Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Wales - Weather Chat

Paul

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and thunderstorms

Outside temperature was at 0.8c - sounds ok doesnt it? But the dew point was +0.7c = very wet slushy rubbish. After missing out last night, this is all the more gutting.

• Like 1

Posted

Hi all

Been a lurker to this forum for a number of years, mainly during the winter months as I'm a snow lover and have learned lots. . I consider this to be the best place to go for near accurate weather forecasts, without hype.. though I do love andymusic's ramping! I have noticed he's been a little more restrained this season however..

Anyway,the reason I've surfaced from the lurkers depths is because today, I've relocated from a Cardiff suburb to a small village in Blaenau Gwent, and, this evening.. It snowed!! Lots of it, tumbling from the sky like cotton wool balls.. Just lovely :)

Hope to see a lot more now I'm here.. will try and work out asl soon.. Happy! :)

• Like 6

Posted

Hi all

Been a lurker to this forum for a number of years, mainly during the winter months as I'm a snow lover and have learned lots. . I consider this to be the best place to go for near accurate weather forecasts, without hype.. though I do love andymusic's ramping! I have noticed he's been a little more restrained this season however..

Anyway,the reason I've surfaced from the lurkers depths is because today, I've relocated from a Cardiff suburb to a small village in Blaenau Gwent, and, this evening.. It snowed!! Lots of it, tumbling from the sky like cotton wool balls.. Just lovely :)

Hope to see a lot more now I'm here.. will try and work out asl soon.. Happy! :)

Welcome to the forums LynnRoss, yes Blaenau Gwent is a very cold place in general. Snow showers for you tonight! Light flurries :( Edited by ancientsolar

Posted

Well we had a dusting last night and all looked good bit now another mild sector with this trough from the north and its once again sleety rain. I'm 200m ASL so it's going to have to be high elevations that profit from this once again. Roll on spring, this winter is more disappointing than last, at least then we didn't have any hope. I've never known set ups like this where we are having a lot of troughs coming down from the north bringing constant rain/sleet.

Posted

Well we had a dusting last night and all looked good bit now another mild sector with this trough from the north and its once again sleety rain. I'm 200m ASL so it's going to have to be high elevations that profit from this once again. Roll on spring, this winter is more disappointing than last, at least then we didn't have any hope. I've never known set ups like this where we are having a lot of troughs coming down from the north bringing constant rain/sleet.

Waiting for the warm sector to clears later today,Northerly wind pick up later ,Last chance saloon tonight /Sunday Monday ,from this current COOL spell ,ANNOYING lol that it only snows across the border :wallbash: :wallbash:..An  ironic sad lol.

Edited by keithlucky
  • Like 1

Posted

I called this cool spell correctly before it even started, back when the MOD thread and TV forecasts were wetting themselves over a "screaming Northerly" (Helen Willetts's words) and "significant snow". I was insistent that it wouldn't deliver in this part of the world based upon nothing but intuition and past experience.

Well, what do we have now? Endless sleet and rain showers interspersed with sunny periods, temperatures of 4-6C and a gentle, chilly breeze. Oh yes, it really is bitter out there, isn't it? True Arctic conditions! The hype over weather in this country is truly embarrassing.

The one positive that may have come from this experience is that we'll all ignore the MOD discussion, TV forecasts and Met Office warnings in future and just watch the sky.

N.B.: Tuesday: Rain or sleet for most of Wales as a warm sector gets involved, snow above 250-300m. After that chilly (not cold) and dry until the breakdown and return of the Atlantic. Next stop Spring!  :yahoo:

Edited by Jackfrost

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, snowy..warm summers but not so hot you can fry an egg on the ground

hmmm..all weather warnings for se wales removed from the met office website this morning.not the best start to the Moring.

still I'm walking up to the top of pen-y-fan tomorrow so should see some lying snow up there

Posted

A fierce night (and morning) of weather here. Constant hail showers overnight lashing against the window and gusty conditions too.

Posted

hmmm..all weather warnings for se wales removed from the met office website this morning.not the best start to the Moring.

still I'm walking up to the top of pen-y-fan tomorrow so should see some lying snow up there

They will be gone from West Wales by the lunchtime update...massive downgrade over night, gone from the Mets ''Heavy, frequent snow showers giving tempoary Blizzard conditions'' to ''light wintry showers fading away'' in just 12 hours for tomorrow.......rather worrying that these synoptic patterns can't even deliver a sleet shower here.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms, Snow

Looking at the radar a streamer has set up just to the west of Swansea with some heavy showers embedded within that, wouldn't be surprised if we start seeing some lightning strikes over western coasts over the next few hours.

The flow is set to gradually switch to a more NNW direction with upper air temperatures falling by the afternoon & into the evening, dew points remaining a marginal factor but the GFS does show these to drop along with the freezing level during the afternoon also. Im not sure how much precipitation will be around by this point as it may be the drop coincides with the precipitation clearing through.

Radar shows quite a bit of precipitation to the South of London, precipitation type shows its mostly snow - Lucky them if it is!

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold and Snowy, Hot and Dry, Blizzard Conditions
  • Weather Preferences: Cold and Snowy, Hot and Dry, Blizzard Conditions

Looking at the radar a streamer has set up just to the west of Swansea with some heavy showers embedded within that, wouldn't be surprised if we start seeing some lightning strikes over western coasts over the next few hours.

The flow is set to gradually switch to a more NNW direction with upper air temperatures falling by the afternoon & into the evening, dew points remaining a marginal factor but the GFS does show these to drop along with the freezing level during the afternoon also. Im not sure how much precipitation will be around by this point as it may be the drop coincides with the precipitation clearing through.

Radar shows quite a bit of precipitation to the South of London, precipitation type shows its mostly snow - Lucky them if it is!

Very sleety here, but not to snow, strong north winds.

All to play for with upper temps going down later - evaporative cooling could help too in those heavy showers.

Let's wait and see :)

• Like 1

Posted

The past couple of mornings I feel like a kid who hasn't received the present from Santa that I really wanted.

:cray:

• Like 5

Posted

5c and just starting to rain in Tenby (it rarely does anything else!)

You'd think higher parts of Pembs/Carms would see some snow later, as the colder air returns from the north.

Just hope that streamer stays active...

Sledging on the Preselis tomorrow- maybe!

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold . snow

-1.2 temp ...14mph winds..........3 inches snow on ground.............biting windchill............

• Like 2

Posted

I've had it up to here with this overhyped so called cold spell. Yes it's cold when you are exposed to the wind, but that is a given isn't it? Out of the wind?....nope, known worse.

Now turning to the weather that this spell is delivering.....frosts? Nope. Snow? Ha.

What we have had is rain and sleet ... Oh and a short spell last night of the equivalent of what you'd find in a pre flavoured slush puppy container...soaking wet, transparent sloppy muck that once in its existence would have been fluffy white snow. Yuk!

Seeing all the postings from over the border talking about the snow they've had, then moaning because it's starting to melt! Sod off...at least you've had some!!!

What do I see looking out my window? Green grass which is now becoming waterlogged in places, as are the neighbouring farmers fields!

Call this a cold spell? Shove it....it's rubbish.

• Like 3

Posted

I've had it up to here with this overhyped so called cold spell. Yes it's cold when you are exposed to the wind, but that is a given isn't it? Out of the wind?....nope, known worse.

Now turning to the weather that this spell is delivering.....frosts? Nope. Snow? Ha.

What we have had is rain and sleet ... Oh and a short spell last night of the equivalent of what you'd find in a pre flavoured slush puppy container...soaking wet, transparent sloppy muck that once in its existence would have been fluffy white snow. Yuk!

Seeing all the postings from over the border talking about the snow they've had, then moaning because it's starting to melt! Sod off...at least you've had some!!!

What do I see looking out my window? Green grass which is now becoming waterlogged in places, as are the neighbouring farmers fields!

Call this a cold spell? Shove it....it's rubbish.

I'm sure I said before this "cold spell" started it wouldn't be anymore than below average temps and that's how its turned out. Daytime temps of 5/6 degrees isn't a cold spell IMO.
  • Like 2

Posted

This current spell reminds me of the "wintry" weather that sometimes occurs in April...cold but not cold enough to deliver...and what snow does fall to lower levels is half melted gloop. Certainly not what I'd expect from a January (hype) "screaming northerly" arf!

Edited by Carl46Wrexham
  • Like 2

Posted

Hailing here now.

Makes a change from the rain, anyway.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: extreme weather events and always love snow

Dont forget this is a modern cold spell!!!!!

you need to subtract 10 deg to find the modern temp......

Its currently minus 6 deg here and and allot of modern snow falling making it look lovely and grey..

almost a total greyout here at the moment.......

• Like 4

Posted

Temp down to 3c and a few flakes of SNOW!! coming down!

• Like 2

Posted

My nine year old son has just asked me "when does the cold spell start?"

That just says it all......

Posted

Good luck mate, nice streamer.

It's stopped now. The sun's out and the hail's melting!

Still, it was fun while it lasted!

I'd have thought there'd be a covering N and E of here, more directly under the streamer.

Maybe get something tonight when the temps supposed to be a bit lower. I won't hold my breath though...