day forecast by hours is now showing sleet and even snow shower symbols which it hasn't for my location within 36 hours of T0 this spell. So keep faith!

• Like 1

Posted

If you want to see snow today you`ll have to take a trip to the highest hills or more especially mountains like the berwyns which must have good many inches looking from here.

Edited by Snowyowl9

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Thunderstorms, Hot Summer days

updated warnings âš  out for Wales from 2pm,snow and ice.

• Like 1

Posted

Still a snow warning for Sunday for Wales.

I suspect there's been a bit of snow Crymych/ Newcastle Emlyn way this morning...Can anyone confirm that?

And there's some brighter echoes refreshing the streamer from Cardigan Bay currently.

Though I agree that there has been a lack of widespread, lowland snow in this cool/cold spell that most people are after.

Edited by benb

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: extreme weather events and always love snow

come on guys and gals,, its not that this modern cold spell is not delivering, your just wearing the wrong clothes. Took the dog for a walk in my speedo's and a T shirt and decided on some suitable flip flops and let me tell you...

ITS ABSOLUTELY FREEZING OUT THERE..............

• Like 6

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms, Snow

I see warnings out from the Met Office for snow/ice for Wales also mentioning a more general area of light snow. Cant seem to identify this on the EURO 4 other than the possible snow in the east of the UK. Perhaps the UKV model is hinting at showers clustering together more and moving slightly more in land, we will see I wouldn't be surprised if it stays largely dry away from the far South West.

• Like 1

Posted

All met office warnings removed for Wales just now - for the next few days - looks like the games up for us with it turning more anti cyclonic later next week

A new set of warnings has been issued starting today at 2pm until tomorrow night.

I suspect there's been a bit of snow Crymych/ Newcastle Emlyn way this morning...Can anyone confirm that?

And there's some brighter echoes refreshing the streamer from Cardigan Bay currently.

Though I agree that there has been a lack of widespread, lowland snow in this cool/cold spell that most people are after.

It's hailing and wet snow up this way. Nothing sticking. Very windy however.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and thunderstorms

I see warnings out from the Met Office for snow/ice for Wales also mentioning a more general area of light snow. Cant seem to identify this on the EURO 4 other than the possible snow in the east of the UK. Perhaps the UKV model is hinting at showers clustering together more and moving slightly more in land, we will see I wouldn't be surprised if it stays largely dry away from the far South West.

Given that recent met office snow warnings have proven to be inaccurate and unwarranted, I'm not going to take any notice of this latest one. Not sure a warning of a "possible" 1-2cm at lower levels is warranted either.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow in winter, good sun at other times with appropriate rain.

Wintry showers sweeping through on biting wind. Soo glad am inside today!

Posted

The Euro4 has been pathetic all winter imo. Stick with the nmm and gfs both have been quite accurate lately.

http://www.meteociel.fr/modeles/wrfnmm.php?ech=3&mode=1&map=5

Posted

6.7 deg with a stiff north wind here ,no where near freezing and as i work outside it's mild !

Although some parts of the uk have had snow here in the lower lying areas of south east wales its been nothing unusual for the time of year.

all the exaggerated headlines from certain news papers have proved utter rubbish. As a 50 year old i can remember some nasty winters in the past with 2010 being the last and last years storms the most recent.

i think the metoffice do a good job and should do with the millions of pounds worth of technology they have at their disposal.

My 91 year old grandfather said people panic these days over a flake of snow or a frosty morning , when the ice on our pond is two inches thick and has been frozen for weeks thats when its cold ,when we have to dig a lane out of our street to the main road thats heavy snow . Many weather forecasters have never seen a real winter and doesn't see what all the fuss is about .

S have never seen

Edited by mickeyflyn
  • Like 2

Posted

Yellow Warning of Snow and Ice for Wales : Blaenau Gwent, Bridgend, Caerphilly, Cardiff, Carmarthenshire, Ceredigion, Conwy, Denbighshire, Flintshire, Gwynedd, Isle of Anglesey, Merthyr Tydfil, Monmouthshire, Neath Port Talbot, Newport, Pembrokeshire, Powys, Rhonnda Cynon Taff, Swansea, Torfaen, Vale of Glamorgan & Wrexham valid from 1400 Sat 31 Jan to 1200 Sun 01 Feb

Posted

Been lurking for some time mainly reading the mod thread ....

Nothing of any real note here all winter.

Last winter was much more interesting with the no hope for snow made up for by major storms.

This year has been so frustrating , so close but just not quite enough .

We have winds in our west wales favoured nnw direction yet it still sodding rains .

Wtf has to happen for snow.

This better be countered by a real long dry warm summer !

Posted

one mini blizzard and snow here now

can't believe no ones getting a pasting out of the wild west dangler right now :pardon:

Edited by andymusic
  • Like 1

Posted

Hail showers the small type,today but nothing of note,one settled briefly on one place on the roof where it blowed.

Otherwise just felt very cold in the strong N/NW wind and a bigger thaw to yesterday despite temps being lower at 4c max.

Now 2c with odd light showers about.

Edited by Snowyowl9

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: extreme weather events and always love snow

Out in the car andy, at the top of the hill i can see about 10 to 20 miles between the showers, sky is small blue patches between the mostly grey dense clouds but all land is green...... the dangler as you put it is delivering rain and sleet mostly at present.

Hopefully as night sets in the temp will drop further and the dangler keeps coming.. who knows???

currently 3 deg 

Edited by NoTraction

Posted

Out in the car andy, at the top of the hill i can see about 10 to 20 miles between the showers, sky is small blue patches between the mostly grey dense clouds but all land is green...... the dangler as you put it is delivering rain and sleet mostly at present.

Hopefully as night sets in the temp will drop further and the dangler keeps coming.. who knows???

currently 3 deg 

that's a shame - what a waste - maybe later eh

The Met Office's yellow "be aware" warning is in force until Sunday afternoon with the most frequent sleet and snow showers expected to come overnight.

http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-wales-31035061

Posted

Is the wind is coming from the North, and with such strength... Why isn't it colder??

Sea temps too warm?

Posted

Temps here: 3.3°C

Dew point -0.2°C.

Falling dew point is an improvement.

Posted

What would you accept now ?

Waking up to a minimal 1-2cm covering that slowly thaws and is gone in 2 days ( and that's the best you get this winter )

Or

Gamble your 1-2cm of guaranteed snow for the prospect of a possibly major 10-20 cm event that stays intact for 3-4 days , plus other events ( with February almost upon us time is starting to run out )

I think at this point I would take the 1-2 cm then write off the winter as average and hope for an early spring .

It's feels like pulling hens teeth to get reasonable snowfall this winter( imby perspective ).

Teased by the snow gods we are.

The more we are teased the greater the obsession becomes.

• Like 5